• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Has this been posted? Android Police has some nice overview how everyone sans the US is getting mugged with the Nexus prices: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/prices-nexus-5x-nexus-6p-across-globe/

Also, in the comments section, a user mentioned the polish price of the 6P with 1999 Zloty, going by actual conversion rates to €, that would be about ~473€, plus it should be the international version with all required bands.

So, Googles first polish megaseller? I can see myself trying to import from there. Also since Poland is in the EU ... there are no import fees, either.

E:
LOL, i just saw the prices in Italy ... Google be like "F*ck Europe, and f*ck Italy in particular!" ... Sheesh Google, whatever you're smoking, you gotta smoke fewer.

Isn't this due to taxes and tariffs in other countries? I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Denton

I am coming from a Zenfone 2 which is almost almost the exact same size and I feel right at home.

The build quality is just much better. If you drop your ZF2 even from a very low place you will most likely see a cracked screen.

I would say the battery is about the same for the two.

I ended up switching because the ZF2 stopped working. The soft keys and the lower quarter of the screen doesn't work at all. I called Asus and they were supposed to send me an email with instructions on how to RMA but it's been two days and nothing so far. I'll have to call them again.

I never dropped my ZF2 or anything. Always took good care of it, and it's disappointing that after two months this happened.

Thanks for answer. I just got ZF2 a week ago and so far it has been awesome. Today I received the flip cover case and tempered glass, so hopefully it will not get destroyed whenever I manage to drop it. Now I just have to hope it won't die on me too :)

Furyous

Now that a lot of new Android phones are out, what phone are you getting next?

Have a 5X preordered but want a Z5. Z5 has a better hardware, supports microsd, and has a side mounted fingerprint scanner. It's substantially taller than the 5X. Security concerns have me going Nexus just so the device receives updates after two years. If all else fails I can cancel the preorder before the device ships in 3 to 4 weeks anyway.

+45% is overkill, far more than the taxes would make it. +20-24% would cover the VAT.

I was planning on staying with my Nexus 5 for five years anyway, the only reason upgrading came up was because my family could really use a phone upgrade. But not this year, 2015 truly is skip year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Was ok google always incapable of setting a timer unless the phone is unlocked? I've used it to set so many but don't remember her ever going "actually i can't do that while locked"

Maiar_m

Nah I'm really clueless on the cause of the international discrepancy in prices. Someone mentioned taxes and tariffs on another site so I'm questioning the validity of it.

That's the half-assed excuse the Nexus guys said in their AMA, but no it's been pointed out as invalid many times. No amount of tax explains the near doubling of the price it gets between US and some EU countries. More than 1$ = 1€? Maybe, but even then it's a bit of a stretch. $499 = 649€ ? That's a grand canyon.

SimleuqiR

Fuck this craphole that is Italy why am i still here?

The women?

Nani_Doppelganger.gif

Submitted a PayPal claim against OnePlus since they aren't responding to my return request. If they don't respond in the allowed time does PayPal automatically refund my money and I keep the phone?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
lol, nobody posted about LG's new phone? V10?

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-lg-v10-newer-bigger-smartphone-family

Finally, a few more technical notes on audio. LG's tossed some serious 32-bit audio playback tech into the V10. It's got an ESS Sabre 9018C2M digital to analog converter chip inside, as well as a 9602C headphone amplifier. (OK, so maybe the V10 is still a little bit about content consumption.) And the chips are positioned at the bottom of the phone, closer to the headphone jack, to preview "crosstalk," or audio leakage from one channel to another, LG says. (I'm not sure that's going to make it any easier for me to stomach another round of anything from Walk the Moon, but whatever.)

Full specs for those who like lists:
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 Processor
Main display 5.7-inch QHD IPS Quantum Display (2560 x 1440/513ppi)
Secondary display 2.1-inch IPS Quantum Display (160 x 1040/513ppi)
Memory 4GB LPDDR3 RAM / 64GB eMMC ROM/microSD (up to 2TB)
Rear camera 16MP with F1.8 Aperture/OIS 2.0
Front camera 5MP Dual Lens (80-degree Standard Angle/120-degree Wide Angle)
Battery 3,000mAh (removable)
Operating system Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
Size 159.6 x 79.3 x 8.6mm
Weight 192g
Network LTE-A Cat. 6
Connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, USB 2.0
Colors Space Black, Luxe White, Modern Beige, Ocean Blue, Opal Blue

Reckoner

Have a 5X preordered but want a Z5. Z5 has a better hardware, supports microsd, and has a side mounted fingerprint scanner. It's substantially taller than the 5X. Security concerns have me going Nexus just so the device receives updates after two years. If all else fails I can cancel the preorder before the device ships in 3 to 4 weeks anyway.

I'm still curious to see how the bigger battery translates on the Z5P since it is 1080p most of the time. It should be overkill. The Z5 2900mah already lasts more than a day.

Gandalf

Ordered the 6P. Aluminium, 32gb (enough for me) + the Quartz case. Delivery is expected between November 2-4. It was a toss up between this or the Moto X Style. Gone for a trusty Nexus (gone from a 4 to a 5).

Ordered the 6P. Aluminium, 32gb (enough for me) + the Quartz case. Delivery is expected between November 2-4. It was a toss up between this or the Moto X Style. Gone for a trusty Nexus (gone from a 4 to a 5).

Great move. Best android phone releasing this year.

Looking to buy a tempered glass screen protector and I figure this is probably the best place to ask questions (haven't tried a TG screen protector before):

• I see varying thicknesses for TG screen protectors; .2mm, .3mm, etc. Are the thinner ones supposed to be better?
  • Does brand matter that much? Will the cheap TG screen protectors from China be fine?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
yeah great battery but its a laggy piece of shit. cant wait for my 5x to arrive

Yeah but what if the 5x would set you back $540+ instead of $379 for the 16gb version, as it does in Europe?

I think I'll take my chances, only heard good things about the X Play so far to be honest. Seems to be a fine mid range phone, and as close to stock Android as it gets.

Two things as I get ready for my Graphite 6P (I'll also be watching replies about the tempered screen protector query right above me):

1) I currently have root and Xposed, which means I can't use Android Pay. If I want to start using Nexus Imprint to buy stuff at McDonald's and Walgreens, am I going to forego being rooted? I haven't used an unrooted device since, uh, the Galaxy S2.
2) Any buy recommendations for either USB Type C cables or connector/converter/adapters for my current micro-USB cables?

Two things as I get ready for my Graphite 6P (I'll also be watching replies about the tempered screen protector query right above me):

1) I currently have root and Xposed, which means I can't use Android Pay. If I want to start using Nexus Imprint to buy stuff at McDonald's and Walgreens, am I going to forego being rooted? I haven't used an unrooted device since, uh, the Galaxy S2.
2) Any buy recommendations for either USB Type C cables or connector/converter/adapters for my current micro-USB cables?

I've read you can use android pay. You just have to add your card to it before you root.

Kuros

I've read you can use android pay. You just have to add your card to it before you root.

No it doesn't work. You can add your cards before root but that's as far as it will let you go. If you're rooted when attempting to actually pay it will throw an error.

No it doesn't work. You can add your cards before root but that's as far as it will let you go. If you're rooted when attempting to actually pay it will throw an error.

Ouch. Is Samsung Pay the same way? Samsung Pay seems like the best of these services.

Nice pick up. You got the same delivery date as me. Hopefully it gets shipped out sooner.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even if the USB C is 2.0, it's still better than micro USB. Annoying, though.

Weird launch. These devices should be shipping next week. Instead we have to wait like a month.

and i thought Samsung was wasting time and money by having EMV tech built in... of course the rollout to chip cards is a massive failure.

'Merica

It involves corporations spending money that doesn't involve them making more money. What did you expect? Corporations love to drag their feet. It isn't like they are penalized in any way to do so.

Has this been posted? Android Police has some nice overview how everyone sans the US is getting mugged with the Nexus prices: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/prices-nexus-5x-nexus-6p-across-globe/

Also, in the comments section, a user mentioned the polish price of the 6P with 1999 Zloty, going by actual conversion rates to €, that would be about ~473€, plus it should be the international version with all required bands.

So, Googles first polish megaseller? I can see myself trying to import from there. Also since Poland is in the EU ... there are no import fees, either.
E:
LOL, i just saw the prices in Italy ... Google be like "F*ck Europe, and f*ck Italy in particular!" ... Sheesh Google, whatever you're smoking, you gotta smoke fewer.
Google smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom