• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
I just traded in my baby :(. It's going to tablet heaven.

BTW, since when is Insignia making iPad Mini clones with expandable storage? That shit actually looked kind of nice when I was playing with the in-store model at Best Buy lol. Has 2k resolution like the Mini, Zenpad, and Tab S2 and running lollipop.

The front of the glorious nexus 5-2 folks, on a spike lee angle, not a fan of the grills but don't even care, looks exactly like the onleaks render:

HEU94ww.png

It look like a mini brick.

Unlimited Data

The funny thing is I have grandfathered unlimited data on Verizon, which is why I can't quit them ever. But I still ordered a 128 GB microSD to go with my Note 4 DE because of how unreliable the cell network is and also having all your content local is just straight up more convenient.

Also I want to get into recording 4K video with my phone and I want to have storage to be able to do that.

Husker86

Y'all must have killer data plans to stream all of your content.

I have a 20GB shared plan with a few people and don't have issues. I pin my thumbs up playlist from Google Music, and the only time I'm on cellular and not WiFi is when driving.

That said, 16GB isn't enough. If I ever have to think about micromanaging installed apps, then the storage is insufficient.

SimleuqiR

The front of the glorious nexus 5-2 folks, on a spike lee angle, not a fan of the grills but don't even care, looks exactly like the onleaks render:

HEU94ww.png

This picture. My god. Couldn't they have taken it at a better angle?
It is very difficult to tell how thick the phone is. That keyboard is in fron to it at a angle.

Could be as thick as the Nexus 5 (2013).

reKon

Banned
A ton of good impressions on the Galaxy Tab S2 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/galaxy-tab-s2-t3172768

I don't know why I didn't think of checking xda out earlier. Apparently for some users, it's given them better battery than the tab S 8.4...

I'm not even sure how that make sense, but I'll take it lol. I saw one screen with someone who got nearly 9 hours of on screen time with over 2 days usage before dying, but obviously your mile will vary. The one consistent thing I've been reading from the reviews and impressions is that the performance is much better than the Tab S. It's not Exynos 7240, but I'm pretty sure it's beating on all other CPUs including the SD 810, SD805, and Z3580 (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll try to post some impressions later as I'm not sure if I want to play with this thing tonight or not.

So I grabbed an iPad Air today since it was on sale and I didn't want to bother searching for a second-rate Android tablet that will surely have some sort of compromise. The tablet itself is great as iPad's tend to be, but having not used iOS in awhile I'm reminded how terrible some of the elements in it are like scrolling and the lack of proper widgets.

gcubed

I know, I hate this too!

I especially like this excerpt from the Verge review: "Samsung’s explanation for all of these decisions around the Tab S2 is that it mostly expects this to be a "living room device" — which maybe also says something about how we’re all using (or not using) our tablets. Battery life, in this scenario, doesn’t matter as much; you can always plug in if it’s lying around the house."

Well they are half right. But at the very least, this could have included fast charging.. SMH.

Anyways, I don't spend over $300 on android tablets. I don't use phablets. My Nexus 7 (2013) is borderline unusable. I really need/want something for when I'm traveling and when I'm laying in bed. The most important thing to me was performance and screen quality based on my experience with the Nexus 7 and I have a portable charger now when I travel. Other than the Zenpad, there's no Android tablet's worth owning around the $300 price range since all the cheaper ones suck and all the $400 ones... are $400 lol.

Zenpad

Lol techtastic trash

reKon

Banned
this tablet is light as fuck, Jesus.

so far Touchwiz hasn't ruined my life like it did to most of the posters here so that's possitve. Definitely a huge step up from my 2nd gen Nexus 7. I'm Updating it to 5.1.1 right now. Now all I need is for it to get rooted so I can get Remote Play on this thing.

Also, multiwindow was much needed for me... thank you based Samsung

Thank you. I was thinking to myself "Ah shit, looks like a fuckin Moto G"

Seriously. I saw that picture and thought "not only looks that thing fat, they seriously had to copy Motorola's shitty speaker grill design?"

I really hope we'll get some controlled leaks next week. Otherwise I'm going to drown in the shitty Apple news cycle.

tzare

You complained about one handed usability, so the physical buttons are irrelevant there... both devices with identical screen to bezel ratios would handle just about the same.

Having the first 4K display sets Sony apart from everyone else, and is something they can use to help generate more sales. If they're still giving us the same 2 day battery life, then who cares? Whether you wan to admit it or not, smartphone screens will keep going higher and higher resolution. Someone's got to be first, and this time it was Sony.

As for 810, it looks like overheating is not much of a concern based on what we're seeing so far, and performance seems excellent based on GSM Arenas testing with a pre-production unit:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5-review-1293.php
I didn't complain about one handed usability, i have a note 4, so no problems for me. The issue is the big bezels on top and bottom that make the phone look dated. It is not a huge problem, but other phones, including sony's own Z3C have smaller bezels and look (also feel) better and more stylish.
My note 4 has a bigger screen yet is smaller, and the same with the note 5 compared to Z5 Premium. Sony needs too improve their design, for example Xperia T was awesome, but since Z series all phones almost look the same , 3 years with just minor changes.

SD810... we will see, but it is a early 2015 SoC so the premium price is a bit too much...

Groof

Believing leaks/rumours these days is stupid. Unless they have a great track record its useless to take it at face value.

What I don't get is why didn't motorola release the Moto X Force (or bounce) as the main moto x phone for the year. A decent screen size, huge battery, top specs, etc...

hitgirl

If phones were $1 each I'd have a nexus 6 for around the house and on the toilet. Than a Nexus 5 for walkin around.

Do you need a phone or a tablet?

The size is a little offputting but it'll be cheaper than the Moto X and it's actually fully stock.

I just don't know how their specs work out. I know the X Pure doesn't have the best hardware but how does it compare to the Nexus? (I'm coming from iOS)

Huh, Gigaset announced some iPhones smartphones at IFA.

Specs look good.

Gigaset ME

5" 1080p display
Snapdragon 810 w/Adreno 430 GPU
32 GB of internal storage
microSD card slot (up to 128 GB)
16 MP rear camera
8 MP FFC
3000 mAh battery
USB Type-C port
Fingerprint reader
heart rate scanner
pedometer
UV sensor
IR blaster

ME Pro is the 5.5" version and comes with 5 GB RAM (that's not a typo) and a 4,000 mAh battery

€469

Available in UK, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, Turkey, Poland and Spain

Specs and price look great, actually.

Updates and skin are big question marks, though.

reKon

Banned
So I noticed last night that there's one stuck pixel on my tablet, which I just bought yesterday..

It's driving me crazy...

What are the chances that best buy lets me return this and exchange for another of the same one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom