• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuck using my friend's Galaxy s3 since my dumpster fire of a nexus 5 crapped the bed...sucks not having data since I'm using my T-Mobile sim in a Verizon phone. I really need these reviews to be out so I can make a decision asap. I'm thinking I'll need the 6p for the extra power considering I ran my nexus 5 into the ground. I was considering the iPhone but after a frustrating night of not being able to for the life of me figure out how to get an MP4 I downloaded onto my jailbroken iPad to even PLAY, I decided to stick with android.

Jzero

Btw, out of curiosity, how many of you guys use screen protectors? I've been using on all my precious phones but I think I won't bother next time. Touching the glass feels so much better.

I never use the piece of shit plastic protectors but the glass versions are a wise investment if you sell your phone every year.

Never needed a screen protector. If you use a tpu case with a lip it will never crack the screen if it falls. I also keep my phone in a pocket by itself with no keys.

You're probably right.

It was inside a case, so I thought that maybe the reviewer was using as daily driver or something like that.

Btw, out of curiosity, how many of you guys use screen protectors? I've been using on all my precious phones but I think I won't bother next time. Touching the glass feels so much better.
I didn't bother for my MotoX but I wish I did because the screen is really beat to hell scratch wise. I usually get glass protectors and haven't had any issues with them. They feel just as great as the screen itself does, but if I drop it or something I'll have a least some since of security that the protector will break instead of the screen.

Furyous

Are we going to talk about the Marshmallow feature that lets you launch apps with your voice? Let me rollover and launch IG, scrolling down the page with my voice saying like as it clicks the button.

There are so many uses for this feature and this means I'll be joining the Android ecosystem sooner than later.

jwk94

Are we going to talk about the Marshmallow feature that lets you launch apps with your voice? Let me rollover and launch IG, scrolling down the page with my voice saying like as it clicks the button.

There are so many uses for this feature and this means I'll be joining the Android ecosystem sooner than later.
Haven't you been able to launch apps with your voice since forever?

I'm on my first smartphone (moto x 2k14 at&t) so excuse my dumb question. If the phone doesn't get the latest OS, what does that mean? Wouldn't it still work fine? Like using win7 when win 10's out?

Groof

I'm on my first smartphone (moto x 2k14 at&t) so excuse my dumb question. If the phone doesn't get the latest OS, what does that mean? Wouldn't it still work fine? Like using win7 when win 10's out?

it will but you'll miss out on that sweet number increase

Use a tempered glass screen protector

Never needed a screen protector. If you use a tpu case with a lip it will never crack the screen if it falls. I also keep my phone in a pocket by itself with no keys.

If your phone falls face down onto an object like a rock, the case will protect every part of the phone except the point on the screen which impacts on the object and cracks it

Reckoner

If your phone falls face down onto an object like a rock, the case will protect every part of the phone except the point on the screen which impacts on the object and cracks it

I had one on my Nexus 6 and still it didn't feel as good as without.

I just feel like the likelihood of that happening is so slim it isn't worthwhile to have something on top of the screen all the time. 95% of times phones fall at an angle and I'm never around uneven rocks like in the mountains using my phone.

I just feel like the likelihood of that happening is so slim it isn't worthwhile to have something on top of the screen all the time. 95% of times phones fall at an angle and I'm never around uneven rocks like in the mountains using my phone.

tempered glass feels just like the glass itself unlike the shitty plastic ones that ruin the feel and actually make a good case not to have a screen protector at all.

also cases are terrible 90% of the time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
tempered glass feels just like the glass itself unlike the shitty plastic ones that ruin the feel and actually make a good case not to have a screen protector at all.

also cases are terrible 90% of the time.

When you sell, do you remove the screen protector? I have a tempered glass one on mine but will it come off cleanly?

Stop buying shitty cases then. :p

i'm not spending a good $20-50 for a case that would just add bulk and a plastic exterior to a sleek and thin all metal phone, and anything lower than $20 isn't going to be nice quality plastic. and that was before i got a custom made moto x.

Ashes

Banned
i'm not spending a good $20-50 for a case that would just add bulk and a plastic exterior to a sleek and thin all metal phone, and anything lower than $20 isn't going to be nice quality plastic. and that was before i got a custom made moto x.

Most expensive case I ever bought was the official Sony z3 compact one. It looked pretty neat.

Also z3 compact was slippery as hell due to the glass back iirc so it needed a case really.

dex3108

Android 6.0 up and running on my Nexus 5 too :D So far everything works fine and fast. I really don't see reason why Nexus 7 2013 wouldn't be capable to run 7.0.

Mindwipe

Android 6.0 up and running on my Nexus 5 too :D So far everything works fine and fast. I really don't see reason why Nexus 7 2013 wouldn't be capable to run 7.0.

Some of it will be fresh install related, but my N7 2013 is absolutely singing on Marshmallow. Significant smoothness and responsiveness improvements.

Lollipop really was a horror show.

Mindwipe

Reading comprehension?
Tapping another devices copies the other device's setup. This is not the way to do a back-up restore. There is even a "?" somewhere next to the option if you weren't sure what it meant.

Edit:

Not a question mark but there is a "learn more" link

It also clearly states it copies the other device's setup

That's not clear in any way at all. It doesn't say it copies the other device's set up, it says it copies the app backup data, which is not the same thing.

dex3108

Some of it will be fresh install related, but my N7 2013 is absolutely singing on Marshmallow. Significant smoothness and responsiveness improvements.

Lollipop really was a horror show.

I pushed OTA updates over ADB and both devices are fast and smooth.

Samsung might launch three variants of the S7 with different processors for different markets:

According to the information that we’ve received today, Samsung might launch three different processor variants of the Galaxy S7. Remember the Exynos 7422 chipset that was supposed to debut with the Galaxy Note 5? Well, Samsung supposedly has plans to launch a variant of the Galaxy S7 with that chipset in India. The Exynos 8890 (a.k.a Exynos M1)-powered variant of the device is expected to be launched in Korea, Japan, and the European markets. On the other hand, the Galaxy S7 variant that will be available to consumers in China and the US will feature a Snapdragon 820 SoC.

- sammobile

I figured they'd go back to snapdragon for NA and Exynos for europe. I don't mind. Could change by release of course.

Samsung might launch three variants of the S7 with different processors for different markets:

- sammobile

I figured they'd go back to snapdragon for NA and Exynos for europe. I don't mind. Could change by release of course.
Is there some benefit of doing such a hardware based fragmentation? Right now, it is just confusing for me.

It's not really that huge of a fragmentation. China and NA are Samsung's biggest markets. There will be far less people on the exynos chips. Luckily the 820 already looks like a beast.

There's also probably a bunch of factors that go into this. Qualcomm has likely been really aggressive in securing contracts for flagships this upcoming year so they can bounce back. I'd say they're confident in the 820. It's also easier on Samsung from a manufacturing standpoint. And who knows, it might also be because they really do plan on launching earlier than last year.

Mindwipe

Is there some benefit of doing such a hardware based fragmentation? Right now, it is just confusing for me.

Probably supply chain logistics.

But it's an unholy nightmare. I remember when the S3 came out and there were multiple variations of it that were shipping in the UK, invisible to carriers.

They handled HLS video differently. Indeed, one variation hard locked the device if you tried to play an HLS video at an acceptable bitrate, while the others were fine.

This was, to put it mildly, an unholy fucking nightmare at the time.

hitgirl

Is there no good option for completely quieting a phone while sleeping on 5.1? I set an alarm, tried to set it to silent everything except priority until the time of the alarm, but didn't see an option for that.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I just saw this on G+ (yes, I use it). I didn't realize this was a Marshmallow feature.

i3HxHwA.gif

Jigolo

I don't understand Samsung. They want to be just like Apple but want to release multiple variants of the S7 with different SoCs even tho they did Exynos only this year as Apple does every year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm just trying to figure out what Samsung gains by using Qualcomm at all?

Doesn't seem to be any upside for them over using their own in house chips. Cuts into the profit margin, and the performance difference is negligible either way for average tasks.

Plus going with their own in house chip means they could control the hardware/software track for their own devices better ala Apple.

Ashes

Banned
I'm just trying to figure out what Samsung gains by using Qualcomm at all?

Doesn't seem to be any upside for them over using their own in house chips. Cuts into the profit margin, and the performance difference is negligible either way for average tasks.

Plus going with their own in house chip means they could control the hardware/software track for their own devices better ala Apple.

Quick charge 2.0?

There's features Qualcomm has that are pretty good.

Quick charge 2.0?

There's features Qualcomm has that are pretty good.

bro...820 provides that high tech quickcharge 3.0.

Also again, it probably costs samsung quite a bit to manufacture their own chips and it's probably really tough on them logistically. If the 820 provides good gains over the 7420 (which it does) and they can cut a good deal with qualcomm, everyone wins. And I'm sure there's other behind the scenes reasons Qualcomm and Samsung strike these kinds of deals.

Samsung has plenty of other stuff to manufacture for plenty of other people.

Well, first thanks for the answers ... i still think that this SoC jumping might result in problems. ^^

bro...820 provides that high tech quickcharge 3.0.

Also again, it probably costs samsung quite a bit to manufacture their own chips and it's probably really tough on them logistically. If the 820 provides good gains over the 7420 (which it does) and they can cut a good deal with qualcomm, everyone wins. And I'm sure there's other behind the scenes reasons Qualcomm and Samsung strike these kinds of deals.

Samsung has plenty of other stuff to manufacture for plenty of other people.
After the 810, i'm pretty sure Qualcomm is going to have to accept a lot of "good" deals from the OEMs. ^^

Need some good leaks for 2016's flagships, staying strong on the skip year is hard sometimes.

RuGalz

Doze mode is legit. I'm so glad they did what I thought they could do to solve battery issue when idling. Only drained 2% of battery over 6 hours letting my phone sitting idle on Nexus 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom