• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

PREACH

Sammy was doing USB 3.0 2 and 3 years ago. Right now I believe that they are the only ones that can save us. Gotta gimme something more than , "wow I don't have to look at the cable I'm plugging into my phone duh...."

They were using the huge ass Micro USB B 3.0 that no one made accessories for though so people ended up just using it in 2.0 mode.

Pachimari

I hope more phones integrates IR blaster next year. I might replace my iPhone 6 in 2016, so I'll be looking at Samsung and LG primarily but also Sony and the Nexus line.

PREACH

Let's keep the IR Blaster conversation ongoing. Thinking about emailing a few of the IR app devs to see if its possible in theory.

Also this Type C fiasco. Ridic. Google reps claiming 3.0 and it turns out to be 2.0. No one is going to adopt type c until we start moving to 3.0.

Sammy was doing USB 3.0 2 and 3 years ago. Right now I believe that they are the only ones that can save us. Gotta gimme something more than , "wow I don't have to look at the cable I'm plugging into my phone duh...."

If that's your killer feature for type c, i'm good , don't bother. Rather you give me a proper IR Blaster. ;)

OVSv7qV.jpg

This is how Samsung did USB 3.0. Noooo thank you!

And get out with your IR Blaster. My Qi charging is more important! :lol

OVSv7qV.jpg

This is how Samsung did USB 3.0. Noooo thank you!

And get out with your IR Blaster. My Qi charging is more important! :lol

Right and that's why they fell back to 2.0. My point is that with a USB 3.0 type c implementation you don't have to worry about that big ass plug. That picture right there is basically the whole reason for type c. Hopefully they always wanted to go back to 3.0, just not at the expense of the port taking up all that space.

I never use wireless charging. Thing is I always want to, its just that always in the back if my mind thing that never panned out. When wireless charging gets upgrading to be faster and further from the charger, I think we will see a huge return to and mainstream adoption of it.

IR Blaster for life though. It's just so damn convenient.

All that being said, still looking forward to the arrival of my 6P. (and Pixel C!)

roytheone

I can actually buy a new Oneplus one 64 GB for relatively cheap. I know it is an older phone, but the new one is almost impossible to buy and I have heard it was a bit disappointing. Is the oneplus one still a good buy today?

Toki767

The Nexus team's answer for why the 5X doesn't have wireless charging demonstrates the fundamental design flaw in virtually all phones that Apple started.

Super thin phones at the expense of features (or a bigger battery) is stupid.

Mindwipe

I did warn people about the USB-C controller situation being a fucking disaster. The logistics of getting them in devices running at USB 3.0 speeds at appropriate price and in the right timescales are significant.

We are not going to see any good USB-C implementations in phones this year. We will see some good ones next September, but not universally. It will start to be common the September after that.

It's essentially HDMI2.0a all over again.

tzare

The Nexus team's answer for why the 5X doesn't have wireless charging demonstrates the fundamental design flaw in virtually all phones that Apple started.

Super thin phones at the expense of features (or a bigger battery) is stupid.

YUp : premium look > features

the fun thing is people then use cases that make the phone thicker and uglier, lol worthy

That said, and not a big fan of that 3D touch thing, but Google now on tap could be one of those features that could benefit from that different input method

did warn people about the USB-C controller situation being a fucking disaster. The logistics of getting them in devices running at USB 3.0 speeds at appropriate price and in the right timescales are significant.

We are not going to see any good USB-C implementations in phones this year. We will see some good ones next September, but not universally. It will start to be common the September after that.

It's essentially HDMI2.0a all over again.

yes, yet some people said that if new phones didn't have USB C it was a disaster. Things need to be ready to launch, otherwise is a fucking mess.

Mindwipe

yes, yet some people said that if new phones didn't have USB C it was a disaster. Things need to be ready to launch, otherwise is a fucking mess.

Things aren't ever really ready to launch. Or if they are, that means they've already been passed on by the market. No launch of a new standard ever has gone smoothly.

"Disaster" was probably the wrong word, because it's entirely predictable. "Chaos" would be better. Because these situations are always messy and chaotic. Transitions are usually a mess (I think people sometimes misuse this to say "transitions being a mess is okay", which is not true).

USB-C will be great three years from now. But it's just gonna be a long, muddy slog to get there in a way that is going to disappoint a lot of people.

tzare

Things aren't ever really ready to launch. Or if they are, that means they've already been passed on by the market. No launch of a new standard ever has gone smoothly.

"Disaster" was probably the wrong word, because it's entirely predictable. "Chaos" would be better. Because these situations are always messy and chaotic. Transitions are usually a mess (I think people sometimes misuse this to say "transitions being a mess is okay", which is not true).

USB-C will be great three years from now. But it's just gonna be a long, muddy slog to get there in a way that is going to disappoint a lot of people.

transitions are a mess, sure, but c'mon, what is USB C for?

faster transfer rates? - how many people connect the phone to pcs these days to transfer files? And how often to care about 5 more minutes once every now and then?

fast charging? already available for USB 2.0

reversible connector so you do not breake it ? nice to have, but already a zillion smartphones out there, so no hurries, finish specs, and then launch

PREACH

Let's keep the IR Blaster conversation ongoing. Thinking about emailing a few of the IR app devs to see if its possible in theory.

Also this Type C fiasco. Ridic. Google reps claiming 3.0 and it turns out to be 2.0. No one is going to adopt type c until we start moving to 3.0.

If that's your killer feature for type c, i'm good , don't bother. Rather you give me a proper IR Blaster. ;)
Galaxy S6 uses USB 2.0 if I'm not mistaken?

Cheebo

Banned
Just realized will these new usb c nexus/pixel devices able to have usb c flash drives and the like connect to them to share files?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
..and ordered the Moto X Play after this huge disappointment that was the Euro Nex 5x.

Aw man, finally a new phone. Feels still weird to not go Nexus this time, but whatever, it'll be fine.

so what happens when sd810 throttles? if it does obviously

according to Erica Griffin:

Doesn't sound like anyone asked about the 810 it that Google addressed.

That quote from Erica Griffin is correct about the 6+. The 6s+ definitely uses OIS for both pictures and photos though.

SimleuqiR

So this posted on G+

"Google's Nexus phones are just ads" - TheVerge

Not linking since I didn't even visit the website.
These guys are obsessed with ads now. Apple makes it easy to block ads and they are shitting in their pants.

Saiyan-Rox

So this posted on G+

These guys are obsessed with ads now. Apple makes it easy to block ads and they are shitting in their pants.

The verge are a joke. Might swell call themselves iVerge.

So this posted on G+

The Verge.. Ugh..

I miss the glory days of when Paul and Joshua were killing it.

Kevyt

I am having the opposite impression as you. Been using the Moto X for several hours and finding it too big. I am coming from a Nexus 5. I was already planning on returning the Moto X since I have 6P on order but the 6P is even a little larger. I may cancel that an get a 5X.

I am coming from a Zenfone 2 which is almost almost the exact same size and I feel right at home.

What is better about moto x pure compared to zenfone 2 ?
Why did you switch ?

The build quality is just much better. If you drop your ZF2 even from a very low place you will most likely see a cracked screen.

I would say the battery is about the same for the two.

I ended up switching because the ZF2 stopped working. The soft keys and the lower quarter of the screen doesn't work at all. I called Asus and they were supposed to send me an email with instructions on how to RMA but it's been two days and nothing so far. I'll have to call them again.

I never dropped my ZF2 or anything. Always took good care of it, and it's disappointing that after two months this happened.

So this posted on G+

That column was nonsensical.

He talked about how meager Nexus sales are and then later claimed that the Nexus line's low pricing was somehow a huge financial threat to the other OEMs making Android phones.

Why the fuck would a narrowly distributed phone line with tiny sales be so damaging to the OEMs' efforts to turn a profit? The only company hurting financially from the Nexus line is Google, actually.

Also, Vlad Savov's claim that OEMs no longer fuck up stock Android is laughably false.

It's gotten better, but OEMs (Samsung especially) are still doing plenty to screw up the OS with their customized skins.

Man, I'm kind of disappointed in the iPhone 6.

It feels a little sluggish and slow when browsing, and it have already crashed many times in Safari and Chrome while loading GAF.

Even games like Crossy Road have a worse frame rate than on my old LG G3.

It's Apple magic dude, the power of the almighty 1GB RAM. Maybe you should pester the ones who’d given you this advice for some tips on how they’re able to experience such breathtaking smoothness.

Has this been posted? Android Police has some nice overview how everyone sans the US is getting mugged with the Nexus prices: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/prices-nexus-5x-nexus-6p-across-globe/

Also, in the comments section, a user mentioned the polish price of the 6P with 1999 Zloty, going by actual conversion rates to €, that would be about ~473€, plus it should be the international version with all required bands.

So, Googles first polish megaseller? I can see myself trying to import from there. Also since Poland is in the EU ... there are no import fees, either.

E:
LOL, i just saw the prices in Italy ... Google be like "F*ck Europe, and f*ck Italy in particular!" ... Sheesh Google, whatever you're smoking, you gotta smoke fewer.
Whoa, not even $50 play credit? Yup, everyone outside of NA got fucked bad. And in yurop’s case, got shoved a durian. Seriously, at these ludicrous conversions the rest of the world are just morons subsidising the US.

Whoa, not even $50 play credit? Yup, everyone outside of NA got fucked bad. And in yurop’s case, got shoved a durian. Seriously, at these ludicrous conversions the rest of the world are just morons subsidising the US.
Woah, good that you quoted my post ... totally forgot that

Because the polish price was not for the 6P, but for the 5X, the user on Android Police got them mixed ... so no good deal, after all ...

Reckoner

Can you change the dpi to such granularity? In CM you can do it in increments of 20.

Also, if the battery life is good to great in the 6P, I guess I'll have to save for it.
I think the 5X has ambient display. Does the 6P have it?

I did it when I had mine. Using the phone was so much better with those two changes.

Man, the decision is so damn hard... I wish i hadn't dropped my N5. If the screen wouldn't have been completely broken, i guess, i would've stayed with it. I don't know why, but something is holding me back to put down the order for the S6 or G4... Maybe Z5 will be my saviour.

Wait for more impressions on the Z5 ;)

DagsJT

Clearly OnePlus don't want my money. From what I can see, the OPT isn't exactly selling like crazy yet they've still got this silly invite system and people like me waiting to give them money.

Crazy.

Busaiku

Note 5 came in last night.
Was using Note 3 since the start of last year, so this feels like a huge step up.
The slimmer body makes it so much easier to hold. I saw some people complain about it being slippery, but I'm not feeling that.
Not too bad in terms of fingerprints either (on gold).

When is Samsung pay supposed to launch?
Edit - Turns out it's already up on US devices. Guess this was the only downside to getting the international.

popeutlal

I have such a hard time paying for an expensive Android phone, no matter how powerful or new features the phone has, something better always seems to come out in a few months.

After paying $600+ for the newest phone, I'd want the newest thing half a year later.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
yeah great battery but its a laggy piece of shit. cant wait for my 5x to arrive

Man, coming from Lollipop LG G3 (seriously did not like what they did with lollipop) my play seems snappy in comparison.

There is jitter for me, though I mostly experience it when quickly switching between apps when starting up some music apps. Depends on your priorities and mine are battery all day, everyday. The google launcher update also seemed to have smoothed out the home screen by quite a lot, so it gives me hope that it's a software thing that can be fixed. Though the jitter doesn't happen often enough to impact what I do.

teiresias

I have such a hard time paying for an expensive Android phone, no matter how powerful or new features the phone has, something better always seems to come out in a few months.

After paying $600+ for the newest phone, I'd want the newest thing half a year later.

At this point I'm all in on only using Nexus devices so I tend to not really have this problem - so it's more like an Apple release schedule in that regard. If you don't mind OEM cruft though I can see how this is an issue.

Furyous

PREACH

Can you let us know what the devs say? It seems like a good project to start.

Is LG going to sell 64 and 128 GB versions of the 5X? The 5X 32 GB is $420. The 6P 32 GB is $500. This gives LG options:

64 and 128 GB 5X with the same specs for $460 and $500 respectively
128 GB version with 3 GB of RAM and 2900 Mah battery for $600.

I preordered a 5X but will cancel it LG decides to release a 64 GB version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom