• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

roytheone

Reposting this question:

I can actually buy a new Oneplus one 64 GB for relatively cheap. I know it is an older phone, but the new one is almost impossible to buy and I have heard it was a bit disappointing. Is the oneplus one still a good buy today?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Not sure why any sane user would touch Android with a 10ft pole this year, it's been a total train wreck.
As someone who bought an iPhone 6S this week, I would rather be stuck with a Galaxy Nexus that constantly reads my social security number out loud to passers-by than use an iPhone.

rc213

Two things as I get ready for my Graphite 6P (I'll also be watching replies about the tempered screen protector query right above me):

1) I currently have root and Xposed, which means I can't use Android Pay. If I want to start using Nexus Imprint to buy stuff at McDonald's and Walgreens, am I going to forego being rooted? I haven't used an unrooted device since, uh, the Galaxy S2.
2) Any buy recommendations for either USB Type C cables or connector/converter/adapters for my current micro-USB cables?

Same here. Will be looking at tempered screen protectors as for the charger. Looks like OnePlus has a great little adapter that I will probably order this week.

https://oneplus.net/oneplus-usb-type-c-adapter

As far as cases I'm holding off until I have the phone in hand to see if I need something to improve my grip on the phone or not.

hitgirl

Ugh. Going away for two weeks mid October, wish I had my new phone with me as that's the time I use my phone the most.. Thinking about just "testing" a moto X pure, that 35 day return policy.

250 €

And probably around 2 years.
I personally wouldn't get that phone for 2 more years. Not even at that price tbh.

Not sure what prices are like in your country but is the moto x pure expensive? Or even available? What are the other choices in around the same price range give or take. Where do you live. Maybe it's not a horrible idea if there's not much else.

roytheone

I personally wouldn't get that phone for 2 more years. Not even at that price tbh.

Not sure what prices are like in your country but is the moto x pure expensive? Or even available? What are the other choices in around the same price range give or take. Where do you live. Maybe it's not a horrible idea if there's not much else.

The Netherlands. Style is 499 €, and my max budget is 400. The x play, honor 7, s5, HTC m8s and lg g3 are all around my price range.

The Netherlands. Style is 499 €, and my max budget is 400. The x play, honor 7, s5, HTC m8s and lg g3 are all around my price range.
You're wayyy better off paying the extra dough for the style but if you can't do that all at the 400 is a hard limit then yeah get the oneplus. The dev support should carry you that length of time. And 250 is better than 400. Only other one I'd maybe suggest is the Honor 7 but huawei's skin ehhhh. And I'm not sure what their support is like for updates.

I can get a new Nexus 6 for $279. Tempting to use as a stop gap until I get the 6P.
don't do it

Quasar

Well I guess Apple just answered my question about how they intend to support the android version of Apple Music. By apparently refusing to support Chromecast.

And it comes the same day Amazon moves to harm AppleTV/Chromecast/AndroidTV by blocking their sales.

Not that Google is much better given how they treat Microsoft.

Aren't silo wars grand. Makes me more and more just want to go all physical and rip everything.

You're wayyy better off paying the extra dough for the style but if you can't do that all at the 400 is a hard limit then yeah get the oneplus. The dev support should carry you that length of time. And 250 is better than 400. Only other one I'd maybe suggest is the Honor 7 but huawei's skin ehhhh.

don't do it

That band 12 is calling me thoughhhhh. T-Mobile will also let me get a Iphone 6s+ 64gb for $99 down and give me a free month of service with jump on demand. I wouldn't get the iPhone for 2 weeks though.

That band 12 is calling me thoughhhhh. T-Mobile will also let me get a Iphone 6s+ 64gb for $99 down and give me a free month of service with jump on demand. I wouldn't get the iPhone for 2 weeks though.
A 6S+ is another story, that shit is cray. But a Nexus 6...that shit is played at this point. There's reason everyone is practically giving it away lately.

A 6S+ is another story, that shit is cray. But a Nexus 6...that shit is played at this point. There's reason everyone is practically giving it away lately.

Yeah, it sucks, but it does get Marshmallow in a few days.

Where can you do this? I'm looking to upgrade, I can't afford the 6P anytime soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Ne...d-Smartphone/171945826282?hash=item2808c517ea

They sent me a coupon for another $20 off making it $279.

NotBacon

It is annoying how much it went down in price. That's what I get for being a first adopter -_-. Oh well, it should last a long while.

What's the difference between the 6+ and 6S+ besides "3D touch" and the internals incremental upgrade? I haven't been following too closely but from what I've heard this "S" update is anything but "cray". Even my iOS fanatic friends weren't impressed.

I can get a new Nexus 6 for $279. Tempting to use as a stop gap until I get the 6P.

Do it. Hesitancy at it's initial price was understandable, but for $279 that shit is nothing but a steal. Yeah it's no 6P, but it's not that far behind.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6 for sub $300 is a better deal than a Nexus 6P at $500. No doubt. It's probably the best buy today, if you care about OS updates. If I was a poor, I'd definitely get the 6. It's a great phone today. At launch... Eh. Just expect the camera to stink. Good pictures but it's very difficult to use. Good luck focusing on anything close.

Now on Tap is slow af, making it useless.

It is annoying how much it went down in price. That's what I get for being a first adopter -_-. Oh well, it should last a long while.

What's the difference between the 6+ and 6S+ besides "3D touch" and the internals incremental upgrade? I haven't been following too closely but from what I've heard this "S" update is anything but "cray". Even my iOS fanatic friends weren't impressed.

Do it. Hesitancy at it's initial price was understandable, but for $279 that shit is nothing but a steal. Yeah it's no 6P, but it's not that far behind.
1 extra gig of RAM. And it's not an incremental upgrade, if you're a bechmark guy check em out. The S line is potentially years apart the competition with that SoC. Better camera as well. Made out of better materials/stronger metal. 3D touch as you said. Touch ID has been upgraded as well. Apparently it's super instant now.

I think that about covers it. Maybe a thing or two I forgot.

Wreav

Banned
The 6S speed is not close to comparable to the 6. It's insane how well the improved storage, RAM, and SOC are all working.

hitgirl

Ok first time using Swappa. 32GB Moto X 2014 bought, 5X cancelled. Dem turns. I'll buy a Moto 5X next year when we all are hating on the 6X.

Nexus 6 for sub $300 is a better deal than a Nexus 6P at $500. No doubt. It's probably the best buy today, if you care about OS updates. If I was a poor, I'd definitely get the 6. It's a great phone today. At launch... Eh. Just expect the camera to stink. Good pictures but it's very difficult to use. Good luck focusing on anything close.

Now on Tap is slow af, making it useless.

You're still using the M preview version tho right?

NotBacon

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm my marshmallow sense are tingling. My body is ready.

1 extra gig of RAM. And it's not an incremental upgrade, if you're a bechmark guy check em out. The S line is potentially years apart the competition with that SoC. Better camera as well. Made out of better materials/stronger metal. 3D touch as you said. Touch ID has been upgraded as well. Apparently it's super instant now.

I think that about covers it. Maybe a thing or two I forgot.

Good that they finally threw in more RAM. And 3D touch feels gimmicky, but I guess I could see how people might value it.

Better camera, "stronger metal", and super fast fingerprint sensor don't exactly set them apart from the competition though. Several phones have A+ cameras now, solid build, and Nexus Imprint is claimed to be the fastest on the market when it comes out (we'll see when it actually comes out).

As for the upgraded SoC, meh. I've never felt that the iPhone 6 (or any flagship) has been "slow". Phones have been fast for years now. It will help with games and it looks nice on paper but that's pretty much it.

I guess I strayed from the point though, because it is a worthy upgrade from the old 6. As for comparing it to the competition though, it just feels like catch up.

EmiPrime

I guess I strayed from the point though, because it is a worthy upgrade from the old 6. As for comparing it to the competition though, it just feels like catch up.

It catches up in certain aspects and pulls out way in front in others. I still think iOS is far too limiting (default apps ffs) and the battery should be a lot bigger but the 6S' build and SOC are pretty amazing.

ito007

With the many problems my Moto X has, I still love this thing. I got the 2013 model, so it's got a shit battery and camera.

But it's fluid, looks good, and damn reliable. Can't believe I haven't gotten tired of this yet.

Broank

Yeah, it sucks, but it does get Marshmallow in a few days.

What's so bad about it? I just got one last week it seems great for me so far as long if you want a big phone. Monster quad HD screen, lightning fast even with a shit ton of stuff running, set up was literally just put in my sim and done. Stock android is also really pretty and slick plus some other nice extras (Dual front facing speakers, Qi and turbo charging).

I came one click from getting a 6S+ but it said the wait was 3 or 4 weeks (probably even longer for a unlocked phone). Figure I can put the 600 bucks or more I saved towards a Surface 4 and I still got everything I was wanting. *shrugs*

kinggroin

Banned

Do it. Rom and kernel it, adjust saturation; you'll love it. Bet.

Edit: Stop gap? Lol, no. Just wait for the 6p to ship.

I enjoyed the N6 greatly and its fantastic to use today, but why take the BOOM out of a new phone by playing with a mildly older one? Save your cash.

Edit 2: So you're tight on money? Get the N6 then. It was meh at $649 (no phone outside the iPhone 6+ was worth that price last year), but at $300 or less? Fuck. It's super fast, has really nice speakers, a decent screen when calibrated (plus tiny bezels), takes great stills and will be on the latest version of Android.

I went from a One Plus One to it, and as great as the previous device was (after getting one with a working panel) the N6 became my bae phone. Ugly as fuck, but that's just character :)

Also wireless charging. Heyoooo

So I tried to make a new document on my Google drive app but I noticed Google had the genius idea of separating docs, sheets, and slides into different apps. Why do companies keep doing this crap? It just adds a bunch of needless icons and excessive app switching when you dont need to. Facebook did it too with their dumb messages app. Ugh. /rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom