• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

they need to do the opposite trend on battery and go bigger not smaller and then continue the touchwiz trend. This year they reduced bloat by whatever amount, match it or reduce it more next year. 3000mah and that and I'm in.

They'll find a way to cock it up. They always do. Reviewers will say it's less "bloated" but once normal people have been using it for more than a few weeks it will turn out to be just as laggy as it always is and have some stupid Samsung optimisation like the S6 memory management.

They'll find a way to cock it up. They always do. Reviewers will say it's less "bloated" but once normal people have been using it for more than a few weeks it will turn out to be just as laggy as it always is and have some stupid Samsung optimisation like the S6 memory management.
The amount of companies I'm willing to spend money on is dwindling so they better not fuck it up.

It really is just Moto/Google/Samsung (I never have spent on them but they have potential). I have no real interest in LG/HTC and Sony can't even release a phone so it's pointless.

So there's basically only 3 chances next year for me to not be disappointed and if I am, back to the iway I go. But I don't want to have to. Especially now that I've gone back to android for my main phone with the xplay.

EmiPrime

The amount of companies I'm willing to spend money on is dwindling so they better not fuck it up.

It really is just Moto/Google/Samsung (I never have spent on them but they have potential). I have no real interest in LG/HTC and Sony can't even release a phone so it's pointless.

So there's basically only 3 chances next year for me to not be disappointed and if I am, back to the iway I go. But I don't want to have to. Especially now that I've gone back to android for my main phone with the xplay.

I didn't think things were that bleak but then Google decided to give the finger to everyone outside the US and iOS9 has turned out to be a glitchy mess.

Glad I have the Nexus 5 so I don't really need to upgrade even though I want a new toy.

Could always get on T-Mobiles jump on demand program. 3 upgrades a year means I can hop between new phones pretty much whenever. Still trying to decide if I wanna sell the iPhone or Nexus 6p. I could make a atleast a hundred probably on both.

Could always get on T-Mobiles jump on demand program. 3 upgrades a year means I can hop between new phones pretty much whenever. Still trying to decide if I wanna sell the iPhone or Nexus 6p. I could make a atleast a hundred probably on both.
I'm in canada!

Also I don't mind my current schedule. I usually use my upgrade one year, buy a phone that isn't highly priced off contract the year after, then use my upgrade again, repeat.

I'm hoping 2016 someone offers something worthwhile to waste the upgrade on. Has to be something really high end and good.

I'm in canada!

Also I don't mind my current schedule. I usually use my upgrade one year, buy a phone that isn't highly priced off contract the year after, then use my upgrade again, repeat.

I'm hoping 2016 someone offers something worthwhile to waste the upgrade on. Has to be something really high end and good.

The 820 next year will save Android. The 808 and 810 suck. I doubt the 6P fixed the issues with it. Even the OP2 still suffers lag and being hot.

The 820 next year will save Android. The 808 and 810 suck. I doubt the 6P fixed the issues with it. Even the OP2 still suffers lag and being hot.
I have high hopes for premium android phones in 2016. With the 820 and fingerprint scanner being standard....I wonder who will do 3D touch first. Money is on samsung but if they really do plan on releasing in feb 2016 that doesn't leave a lot of time.

Furyous

Are most people fully using the capability of the 808 and 810 enough to warrant the need for the 820?

Google charged me twice last week for $0 so now I'm kinda scared. I'll contact them tomorrow to figure out what those two charges are. Canceled my 5X preorder again because who buys a device without reading reviews? I read 20 reviews and watched 25 video reviews of the LG G3 before purchasing. Is it true Marshmellow takes up 4 GB of space and Google allows you to avoid downloading certain apps? I'm trying to get the OS size down to at least 3.2 GB. That gives me plenty of space to play with hopefully. Someone on kickstarter or Mophie needs to come through with the case to save us from poor storage.

Are most people fully using the capability of the 808 and 810 enough to warrant the need for the 820?

The 808 and 810 are severely hampered by the architecture they are using. The 820 will be more powerful, more power efficient, and run cooler. It's a win even if you don't care about power. Very few games even take advantage of the 801 processor in my OPO to be honest, but better framerates never hurt.

longdi

Banned
Still on the 801, and I don't feel the need for additional mhz or cores. I don't play mobile games. I think 2016 phones should concentrate on improving storage speeds and access times. That will bring better user experience over soc improvements

Oh and longer battery life too.

Reckoner

What to buy now tho

I don't feel like buying a phone with a 810 is a safe purchase at this point. Was really liking the Z5, but these new reports of overheating start worrying me. I've got no smartphone right now and have a 200 discount at a store here, but they only have Sammy phones, LG, iPhones and the Z3 at launch price. I could rebuy the Nexus 6 at another store since it is at such a low price and then buy the Z6 with the 820 next year... but I don't know. I got rid of it for a reason, right?

What to buy now tho

I don't feel like buying a phone with a 810 is a safe purchase at this point. Was really liking the Z5, but these new reports of overheating start worrying me. I've got no smartphone right now and have a 200 discount at a store here, but they only have Sammy phones, LG, iPhones and the Z3 at launch price. I could rebuy the Nexus 6 at another store since it is at such a low price and then buy the Z6 with the 820 next year... but I don't know. I got rid of it for a reason, right?
do what I did...get something cheap that will last you a max of 1 year and then just get the first real BEAST of 2016.

What to buy now tho

Zenphone 2 maybe? Def a good in between phone.

Reckoner

do what I did...get something cheap that will last you a max of 1 year and then just get the first real BEAST of 2016.

Zenphone 2 maybe? Def a good in between phone.

At that store the Z5c would cost me like 250 euros, which is pretty cheap. But that would get me a 810 anyway, so... There's that. In comparison, rebuying the Nexus 6 would cost me 430 euros. The Zenphone 2 hasn't come out here yet, but I thought about it. Would be lovely if they dropped the price of the Z3 to about a half, then I would be able to get it almost for free, but I doubt it - they usually don't do decent price drops around here.

Shirow

Banned
So I was at the apple store some days ago, and got to play around with the new "force touch" feature which seemed nice and all. I wanted to explore it myself since I honestly love tech.
Seeing how some people have rambled about the new "omg it's a revolution!", and "Android will take forever to get this!" I was intrigued by it all. I saw some info on the apple sites and such.

But upon using the feature and playing with it, looking at what actually pops up on the apps I couldn't stop thinking that what was popping up wasn't this "revolutionary" way of "right clicking" on an app.

What's popping up is a widget.

I was like: did apple just figured out a way to pop app related widgets in an out of the apps themselves and fooled everyone into thinking: No No it's the equivalent of a right click! Lol come on man it's a Widget.

Why would Android users who are accustomed to real customizable, static and elegant widgets that allow quicker access to features without the hassle of hard pressing need this at all? If anything something like this would be a forgettable extra on Android OS.

Beautiful, informative widgets that provide an quicker access to features is a high note of Android's difference of ios, if anything this is ios trying to catch up with a well marketed stealth work around it looks like.

EmiPrime

So I was at the apple store some days ago, and got to play around with the new "force touch" feature which seemed nice and all. I wanted to explore it myself since I honestly love tech.
Seeing how some people have rambled about the new "omg it's a revolution!", and "Android will take forever to get this!" I was intrigued by it all. I saw some info on the apple sites and such.

But upon using the feature and playing with it, looking at what actually pops up on the apps I couldn't stop thinking that what was popping up wasn't this "revolutionary" way of "right clicking" on an app.

I was like: did apple just figured out a way to pop app related widgets in an out of the apps themselves and fooled everyone into thinking: No No it's the equivalent of a right click! Lol come on man it's a Widget.

Why would Android users who are accustomed to real customizable, static and elegant widgets that allow quicker access to features without the hassle of hard pressing need this at all? If anything something like this would be a forgettable extra on Android OS.

Beautiful, informative widgets that provide an quicker access to features is a high note of Android's difference of ios, if anything this is ios trying to catch up with a well marketed stealth work around it looks like.

whynotboth.gif

Really seems like a pointless feature. It seems like it takes as long to long press as it would to open the app in most cases.

No Love

Banned
Alright, so I've been using my Moto X Pure continously for a more than 30 minutes now. Reading stuff on the internet and browsing gaf. With a monitoring app, the phone currently runs at 112°Fahrenheit or 44.4 celsius.

It definitely feels warm and there is a slowdown when browsing and even when typing. Laggy sort of type.

I am not really liking that it gets this hot. What's the normal temperature for phones when just browsing the internet? Phones are not supposed to get this hot while just doing something this simple right?

I think I'm going to return this phone... I've had it since Wednesday.

That's bad... I saw my G4 hit 102F last night when I was charging, torrenting, and watching a video on the web all at the same time, and that's 10x more intensive than what you were doing.

Return that shit.

Shirow

Banned
Really seems like a pointless feature. It seems like it takes as long to long press as it would to open the app in most cases.
It does, force touch is nice when its application is done for pictures "make them move" and such and games and such.
But it's main selling point as a way to "interact with app features" as something that's unachievable on android was really just sales mauvering tactics that was chewed up by alot out there.

but you can do it in apps too. like thats how you view the Zoes in the gallery.

Lunar FC

Fun fact: The HTC One M9 was recorded at around 55C at its hottest.

Couple years ago I was taking a final exam for a course in a underground building that had little internet access. My M7 was looking for wifi & 4G constantly for over an hour straight. My phone was unbearably hot and literally burning my leg by the end of it.

Well guys, it seems like my iPhone 6S+ is coming to my house tomorrow.

I'll have to skip this years Nexus 6P and wait for one that has Snapdragon 820.

I don't like the Snapdragon 810.

It really doesn't. It's instantaneous.

Was skeptical of the feature, but it's tremendously useful.

I tried it out in store and wasn't really impressed.

Well guys, it seems like my iPhone 6S+ is coming to my house tomorrow.

I'll have to skip this years Nexus 6P and wait for one that has Snapdragon 820.

I don't like the Snapdragon 810.

Probably a good move. Maybe the 6P being all metal will help keep it cooler though.

SimleuqiR

The article was there to drive comments and traffic. And it worked. I don't read the verge for the reason i don't watch first take, but they both know exactly what they are doing and are extremely successful.

They have to. I mean, who are they going to piss enough to click their articles? iPhone owners? Those guys have the ability to block ads. Gotta go after Android now to get them clicks.

I just wanna say the OP2 speaker design is horrible. It has 2 speaker holes on the bottom of the phone, but only one of them houses a speaker. When you are playing games on it your hand continually blocks the hole that actually has a speaker making you have to hold the phone awkwardly to be able to hear the music.

I think 6P this year is the right choice (pending reviews obviously) and if you want to go the iWay, the 7 will be it.

Yeah, if you want an Android phone this year, 6P seems to be the way to go if you don't like Touchwiz. The lack of back button and led notification light on IP6S+ will probably be a deal breaker for me when I use it.

Dazzla

I just wanna say the OP2 speaker design is horrible. It has 2 speaker holes on the bottom of the phone, but only one of them houses a speaker. When you are playing games on it your hand continually blocks the hole that actually has a speaker making you have to hold the phone awkwardly to be able to hear the music.
Hello iPhone...

Husker86

To clarify, I bought it from AT&T and unlocked it. Still good?

Nope. That's still an AT&T phone.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit worried about the 6P and the 810. I told myself I wasn't going to buy a phone with the 810, but I really want a Nexus again, and I can't go back to not having a fingerprint scanner.

Nope. That's still an AT&T phone.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit worried about the 6P and the 810. I told myself I wasn't going to buy a phone with the 810, but I really want a Nexus again, and I can't go back to not having a fingerprint scanner.

I'm sure it will be fine with the dev support the 6P gets. They will be able to downclock or fine tune it some. Maybe all metal will help keep it cooler as well? I read somewhere that should help.

I have high hopes for premium android phones in 2016. With the 820 and fingerprint scanner being standard....I wonder who will do 3D touch first. Money is on samsung but if they really do plan on releasing in feb 2016 that doesn't leave a lot of time.

3D touch is going to be nonsense and even more gimmicky on Android. There won't be any widespread dev support, until Google starts implementing it into the OS. That might be at least a year away. Devs won't adapt their code to implement various manufacturers versions of that feature.

Couple years ago I was taking a final exam for a course in a underground building that had little internet access. My M7 was looking for wifi & 4G constantly for over an hour straight. My phone was unbearably hot and literally burning my leg by the end of it.

Not defending HTC or anything but
There's this amazing thing called Airplane Mode for situations like that on any phone

Guys, I'm interested in the Lenovo ZUK z1. It's pretty nifty on paper and it looks good on photos. And it's in my price range. Anyone know something about it?

tzare

i'm with you. I'm sure some interesting and probably creative ways to use 3d touch will pop out in the future, but i still doubt it will be something relevant and mainstream. Some apps will probably benefit from it, but that's it.

Btw, anyone knows of any reliable app to know if a battery is healthy or not?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom