• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but they probably should.

6S owners with the TSCM SoC are feeling pretty good now though!

I went to the thread, people with the samsung SoC were complaining about performance & battery life issues that sure sucks for them. Look for TSCM SoC equipped phones having a better market value in the future.

I'm sure the issue will get equal coverage to all other apple related news though!!

Reckoner

1. I didn't think it was possible, but for my Nexus 6 the butter factor went up 10% with Marshmallow. Hot damn it's just so silky smooth and i'm loving some of the new animations. Battery life seems a little better so far, which is nice since I could already go a full day and then some with Lolly. Being able to control all system volumes when I press the volume key is nice too. So far this is a solid upgrade.

2. Phone restoration is really nice on Android these days. My system was 99% back to the way it was in under an hour.

So glad to be in Android-land right now.

It's interesting how people with custom Lollipop roms already had most of the cool features of 6.0.

I think people are ragging on the 5X too much (deja vu). It's literally what people wanted. An upgraded Nexus 5. I'm excited for it even though I'm not buying it. I've already recommended it to a few people too.

The thing that companies in general should have figured already is that what people ask is not what they really want. They want to have that unexpected feature that they thought they didn't need, and if they don't get that, they become disappointed 'cause all they got was just what they wanted/predicted.

ajpw

I went to the thread, people with the samsung SoC were complaining about performance & battery life issues that sure sucks for them. Look for TSCM SoC equipped phones having a better market value in the future.

I'm sure the issue will get equal coverage to all other apple related news though!!

what thread

kharma45

Not the actual hardware; that's fine. It's the OS underneath the hood. The app support is paltry. It doesn't even have YouTube or Instagram. Come on...

Instagram is there, the app is just barebones. There is a proper universal app coming for it soon though, and Facebook are also making the FB app this time around rather than Microsoft.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong: Installing Android apps requires a jailbreak and it doesn't always work. Despite being able to port Android and iOS apps to Windows Phone with not too much work developers aren't bothering.

So the app store still sucks.

Android apps that require Play services can be very hit and miss. It's not a jailbreak that's needed, just enabling developer mode in the Insider Preview. Then you can side load the APK.

Developers haven't bothered yet because as far as I know neither the iOS nor android tools are finished yet. Likely won't see it until November when the OS is likely to roll out.

Apharmd

hitgirl

anyone use lass pass on android? everytime i click a url link it prompts me to open with google or lasspass, pretty annoying. any way to disable that?

NotBacon

It's interesting how people with custom Lollipop roms already had most of the cool features of 6.0.

Eh, I just don't like to deal with that stuff these days. It's cool that it's an option for those who like it, but I just run stock these days because when I'm tinkering with computers/code all day it's nice to have a phone that Just Works™.

What do you mean by this? I still have Notification, Media, and Alarm. You can control them all at once with the volume key?

Before you were only able control all of those when media was currently playing, it had the little arrow. Now you can control all of them whenever you want.

I know I'm doing something simple wrong but couldn't get my n7 to update from the factory images for some reason. Don't know why I bother and should just wait on ota

First make sure everything is synced/backed up somewhere as this will do a complete wipe, then unzip everything in the factory image download and:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock (if you're not unlocked yet)
fastboot reboot-bootloader (if you used fastboot oem unlock)
fastboot flash bootloader C:\path\to\bootloader\bootloader-blah-blah.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio C:\path\to\radio\radio-blah-blah.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash system C:\path\to\system.img
fastboot format userdata
fastboot flash userdata C:\path\to\userdata.img
fastboot flash boot C:\path\to\boot.img
fastboot flash recovery C:\path\to\recovery.img
fastboot format cache
fastboot flash cache C:\path\to\cache.img
fastboot reboot

Change the paths for your OS if needed.

Guys, what's the best way to scan an Android phone for Malware?

I've gotten quite a few pop-ups from a malicious site, pertaining to being an iPhone 6 or 7 tester.

I've noticed that most, if not all of this is due to MeetMe. Every time I used the app today, it would send me to that site with the pop-up. I didn't click anything, and have used Malware Bytes to scan regularly, with no indications of malware.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
anyone use lass pass on android? everytime i click a url link it prompts me to open with google or lasspass, pretty annoying. any way to disable that?
Just pick Always when the pop up comes up.

SimleuqiR

I took off my phone off the "wireless charger" at around 9 AM this morning.
This was the state of the battery at 6 PM:

D6ZBkys.png

Standby seems to have improved greatly.
You still see some wake locks there though.

I'm gonna assume Doze is even better on the 6P with the extra low powered sensor.

I took off my phone off the "wireless charger" at around 9 AM this morning.
This was the state of the battery at 6 PM:

Standby seems to have improved greatly.
You still see some wake locks there though.

I'm gonna assume Doze is even better on the 6P with the extra low powered sensor.
Good stuff. You're signal reception was sketchy but that's pretty good. Hopefully the 6P is great. Thanks for your results.

Furyous

Received an OP2 but it's for my eighth email address not the one I used. One Plus screwed me!!!!

BRB as I figure out how to flip this invite... for charity.

Mindwipe

Flashed my Nexus 7.

The Android restore situation is such a joke.

"Touch one of your other devices to begin setup"

I touch my Z3C. It starts installing all the apps that were on the Z3C, rather than the ones for my tablet. Several of which don't even work on a non-Xperia device.

FFS Google. Is it really that hard to have an automated drive backup that stores a) the SMS database and b) the exact applications installed, launcher positions and the wallpaper I use?

Is it really???

Do we have a thread on phone accessories? If so, forgive me for my post and maybe someone can point me to it.

Otherwise, I'm interested in getting a bluetooth connector for my car audio/aux connection. Something small and low profile and that will auto connect to my phone. Was wondering what would be some good suggestions for that. Thanks!

EmiPrime

Flashed my Nexus 7.

I touch my Z3C. It starts installing all the apps that were on the Z3C, rather than the ones for my tablet. Several of which don't even work on a non-Xperia device.

FFS Google. Is it really that hard to have an automated drive backup that stores a) the SMS database and b) the exact applications installed, launcher positions and the wallpaper I use?

Is it really???

You should have skipped that part and it would have used a backup that your Nexus 7 uploaded instead.

SimleuqiR

Flashed my Nexus 7.

Is it really???

Reading comprehension?
Tapping another devices copies the other device's setup. This is not the way to do a back-up restore. There is even a "?" somewhere next to the option if you weren't sure what it meant.

Edit:

Not a question mark but there is a "learn more" link

It also clearly states it copies the other device's setup

Ashes

Banned
Why do these companies think they're going to retain customers in two and three years time if their devices aren't supported long term?

I think two years is not good enough personally.

Anyone else getting malicious ads/code on thier nexus 5 on gaf? Page loads straight into the play store for "words with friends" exit out of it back to my browser (Opera) and the only ads are g2a ads

Anyone else getting malicious ads/code on thier nexus 5 on gaf? Page loads straight into the play store for "words with friends" exit out of it back to my browser (Opera) and the only ads are g2a ads
Yeah I keep getting redirected to either the Google Play store or some weirdly named site that I immediately back the shit out of before it loads.

Eh, I just don't like to deal with that stuff these days. It's cool that it's an option for those who like it, but I just run stock these days because when I'm tinkering with computers/code all day it's nice to have a phone that Just Works™.

Before you were only able control all of those when media was currently playing, it had the little arrow. Now you can control all of them whenever you want.

First make sure everything is synced/backed up somewhere as this will do a complete wipe, then unzip everything in the factory image download and:

Change the paths for your OS if needed.
Unzip even the zip that appears after the tgz file?

Sch1sm

Yep yep. Been having those g2a ads for a while, too. Which is hilarious since they aren't a trusted key seller.

The Verge made their 6.0 video with a 5x
You mean that Now on Tap video? The camera icon has a dogfooding badge on it, so they're probably on Google's campus or it was filmed at the event last week. Not to say devices haven't been sent to reviewers yet, but I don't think that video suggests this being the case.

Reckoner

You mean that Now on Tap video? The camera icon has a dogfooding badge on it, so they're probably on Google's campus or it was filmed at the event last week. Not to say devices haven't been sent to reviewers yet, but I don't think that video suggests this being the case.

You're probably right.

It was inside a case, so I thought that maybe the reviewer was using as daily driver or something like that.

Btw, out of curiosity, how many of you guys use screen protectors? I've been using on all my precious phones but I think I won't bother next time. Touching the glass feels so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom