• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and got the Moto X Pure Style.

I like the phone so far. Not as big or heavy as I would imagine.

But still... Something inside feels like I should have waited.

Buyer's remorse incoming.

Guess you decided against buying my OP2 :p I've used both the Pure and I like the OP2 better personally, but neither were a worthy upgrade from my OPO.

HawkeyeIC

Now that I've order the 6P and am in waiting game, why did Google need to announce the phone a month ahead of time? Just so they could push out M? The wait is going to be brutal.

Kevyt

Guess you decided against buying my OP2 :p I've used both the Pure and I like the OP2 better personally, but neither were a worthy upgrade from my OPO.

Yeah I'm really conflicted to be honest.

I really want the OP2, mostly because it's battery will be better and the specs are better.

However what I really like about the Pure is the Micro SD slot which is where I have all of my music, and other documents. I also like the fact that it's sort of water proof. I took a shower with it and listened to music. It was interesting lol.

I also like the camera. It's really good, at least a step up from the phones that I've had (potato phones).

As far as the battery goes, it's on par with my previous phone (Asus Zenfone 2).

Build quality is very solid too.

Yes, I would have loved to have gotten the OPT but I'm not really complaining with the Pure, oh and NFC too. I use NFC, not a lot, but it's nice to have when swapping files between phones and other NFC enabled devices.

Android bros, look what I just did.

AburRBp.png

4TfeeGW.png

JoeFu

Banned
Conflicted on where to buy the 6P whenever I do end up buying it.

Thinking about buying from Huawei's site just because no sales tax. Not sure I need nexus protection, but it would be nice to have........

Conflicted on where to buy the 6P whenever I do end up buying it.

Thinking about buying from Huawei's site just because no sales tax. Not sure I need nexus protection, but it would be nice to have........

Do you know if they charge when you order or ship? I'm thinking about going through them for no tax also.

-edit- nevermind they charge tax in Texas.

reKon

Banned
the only reason I went back and considered getting these phones was because of project fi.

I'm hoping that some of you give us impressions of project fi over the next few months.

JoeFu

Banned
Do you know if they charge when you order or ship? I'm thinking about going through them for no tax also.

-edit- nevermind they charge tax in Texas.

aww poop. read that 45 states weren't charged tax... Guess Texas was one of the lucky ones. Should have known though since I work right by the Huawei building they'd probably charge tax. So guess it's Play Store for me whenever I do get it.

Since Oneplus Two isn't a True Never Settle Phone, then what is in 2015?

I want to see the Nexus 6P do well. It seems so much better than the Nexus 6. Hopefully it doesn't have heating issues.

aww poop. read that 45 states weren't charged tax... Guess Texas was one of the lucky ones. Should have known though since I work right by the Huawei building they'd probably charge tax. So guess it's Play Store for me whenever I do get it.

Yeah, I was hyped to order from Huawei until I saw the tax anyway. I'm still holding out hope that Amazon puts it up soon so I can order through there and use gift cards and get it earlier.

Since Oneplus Two isn't a True Never Settle Phone, then what is in 2015?

Note 5 or S6+ Edge are the closest you get this year.

Furyous

Both the Nexus 5X/6P have IR autofocus. How long will it take someone to use the IR as an IR blaster?

5X seems like the more sensible bet as far as price but I have concerns about OTG support. I found this Usb-c microsd reader. By the time I buy a microsd card this brings the price of the 5X to $474. Then again, Google offers $50 of Google Play Credit. I have $20 unused credit on my account so I'd wind up spending $404.

This is such a hard decision deciding between Nexae and Z5. Z5 is the best for me but screw not receiving updates in three years and Sony's six month flagship release cycle.

linkboy

Opted to go with a Nexus 6 64GB (blue) when it got the price drop on Amazon.

I just got it in today and so far I love it. Just need to get Kakaotalk fully back up and running (which is proving a lot harder then it should be) and I'll be good to go.

Coming from a Nexus 5 that made me want to smash it with a hammer, it's nice to have a phone that doesn't lag, freeze and just not work at times.

Reckoner

I just got it in today and so far I love it. Just need to get Kakaotalk fully back up and running (which is proving a lot harder then it should be) and I'll be good to go.

Coming from a Nexus 5 that made me want to smash it with a hammer, it's nice to have a phone that doesn't lag, freeze and just not work at times.

Now go ahead and calibrate the screen and change the dpi to the default 493. Only then you'll be experiencing the best of the Nexus 6.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I went ahead and got the Moto X Pure Style.

I like the phone so far. Not as big or heavy as I would imagine.

But still... Something inside feels like I should have waited.

Buyer's remorse incoming.

I am having the opposite impression as you. Been using the Moto X for several hours and finding it too big. I am coming from a Nexus 5. I was already planning on returning the Moto X since I have 6P on order but the 6P is even a little larger. I may cancel that an get a 5X.

kami_sama

Now go ahead and calibrate the screen and change the dpi to the default 493. Only then you'll be experiencing the best of the Nexus 6.

Can you change the dpi to such granularity? In CM you can do it in increments of 20.

Also, if the battery life is good to great in the 6P, I guess I'll have to save for it.
I think the 5X has ambient display. Does the 6P have it?

thuway

I'm holding out for reviews of the 6P. If the Nexus 6P's camera performs on par with the top guns, I'll be jumping in ASAP. I remember this time last year Notbacon and I were going bananas for the Moto Nexus 6. Than the reviews came steam rolling in and I had to pull out because the upgrade just wasn't worth it from my Note 3.

The Note 3 has treated me so well. Excellent battery (around 4-5 hrs SOT), Mod support (CM 12.1 is butter), and a fantastic camera for it's age. Make me upgrade Googs. The only thing that's been worrying is the burn in on the top of the phone but that's to be expected. Three years in though, you've been one tough warrior.

Lunar FC

Loving basically everything about my M9 so far. Running a little hot but i'm sure that's mostly due to downloading 30 apps and constant use.

tzare

Wow. Huawei hit it out of the park with the 6P with the battery, serviceable camera and a great display. If it had the fingerprint up front and a non 810, it would be damn near perfect. And stock Android with only a $499 price tag. They won 2015. Now let's talk about what we want in 2016.

i think it just needs a natural evolution, keep all the things they did right and update soc, camera etc...
Maybe add missing features, ir blaster/wireless charging/sd...

ALso great to see finally a xperia doing everything right, and doing a great camera,plus fingerprint scanner. Seems the skip year is near the end, only 810 being the 'problem' here, on both xperia z5 series and Nexus 6P

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Short little Google Now on Tap video from DroidLife. Pretty amazing stuff. I wish the video was longer and he tested more out with it, but yeah, really dope feature.

https://youtu.be/q7Fx2hwd5e8

Genuinely pretty amazing. Assuming even if it goes to iOS it won't have the system integration to pull that up from other apps so could really be a good reason to stay on android. I've found Google now pretty crappy recently, but this is actually useful contextual search. Surprised it has taken this long - you'd think this would be easier than the 'intelligent' main Google now trying to figure out what is interesting for you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Both the Nexus 5X/6P have IR autofocus. How long will it take someone to use the IR as an IR blaster?

5X seems like the more sensible bet as far as price but I have concerns about OTG support. I found this Usb-c microsd reader. By the time I buy a microsd card this brings the price of the 5X to $474. Then again, Google offers $50 of Google Play Credit. I have $20 unused credit on my account so I'd wind up spending $404.

This is such a hard decision deciding between Nexae and Z5. Z5 is the best for me but screw not receiving updates in three years and Sony's six month flagship release cycle.

I thought Sony said they were moving away from the six month thing? And the updates aren't that bad, I've had 5.1.1 for a while now.

npa189

That's what you think now, wait for camera crashes and random reboots

http://youtu.be/QMchOpvbUbI

But seriously I hope it works out for you. I loved the form factor of that phone I just couldn't handle the rotten software.

Phear

Man, the decision is so damn hard... I wish i hadn't dropped my N5. If the screen wouldn't have been completely broken, i guess, i would've stayed with it. I don't know why, but something is holding me back to put down the order for the S6 or G4... Maybe Z5 will be my saviour.

Pachimari

Man, I'm kind of disappointed in the iPhone 6.

It feels a little sluggish and slow when browsing, and it have already crashed many times in Safari and Chrome while loading GAF.

Even games like Crossy Road have a worse frame rate than on my old LG G3.

And then it isn't that wide, which can give my rather large hands cramps.

The good things are the space and battery.

Man, the decision is so damn hard... I wish i hadn't dropped my N5. If the screen wouldn't have been completely broken, i guess, i would've stayed with it. I don't know why, but something is holding me back to put down the order for the S6 or G4... Maybe Z5 will be my saviour.

I'd say the G4 is a solid choice for under 400 bucks.

The problem is none of the phones are really an upgrade over the Nexus 5, outside of battery life. At least not if you had the same experience I do.

Upgrades out of necessity always suck.

Phear

Yeah, that's exactly what i mean. I loved my N5, but i won't buy it again because it's 2 years old. I'm strange.

I'll wait for Z5 user impressions for now...

tzare

It does appear to be missing some features that the 6P is capable of biggest of which is electronic image stabilization which means it has no stabilization at all. Also no 240 fps slo-mo and no smartburst.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-because-the-snapdragon-808-isnt-fast-enough/

so what happens when sd810 throttles? if it does obviously

According to the specs page it has auto image stabilization while the 6s+ has that plus OIS. The 6s also has cinematic imagine stabilization for video.
according to Erica Griffin:
Peoples, OIS is used only for photos on the iPhone 6 Plus. Apple did not use OIS in video. Instead they used DIS algorithm "Cinematic Stabilization" the same on the iPhone 6. It is only now that Apple is integrating OIS into video on the 6s Plus. I had a very good Apple contact reveal this to me.

Denton

Yeah I'm really conflicted to be honest.

I really want the OP2, mostly because it's battery will be better and the specs are better.

However what I really like about the Pure is the Micro SD slot which is where I have all of my music, and other documents. I also like the fact that it's sort of water proof. I took a shower with it and listened to music. It was interesting lol.

I also like the camera. It's really good, at least a step up from the phones that I've had (potato phones).

As far as the battery goes, it's on par with my previous phone (Asus Zenfone 2).

Build quality is very solid too.

Yes, I would have loved to have gotten the OPT but I'm not really complaining with the Pure, oh and NFC too. I use NFC, not a lot, but it's nice to have when swapping files between phones and other NFC enabled devices.
What is better about moto x pure compared to zenfone 2 ?
Why did you switch ?

Has this been posted? Android Police has some nice overview how everyone sans the US is getting mugged with the Nexus prices: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/prices-nexus-5x-nexus-6p-across-globe/

Also, in the comments section, a user mentioned the polish price of the 6P with 1999 Zloty, going by actual conversion rates to €, that would be about ~473€, plus it should be the international version with all required bands.

So, Googles first polish megaseller? I can see myself trying to import from there. Also since Poland is in the EU ... there are no import fees, either.

E:
LOL, i just saw the prices in Italy ... Google be like "F*ck Europe, and f*ck Italy in particular!" ... Sheesh Google, whatever you're smoking, you gotta smoke fewer.

PREACH

Let's keep the IR Blaster conversation ongoing. Thinking about emailing a few of the IR app devs to see if its possible in theory.

Also this Type C fiasco. Ridic. Google reps claiming 3.0 and it turns out to be 2.0. No one is going to adopt type c until we start moving to 3.0.

Sammy was doing USB 3.0 2 and 3 years ago. Right now I believe that they are the only ones that can save us. Gotta gimme something more than , "wow I don't have to look at the cable I'm plugging into my phone duh...."

If that's your killer feature for type c, i'm good , don't bother. Rather you give me a proper IR Blaster. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom