• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
Android 6.0 up and running on my Nexus 7 2013 (Wi-Fi). So far so good. :D

didn't think that the 2013 Nexus 7 would be getting this based on what I read way back then. Kind of miss it just for this reason cause I'd like to try it out. On the other hand my tablet blows it out of the water on everything else and idle battery life is way better.

Jacir

So whuts the best Android podcast app? I need something reliable.

I stopped using DoubleTwist due to its annoying ads when manually selecting episodes. Now I use BeyondPod. No ads and similar features for the free version. Check it out.

I thought the patent truce would have involved at least google's apps for windows phone.

There were some rumors before that MS event that Google apps were coming as universal W10 apps for desktop, tablet, and phone but it seems it wasn't meant to be.

It would have been strange bedfellows indeed if Google and MS got in bed together because Apple was pursuing their ad blocking scorched earth policy against Google.

EmiPrime

Microsoft has viral marketers working on this forum just so you know. They've been caught multiple times in the gaming side. I don't believe anyone can be that excited for a windows phone.

The new Lumias are great and the dock thing is really innovative.

Then you remember that they are Windows phones and all the excitement goes away.

Looks like I'll be merging onto the iWay. My phone is officially busted so I grabbed an iPhone 6 off of eBay. Unfortunately the Nexus 5X just couldn't win me over this year and nothing else looks interesting enough for me to consider.

EmiPrime

Looks like I'll be merging onto the iWay. My phone is officially busted so I grabbed an iPhone 6 off of eBay. Unfortunately the Nexus 5X just couldn't win me over this year and nothing else looks interesting enough for me to consider.

1GB of RAM tho.

I'd much rather have a 5X than a vanilla iPhone 6.

snacknuts

we all knew her

That's like going into your back yard to eat your dog's poop because you're not crazy about what your wife is making for dinner.

NotBacon

1. I didn't think it was possible, but for my Nexus 6 the butter factor went up 10% with Marshmallow. Hot damn it's just so silky smooth and i'm loving some of the new animations. Battery life seems a little better so far, which is nice since I could already go a full day and then some with Lolly. Being able to control all system volumes when I press the volume key is nice too. So far this is a solid upgrade.

2. Phone restoration is really nice on Android these days. My system was 99% back to the way it was in under an hour.

So glad to be in Android-land right now.

Is it weird I've had my 6S+ sitting on my desk unopened for a week? I lost excitement about it. I want my 6P already.

Also what the fuck http://www.phonenews.com/intel-qualcomm-and-why-your-nexus-5x-6p-cant-quickcharge-with-usb-c-30860/

Also good news for 3D touch on android http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...rce-technology-for-smartphones-300154640.html

The more I read about the 6s+ the less I actually want it. A better app store isn't enough to overcome all the other shortcomings vs Android.

NotBacon

I'd much rather have a 5X than a vanilla iPhone 6.

I think people are ragging on the 5X too much (deja vu). It's literally what people wanted. An upgraded Nexus 5. I'm excited for it even though I'm not buying it. I've already recommended it to a few people too.

EmiPrime

2. Phone restoration is really nice on Android these days. My system was 99% back to the way it was in under an hour.

All the apps I had installed before flashing the final 6.0 release were restored and a Nova restore later everything was arranged as I left it but I still had to log in again or add accounts for everything which takes a long time for me and my SMS in Hangouts weren't restored.

M was definitely a smoother launch than iOS 9 at least. The developer preview of M was consistently good from day one and iOS 9 betas have had a lot of issues so not too much of a surprise.

EmiPrime

I think people are ragging on the 5X too much (deja vu). It's literally what people wanted. An upgraded Nexus 5. I'm excited for it even though I'm not buying it. I've already recommended it to a few people too.

I think the 2GB RAM (just because we were expecting 3GB) and the single speaker combined with the bad pricing outside of the US killed a lot of the enthusiasm but it's still a very good phone yeah. If I was upgrading from a Nexus 4 or my Nexus 5 was broken I think I would get it, just not at Google's RRP in £!

Microsoft has viral marketers working on this forum just so you know. They've been caught multiple times in the gaming side. I don't believe anyone can be that excited for a windows phone.

There are 2 actual MS employees on this forum. They don't try to hide it though, which is smart.

If the reviews pan out, I'm set on the Graphite 6p 128gb. May be android's last hurrah for me, I'm tired of flashing roms and shit, I just want a phone with little to no jank

Funny seeing all the "IM SOLD!!!!" posts in the MS event thread. Still see no reason why anyone should buy a Windows Phone.

that's standard for any Microsoft and Sony phone threads. if Nintendo made phones, it'd be the same thing.

and i need to get a Surface Pro 2 for cheap... these bigger surfaces are just not my style.

EmiPrime

Not really. The App store is still getting plenty of new apps before the Google Play store and they're still getting updated before Android versions *cough* Hangouts.....

But sometimes you have to buy the same app twice for your phone and tablet and you can't set your third party apps as defaults in iOS; Android apps are capable of a lot more. Some app updates come to Android first too, it works both ways. I also prefer buying and installing apps from the desktop for Android than for iOS.

hitgirl

Someone school me on whats wrong with windows phone. Last time i heard they were trying to get something going on windows 10 where apps would be able to run on windows 10 even though they were coded for android + ios. And then today I see the specs for the smaller Lumia and i think it's ok; wireless charging, turbo charge, nfc, smaller screen, decent battery, some retna eye scanning thing.

ArchAngel

Just had my first day with the final 6.0. SoT was exactly 6h on my N6 (from 5-5 1/2 on preview). At first I thought my batty would die sooner than in the preview, but in the end even if I had to install a lot of apps I got more time. Easily enough for me and I hope there will be even more on the 6P for me (if it gets released in EU sometime).

But sometimes I thought it was not 100% as fluid as the preview. Anyone got that too?

Someone school me on whats wrong with windows phone. Last time i heard they were trying to get something going on windows 10 where apps would be able to run on windows 10 even though they were coded for android + ios. And then today I see the specs for the smaller Lumia and i think it's ok; wireless charging, turbo charge, nfc, smaller screen, decent battery, some retna eye scanning thing.
The app situation has been terrible for years now. Microsoft's constantly promised solutions and nothing has changed despite their efforts. The new thing they're doing with the app porting sounds interesting, but given the fact that it was ignored at the conference and they haven't talked about it in some time makes me once again skeptical.

EmiPrime

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong: Installing Android apps requires a jailbreak and it doesn't always work. Despite being able to port Android and iOS apps to Windows Phone with not too much work developers aren't bothering.

So the app store still sucks.

Not the actual hardware; that's fine. It's the OS underneath the hood. The app support is paltry. It doesn't even have YouTube or Instagram. Come on...

hitgirl

Not the actual hardware; that's fine. It's the OS underneath the hood. The app support is paltry. It doesn't even have YouTube or Instagram. Come on...

Yea, the app support is horrible. Main reason I moved over to Android this week. Their hardware is decent and thats mostly just because of Nokia.

EmiPrime

I agree with this.

After using the 6S, the 6 is hot garbage with that 1gb of RAM. 6S or 6P in 2015.

Yeah the 6S is arguably the best phone at that size to come out this year while the vanilla 6 phones were bad when they came out and are a mess a year later. All the muppets who defended the 1GB of RAM should hang their head in shame.

Quasar

Well lack of youtube certainly isn't Microsoft's fault. Thats deliberate on googles part and why we'll never see windows 10 apps from google.

Which bums me out as I'd consider a windows phone if there were some google apps on it. Actually makes me wonder how google will handle the xbox youtube app once its windows 10.

Well lack of youtube certainly isn't Microsoft's fault. Thats deliberate on googles part and why we'll never see windows 10 apps from google.

Which bums me out as I'd consider a windows phone if there were some google apps on it. Actually makes me wonder how google will handle the xbox youtube app once its windows 10.

didn't this all start when MS decided to shake down Android device manufacturers?

j-wood

1. I didn't think it was possible, but for my Nexus 6 the butter factor went up 10% with Marshmallow. Hot damn it's just so silky smooth and i'm loving some of the new animations. Battery life seems a little better so far, which is nice since I could already go a full day and then some with Lolly. Being able to control all system volumes when I press the volume key is nice too. So far this is a solid upgrade.

So glad to be in Android-land right now.

What do you mean by this? I still have Notification, Media, and Alarm. You can control them all at once with the volume key?

6.0 has made my nexus 6 amazing. They finally fixed the jank when swiping away recent apps, battery life seems WAY better. Solid update.

Wreav

Banned
What do you mean by this? I still have Notification, Media, and Alarm. You can control them all at once with the volume key?

6.0 has made my nexus 6 amazing. They finally fixed the jank when swiping away recent apps, battery life seems WAY better. Solid update.

Did 6.0 make the 6 any smaller? No? Still janky then.

I know I'm doing something simple wrong but couldn't get my n7 to update from the factory images for some reason. Don't know why I bother and should just wait on ota

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Now everyone can see how great N6 is. Marshmallow makes it a steal at $300.

Did 6.0 make the 6 any smaller? No? Still janky then.
Sorry about your mittens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom