• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So are we finally gonna stop posting "I'm getting a Moto due to close to stock + quick updates" since that's only half true?

Honestly of the major brands Samsung and LG seem to be the best at updates. Plus some of the other Eastern brands like ASUS and One Plus seem to get updates at a decent clip. At the very least Moto is no better than them even if they aren't worse.

So are we finally gonna stop posting "I'm getting a Moto due to close to stock + quick updates" since that's only half true?

Honestly of the major brands Samsung and LG seem to be the best at updates. Plus some of the other Eastern brands like ASUS and One Plus seem to get updates at a decent clip. At the very least Moto is no better than them even if they aren't worse.
*Lenovo conspiracy theory*

Furyous

Alternatives to the Nexus 5X that isn't $430 goddamn dollars?

Google probably added the $30 because fuck you I'm Google

Technically, the 5X is $330 before shipping. Add in stock android, a fingerprint scanner, 1080p screen, and that brings us to where we're at. It's not the best use of money but it gets updates and people complained about the cost of the Nexus 6 last year so this is the compromise.

In Google's defense it comes with a $50 credit so using your logic it still comes out to around $380. Yes, you could find a budget device that hits a few of these boxes but none that gives you the updates at this apparent race to the bottom prices you seek. Obviously, I want low cost smartphones as well but this year revealed that is a dangerous proposition.

*EDIT*

Keep going back and forth between N5X and 6P. 2GB of RAM is not an issue in 2015 with stock android but turns into a headache by 2017, IMHO.

Can we talk about dat fox? PPI is too small for my eyes as I refuse to look at anything under 320 but someone else will like this. *Scust at the S410*

Pachimari

So I had the store look at my broken LG G3, and it turns out, that they could fix it, and they changed something inside with a brand new board for free, and I get new 2 years warranty starting this week. It was burned inside.

I might sell it off now though.

kami_sama

So I had the store look at my broken LG G3, and it turns out, that they could fix it, and they changed something inside with a brand new board for free, and I get new 2 years warranty starting this week. It was burned inside.

At least you don't have to buy a new phone right now. Also, the G3 will get marshmallow, so it will work for at least one year more.
No one has gotten review units. I doubt you will see reviews before they start shipping.
So there's no review units then. When will they start shipping?

kharma45

Can anyone recommend the best phone for my wife for under £200? She hates her lg g4c which she got cos of the size, 5" screen is perfect for her but the 1gb ram is awful. Was thinking the moto g?

As has been said, make sure it's the 2GB one. Amazon has it for £170 on pre order http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014KT0KWE/

Glad to hear you got it sorted under warranty.

rc213

Marshmallow sources and OTA begin on the 5th I think but according to GP the phones ship at around the end of MBKHD hasn't said anything about getting one as if yet that I know off.

Shipping until the end of October? Going to be a terrible month...

Well I've got no patience. Upgraded to a used N5 from tmo, I should have waited to afford the 6 but it's getting Marshmallow anyways.

Saiyan-Rox

Shipping until the end of October? Going to be a terrible month...

Yeah sorry October got deleted in my post but yeah mine is currently for, 28th-30th of October. But I'm tempted to change it to cat phone warehouse as it says delivery by 22nd.

EmiPrime

Oh, how's Android M preview? What do you like about it? How much has it improved your phone in performance, battery, and usability?

It's extremely polished. Even the first preview build was superior to Lollipop in every way that matters and now I probably shouldn't buy a new phone even though I'd love to have a new toy to play with. There probably isn't another 2 year old phone that runs as smoothly as the Nexus 5 and it should be good for another 2 years with M.

I like the improved standby battery life. It's good on the phone but it will be even better for tablets.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well I went ahead and returned the Moto X Pure today. I had been using it since Wednesday.

Pros

+ Nice big crisp quad HD screen
+ "Stockish" Android
+ Turbo/Quick charging
+ Micro SD

In the middle

+ Hardware felt decent. It didn't feel premium but wasn't cheap.
+ Battery life was acceptable. Was getting steadily 5 hours of screen time.

Cons

- I know this is subjective but it is too big.

Using the Moto X for a bit makes me question the purchase of the 6p. From the listed dimensions it is even a little bigger than the X. If I can't get use to the size I will most likely get a 5X.

HawkeyeIC

Well I went ahead and returned the Moto X Pure today. I had been using it since Wednesday.

Pros

+ "Stockish" Android
+ Turbo/Quick charging
+ Micro SD

In the middle

Cons

Using the Moto X for a bit makes me question the purchase of the 6p. From the listed dimensions it is even a little bigger than the X. If I can't get use to the size I will most likely get a 5X.

5 hours of SOT is average? Man I'm ready for a new phone.

Kevyt

Pros

+ "Stockish" Android
+ Turbo/Quick charging
+ Micro SD

In the middle

Cons

Pretty much the same for me. I'm loving the screen. I don't think I can go back to 1080p. Heck even my 1080p monitor looks ugly. Time to buy a QHD monitor. xD

However I am feeling a bit of a slowdown while browsing on gaf, especially with 100 ppp, images and gifs enabled. Even when there isn't much on a gag thread, while scrolling down it feels a bit laggy. It could be chrome, I dunno.

Battery is decent. It's not bad but not great either. Though at times it feels like the phone gets too hot. Not burning hot, but somewhat hot.

I've had this phone since Wednesday too. What a coincidence. :p

5 hours of SOT is average? Man I'm ready for a new phone.

After nearly 4 years of Galaxy Notes, if I'm not averaging 6-7 hours of SOT, I check for battery drains from apps.

These days I play Fate/Grand Order on my phone though and that thing murders batteries. I can't imagine playing this game on a phone with a crappier battery TBH, I have to charge my battery twice a day when I'm grinding hard in this game.

I just ordered a 64gb nexus 6 from amazon warehouse deals. It's like new with original packaging so I am hoping it was just returned or used for a very short time.

It was $340 after $10 coupon code which I think is a ridiculous deal for a 6inch phone from less than a year ago with great reviews. I don't care much about the camera so I decided on this one.

Anyone else bought phones from amazon warehouse deals?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 6 is an amazing phone for the price. It's the best bang for buck phone imo. Good choice.

Saiyan-Rox

I just ordered a 64gb nexus 6 from amazon warehouse deals. It's like new with original packaging so I am hoping it was just returned or used for a very short time.

It was $340 after $10 coupon code which I think is a ridiculous deal for a 6inch phone from less than a year ago with great reviews. I don't care much about the camera so I decided on this one.

Anyone else bought phones from amazon warehouse deals?

The N6 is well worth that price no matter what anyone says. That phone's price just completely caved.

EmiPrime

I turned Google Now back on to see if it had changed recently:

yPCQvh0.png

Good job Sundar, well done on making Google Now worse. Only one card visible on a 1080p screen, that takes some doing.

Google Now always been garbage. It had promise originally but all it really is is a glorified package tracker and a list of click bait links.

Does anyone know the difference between AMOLED va LCD screen? I haven't used a phone with AMOLED screen.

amoled--better blacks, more saturated colors, overall just beautiful

lcd--generally more realistic colors, cheaper for oem, best ones are just as beautiful as amoled if calibrated

i prefer amoled but some don't because they have a history of not being very color accurate even if they look gorgeous.

Wreav

Banned
Google Now always been garbage. It had promise originally but all it really is is a glorified package tracker and a list of click bait links.

At least someone spitting some truth. Now on Tap seems so underwhelming, but it's the kind of feature that strokes the ego of an wannabe ubernerd.

SimleuqiR

I turned Google Now back on to see if it had changed recently:

Good job Sundar, well done on making Google Now worse. Only one card visible on a 1080p screen, that takes some doing.

Tooo much white space. I'm all for white space, but damn.
I think it looked better before the latest update.

This was a little better

google-now-pedometer.jpg

Grrr, I need some more Nexus 6P information. II am constantly looking for any piece of information. This is going to be a looongg month.

at least you have something. i've fallen so hard for that pixel c and all i have is the minute or so they showed it off onstage and the handful of hands-on videos that all go over the exact same stuff and don't really show how well the device flows.

EmiPrime

Tooo much white space. I'm all for white space, but damn.
I think it looked better before the latest update.

Yep totally overboard. It's easily the worst incarnation of Now.

One of those Google products that has a solid foundation but will forever be stuck in a beta-like state and not given the polish it badly needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom