• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not seen them all, ofc, but I looked and I didn't see one that pleased me.

I feel like I would regret buying it tho. The build quality is really great, but I just want a great phone out of the box that just works. I got tired of having to install custom stuff to get my Nexus 6 working as I wanted.

That's fine and all, but from what I've seen, there's a lot of them they emulate the same themes Nova and Apex have.

Your only regret is either bloat or battery life.

I can get the S6 Edge 32gb for 500 euros. As a one year phone I'm not sure. Eh.

That seems like a decent enough price by European standards. 6P seems like the only other Android phone worth a shit this year, and that'll run you another 150 no? I'm no fan of Samsung's software and aesthetics either but it's nice hardware, and it really is dead simple to change the look with those two downloads.

Nikodemos

Why are you still using Lollipop?

Vyse pls.
What's wrong with Lollipop? Seems to be running better than KitKat on my Xperia M2, at least so far. The battery drain issue is true, however, which is unfortunate since the M2 already had somewhat mediocre autonomy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's wrong with Lollipop? Seems to be running better than KitKat on my Xperia M2, at least so far. The battery drain issue is true, however, which is unfortunate since the M2 already had somewhat mediocre autonomy.

When did the m2 update come out? I remember wanting the update for my wife's m2 and being disappointed whe it wasn't listed by Sony. So I'll probably update her - although I can't remember now what the reason was for wanting it.

Hasney

Hey, this thread looks less like an asylum since when I last looked a week and a half ago. Good times.

I really want to smash my Nexus 6 on the floor. It's a laggy, buggy disaster. You Marshmallow preview folks better be right about the update.

To be fair, mine was never laggy on L so I've only been celebrating the battery life.

Nikodemos

When did the m2 update come out? I remember wanting the update for my wife's m2 and being disappointed whe it wasn't listed by Sony. So I'll probably update her - although I can't remember now what the reason was for wanting it.
Today in my (Vodafone) case.

Do note, however, that I lost some of my app icons after updating, even though the apps are still installed. So I'd suggest you backup your stuff, update, reset then restore.

teiresias

I so want to flash the factory image on my N5, but it take so much work to disable all the sites that use two-factor authentication and then set it all back up that nowadays I'm completely on the "wait for OTA" camp when it comes to updates. I'm paranoid I'll forget a site that uses it and then have to jump through hoops to gain access back to one of my accounts.

Reading Ars' Marshmallow review. Sounds like Now on Tap is another half-baked idea from Google that ends up being as useless as Google Now.

Arstechnica released a great in depth review on Android Marshmallow :http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/android-6-0-marshmallow-thoroughly-reviewed/

I liked reading the details behind Doze Mode. I'm hoping that it works as intended, though I fear devs will abuse the loop hole and mark many of the messages within the their app as high priority, which bypasses doze mode.

let's see what they say about battery life

marshmallow_review.001.png

We haven't heard much from Google on the active-use battery front, and sure enough, Marshmallow lasts just as long as Lollipop in our battery test. This keeps the screen on the whole time and loads a set of web pages until the phone dies. Most of Google's battery focus went to idle time with Doze mode, and it does greatly increase the amount of time an Android device will survive on a table.

Hasney

We haven't heard much from Google on the active-use battery front, and sure enough, Marshmallow lasts just as long as Lollipop in our battery test. This keeps the screen on the whole time and loads a set of web pages until the phone dies. Most of Google's battery focus went to idle time with Doze mode, and it does greatly increase the amount of time an Android device will survive on a table.

Yeah, the fix is idle time, because that was the joke on Android.

Husker86

I'm sure it will be fine with the dev support the 6P gets. They will be able to downclock or fine tune it some. Maybe all metal will help keep it cooler as well? I read somewhere that should help.
I just hope it's cooler because of the design. I haven't rooted phones since I got the Nexus 5 and have no desire to go back to doing that.

kami_sama

F**k. I want a new phone. But right now I can only get a OPT or cheaper. I suppose I can wait until next year, but new nexus devices with the 820 will not arrive until October next year.

Saiyan-Rox

Aaand again

Yep I guess asking the N9 to restore from a backup was just too much to ask cause now it does 1 then locks up the play store needing me to reboot...

How the fuck is the N9 so bad? The soc should be amazing, and my Moto G with 1GB has better multitasking.

Who knows but it shouldn't run like this at all :/

Hasney

That wasn't just the N9. My N6 locked up the Play Store while it was restoring a backup, so just leave it until its done.

Didn't reboot or owt, just the Play Store was unusable

Saiyan-Rox

That wasn't just the N9. My N6 locked up the Play Store while it was restoring a backup, so just leave it until its done.

Didn't reboot or owt, just the Play Store was unusable

Well at least there's that. it's done now I just canceled it and just downloading one by one.

I just read this and L O L

Furyous

How much space does Marshmallow take up on your device? With both Nexii orders canceled until reviews come out I need to live vicariously through your experiences to give me an idea of whether or not switching to Android now is a good idea.

My iphone 5 is dying and it comes down to:

A 128 GB ipod touch six gen
32 GB Nexus 5X + USB -C microsd reader + Folio case + 128 GB microsd stick
128 GB Nexus 6P which I'm not entirely sure I can wield with one hand.

Finally OnePlus customer service responds to my return request after a week and wants me to send pictures of the phone to make sure there isn't physical damage. For a return request lol

hitgirl

Oh, my bitching this week includes buying a Moto X 2014 the night before Moto announced they will not support updates on carrier phones for it. Price is already gone down on Swapa. Can't win with this shit, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom