• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-32gb/

32GB 6P is up on Carphone Warehouse, available in black or silver and 10 quid cheaper than the play store. They're estimating delivery on 22nd Oct.

Might need to drag the link to the tab bar or copy and paste since it sometimes doesn't work:
Code:
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-32gb

How can the ETA from Google be 3-5th Nov, but 22nd Oct from carphone warehouse?

*looks at Nexus 5X preorder*
*considers changing it to 6P*

All I know is the Moto E 2016 should be DOA as far as the next version of Android. If the 2015 version couldn't receive updates then potential buyers of the 2016 version need to understand the purchase covers literally the device.

Nexus devices just won again. Yes, you take a hit with specs but updates come quicker than other flagships as the years go by.
I don't know about that, 6P seems to be a top tier phone thus far and I don't see that changing.

Kuros

CW will be buying them straight from Huawei, not google. The original ETA on the google store was 22nd for the people that first ordered. Goog prob have just gone through their first shipment.

Reckoner

I'm thinking of upgrading my Z3 Compact and would be interested in what would suit me.

I don't want a 6" phone, maybe 5.5 or thereabouts. I mainly use my phone for browsing, music and taking photos. I hardly ever play games (although I might if the battery was decent) and I don't use my phone for watching videos.

Possibly considering the LG G4 or OnePlus Two (if an invite comes around). The Moto X Style looks nice but may be too big. I'm in the UK and the 5X is way overpriced here so that's out.

Any suggestions?

The Z5 is looking pretty great and is coming out next week. It's personally my favorite Android phone this year, from what I saw and read. I haven't tried one yet, though.

Kuros

The Z5 is looking pretty great and is coming out next week. It's personally my favorite Android phone this year, from what I saw and read. I haven't tried one yet, though.

Yeah i have a 6P on pre order, but if the reviews say the Z5 has knocked it out of the park i may well go for it.

I'm just worried about updates, especially after Moto have just done a heel turn.

Reckoner

Yeah i have a 6P on pre order, but if the reviews say the Z5 has knocked it out of the park i may well go for it.

I'm just worried about updates, especially after Moto have just done a heel turn.

The 6P seems cool too. You can't go wrong either way. I just don't consider the 6P because of its price over here.

I still want the new Moto 360, despite the flat tire that might get fixed next year.

People were saying the same thing last year.

Saiyan-Rox

has anyone else's "Hold" went back into their account? I'm seriously considering changing my order to CPW and getting the silver one.

I wonder why the Moto E got the shaft. I wonder if it's because internal sales info show that it absolutely goddamn bombed. Or it's something spec related. Or both!

Anyone getting a Nexus 5X treading on changing their decision and getting the 6P. I'm fighting everything in my soul not to change my order.

Its just Huawei :( I'm not familiar with them and I just don't know if the phone will be great once it officially reviewed.

Please....Someone help

EmiPrime

Anyone getting a Nexus 5X treading on changing their decision and getting the 6P. I'm fighting everything in my soul not to change my order.

Its just Huawei :( I'm not familiar with them and I just don't know if the phone will be great once it officially reviewed.

Please....Someone help

Wait. Let other people test the first batch of them then make a decision.

reKon

Banned
I wonder why the Moto E got the shaft. I wonder if it's because internal sales info show that it absolutely goddamn bombed. Or it's something spec related. Or both!

What a bunch of bullshit. It was an excellent phone in the time that I used it too (already got my Xperia back).

EDIT:

Real talk - if Motorola can't sell a $99 Moto E running the same processor as the Moto G with LTE, expandable storage, and amazing battery life for the low price of $99, they've are lost.

It's that or the Moto G (2015) is ridiculously more popular, which I doubt for some reason.

I bet it's neither, and they as a company collectively "fuck you'd" to every Moto e owner.

Honestly, I have no idea why. If the Moto e can run Lollipop, it damn sure can run Marshmallow without a problem. I did see someone in the AP comments suggest this could be because of Lenovo letting go people on Moto's software team, which I could see being the reason for the backtracking, but then the carrier Moto X 2014 isn't getting updated either, and its not much different from the 2014 pure edition.

Edit: And then there's the fact that the E has the same processor as the G.

My mom has the at&t Moto X and now she's getting screwed over. I think I'll give her my upgrade that I've been sitting on for a couple of months so she can go back to iPhones. She did mention she was thinking of getting an iPhone the next time she upgrades.

I bet it's neither, and they as a company collectively "fuck you'd" to every Moto e owner.

Honestly, I have no idea why. If the Moto e can run Lollipop, it damn sure can run Marshmallow without a problem. I did see someone in the AP comments suggest this could be because of Lenovo letting go people on Moto's software team, which I could see being the reason for the backtracking, but then the carrier Moto X 2014 isn't getting updated either, and its not much different from the 2014 pure edition.

Edit: And then there's the fact that the E has the same processor as the G.

My mom has the at&t Moto X and now she's getting screwed over. I think I'll give her my upgrade that I've been sitting on for a couple of months so she can go back to iPhones. She did mention she was thinking of getting an iPhone the next time she upgrades.
I don't know. They have no reason to say ef you. I think it just didn't sell enough and isn't worth the investment. To optimize marshmallow for such a low spec'd device it's probably more work than they're willing to do for so few people. Like it must have seriously BOMBED for them to do say no to it. But yeah it's probably not a question of can it run it, but getting it to run I guess they decided wasn't worth the time and money. They should just not release the phone is my stance.

It sucks if people were promised updates if they got it and it's less than a year #android but yeah.

Wow, the resale value went down a lot for the Nexus 6.

$650 to $300(new in eBay) after a year!

I sold my Nexus 5 for $225 and I bought that for $399 after a year.

I hope the Nexus 6P value holds up. The preorder bonus should help.

Milpool

oh shit the carphone warehouse version of the Nexus also releases earlier than the play store one....thats tempting

I might be remembering wrong but google started shipping phones before their initial estimate in the past, at least with the Nexus 4 and 5... So I'm hoping it's around the 22nd for the play store too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you care about updates, you should have bought a Nexus.

I don't know. They have no reason to say ef you. I think it just didn't sell enough and isn't worth the investment. To optimize marshmallow for such a low spec'd device it's probably more work than they're willing to do for so few people. Like it must have seriously BOMBED for them to do say no to it. But yeah it's probably not a question of can it run it, but getting it to run I guess they decided wasn't worth the time and money. They should just not release the phone is my stance.

It sucks if people were promised updates if they got it and it's less than a year #android but yeah.
Oh I wasn't serious about them saying f u to consumers. I'm sure there actually is a reason, and you make some good points as to why they may not be updating it, but I think it's messed up that they're not, at the very least, updating the 2015 Moto e. Both it and the 2015 G have the exact same sd410 SoC.

I do agree that they should just drop the Moto e from now on and just stick with the G (and X). The 1GB version of the G is close enough to the E that there's no need for both, in my opinion. Just do two Gs and call it a day.

Hulud

I just upgraded from a Note 4 to a GS6 Edge+. The processor in these things is pretty dope. And being able to reskin touchwiz to get rid of that god awful bright blue everywhere is a godsend. I'll probably use this until my samsung monthly lease rebates run out then burn another JoD upgrade on a Note 5 or whatever is hot shit in Jan.

Saiyan-Rox

I might be remembering wrong but google started shipping phones before their initial estimate in the past, at least with the Nexus 4 and 5... So I'm hoping it's around the 22nd for the play store too.

well with the 5 I got mine shipped the day after I bought it so I can't remember that far back if the estimated date was different.

But i'm all for it shipping earlier.

BlazinAm

Wow, the resale value went down a lot for the Nexus 6.

$650 to $300(new in eBay) after a year!

I sold my Nexus 5 for $225 and I bought that for $399 after a year.

I hope the Nexus 6P value holds up. The preorder bonus should help.

Why would the resale value match the MSRP pricing for something that is widely available?

The pricing for the Nexus 6 is a reflection that there are a lot of mid tier phones with close enough or better specs for less money.

Articalys

Okay, can someone help explain what band 12 is and why it would/wouldn't be a dealbreaker if a phone doesn't support it, depending on where you work/live? If it's missing, does that mean you're not getting the fastest possible speed from T-Mobile's network, or just that you're not going to get the best possible coverage (where it's available)?

Saiyan-Rox

Ah my N6p payment went back in

Now to make a decision on changing the colour to silver....shame the white isn't available on 32GB

madmook

Okay, can someone help explain what band 12 is and why it would/wouldn't be a dealbreaker if a phone doesn't support it, depending on where you work/live? If it's missing, does that mean you're not getting the fastest possible speed from T-Mobile's network, or just that you're not going to get the best possible coverage (where it's available)?
It's about coverage, not speed. Being a lower frequency (700mhz), band 12 has a better chance of reaching you inside buildings. If I was going to be on T-Mobile's network I would definitely make sure whatever phone I got has LTE band 12.

jetsetrez

I'd also like to know this, and what phones are we talking about that don't support it?

kinggroin

Banned
Not sure what they did with the battery from the S6 to the Note 5, but the battery is legit.

Lol, you mean have a huge ass phone and battery?

Why would the resale value match the MSRP pricing for something that is widely available?

The pricing for the Nexus 6 is a reflection that there are a lot of mid tier phones with close enough or better specs for less money.

What phone gives you what the N6 does top to bottom at $300? QHD OLED (calibration be damned - that's fixable), quality stereo speakers, 5.99" display with small bezels, metal frame body, big battery, full US carrier support, Android 6.0, and a decent quality shooter? Not to mention if the galaxy nexus is anything to go by, community support years after Google drops it like an asshole.

I'd also like to know this, and what phones are we talking about that don't support it?

There's fear the 6P won't support it.

Google have come out already to state it will soon. So whatever. Things will work out.

tim.mbp

Please....Someone help

Nah, 6P is out of my price range. I'm waiting on the OnePlus X to decide between 5X, OPX, OP2 or maybe even a Honor 7 or Meizu MX5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom