• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

The new Chromecast box is really nice the way it opens

Yes I'm impressed by the way a box opens -_-

don't worry, i love boxes too so the more thought put into it the better. like when i had ordered a suit online for the first time. probably one of my favourite unboxings ever.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Most skins are miles better than they use to be anyways. Considering you'll spend 90% of your time probably in an App that looks the same regardless of skin or stock I just don't see it being as big of an issue as it used to be.

People tend to think of LG or Samsung skins from say 3 or 4 years ago vs now. *shrug*

Never minding that, I would still prefer MotoBlur to iOS9.

Saiyan-Rox

don't worry, i love boxes too so the more thought put into it the better. like when i had ordered a suit online for the first time. probably one of my favourite unboxings ever.

Least i'm not alone lol damn I hope the nexus boxes open like this :O

DagsJT

That's really not a bad price. I see the leather one is £320.

Yep, I noticed the leather was only £6 more so went for that.

Shocking to find that EE charge £10.20 for a replacement sim though. That's thievery considering sims cost 99p in a shop.

Apparently going into a store and asking for a swap is better as they will do it for free. Going from a nano to micro so can't cut the sim down either.

Most skins are miles better than they use to be anyways. Considering you'll spend 90% of your time probably in an App that looks the same regardless of skin or stock I just don't see it being as big of an issue as it used to be.

People tend to think of LG or Samsung skins from say 3 or 4 years ago vs now. *shrug*

it's not the skins aesthetics, it's the additional fuckery/jank that comes along with it

Anyone with experience with Nova launcher, why is it popular? Should I use it over Android 6.0 Stock?
Damn near everything is customizable. Icons, icon sizes, animations, transitions, folders, colors, app drawer, etc. Damn near everything about your home screen experience can be made the way you want it to be.

The stock/Google launcher is not bad, but there's barely any customization on offer. It's biggest advantage is Google Now to the left of the home screens. It's also very fast and smooth, but that can also be said of most third party launchers like Nova.

If you get Nova, I'd suggest paying for the "Pro" version--Nova Prime. It offers even more options and tweaks than the free version.

Damn near everything is customizable. Icons, icon sizes, animations, transitions, folders, colors, app drawer, etc. Damn near everything about your home screen experience can be made the way you want it to be.

The stock/Google launcher is not bad, but there's barely any customization on offer. It's biggest advantage is Google Now to the left of the home screens. It's also very fast and smooth, but that can also be said of most third party launchers like Nova.

If you get Nova, I'd suggest paying for the "Pro" version--Nova Prime. It offers even more options and tweaks than the free version.

How's the performance on Nova Prime? Does it make Samsung S6 faster?

Launchers are kinda weird to me IMO. By technical definition, they should be affecting performance of your device since they are constantly running, however with modern day software, Nova Prime is incredibly optimized for android and runs rather seamless when you set it to your default. This processing is incredibly minimal so you shouldn't feel sluggishness esp with a S6.

Bad launchers that are horribly optimized drag your device down for sure though.

I've never tried Nova on an S6 before, but I'm willing to bet performance is just as good, if not better than the stock S6 launcher. In addition to Nova, you should give Action Launcher a look, if you want something a bit different from most launchers.

The new Chromecast box is really nice the way it opens

Yes I'm impressed by the way a box opens -_-

That's absolutely okay, man.

The experience of a good unboxing is really important, as it gives you instant gratification for the purchase you made. It makes you feel good and happy that you bought that product. Sometimes I wish I could work on something great like that.

snacknuts

we all knew her

+1 for this. Nova Prime might be the best $4 I've spent in the Play store.

I want to like the Google Now launcher, but I am too spoiled by the customization Nova offers. GNL icons are too big, I don't like the white background on the drawer, I don't like that I can't get rid of the Google search bar at the top of the home screen, and I don't like that there is so much overkill for search. You can access Google search in the following ways from the home screen using GNL:
  • Say, "OK, Google"
  • Click the persistent search bar
  • Swipe in from the left
  • Swipe up from the home button
I understand why they do it, but it's too much. I still have access to half of that with another launcher, and I get the added benefit of custom gesture controls, etc.

Nicktendo86

Does the phone ever get hot on you? I'm looking at 110+ farenheit or 43.3+ celsius after I have been using it for more a while, even when just browsing. I haven't noticed any reviews mention this.
It gets warm but never what I would call hot, even during gaming. I've read a couple of people say theirs gets hot and I wonder if it is a case of a bad unit..

Saiyan-Rox

That's absolutely okay, man.

The experience of a good unboxing experience is really important, as it gives you instant gratification for the purchase you made. It makes you feel good and happy that you bought that product. Sometimes I wish I could work on something great like that.

Definitely worked in this case - it's so nice!

Right up there with the OPO box and my master chief helmet from the Halo 3 legendary edition.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
LG Skin has overtaken touchwiz as the worst. Touchwiz is moving in the right direction. LG is just...bleh.

This is just wrong. Stupid wrong. Ignorant.

Touchwiz degrades performance, not the case with LG.Touchwiz still lags, is still very janky after you spend a month with it and install apps.

Honestly, I don't know why you would make a statement like that, you're just wrong.

Oh mah gooooob, I got my Nexus 5 from Tmobile. For used, this thing is practically brand new. It's so sexy. 2 years late to the party here. Updating to lollipop right now, gonna do marshmallow next.

This is just wrong. Stupid wrong. Ignorant.

Touchwiz degrades performance, not the case with LG.Touchwiz still lags, is still very janky after you spend a month with it and install apps.

Honestly, I don't know why you would make a statement like that, you're just wrong.
I just meant in terms of design

Reckoner

Seems like the guy over at Btekt really liked his time with the Moto X Play. It's on 3rd in their phone of the month rank.

Btw how color accurate are the new displays on the Play and Style? Should be better now that they moved away from OLED to LCD, right? Or is it just Moto incompetent at calibrating their displays?

EmiPrime

Oh mah gooooob, I got my Nexus 5 from Tmobile. For used, this thing is practically brand new. It's so sexy. 2 years late to the party here. Updating to lollipop right now, gonna do marshmallow next.

Enjoy it! It's still a fantastic device especially with 6.0.

If you can ignore the camera and somehow handle the battery, it's still a really great device.

Maybe once mine is about to die, I'll try that weird and highly risky hack to put an LG G2 battery in it.

EmiPrime

I'm okay with the Nexus 5 battery life and the camera can get some very good results but it takes too long to open the camera app and too long to focus.

Seems like the guy over at Btekt really liked his time with the Moto X Play. It's on 3rd in their phone of the month rank.

Btw how color accurate are the new displays on the Play and Style? Should be better now that they moved away from OLED to LCD, right? Or is it just Moto incompetent at calibrating their displays?
I honestly don't see anything wrong at all with the x play screen. Looks pretty accurate to me. It's definitely a solid phone for the price. Not a longterm keeper and there's nothing on it that will stun you like the display or speed (other than the battery life) but it'll serve in the interim for anyone.

Verizon Will Impose $20 Price Increase On Grandfathered Unlimited Data Subscribers Very Soon: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...athered-unlimited-data-subscribers-very-soon/

Verizon's final Fuck You to it's most loyal customers

I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to scum my way onto a 2-year contract to lock in 2 more years of unlimited data or just walk. The problem is I can't go to anyone else except AT&T if I actually still want 4G LTE where I live and that's just leaving the frying pan for the fire. Fuck this shit and fuck Verizon.

Fatalah

Verizon's final Fuck You to it's most loyal customers

I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to scum my way onto a 2-year contract to lock in 2 more years of unlimited data or just walk. The problem is I can't go to anyone else except AT&T if I actually still want 4G LTE where I live and that's just leaving the frying pan for the fire. Fuck this shit and fuck Verizon.

What about Cricket, which uses VZ towers? I'm reading about all the MVNO's. Lots of love for Straight Talk too.

Quasar

Well I'm happy to see Google provided my old N4 with a Stagefright2 patch. I kind of figured with 6.0 the N4 support would be over.

Looking at cellphones in the 300usd price range, I stumbled upon the Lenovo Vibe Shot. The build quality and specs are better than the Moto X Play, you guys should check it out.

Quasar

dat skin + never getting updates = meh

Yeah.

I'm actually finding it pretty hard to find a modern phone at that price range on any OS.

Even looking to Windows there is basically a giant gap between sub 200$ phones and flagships.

Which leaves me basically giving up and just living with my Nexus 4 for longer.

It's getting 6.0. That's something.
when though in 2017? :p

Yeah.

I'm actually finding it pretty hard to find a modern phone at that price range on any OS.

Even looking to Windows there is basically a giant gap between sub 200$ phones and flagships.

there always seems to be some major compromise(s) when you get to "affordable" flagships. Ah well. I've accepted that I use my upgrade every 2 years for really premium shit and the inbetweener phones I get within those 2 years when I switch around are usually cheaper things that I live with those. Like my x play now.

Ty4on

Well I'm happy to see Google provided my old N4 with a Stagefright2 patch. I kind of figured with 6.0 the N4 support would be over.
Google said its devices would get one extra year of security patches.

I wonder if Stagefright (media engine, not bug within it) is why YouTube keeps crashing. It's supposedly poorly written hence why they found a second bug so quickly.

Yeah.

Yo

Nexus-6-vs-Nexus-6P-AH-9.jpg

RM8

The Sharp Aquos Compact SH-02H is what I need to come back to Android.

Small, premium, beefy phone? Those are basically extinct. I hope it's not too expensive :p I'd just buy an iPod Touch for those games that are iOS-exclusive.

I've been so impressed with my Lenovo K3 note. Anyone looking for a $150 dollar unlocked phone that can compete with some of the bigger name phones out there that sell for 3 times the price, really give this phone a look.

Must be rooted though! Comes with a lot of bloat! I am running a 5.1 Nexus ROM and it is very smooth.

5.5 inch IPS 1920x1080 (401ppi)
2gb ram
Mediatek MT6752
Octa-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A53
LTE
Dual sim
16gb internal + 32gb sd
13mp back and 5mp front camera
3000 mAh replaceable battery

I mean, those specs check a lot of boxes. I guess the chipset and GPU may be the only "knock" on the specs but I have not had any hiccups at all.

The Sharp Aquos Compact SH-02H is what I need to come back to Android.

Small, premium, beefy phone? Those are basically extinct. I hope it's not too expensive :p I'd just buy an iPod Touch for those games that are iOS-exclusive.

Oh man I think I had that same wallpaper on a Sharp feature phone back in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom