• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

I have the possibility to trade my Z3 in for a 64GB iPhone 6 (plus a little money from me). Someone tell me that would be stupid and I should go for the 6S or nothing.

I wouldn't spend so much money on the 6s after this chipgate bs. But thing is that the 6 is not so hot with only 1gb. I don't know. I'm actually considering buying a 6 as it is cheaper and then maybe a 7 or 7s once they come out hopefully without chip lotto.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wouldn't spend so much money on the 6s after this chipgate bs. But thing is that the 6 is not so hot with only 1gb. I don't know. I'm actually considering buying a 6 as it is cheaper and then maybe a 7 or 7s once they come out hopefully without chip lotto.

Well it'd be maybe £100 on top of my z3 for a 64gb 6, which would let me use an iPhone for a while to see how I get on with it. 1gb ram would be annoying (love the better behacing Safari mainly on my iPad Air 2) and resale value would be a little less but could hand it down to the wife or kids.

Alternative would probably be more like £350 to get a 6S 64GB but then it's newer, better resale, faster, 2GB

Reckoner

Well it'd be maybe £100 on top of my z3 for a 64gb 6, which would let me use an iPhone for a while to see how I get on with it. 1gb ram would be annoying (love the better behacing Safari mainly on my iPad Air 2) and resale value would be a little less but could hand it down to the wife or kids.

Alternative would probably be more like £350 to get a 6S 64GB but then it's newer, better resale, faster, 2GB

How is having a Samsung chip going to affect resale value, tho? The thing is that I don't like the 6 line design that much, so I would buy the 7 anyway once it comes out and if I actually like it.

I was considering the 6s myself, but just the thought of paying the same as other people and having the possibility of having a noticeably worse product is bs. As a one year phone, the 6 should be nice and at a lower price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why does every iPhone launch have a gate scandal haha

Mindwipe

On the topic of pink iPhones, do people actually see this ad think it looks good?

iphone-6-rose-gold-006.jpg

With the big white stripes I honestly think it's the second ugliest iPhone Apple has ever made (the 3G was the worst).

The problem is the metallic desaturation of the pink really doesn't suit a warm colour.

Mindwipe

One of the things still letting Sony's cameras down isn't just the post processing - it's that the metering *sucks*. The fast focus mitigates that a little, but several of the shots in that video are massively overexposed and at the wrong ISO because it can't deal with a dark environment that has a window.

Sigh.

This

And it's actually a pretty big deal this time.
I don't think it is. At least I don't think it will impact apple in the least bit because most of apple's consumers aren't this much in the know. Like 9to5 says:

After watching both videos, and seeing the tests used, I think it’s safe to say that — for the average consumer — it won’t matter too much which model you end up with. After all, you can’t know which chip is inside your iPhone until after you’ve bought it, and the typical real-world tests showed minimal difference. However, if you’re someone who likes to push your iPhone to the limits; recording 4K video or playing graphically intense games, you may want to hope you get the TSMC version, because when the chips are pushed hard, the Samsung one doesn’t cope as well.

Reckoner

I don't think it is. At least I don't think it will impact apple in the least bit because most of apple's consumers aren't this much in the know. Like 9to5 says:

Yeah, for most of consumers it won't be a big deal, like the other issues weren't. But for the informed ones, I think it is. I wouldn't be ok with spending so much money on a device knowing that other people paying the same were getting a noticeable better one. And it actually affects battery life, arguably the worst thing on the iPhones.

Scuffgate was meh. Something that shouldn't have happened, but never bothered me when I had my iPhone 5. This time it is completely unacceptable.

Btw what are the odds on Sony turning a profit next year? Would not releasing in the US to bomb actually be a good thing for them?

Nicktendo86

This

And it's actually a pretty big deal this time.

lol, Samsung'd.

Well, after (almost) a week with my Moto X Style I think it's time for some detailed impressions! I know there are a tonne of reviews and stuff but what the hell, let's go anyway.

Hardware/Design

I was slightly worried about the size of the phone before getting it and, sure enough, it did look big when I first opened the box. However, the curved back and very slim bezels do make the phone feel smaller in the hand than it is, and I have quite small hands for a bloke. I am even able to use it one handed to an extent! Sending texts are ok as I am able to reach the whole keyboard with my thumb. No problems with pockets. Some complain the Moto dimple is too low down, it is perfect for me, my finger rests in there automatically when I pick the device up.

I have the standard black model with the silicone back, it really does feel nice and grippy. I am not happy with it being exposed though so I have ordered a case, hope it doesn't add too much bulk.

Display

Yeah, I love the display. I know many were upset over the change from amoled to IPS lcd but I love, it, I have said it many times before but I am terrified of burn in. My 2014 Moto x developed it after just 2 weeks of use and I love not having to worry about leaving the screen on and damaging the display. I must admit, Moto display does lose a little bit of it's special feel seeing the backlight light up in dark situation but I honestly can't tell during the day, blacks are still pretty deep. Whites are lovely as well and colour reproduction looks accurate. I have left it on the vibrant default display mode and colours look lovely to me. Someone here complained whites are a bit yellow, they are definitely on the warm side but I like it personally. Resolution is of course insane, I find myself turning the screen on just to look at it sometimes. Viewing angles are fantastic.

Sound

This is, surprisingly, the one area I am not 100% happy with. Don't get me wrong, the duel stereo speakers are fantastic and sound is both loud and clear, the issue is a bug that many others have noticed. The speakers seem to 'pop' or crackle when certain notifications are played, especially I have noticed with twitter. A rep on the Motorola product forums has confirmed it is a software issue, not hardware and a fix is on the way and I hope that's true. It's not a dealbreaker but it is honestly annoying.

Battery

I have, personally, been very happy with the battery so far. It is a huge 5.7" quad HDdisplay, if you leave it on the battery will drain fast. That's just a fact of life and I wish Motorola did put in a bigger cell, more is always better of course. But standby time has been very good, I have found on a typical work day of playing music for an hour or so, checking twitter a lot and doing other tasks I usually end the day (after unplugging the phone at about 7:30am) with 3 hours of screen on time and usually 20% left by the time I plug it back in around midnight. I have a Nexus 7 and when I have got over the newness of the phone and stop playing with it for no reason and use my Nexus in the evenings more I am sure I can get more life out of it. Also, I fully expect standby time to improve even more with doze when Marshmallow hits.

Software

I love stock android which is why a Nexus or a Moto are really ever the only option for me. But I love the Moto features, Moto display is something I can't live without now (I instinctively find myself waving my hand over other devices!) and moto voice is great, especially with the new lift to your ear feature. I actually used that in work yesterday as I wanted to quickly set a reminded and didn't want to look a complete prick talking to my phone. I am upset they are removing moto assist with Marshmallow though, especially as they have just added the ability to add custom places. It is just great to go to work and my phone automatically sets to vibrate, I don't think (but please correct me if I am wrong) that stock Marshmallow allows you to do that?

The phone is very zippy but I have noticed the odd micro stutter here and there. I actually get the same stutters in the same places on my N7 so I wonder whether it is lollipop rather than the device, we will see how it handles on 6.0.

So there we have it, very happy with the phone so far!

Kevyt

lol, Samsung'd.

Well, after (almost) a week with my Moto X Style I think it's time for some detailed impressions! I know there are a tonne of reviews and stuff but what the hell, let's go anyway.

Does the phone ever get hot on you? I'm looking at 110+ farenheit or 43.3+ celsius after I have been using it for more a while, even when just browsing. I haven't noticed any reviews mention this.

Now, I may have been unfair, or perhaps my expectations are not real, because I have Skype running in the background. I have about three chats active, and two group chats. Maybe Skype is causing the phone to overheat, but Skype never shows up as running in the background, even though it is.

I will have to look and see if it's Skype or simply that the Moto X style overheats after several minutes. Which might not be a bad thing given that winter is coming, lol. \o/

Does anyone here use Skype as much as I do? Does Skype have a tendency to cause this? I swear this wasn't much of an issue on my Zenfone 2... but who knows.

But I hate the throttling while the phone is overheated, that's when the micro stutter happens especially in Chrome.

Edit: My friend also has the Moto X Style, also uses Skype and says his doesn't get that hot. Maybe I got a faulty unit? I dunno...

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
whats the score with hacking/customization with apple? using a note 4, and have modded the crap out of it. any chance of that with iphones? used wifes iphone6 for a while before upgrading to note4, and found it quite dull...

hitgirl

Lumia phones are like the one phone I feel OK using without a case. They are damn tanks. I have had this 928 for awhile and it looks new.

Good features for the price too; type c, wireless charging, removable battery, sd card slot. Like damn wish their talents were not wasted on Windows 10.

Lumia phones are like the one phone I feel OK using without a case. They are damn tanks. I have had this 928 for awhile and it looks new.

Good features for the price too; type c, wireless charging, removable battery, sd card slot. Like damn wish their talents were not wasted on Windows 10.

The problem with the 950 and 950 XL is that the regular back is made of plastic and makes the phones look super cheap. This case at least does wonders for the design. And like the original back, it has wireless charging and NFC.

e: And to be clear, this is not a case in a sense that you put your phone in it, like those flip cases or rubber cases. You remove the whole back (like you would to replace your battery, because you can with these phones) and the frame with the buttons and all comes off with it. And then you can put the new one on, giving it a metal frame and leather back.

Fatalah

Verizon Will Impose $20 Price Increase On Grandfathered Unlimited Data Subscribers Very Soon: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...athered-unlimited-data-subscribers-very-soon/

I've been waiting for this moment -- a reason to drop VZ. It actually comes as a relief, as I kept maxing out on texts and voice.

The OG Moto X was our hero in 2013. Being able to purchase a nice phone for a low price was huge.

So glad to have so many more phone and carrier choices in 2015. I really want to try Project Fi. Is anyone on it?

What's wrong with the LG G4? I had a G2 and it was pretty nice, is there a reason the G4 isn't massively popular?

The battery is a bit mediocre for a device of that size and some might not like the skin. But it doesn't have any big flaws, as far as I know. Other than not having Qi charging by default, of course.

Maiar_m

What's wrong with the LG G4? I had a G2 and it was pretty nice, is there a reason the G4 isn't massively popular?

In this thread? LG skin mostly, but it's one of the most praised phones still. I personally find its look to be a personal attack to my well-being through the optic nerve, others find the leather back stylish.

As to why it's not massively popular in the world, I'd say it is still a very large phone. Here at least no large phone can be considered popular.

DagsJT

Hmm the LG skin won't bother me as I use Nova anyway. At £314 from Amazon, it seems a decent price compared to a 5X 32GB in the UK.

Crisco

Banned
The funniest thing about the iPhone is they brag about their Javascript benchmark scores, but the average website (like, CNN.com, not warez.gifhouse.zzzzz) crashes Safari or just runs like garbage. Meanwhile, Chrome on Android handles any website like a dream and never crashes. On the iPhone you basically have to get an app for every website or it's just not useable.

The funniest thing about the iPhone is they brag about their Javascript benchmark scores, but the average website (like, CNN.com, not warez.gifhouse.zzzzz) crashes Safari or just runs like garbage. Meanwhile, Chrome on Android handles any website like a dream and never crashes. On the iPhone you basically have to get an app for every website or it's just not useable.

chrome only inhales your entire battery to do it

Weird. I just opened up CNN.com in Safari and it took maybe 3 seconds for the page to load and works fine. Scrolling is smooth and story links open quickly.

Edit: In fairness I'm on a 6s+ and have Purify installed. I don't remember having any problems with my 6+ crashing wither though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I will never understand this sentiment. A shitty OEM skin is still miles better than iOS.

Most skins are miles better than they use to be anyways. Considering you'll spend 90% of your time probably in an App that looks the same regardless of skin or stock I just don't see it being as big of an issue as it used to be.

People tend to think of LG or Samsung skins from say 3 or 4 years ago vs now. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom