• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So this is a thing

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/symetium-the-no-compromise-smartphone-pc#/

I like the idea but not sure if $1.25m is enough to deliver a quality product. Maybe I will consider when they release a non-concept video showing it in action.

40k in 3 days, aims for 1.250m. Not going to happen.

Also, who is "We here at Symetium" exactly? Is there any talent or experience whatsoever or is it another "company" of 3 people who need money to make an actual company and a prototype yet?

Edit: Yup it is.
chwbhwheyieh22hywaef.jpg

I can't decide on what phone to replace my dying Note3
(should I even bother to upgrade it to Lollipop?)

Your Note 3 is dead!

Here are your options:

Nexus 6P ($499 for 32GB)
Galaxy Note 5
Moto X Pure ($399 for 16GB, but with MicroSD support)
Xperia Z5 or Premium
iPhone 6S+ ($849 for $64)

wilflare

Your Note 3 is dead!

Here are your options:

Nexus 6P ($499 for 32GB)
Galaxy Note 5
Moto X Pure ($399 for 16GB, but with MicroSD support)
Xperia Z5 or Premium
iPhone 6S+ ($849 for $64)

my microSD on my Note3 died as well.
for once, I think I may consider an iPhone (lol) but gah, I really don't like the UI :/

tzare

1 extra gig of RAM. And it's not an incremental upgrade, if you're a bechmark guy check em out. The S line is potentially years apart the competition with that SoC. Better camera as well. Made out of better materials/stronger metal. 3D touch as you said. Touch ID has been upgraded as well. Apparently it's super instant now.

I think that about covers it. Maybe a thing or two I forgot.

this is a bit offtopic since this is the android thread, but if that was true i, that is so haead of competition, then some comparisons i've seen wouldn't be almost a wash compared to Note 5 for example, that remember, uses a +6 month old SOC since it is the same as S6, and would mean I6 is much slower so not comparable to this year samsung devices.
So.....sure it is an awesome high end phone, but exaggeration surrounding iphone is really a thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Even with SD card support, 16GB is too small for android. On my Z3 I have about 12GB available from 16GB, and even if I move as many apps as possible to the SD card, along with all my photos/videos, I still go over 8-9GB easily. And at that point you trigger the bloody annoying 75% warning that pops up all the damn time. I've moved everything to the SD card, shut the fuck up already.

Kuros

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-32gb/

32GB 6P is up on Carphone Warehouse, available in black or silver and 10 quid cheaper than the play store. They're estimating delivery on 22nd Oct.

Might need to drag the link to the tab bar or copy and paste since it sometimes doesn't work:
Code:
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-32gb

Its 10 quid cheaper but CW have a much worse warranty scheme. If your phone goes wrong be prepared for 2 weeks without a phone. Just something to consider.

jetsetrez

Is 2GB RAM ok for Android? Was the original Nexus 5 an anomaly? I had a great experience with the original N5, which also had 2GB, but people in here seem to be hating pretty hard. I'm fine with 16GB, which makes the $379 really enticing for me, and I really don't want to spend $499..

Is 2GB RAM ok for Android? Was the original Nexus 5 an anomaly? I had a great experience with the original N5, which also had 2GB, but people in here seem to be hating pretty hard. I'm fine with 16GB, which makes the $379 really enticing for me, and I really don't want to spend $499..

2 GB RAM are okay, but people are hating, because there's no progress. You're paying for the same amount of RAM you paid for two years ago.

It's enough and things have slowly been becoming more optimized. But it's definitely not ideal for the OS. You'll easily survive 2016 with 2GB of ram but when google finally introduces multi-window support and whatever else it might not seem like a lot.

reKon

Banned

It's fine for now and people over react because they have no idea what the fuck they're talking about and how they are actually using their phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Did you have a great experience in 2015 and 2016? Great is a moving target. 2GB is now acceptable but not great.

jetsetrez

Any indication on if outlets have review units yet? I really want to wait for reviews on these to know how the camera/display/performance/battery really stack up, but I don't want to delay the preorder longer or miss the $50 Google Play credit.

Any indication on if outlets have review units yet? I really want to wait for reviews on these to know how the camera/display/performance/battery really stack up, but I don't want to delay the preorder longer or miss the $50 Google Play credit.
why not just pre-order. They don't ship for at least 2 weeks right? Not sure if it's the same everywhere.

tzare

i think it is enough as long you do not expect multitasking or a 2K display or a heavy skin. Since we are talking nexus here, you will be fine.

Even with SD card support, 16GB is too small for android. On my Z3 I have about 12GB available from 16GB, and even if I move as many apps as possible to the SD card, along with all my photos/videos, I still go over 8-9GB easily. And at that point you trigger the bloody annoying 75% warning that pops up all the damn time. I've moved everything to the SD card, shut the fuck up already.

Probably because you dont really move any apps to your sd card (maybe the apk but not the obb/app data). Scan your storage with "Diskusage" app, whatever I "moved" is still stored internally, its either a Lollipop or Sony bug.

The 75% warning can be removed via ADB without root btw.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Depends on what you value. For $379 you have other choices. The Moto is $400. The OPT starts at $350. You can get the Zenfone 2 for $220 on up.

Honestly its hard for me to recommend the 5X. If you're budget conscious I'd say get the Zenfone of your choice. If not I'd say spring for the Moto or the 6P.

Salsa

man I just bought a 5000mah portable battery for really really cheap and this thing's great. barely bulks on my pocket. using it cause im on a trip but its probably gonna save my ass back at home when I gotta go out unexpectedly. dunno why people dont carry small ones like this more

Saiyan-Rox

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-32gb/

32GB 6P is up on Carphone Warehouse, available in black or silver and 10 quid cheaper than the play store. They're estimating delivery on 22nd Oct.

Might need to drag the link to the tab bar or copy and paste since it sometimes doesn't work:
Code:
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-32gb

Was hoping for more than that after the discount they gave the 5X. Free Chromecast just for contracts also sucks. Also what's with the lack of white in the 32GB?

Damn guys I'm having second thoughts over the nexus...... I just don't need it.

jetsetrez

Depends on what you value. For $379 you have other choices. The Moto is $400. The OPT starts at $350. You can get the Zenfone 2 for $220 on up.

Honestly its hard for me to recommend the 5X. If you're budget conscious I'd say get the Zenfone of your choice. If not I'd say spring for the Moto or the 6P.
None of those have the combination of NFC + fingerprint sensor, though, and have wildly varying quality of cameras. :( I'm coming from an iPhone 6, I don't want to miss mobile payments and a great camera..

DagsJT

I'm thinking of upgrading my Z3 Compact and would be interested in what would suit me.

I don't want a 6" phone, maybe 5.5 or thereabouts. I mainly use my phone for browsing, music and taking photos. I hardly ever play games (although I might if the battery was decent) and I don't use my phone for watching videos.

Possibly considering the LG G4 or OnePlus Two (if an invite comes around). The Moto X Style looks nice but may be too big. I'm in the UK and the 5X is way overpriced here so that's out.

Any suggestions?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm thinking of upgrading my Z3 Compact and would be interested in what would suit me.

I don't want a 6" phone, maybe 5.5 or thereabouts. I mainly use my phone for browsing, music and taking photos. I hardly ever play games (although I might if the battery was decent) and I don't use my phone for watching videos.

Possibly considering the LG G4 or OnePlus Two (if an invite comes around). The Moto X Style looks nice but may be too big. I'm in the UK and the 5X is way overpriced here so that's out.

Any suggestions?

Honestly if your Z3C runs fine I'd wait. Nothing is gonna give you a super performance difference. If the 6P doesn't interest you wait till next year. No reason you'll miss out on much.

Saiyan-Rox

Any suggestions?

I'll be selling my OP2 xD Chinese model so 4G works on EE and Three just.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is the "LG G4 Pro" I have been talking about. It doesn't seem like it offers substantial upgrades over the G4 though. Pass. G5 will be a monster with SD820.

The V10 looks nice to me if it's a decent price. I like the idea of the dual screen, though complete AMOLED would be nice as well so you can do low power display like the Moto alerts stuff.

I just don't see it beating our the new Nexus phones on price vs. features though.

HawkeyeIC

Moto still killing it with updates:

We even have explicit confirmation that Moto X 2014 AT&T and Verizon models, which do not appear on this list, will not be getting Android 6.0.

The Moto E 2015, announced 219 days ago, is not on that list. Android Marshmallow will be publicly available next week. That will give the Moto E 2015 one of the shortest OS-level support lifetimes of any Motorola product in recent memory.

This is aggravating on its own. It's annoying, and it sucks. But you know what really rubs salt in the wound? The fact that Motorola specifically stated when the Moto E 2015 launched that it would be supported down the road.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...is-now-apparently-ending-them-after-219-days/

Yeah, Moto can fuck right on off now. Not updating any of the Moto Es (including this year's) nor the carrier version of the 2014 Moto X? Screw that.

What the hell is wrong with Android OEMs making such dumb decisions?

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah, Moto can fuck right on off now. Not updating any of the Moto Es (including this year's) nor the carrier version of the 2014 Moto X? Screw that.

What the hell is wrong with Android OEMs making such dumb decisions?

Are they even allowed to do that? Isn't there a rule stating devices need to be updated for at least aa year? Or am I making that up?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably because you dont really move any apps to your sd card (maybe the apk but not the obb/app data). Scan your storage with "Diskusage" app, whatever I "moved" is still stored internally, its either a Lollipop or Sony bug.

The 75% warning can be removed via ADB without root btw.

Thanks, good to know.

Are they even allowed to do that? Isn't there a rule stating devices need to be updated for at least aa year? Or am I making that up?

didn't they make a promise back when they switched to google that all devices would get two years of support or you get some rebate back, or was that only for that specific lineup? either way moto has fallen far from being the only OEM that was putting out stuff that was arguably better than Nexus.

gcubed

didn't they make a promise back when they switched to google that all devices would get two years of support or you get some rebate back, or was that only for that specific lineup? either way moto has fallen far from being the only OEM that was putting out stuff that was arguably better than Nexus.

well hey, the original Moto X just got Lollipop on Verizon. Like last week.

They were king of updates for like 1 week. Samsung is by far the best, with LG coming in behind them for 2nd

Speaking of garbage companies, OnePlus hasn't responded to my RMA request in 5 days. Good news is if they don't respond to PayPal in a few more days I'll probably get the OP2 free.

Furyous

*looks at Nexus 5X preorder*
*considers changing it to 6P*

All I know is the Moto E 2016 should be DOA as far as the next version of Android. If the 2015 version couldn't receive updates then potential buyers of the 2016 version need to understand the purchase covers literally the device.

Nexus devices just won again. Yes, you take a hit with specs but updates come quicker than other flagships as the years go by.

Saiyan-Rox

Kuros

Yeah Moto X Style is off the menu for me now. I was unlikely to buy it but that's them definitely off the list. Fuck them. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom