• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikodemos

Sony have finally released their Lollipop version for the Xperia M2 (and probably other mid-range phones as well).

Hopefully this breaks thr "Lol, Sony firmware support" combo that tended to plague them and their midrage offering for some while.

tzare

Sony have finally released their Lollipop version for the Xperia M2 (and probably other mid-range phones as well).

Hopefully this breaks thr "Lol, Sony firmware support" combo that tended to plague them and their midrage offering for some while.

not all of them, but yeah sony seem to support more devices than other oems lately. There was a bit of pressure since m2 was quite popular in some markets and wasn't initially included in their upgrade plan.

But lollipop doesn't seem like an upgrade, really, besides more consistent UI and modern look, reading impressions on other forums M2 seems to take a hit on battery life, just like most phones that go from Kitkat to 5.X

Mindwipe

i'm with you. I'm sure some interesting and probably creative ways to use 3d touch will pop out in the future, but i still doubt it will be something relevant and mainstream. Some apps will probable benefit from it, but that's it.

Btw, anyone knows of any reliable app to know if a battery is healthy or not?
Thanks

I agree. I think it's too complicated to get much use, and I think many app makers will ignore it or do quick, bad implementations as a result.

There are a few bits of iOS 9 I think it's exceptionally clunky on, or completely absent when it should be there.

Kuros

Note that Phonearena has now updated the source article for this saying it has nothing to do with heat and they were wrong.

(Not that it's okay, but it sounds much more like the digitiser driver is crashing in some circumstances, so hopefully is a quick software fix.)

There is a bug that's for sure. But the article in it's original form was a definite for of FUD.

Saiyan-Rox

I've been considering it too, they took the money right away last year when I pre-ordered a Nexus 6. At least they tried to, every time I order from there it gets blocked and flagged as suspicious by the credit card company.

Just a heads up I wouldn't go with CPW

I canceled the playstore and went to them and after ordering I noticed no payment was taken....rang them up and low and behold they've no stock left when I was told before the sale they did :/

Cancelled them and now back on the play store....their goes my line in the queue.

EDIT: yep now November....fuck CPW

Kuros

Just a heads up I wouldn't go with CPW

I canceled the playstore and went to them and after ordering I noticed no payment was taken....rang them up and low and behold they've no stock left when I was told before the sale they did :/

Cancelled them and now back on the play store....their goes my line in the queue.

EDIT: yep now November....fuck CPW

They're such cheeky fuckers. They do this all the time with the date to suck up pre orders knowing most people won't cancel. Much worse warranty to.

Nikodemos

not all of them, but yeah sony seem to support more devices than other oems lately. There was a bit of pressure since m2 was quite popular in some markets and wasn't initially included in their upgrade plan.
Yes, the M2 and M2 Aqua were quite aggressively promoted in some places. I myself bought the phone for the equivalent of $10 (albeit with a contract extension). It's pretty decent for a Snapdragon 400-powered device.

But lollipop doesn't seem like an upgrade, really, besides more consistent UI and modern look, reading impressions on other forums M2 seems to take a hit on battery life, just like most phones that go from Kitkat to 5.X
Well, first impression is that, at least in my opinion, the UI is worse than 4.4.4, with ugly wide pastel bars everywhere.

OTOH it somehow 'feels' a bit snappier in some apps and screen transitions.

I have however encountered an issue, namely that some app icons have disappeared from my app list. They are listed as 'installed' when opening the store and they show up when tapping to add a shortcut to the home screen, but there's no icon in the larger installed apps list.

tzare

I mean good implementation lol

Unless it is supported by android,something doesn't seem to be the case in the near future, do not expect great things about it, only for Huawei own skin & Apps.
Apple has the edge there, since they own both soft and hard and it is easier to see some consistence.
But i guess huawei will copy them sooner than later and adapt EMUI, which is already a rip off of iOS

Unless it is supported by android,something doesn't seem to be the case in the near future, do not expect great things about it, only for Huawei own skin & Apps.
Apple has the edge there, since they own both soft and hard and it is easier to see some consistence.
But i guess huawei will copy them sooner than later and adapt EMUI, which is already a rip off of iOS
We'll see. I'm just hoping there's more to individual 2016 flagships then "look now we're re-releasing the same flagship from last year but this time with a fingerprint scanner" or "same flagship as before but this time with an 820 instead of an 808/810!!!".

Hope they all improve where they need to improve. S7 on battery/software. HTC on hardware. LG on hardware/software. Moto on not skimping and not releasing different phones for different regions.

I want some meaningful improvements. But the more I think about it the more I fear we're honestly getting 2015 but with 820s. I'm anxiously hoping to be proven wrong.

Man, could you imagine an HTC One M10 with the exact same design for another year?

Do they even have anyone left to design phones?
I honestly think the M10 will be just like their upcoming A9 in design. AKA near identical to the design of the iphone 6. Which reminds me, next year is brand new iphones year as well so everyone better step their game up.

I honestly think the M10 will be just like their upcoming A9 in design. AKA near identical to the design of the iphone 6. Which reminds me, next year is brand new iphones year as well so everyone better step their game up.

That really makes me question who sent evleaks the M9 renders. It had to be someone reliable, since he doubled down on that.

Pyro, IT HAS TO BE REAL. I WANT IT TO BE REAL!

tzare

We'll see. I'm just hoping there's more to individual 2016 flagships then "look now we're re-releasing the same flagship from last year but this time with a fingerprint scanner" or "same flagship as before but this time with an 820 instead of an 808/810!!!".

Hope they all improve where they need to improve. S7 on battery/software. HTC on hardware. LG on hardware/software. Moto on not skimping and not releasing different phones for different regions.

I want some meaningful improvements. But the more I think about it the more I fear we're honestly getting 2015 but with 820s. I'm anxiously hoping to be proven wrong.

Well, i also want something beyond new soc and incremental updates here and there, camera, performance...
But the only thing i can think about is, as you mentionend, battery life, improvements on all devices, not only phablets. I guess efficent SoC is part of the equation, but also battery size.
Other improvements is no compromises, at least for flaships, all should come with 'everything': NFC, Fingerprint scanner, wireless charging, waterproof, IR blaster...etc etc....

As far as 3D touch, it is good to have, but i do not see as necessary, but probably some OEM's will include so they can say they have it.

roytheone

Just got hold of an Oneplus 2 invite and ordered one. I fear It's a bit big for my taste, but hopefully I will get used to that quickly.

hitgirl

So whut are we gonna complain about this week?

Moto X 2014 people think Motorolla is going to backpedal this week on their no updates unless pure version. LOL

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my 2014 moto X arriving this week isn't on 5.1, so I may root.

Maiar_m

My complaining about the N6P outside of the USA will rage on eternally. (Rumors say it won't even be around here before November 9)

My complaining about the N6P outside of the USA will rage on eternally. (Rumors say it won't even be around here before November 9)
If you're ok with it, i will rage too...

9th November? Then ... don't bother releasing them here at all, Google ...
Right now, i'm pretty sure it's skip year for me, going for N5-3 or ... N6P-2 if nothing else is possible in 2016, but i fear that they will keep that late-expensive-fuck-eu release for future devices ...
On the other hand, i don't want to deal with some OEM skin on Android ... and Motorola with the least offensive one always has some kind of a dealbreaker in terms of hardware and/or features.

Great.

Maiar_m

Oh that's exactly why I'm angry at the way the Nexii are handled this time around the the EU: even with that huge fuck you, I still can't bring myself to buy anything but the 6P. Google is my abusive, castrating girlfriend I can't bring myself to dump.

I'm not sure my N5 will hold onto 2016, and even if it does, flagships will arrive relatively late in the year with dissuasive pricing and the usual set of deal-breakers.

Reckoner

Tried a Galaxy S6 today. Solid build quality, but that colorful software feels like I'm looking at the rainbow. Such bad taste it's laughable.

It's so frustrating buying a good smartphone these days, man.

Tried a Galaxy S6 today. Solid build quality, but that colorful software feels like I'm looking at the rainbow. Such bad taste it's laughable.

There's a ton of themes in the theme store so that's not even a valid excuse anymore.

Yeah if you get a Samsung a phone using a diffetent launcher is mad necessary.

kami_sama

They're still doing that crap? Like... what's the point anymore?

Their reasoning is solid. Atari bankrupted when they couldn't sell 1 million copies of the ET game (mind you, they still sold 1.5 million). They want to avoid having unsold stock in stores or storage, so the invite system helps them with that problem. They only sell to the public whatever they have on stock, the phones come in and are sold as soon as possible.

They fucked up with the implementation, though. Non-transferable (not really) invites and a very bumpy launch were the bane of the invite system.

Ashes

Banned
Their reasoning is solid. Atari bankrupted when they couldn't sell 1 million copies of the ET game (mind you, they still sold 1.5 million). They want to avoid having unsold stock in stores or storage, so the invite system helps them with that problem. They only sell to the public whatever they have on stock, the phones come in and are sold as soon as possible.

They fucked up with the implementation, though. Non-transferable (not really) invites and a very bumpy launch were the bane of the invite system.

Just sell directly to the public via their own website.

daoster

So my Google Now has basically turned to shit... Basically, a blank screen now, with only the search bar. Lame...it's been reallllllly ugly since the rebranding too.

Reckoner

From what you've seen? There's literally hundreds of themes.

I've not seen them all, ofc, but I looked and I didn't see one that pleased me.

I feel like I would regret buying it tho. The build quality is really great, but I just want a great phone out of the box that just works. I got tired of having to install custom stuff to get my Nexus 6 working as I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom