• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of pink iPhones, do people actually see this ad think it looks good?

iphone-6-rose-gold-006.jpg

I do

Broank

Man the pink is absolutely hideous, especially with the white bands *bleeeh*. Gold is alright, was super jealous seeing my friends gold macbook. They really need a darker option though. I came so close to getting a Space Grey 6S+ it's just too bad it isn't darker like it was on the Ipad and Ipod and didn't have the ugly bands. I probably would have been willing to wait the couple weeks and pay the 900 bucks for one.
Really glad I got a Nexus 6 though. Thing is a baller.

NotBacon

There's some chugging when going between several apps, but I've not had it completely pause for 5+ seconds yet, which was VERY common on Lollipop.
Sure. Still getting plenty of hitches on Marshmallow, though.
The N6 has been the worst Android phone I've used, performance-wise, and I owned a Galaxy Nexus!
The Nexus 6 was the first phone that gave me a legitimately bad experience with Android.

Dude, you have a dud.

Do you hate yourself, or know someone who does? N6 is back at $299 on ebay.

Translation: "My hands are tiny! The Nexus 6 is still one of the best phones you can buy, and definitely the best value right now......... BUT MY HANDS ARE TINY."

Talon

Every time I go to order a 6P, I look at it and then decide not to because it looks stupid.

Thanks for nothing, Huawei.

Fatalah

I wish Motorola had a few more years under Google. Would have been great to see a few more Moto's developed by the original team.

Noema

Hey everyone,

My oneplus 2 will be arriving soon, and I will be upgrading from an galaxy s3. So my screen size will jump from 4,8 inch to 5,5 inch. I am a little scared though that the extra size would be uncomfortable to use. So are there any other people here that jumped to a bigger phone and how was it? Did you get used to it quickly?

I went from a 3.5" iPhone 4 to a 4.5" Moto G. After 5 minutes of using the Moto G, the iPhone seemed downright microscopic.

For a more extreme anecdote, a friend recently went from a 3.5" iPhone 3Gs to a 5.5" LG G3. Within a day he had adapted to the larger screen and wondered how he was able to tolerate the tiny screen of his old iPhone for so long. Heck, after using his G3 for a bit (I helped him set it up and show him the basics of Android) my Moto G seemed tiny and cramped.

I wish Motorola had a few more years under Google. Would have been great to see a few more Moto's developed by the original team.

I agree. I really like the look of the OG Moto X. Whenever I see one in the wild I think to myself, "that's one underrated little phone right there." If it weren't for the shitty camera and the fact that it probably won't get any more updates it'd still be viable today.

samsung hardware (I guess it's camera software in this case) is beast still...

Also I thought Z5 had the best smartphone camera EVER. Dxomark lol.

DxoMark is trusted because they review actual cameras and should know what a good camera is, but anybody who actually looked at their rankings would've noticed how poor they are at actually rating mobile cameras--for example, the Lumias that had actual optical zoom and giant sensors are near the bottom below all the other Xperias and even the S4, which is nonsensical.

Ashes

Banned
DxoMark is trusted because they review actual cameras and should know what a good camera is, but anybody who actually looked at their rankings would've noticed how poor they are at actually rating mobile cameras--for example, the Lumias that had actual optical zoom and giant sensors are near the bottom below all the other Xperias and even the S4, which is nonsensical.

Don't professional photographers feel the same though? That Lumia sensors are not as good as Sony ones.

Don't professional photographers feel the same though? That Lumia sensors are not as good as Sony ones.

the sensors may not be as good but the sony software processing is far worse than the lumias. sony probably has some of the worst processing in the industry--they have the best sensors as they are the ones who make sensors for everybody and they get the pick of the litter before anyone else, but they still manage to fuck it up.

linkboy

I went from a 3.5" iPhone 4 to a 4.5" Moto G. After 5 minutes of using the Moto G, the iPhone seemed downright microscopic.

For a more extreme anecdote, a friend recently went from a 3.5" iPhone 3Gs to a 5.5" LG G3. Within a day he had adapted to the larger screen and wondered how he was able to tolerate the tiny screen of his old iPhone for so long. Heck, after using his G3 for a bit (I helped him set it up and show him the basics of Android) my Moto G seemed tiny and cramped.

I just upgraded to a nexus 6 from a 5 and after using the 6 and then seeing up my 5 for my brother, the smaller size was driving me nuts.

Held a iPhone 4s today and it blew my mind how small it was.

Groof

Dxomark work more with testing sensors and lenses on a hardware level and when it comes to actual cameras they're very trustworthy. But as you say, it seems like they haven't really figured out how to test out mobile cameras properly.

Again though as I've said before with the Sony mobile cameras, it feels like the problem lies more in the software side than the hardware. They just haven't figured out how to use their own sensors on mobile.

Ty4on

There are Lumias that use Sony sensors. Unsure of the 1020 though. I think the sensor manufacturers get too much attention though and the image processing pipeline will vary much more than Sony or Toshiba sensors.

DXO mobile focused heavily on post processing where the Lumias often fell short. In pure mtf the 1020 still smashes any handset apart from some softness in the corners.

DXO for proper cameras tests sensors and lenses separately and sensors are tested for signal to noise, dynamic range and color depth over the ISO range. Very different compared to their mobile reviews with hard numbers.

There are Lumias that use Sony sensors. Unsure of the 1020 though. I think the sensor manufacturers get too much attention though and the image processing pipeline will vary much more than Sony or Toshiba sensors.

DXO mobile focused heavily on post processing where the Lumias often fell short. In pure mtf the 1020 still smashes any handset apart from some softness in the corners.

DXO for proper cameras tests sensors and lenses separately and sensors are tested for signal to noise, dynamic range and color depth over the ISO range. Very different compared to their mobile reviews with hard numbers.

Testing actual DSLR cameras is way different than testing phone cameras.

Phone cameras do require a lot more post-processing than DSLR cameras. The laws of physics are absolute when it comes to photography, have you seen how big the lenses, associated optics, and sensors are on real cameras? The more actual light you can capture, the better raw quality will be. The physical light collecting aspect of photography isn't rocket science, it's been understood for many decades.

Apple and Samsung have poured enormous amounts of sheer effort into their camera software and post-processing, because it matters with phone cameras. The result is Apple and Samsung are using the same Sony sensors that Sony are, but Sony's pedigree is in real cameras and they don't really have the knowledge or the resources allocated that Apple and Samsung do to maximize the post-processing output from the same sensors.

I mean this is Sony we're talking about, you probably have watched many movies shot on Sony movie cameras, edited on Sony professional equipment, and displayed on Sony digital projectors in movie theaters. Their reputation in hardware is exemplary. But we all know Sony is a hardware company, not a software company and it's been that way for decades. The result is that the Xperia devices underperform using the same sensors as the Apple and Samsung devices.

tzare

i saw a z5 compact review yesterday, camera is fast to focus,as promised, but taking the photo is still slow as hell. So even if they have improved , there are not there yet.
One thing i find important in a smartphone camera is speed in taking the photo, since it is the natural substitute of a point and shoot most of the time.

Ashes

Banned
does Nexus 5x/6p have region lock?
can I import it from the US to Germany?

Not as such. You will miss out on some lte bands/tiers that will probably be included in the international version.

I did the math at launch, and for UK, after you add import taxes etc, it didn't work out all that great.

Loci

Not as such. You will miss out on some lte bands/tiers that will probably be included in the international version.

I did the math at launch, and for UK, after you add import taxes etc, it didn't work out all that great.

How can there be such a huge gap anyway, it's ridiculous.

USA: 379 US-Dollar
Germany: 479 Euro (=541 Dollar)

Afaik, that's correct, the missing bands are pretty much those used by european providers, so while importing would be a rather cheap solution (or getting one during a USA travel) but seriously gimp the device here.

Would be interesting to know if Google did this on purpose, to prevent importing US units to europe. Did the 2014 N6 came in 2 versions with different bands, or is that a first for them this year?

Ashes

Banned
How can there be such a huge gap anyway, it's ridiculous.

USA: 379 US-Dollar
Germany: 479 Euro (=541 Dollar)

I dunno can't be bothered to do the exact math now. It was something like £25 for shipping, £250 for the handset [never mind what my bank will charge to pay a us account/supplier in currency exchange fees], plus custom tax, about £25, and VAT... so about £320 to 330 on the low end..

And it costs that much from this country.

edit: You're better off buying it here if the phone needs to be replaced or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I own a rose gold iPhone 6S+ in 64GB. It's on my desk unopened.

I should be more excited but I've been busy. I flashed Marshmallow on my Nexus 6 last night, though. A totally clean flash. Some apps like Instagram were invisibly backed up. That was amazing.

Ty4on

I mean this is Sony we're talking about, you probably have watched many movies shot on Sony movie cameras, edited on Sony professional equipment, and displayed on Sony digital projectors in movie theaters. Their reputation in hardware is exemplary. But we all know Sony is a hardware company, not a software company and it's been that way for decades. The result is that the Xperia devices underperform using the same sensors as the Apple and Samsung devices.

Neither Red nor Blackmagic use Sony sensors. The Martian is one of many films using Red cameras. While we can all laugh at Canon's overpriced gear I think they're still pretty big in many sectors of professional video. I still see plenty of journalists filming with Canon cameras.
Testing actual DSLR cameras is way different than testing phone cameras.

Phone cameras do require a lot more post-processing than DSLR cameras. The laws of physics are absolute when it comes to photography, have you seen how big the lenses, associated optics, and sensors are on real cameras? The more actual light you can capture, the better raw quality will be. The physical light collecting aspect of photography isn't rocket science, it's been understood for many decades.
That would make the raw files useless.
Nexus 6 low light output:
Nexus 6 RAW low light edited by me:

Would have been easier with some masks because the blue channel in the blue lights was heavily blown as was the red channel around those lights inside the building (hence the orange halo). I still got a lot more detail out of it by using less noise reduction and bumping the shadows. Tone mapping is too high for my liking, but I don't have time to keep editing it :p

linkboy

Afaik, that's correct, the missing bands are pretty much those used by european providers, so while importing would be a rather cheap solution (or getting one during a USA travel) but seriously gimp the device here.

Would be interesting to know if Google did this on purpose, to prevent importing US units to europe. Did the 2014 N6 came in 2 versions with different bands, or is that a first for them this year?

Both the 5 and 6 have two models, a U.S. And international model. I'm in Korea and my nexus 5 was an international model, got LTE here in Korea, yet no LTE stateside.

Reckoner

Man the pink is absolutely hideous, especially with the white bands *bleeeh*. Gold is alright, was super jealous seeing my friends gold macbook. They really need a darker option though. I came so close to getting a Space Grey 6S+ it's just too bad it isn't darker like it was on the Ipad and Ipod and didn't have the ugly bands. I probably would have been willing to wait the couple weeks and pay the 900 bucks for one.
Really glad I got a Nexus 6 though. Thing is a baller.

They are supposedly going to fix the antenna line thing on the 7, considering a patent they filed months ago.

i was like "Sony... best Android OEM? that's some GAF shit right there."

Don't be jelly :p I know you guys on the US can't buy one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the possibility to trade my Z3 in for a 64GB iPhone 6 (plus a little money from me). Someone tell me that would be stupid and I should go for the 6S or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom