• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

roytheone

Hey everyone,

My oneplus 2 will be arriving soon, and I will be upgrading from an galaxy s3. So my screen size will jump from 4,8 inch to 5,5 inch. I am a little scared though that the extra size would be uncomfortable to use. So are there any other people here that jumped to a bigger phone and how was it? Did you get used to it quickly?

hitgirl

Re-bought a 5X. Not really feeling this Moto X, it's mostly because it's a Verizon phone. Since I'm locked into Verizon through work I'm just going to pay the premium and buy a new phone like the Nexus 5X to get freedom from their bloat apps. Damn $470 phone, ridiculous.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
bro...820 provides that high tech quickcharge 3.0.

Also again, it probably costs samsung quite a bit to manufacture their own chips and it's probably really tough on them logistically. If the 820 provides good gains over the 7420 (which it does) and they can cut a good deal with qualcomm, everyone wins. And I'm sure there's other behind the scenes reasons Qualcomm and Samsung strike these kinds of deals.

Samsung has plenty of other stuff to manufacture for plenty of other people.

Why would it? Samsung is a one of the three leaders in the chip manufacturing business world wide. They help make the chips for arguably the biggest 4 phones in the world ie the 6S, 6S+, GS6, and Note 5 (yes I know they split the iPhone contract).

I mean Qualcomm doesn't even manufacture their own shit. They usually get GF, TSMC, or Samsung to do it.

Not to mention you can't compare the unreleased 820 to the year old 7420. I'd hope the 820 would be faster. The deal would be Samsung would have the 7422 ready to go.

The only issue I'd see is Samsung could have supply problems, but that would be supply problems FROM THEMSELVES. Which companies would love to say their chip business is literally overflowing.

RJM77

Anyone know of an app or something that will allow you to skip music tracks with the volume buttons on stock Android?

Coming from 5.1? Make sure to start fresh and wipe everything including the data partition.

Yeah. I wanted to give M and the N6 a legit chance, so I wiped everything and flashed fresh.

So your verdict mate?

It's only been 24 hours, but it definitely runs better. There's some chugging when going between several apps, but I've not had it completely pause for 5+ seconds yet, which was VERY common on Lollipop. I just think the 805 wasn't meant for QHD; it's akin to the first generation retina iPads. The GPU just isn't up to snuff.

Camera is still subpar. I primarily use Manual Camera as my main app, and that works a bit better. However, it still hitches and chugs when launching. I've missed countless picture ops due to the horrendous focus/load time for the N6 camera.

I bet that it's still hot trash.

Hot trash with On Tap that's too slow to be efficient in any way. And, you know, decides to work on its own time.

I just find the doze option a bit irritating in some cases.

Now on Tap is really puzzling to me. It just seems to text mine keywords and give generic search results/actions. I expected it to be much, much smarter than this.

HawkeyeIC

Doze is for real on my Nexus 7. Only dropped 2% in 10 hours of idle. Would have been 10+ previously. I'll probably actually use the tablet more now. It used to be dead everytime I'd try to pick it up for something from idle battery drain.

I'm just trying to figure out what Samsung gains by using Qualcomm at all?

Doesn't seem to be any upside for them over using their own in house chips. Cuts into the profit margin, and the performance difference is negligible either way for average tasks.

Plus going with their own in house chip means they could control the hardware/software track for their own devices better ala Apple.

Modem, and Qualcomm also has better secondary features (ISP, GPU, etc).

Not to mention you still have to pay royalties to Qualcomm even without using their SoCs or modems.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah. I wanted to give M and the N6 a legit chance, so I wiped everything and flashed fresh.

It's only been 24 hours, but it definitely runs better. There's some chugging when going between several apps, but I've not had it completely pause for 5+ seconds yet, which was VERY common on Lollipop. I just think the 805 wasn't meant for QHD; it's akin to the first generation retina iPads. The GPU just isn't up to snuff.

Camera is still subpar. I primarily use Manual Camera as my main app, and that works a bit better. However, it still hitches and chugs when launching. I've missed countless picture ops due to the horrendous focus/load time for the N6 camera.

Now on Tap is really puzzling to me. It just seems to text mine keywords and give generic search results/actions. I expected it to be much, much smarter than this.

Not for nothing but even with the improved impressions, it sounds like your N6 is fucked. I mean 5+ second pauses? I know myself, L was an L, but never THAT bad; not 5 second pauses bad.

The 805 handles QHD damn near flawlessly. GPU surprisingly even handles 3D VR at a decent clip considering (usually 30-40fps in most games).

I dunno homey, it sounds like hardware on your phone is suspect.

reKon

Banned

Jesus Christ, just buy a fucking Xperia phone already lol... (and I only say this because I hear enough bitching about TouchWiz on the S6 and stuttering performance).

I've NEVER seen an issue like this on Lollipop. Maybe because Sony sticks with the 1080P panel? I just don't get it..

Hey everyone,

My oneplus 2 will be arriving soon, and I will be upgrading from an galaxy s3. So my screen size will jump from 4,8 inch to 5,5 inch. I am a little scared though that the extra size would be uncomfortable to use. So are there any other people here that jumped to a bigger phone and how was it? Did you get used to it quickly?
Probably most people sometime through android/iphone history.

I didnt jump so high but went from 4.7 to 5.2 and since its an Z3, the bezels are huge so I have almost a lg g3 in my hand.

I appreciate the bigger screen. I will go 5.5 next time. And yes I got used to it fast.

Not for nothing but even with the improved impressions, it sounds like your N6 is fucked. I mean 5+ second pauses? I know myself, L was an L, but never THAT bad; not 5 second pauses bad.

The 805 handles QHD damn near flawlessly. GPU surprisingly even handles 3D VR at a decent clip considering (usually 30-40fps in most games).

I dunno homey, it sounds like hardware on your phone is suspect.

Yeah, this "your hardware is borked" stuff is just silly. I'm more inclined to believe that I have a random app causing hang ups. Like I said, it hasn't happened to that extent on Marshmellow yet, but it was a fresh install.

The N6 defense force is so oogey.

Your phone is jank. It's ok. Just admit it.

Yeah, they are pretty dedicated to the cause. I admire that.

Jesus Christ, just buy a fucking Xperia phone already lol... (and I only say this because I hear enough bitching about TouchWiz on the S6 and stuttering performance).

I've NEVER seen an issue like this on Lollipop. Maybe because Sony sticks with the 1080P panel? I just don't get it..

Eww.

Why would it? Samsung is a one of the three leaders in the chip manufacturing business world wide. They help make the chips for arguably the biggest 4 phones in the world ie the 6S, 6S+, GS6, and Note 5 (yes I know they split the iPhone contract).

I mean Qualcomm doesn't even manufacture their own shit. They usually get GF, TSMC, or Samsung to do it.

Not to mention you can't compare the unreleased 820 to the year old 7420. I'd hope the 820 would be faster. The deal would be Samsung would have the 7422 ready to go.

The only issue I'd see is Samsung could have supply problems, but that would be supply problems FROM THEMSELVES. Which companies would love to say their chip business is literally overflowing.
TBH I'd take the features and performance bonus (as well as potentially faster OS updates) of the 820 over the next exynos even if the next exynos has higher benchmark scores. 820 will be a big boost over the 7420 and the 7420 is already a beast. We're reaching the point where the differences in real world use is negligible.

I look forward to quickcharge 3.0 (with variable voltage), built in anti-malware, improved power efficiency, whatever else. The 530 GPU on the 820 should be monster as well.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Phone's in Shenzhen :D Whatever peoples issues might be with Motorola, their post-payment service is great. Constant news about what happens with my stupid phone is great, I feel so premium!

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, this "your hardware is borked" stuff is just silly. I'm more inclined to believe that I have a random app causing hang ups. Like I said, it hasn't happened to that extent on Marshmellow yet, but it was a fresh install.

Yeah, they are pretty dedicated to the cause. I admire that.

Eww.

Ah, so not the N6. Got it.

Cause redeemed.

This shit is a self fulfilling prophecy because who is going to actually buy a new Sony smartphone knowing they could wrap that shit up any time:

We will continue with the business as long as we are on track with the scenario of breaking even next year onwards … Otherwise, we haven’t eliminated the consideration of alternative options.”
- Sony Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai

I'm officially placing Sony and HTC smartphones as Do Not Buy status for you guys for 2016. That is if you value support.

g0tm1lk

This shit is a self fulfilling prophecy because who is going to actually buy a new Sony smartphone knowing they could wrap that shit up any time:

I'm officially placing Sony and HTC smartphones as Do Not Buy status for you guys for 2016. That is if you value support.

James Bond will save the brand.

Loving the nexus 6 so far.

Are screen protectors still a thing? The last I used them was invisible shield and I hated how they made the screen feel and look.

Are there better options now?

Rengoku

Doze mode is legit. I'm so glad they did what I thought they could do to solve battery issue when idling. Only drained 2% of battery over 6 hours letting my phone sitting idle on Nexus 5.

Agreed, doze is amazing, my Nexus 5 dropped only 2% overnight on idle.

Agreed, doze is amazing, my Nexus 5 dropped only 2% overnight on idle.
Awesome to know it actually works.

I can't wait to (never) get Marshmallow sometime next year. And if by some miracle I do get it, Android Nutella will probably be out by then.

So is the new marshmallow screen notifications like Glance (windows 10 lumia) because i instantly miss that.
That notification feature was actually in Lollipop, I believe. The notifications shouldn't go away unless you actually swipe them away.

Edit: Or are you talking about Peek (where the notifications slides down from the top)? If so, if you swipe the card upwards instead of left or right, the notification will still be there.

Hasney

Not really. The N6 has been the worst Android phone I've used, performance-wise, and I owned a Galaxy Nexus!

It really does seem like it was you though. I came off an S4 and the smoothness was hugely noticeable, bar the 5,0 memory leaks. But even then, after a reboot, it was buttery smooth for at least a few days.

EDIT: Other than the lockups when restoring the backup after flashing the full version of M mind you. Think that's not phone specific though.

It really does seem like it was you though. I came off an S4 and the smoothness was hugely noticeable, bar the 5,0 memory leaks. But even then, after a reboot, it was buttery smooth for at least a few days.

Yeah, it was me. My hands aren't hardware compatible with the Nexus 6. That must be it!

Sony is allergic to money if it's not PlayStation. Too bad because Sony Mobile could have been a contender.

Hasney

Yeah, it was me. My hands aren't hardware compatible with the Nexus 6. That must be it!

Or something wonky inside/wonky app. I mean, I'm searching for that ype of issue now and finding it hard to find anything about it.
But maybe Google is hiding them, the sneaky bastards!

Is there some benefit of doing such a hardware based fragmentation? Right now, it is just confusing for me.

The primary reason Samsung uses different SoCs in different markets is because of the different wireless frequencies used in different markets. In the US they use the Snapdragon simply because Qualcomm owns all the patents for the CDMA networks that Verizon and Sprint use and Samsung probably gets preferred pricing on buying the whole SoC instead of just a modem.

Hasney

The primary reason Samsung uses different SoCs in different markets is because of the different wireless frequencies used in different markets. In the US they use the Snapdragon simply because Qualcomm owns all the patents for the CDMA networks that Verizon and Sprint use and Samsung probably gets preferred pricing on buying the whole SoC instead of just a modem.

Yeah, using the Exynos everywhere this year probably helped bump the price up since Qualcomm still get to wet their beak on the patents.

kinggroin

Banned
Not really. The N6 has been the worst Android phone I've used, performance-wise, and I owned a Galaxy Nexus!

Nah man. You can't make a case against the defense force when you say it's the worst performing phone in the face of the galaxy nexus. I say this as a known galaxy nexus Stan.

Something is fucked, and its not the N6 defense force this time.

I refuse to believe the N6 is in any way worse than the pile of shit that was the Galaxy Nexus.

-A somewhat bitter former Galaxy Nexus owner

The Nexus 6 was the first phone that gave me a legitimately bad experience with Android.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt and say it mostly Lollipop's fault, though.

Marshmallow is much better thus far, and the battery life is back to day 1 levels, which is good.

I still could not, in good conscious, recommend the N6 to anyone. Not yet anyway. If you gave it a hard pass last year, you did the right thing!

Husker86

Of all the knocks against the Nexus 6, I've never heard raw performance be one of them. My girlfriend's is very fast; main complaint she has is camera focusing when trying to deposit checks through bank app.

Your phone is definitely an edge case.

Hasney

Of all the knocks against the Nexus 6, I've never heard raw performance be one of them. My girlfriend's is very fast; main complaint she has is camera focusing when trying to deposit checks through bank app.

Your phone is definitely an edge case.

Yeah, I'd be willing to recommend the Nexus 6 to anyone... Unless they actually wanted to use the camera. I barely ever use it, but when I do, the constant autofocus is hilariously bad.

Just fired it up for the first time in M and the camera app is still bad. Never knew if it was software or hardware issues with it, so it may still be a complaint on the new Nexuses.

reKon

Banned
The Nexus 6 was the first phone that gave me a legitimately bad experience with Android.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt and say it mostly Lollipop's fault, though.

Marshmallow is much better thus far, and the battery life is back to day 1 levels, which is good.

I still could not, in good conscious, recommend the N6 to anyone. Not yet anyway. If you gave it a hard pass last year, you did the right thing!

There was definitely something wrong with yours.

Wreav

Banned
Yeah, I'd be willing to recommend the Nexus 6 to anyone... Unless they actually wanted to use the camera. I barely ever use it, but when I do, the constant autofocus is hilariously bad.

Just fired it up for the first time in M and the camera app is still bad. Never knew if it was software or hardware issues with it, so it may still be a complaint on the new Nexuses.

There are a variety of issues with the N6 camera, but the main one is software.

Even with better software, however, it can't hang with the Apples and Samsungs of the world.

Even with better software, however, it can't hang with the Apples and Samsungs of the world.

Yeah. I use manual camera, and it's much better than stock. But, there are a ton of hardware bottlenecks that no amount of software tweaks can overcome.

In any case, I'm just conveying my (miserable) experience with this phone. If you had a positive one, I'm happy for you.

Hasney

Yeah, the pictures are more than acceptable... If you're willing to not have anything in frame move even slightly to make the bastsrd focus again. Even if it wasn't screwing with actually taking the shots, the Google camera is so shittily thought out anyway, I still don't understand why there's several settings menus.

kinggroin

Banned

With better software? In 2014? Sure it can, don't be stupid. Final still shot results traded bows with both the n4 and 6+ when using HDR+

The camera experience as it is though, fucking dreadful. Software is THE biggest issue here, not the sensor.

Ffs, a focus lock would go fucking miles in improving the experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom