• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah but it's just not the same as having access to it anywhere with a swipe or by voice. Plus it's about to get even better with on tap.
Tap is slow af, making it useless.

NotBacon

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Someone help me understand the Nexus 6 hate. The main gripe was its price but today, for $300, that's not a concern. If it released as a brand new phone today for $300, instead of the crappy 5X, you'd all be thrilled.

Excepting size preference.

NotBacon

The Nexus 6 hate is unbearable.

The hate for the 6 is retarded

The Nexus 6 is the best phone I've ever had.

I don't get the hate for the Nexus 6.

Someone help me understand the Nexus 6 hate.

Welcome to me 8 months ago.
Yeah I know, the price was harder to swallow at $650..... even though that is normal flagship price.

Sky Chief

What you call trolling I call constant disappointment in a platform that can't get its shit together.

6S has been phenomenal, the freezing is some weird software bug that seems to have been fixed in the latest beta.

As someone who has had every iPad since the second gen and every Nexus since the Galaxy Nexus I could not disagree more with your assertions. Pure Android is by far the best mobile OS out there and it is just teeming with really amazing features and is incredibly powerful and customizable. It left iOS in the dust years ago.

From my limited experience in this thread, it seems that just about every phone is overpriced garbage.

Lol, true.

Welcome to me 8 months ago.
Yeah I know, the price was harder to swallow at $650..... even though that is normal flagship price.

Oh, I'm not even talking about the amazing price you can get it for now. He got it for full price and loves it. It's really a great and fast phone.

I just remembered they re-enabled Now on Tap in the M preview and tried it out for the first time and found it really inconsistent. It was able to identify a completely random page in a Harry Potter book...

0ffbaf09b1.png

and then I tried a more obscure title (albeit very recent) and it identified the author and the series but the wrong one in the series (this is like the 10th novel; it thought it was the first novel)

but I think the most damning thing in my eyes is that despite being able to take a random page of a book and identify it, it couldn't identify the cover of a comic that came out two weeks ago, despite the fact that manually img searching the cover would've at least given the title name (but not the issue #)

6ff120b616.jpg

More impressions on the X Play:

It runs great, it loads web pages fast, apps open fast, pretty much runs like a nexus 5 I'd say. There is some stutter if it's loading a website that is extremely graphics heavy for a bit until the page loads. Other than that I don't really notice any lag. I tried opening and switching through a bunch of apps and it was good. Some of the games reloaded (dat 2gb ram).

Battery life is of course absolutely ridiculous. 3650mah battery powering a 1080p screen will do that. Like it's really insane battery life. The device is big. The biggest phone I've ever owned. I think I'm ok with the size TBH but I'd find it really difficult to go any bigger for my hand size.

The turbo charger that came packed in is pretty good. It went from 14% to 100% in less than 2 hours. For a battery this huge that's pretty impressive I'd say.

Display is good. Not S6 good of course but it's good. No complaints.

Camera seems hit or miss in low light, good otherwise. Big improvement over previous moto phones but still lots of room for improvement. Especially the the app itself.

Defnitely a phone anyone can use for the duration of the year and probably most if not all of 2016 and be happy. Now I wait until I use my upgrade next year on something more high end but I know it's going to be hard to let go of this battery. Hopefully someone delivers.

Side note: google REALLY needs to set a standard for app icons. This shit is ridiculously ugly.

Doesn't the X Play lack a gyroscope? As lol worthy as no NFC on the OPT.

Doesn't the X Play lack a gyroscope? As lol worthy as no NFC on the OPT.

I wouldn't say it's that bad--NFC would be used more and more in the coming months due to Android Pay. Gyroscope would only be used really only in games...and most modern mobile games are worthless anyways so no big loss.

Kevyt

Is it just me or does the Moto X pure run considerably hot under moderate to heavy use?

My Asus Zenfone 2 (with its famed battery murdering Intel cpu) wouldn't get this hot...

Weird.

Well it's not that hot but I find it annoying.

Articalys

Jumping back about a day's worth posts...
Verizon uses LTE band 13 and AT&T uses LTE band 17 for their 700mhz frequency coverage. T-Mobile only just recently started using LTE band 12, and they are still in the process of rolling it out across the US.
Just realized I forgot to ask, where can I look up their current band 12 coverage, to know if it's in my area or not?

Is it just me or does the Moto X pure run considerably hot under moderate to heavy use?

My Asus Zenfone 2 (with its famed battery murdering Intel cpu) wouldn't get this hot...

Weird.

I warned you guys about this phone. Gets hotter than the OP2 with Snapdragon 810.

No I just got it. Probably just gonna return it.

Good luck. Got a rma request in 6 days and counting right now with no response. I disputed by paypal and hopefully they will just refund me the money and I'll get to keep the phone too.

Kevyt

I warned you guys about this phone. Gets hotter than the OP2 with Snapdragon 810.

Good luck. Got a rma request in 6 days and counting right now with no response. I disputed by paypal and hopefully they will just refund me the money and I'll get to keep the phone too.

I don't understand why though.

Could it be the screen?

How does the 808 get hotter than the 810? Or I guess OPT uses better thermal pasting?

I don't understand why though.

Could it be the screen?

How does the 808 get hotter than the 810? Or I guess OPT uses better thermal pasting?

Not sure, but I remember the Pure being so hot to hold that it was uncomfortable even doing simple stuff like browsing the web in chrome.

More impressions on the X Play:

It runs great, it loads web pages fast, apps open fast, pretty much runs like a nexus 5 I'd say. There is some stutter if it's loading a website that is extremely graphics heavy for a bit until the page loads. Other than that I don't really notice any lag. I tried opening and switching through a bunch of apps and it was good. Some of the games reloaded (dat 2gb ram).

Battery life is of course absolutely ridiculous. 3650mah battery powering a 1080p screen will do that. Like it's really insane battery life. The device is big. The biggest phone I've ever owned. I think I'm ok with the size TBH but I'd find it really difficult to go any bigger for my hand size.

The turbo charger that came packed in is pretty good. It went from 14% to 100% in less than 2 hours. For a battery this huge that's pretty impressive I'd say.

Display is good. Not S6 good of course but it's good. No complaints.

Camera seems hit or miss in low light, good otherwise. Big improvement over previous moto phones but still lots of room for improvement. Especially the the app itself.

Defnitely a phone anyone can use for the duration of the year and probably most if not all of 2016 and be happy. Now I wait until I use my upgrade next year on something more high end but I know it's going to be hard to let go of this battery. Hopefully someone delivers.

Side note: google REALLY needs to set a standard for app icons. This shit is ridiculously ugly.
Thanks for the impressions. The Play sounds like a pretty good phone, and the sd615 seems to be a surprisingly good SoC.

What do you mean about the icons? The size or a uniform shape? If it's the former, I believe there actually are icon guidelines on the design site. Many devs just don't follow them.

I just remembered they re-enabled Now on Tap in the M preview and tried it out for the first time and found it really inconsistent. It was able to identify a completely random page in a Harry Potter book...

and then I tried a more obscure title (albeit very recent) and it identified the author and the series but the wrong one in the series (this is like the 10th novel; it thought it was the first novel)

but I think the most damning thing in my eyes is that despite being able to take a random page of a book and identify it, it couldn't identify the cover of a comic that came out two weeks ago, despite the fact that manually img searching the cover would've at least given the title name (but not the issue #)

6ff120b616.jpg
Now on Tap seems to rely a lot on Knowledge Graph. Not for everything, of course, but if it's an entity in knowledge graph, it usually gets it right. At least this is the impression I got from playing around with a friend's Nexus 6 today. I'd say it was 90% right with the things I tried. The good thing is that on tap can only improve from here, and where it's at currently is incredibly impressive to me, especially for a "1.0" release. Thanks for the impressions too!

snacknuts

we all knew her

Weird.

I had one for a couple weeks and it never once got hot.

Thanks for the impressions. The Play sounds like a pretty good phone, and the sd615 seems to be a surprisingly good SoC.

What do you mean about the icons? The size or a uniform shape? If it's the former, I believe there actually are icon guidelines on the design site. Many devs just don't follow them.
Both. Some are bigger than others. They're all to big though. And the different shapes are annoying.

Both. Some are bigger than others. They're all to big though. And the different shapes are annoying.
Ah ok. Yeah, it'd be nice to have some uniformity, but it is what it is. I remember when KitKat(?) was coming out and people thought Google was going to make all there icons circular. I think a circle would have been a good choice for the icon guidelines. At least we have icon packs! Google should embrace the community and add support for them in the Google launcher.

man i forgot the nextbit robin was a thing. anyone here actually back that? it seems like a joke after the 5X got announced--they're pretty much the same spec-wise.

Ashes

Banned
Forget where you parked your car? Google Now tells you. Sweet!

I knew this when it launched. But only used it to great effect last night. There was so much traffic getting into work, that I just parked on a random street, and walked the last four or five blocks with no real recollection of where I parked.

#technologyisawesome!

Sometimes.

I got 6.85 bucks on Play Store credit and don't know what to do with them. Is there anything worthwhile on the Play Store in terms of apps?

I already have Pocket Casts, which is the only paid app I wanted.

I don't have a Chromecast, so there's no point in renting or buying movies. Not a Google Music user either. And I definitely don't play games on my phone.

Bboy AJ

I got 6.85 bucks on Play Store credit and don't know what to do with them. Is there anything worthwhile on the Play Store in terms of apps?

I already have Pocket Casts, which is the only paid app I wanted.

I don't have a Chromecast, so there's no point in renting or buying movies. Not a Google Music user either. And I definitely don't play games on my phone.
Fenix for Twitter. Press for rss, although devs abandoned it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Someone help me understand the Nexus 6 hate. The main gripe was its price but today, for $300, that's not a concern. If it released as a brand new phone today for $300, instead of the crappy 5X, you'd all be thrilled.

Excepting size preference.

Is more than 20 minutes old therefore is objectively shit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i dont get why anyone would choose the 5X over the 6.

the 6P is a solid deal..

It's as though people in this thread seem to think price is the only variable in choosing a phone?

It's last year's phone at a miserable price. It's a phone for hipsters.

For the US, it seems a decent enough option to me? You get a great camera, the sensor hub and associated ambient screen will be great if it is like the glance screen on old lumias, and fingerprint reader means better usability for android pay. It's a good price and you get $50 google play credit.

Lots of people will find a larger phone too big, so it genuinely seems the best phone if you want something around 5"

Saiyan-Rox

Nexus 6 hate in here is just stupid its at a price where it's well worth it - just cause you hate the size and the fact it was overpriced on launch doesn't make it shit now. Is a great device if you're okay with the size which you get used too tbh, it doesn't lag, the speakers are great (albeit with a feature that is just stupid) and with the M preview its battery is improved.

I know some people didn't like the screen calibration but I never really noticed anything.

The N6p is only 50 quid cheaper here and it's not getting anywhere near the hate the original 6 has.

Bboy AJ

Are the Nexus 6P speakers like the 6? Where all this gunk gets stuck. I hate it on the 6.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Both the wife and I are up for renewal in early December.

She's coming from a Z1, which she's loved. Battery is some kind of witchcraft (she'll regularly finish the day with 50%+ battery left) and the camera takes a great shot. Calls, messaging, the odd bit of social media and photos/videos of the kids are all she really needs in a phone. Camera is very important though, she doesn't like carrying around our RX100 II, but wants to reduce the compromise a phone forces on you as much as possible. So I'm thinking G4, S6 or the Z5 maybe for her upgrade. Anything else I should seriously be looking at for her?

Meanwhile I'm still happy with my OnePlus One, so I'm thinking I might stick? Nothing this year grabs me, and if I went for a one year sim only deal, I'd be well placed for (hopefully?) better phones next year?

Saiyan-Rox

Hoping the Marshmallow factory images go up tomorrow....Hoping it has some magic for the N9

Come on Goog...

It's not gonna make a lick of difference is it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom