• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

The funniest thing about the iPhone is they brag about their Javascript benchmark scores, but the average website (like, CNN.com, not warez.gifhouse.zzzzz) crashes Safari or just runs like garbage. Meanwhile, Chrome on Android handles any website like a dream and never crashes. On the iPhone you basically have to get an app for every website or it's just not useable.
What in the hell are you talking about?
Oh man I think I had that same wallpaper on a Sharp feature phone back in 2006
Funny, I swore I had that on my Moto Rizr.

Quasar

For the short while I had the z3 compact last year, I really did fret for its life. The weeks before the official case was released, I dropped that thing a ton of times. Glass is slippery as hell.

Lol at his excuse. Yeah, right, you didn't drop it you're self.

I've long wondered about that given I still have my launch n4 which has always been nude unscratched/cracked. I don't feel like I've treated it with kid gloves or anything.

Ashes

Banned
I've long wondered about that given I still have my launch n4 which has always been nude unscratched/cracked. I don't feel like I've treated it with kid gloves or anything.

I've dropped my moto 4G a fair few times, but it's plastic, and I never got the feeling it was slippery like glass. Mostly it'd be my fault, like I was getting it out of the pocket, or balancing between my cheek and shoulder, talking to someone, and then looking elsewhere. It's perfectly fine even after those drops though.

In the z3 compact's case, just holding it, your finger glides, like the front screen.

Edit: turned my nexus 7 over, to see if my fingers glided over glass. And actually there is more grip there than I'd imagined! Probably my sweaty hands providing the grip. But imagine having to hold the thing. BTW z3 compact did survive all those falls.

Ashes

Banned
summarize?

not giving them the traffic.

He broke the z5's frosted glass back. Claims that he doesn't know how it broke. And that perhaps it maybe that it fell and hit his iphone charger beside his bed or something.

And oh yeah, he posted it, out of public duty, that z5s might have weak backs, and not because he broke a review unit.

people keep blaming Lenovo but Moto was like that forever. even before Google bought them... and you cant even point to the time when Google owned them because they did the same thing then. they only had that one time where they were first on Verizon and everyone was so amazed that they acted like Motorola had customer support.

Ashes

Banned
Moto g? You mean moto e. No?

Still Shitty practise though. I think 2 years is bad enough in Google's case. Let alone er.. 8 months. That's atrocious.

Salsa

Moto g? You mean moto e. No?

Still Shitty practise though. I think 2 years is bad enough in Google's case. Let alone er.. 8 months. That's atrocious.

I mean moto g 2014

which is confirmed to get 6.0

... but not the carrier versions

they abandoned the moto e even worse tho, for sure

Ashes

Banned
I mean moto g 2014

which is confirmed to get 6.0

... but not the carrier versions

Where did you read this? This affects me too - for a month at least. I'm pretty sure moto g and moto 4g is just about their most important - read best selling devices. Really don't want to screw that customer in my opinion. And I am pretty sure here in the UK we're getting it.

Reckoner

The Sharp Aquos Compact SH-02H is what I need to come back to Android.

Small, premium, beefy phone? Those are basically extinct. I hope it's not too expensive :p I'd just buy an iPod Touch for those games that are iOS-exclusive.

Those Sharp phones are the only ones I would consider buying at the low/mid range. They look different and interesting. Too bad they never came out in Europe, afaik.

Ashes

Banned
Ahh I think I have figured out what's happened. Since moto g second gen came out in September, most of 14 is moto g first gen, even if it debuted September 2013.

What a shitty practise. Adding Motorola to the do not recommend pile.

longdi

Banned
He broke the z5's frosted glass back. Claims that he doesn't know how it broke. And that perhaps it maybe that it fell and hit his iphone charger beside his bed or something.

And oh yeah, he posted it, out of public duty, that z5s might have weak backs, and not because he broke a review unit.

Wow so news worthy... Let us stop giving theperge clicks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't understand why they keep using glass backs.
Because it's beautiful. I prefer a glass back. It just needs to be... More practical for most. I can deal with a glass back, though, because I'm not a kinder.

waaaaaaait

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...pport-to-your-customers-or-start-losing-them/

moto g 2014 carrier versions not getting marhsmallow??

wtf??

my phone is supposedly unlocked but it has a Claro app, which I guess was the original carrier

wonder if i'll get the update :/ :/ :/

hella shitty. phone is 1 year old. wtf motorola
And so, the next contender as a Nexus alternative (for near stock Android) is gone due to support lottery for OS updates. Way to go Lenovo, i really feel bad for the guys at Motorola.

Back to either getting an OEM device and flash stock on it, or buckle up and pay ludicrous prices for a late launch in Europe with the new Nexus flagships.
The magic 8-Ball answers with skip-year more frequently!

Reckoner

And so, the next contender as a Nexus alternative (for near stock Android) is gone due to support lottery for OS updates. Way to go Lenovo, i really feel bad for the guys at Motorola.

Back to either getting an OEM device and flash stock on it, or buckle up and pay ludicrous prices for a late launch in Europe with the new Nexus flagships.
The magic 8-Ball answers with skip-year more frequently!

Lol so ironic

People buying Moto for stock Android and fast updates

Moto gives them the middle finger

I thought Moto G 2014 was on the list and Moto X 2014 carrier getting the shaft.
this was the list

2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
2015 Moto X Play
2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
DROID Turbo
2014 Moto MAXX
2014 Moto Turbo
Nexus 6

hitgirl

Yea, one of the reasons I decided to re-buy a Nexus. I'd rather give a bit of money to someone who will support their phone and not make me feel like a criminal if I root it. It's still a big corporation that sucks, but I feel a little better than giving money to Moto/Samsung/LG

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Speaking of, 1+ is have open sales for the 1+2

CQ3ZTnWXAAApmX5.png

seems like they're doing this much earlier than they did with the 1+. Iwonderwhy

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I'm done with my Note 4. I don't HATE the phone, but I just want my Nexus experience back.

Is there a good/reliable write up on 5x vs 6p?

kami_sama

If the rumored specs are true it almost seems like a much better purchase than OPT. It would be on my list of in-case-my-N5-breaks list of phones.

I don't know. It's rumored to have an Helio x10. While it's a great CPU, the GPU lacks compared even to a 808. And the issue with the kernel sources for mediatek chips.

Ashes

Banned
Yea, one of the reasons I decided to re-buy a Nexus. I'd rather give a bit of money to someone who will support their phone and not make me feel like a criminal if I root it. It's still a big corporation that sucks, but I feel a little better than giving money to Moto/Samsung/LG

Er.. Motorola is doing the same thing with Moto G first gen that Google did and does or would have done. Two year support.
The latter is worse, because Google only has a few products.. Billion dollar company can't afford to support its products for more than 24 months (I think security updates are an additional 12 months).
It's Google who set this crappy standard.
I think LG and Samsung have a much better record of support than Google even with a greater number of products.
And cyanogenmod community is better than all of those.

RuGalz

I don't know. It's rumored to have an Helio x10. While it's a great CPU, the GPU lacks compared even to a 808. And the issue with the kernel sources for mediatek chips.

I never play games on my phone, so the GPU is probably more than adequate; esp, if it's not worse than N5. GPU is probably the least I care about a phone unless it hinders regular performance. It's a skip year imo so to me this looks promising for a placeholder if my N5 breaks.

Kevyt

Okay I'm going to exchange my Moto X Pure from best buy. Hopefully the overheat issues means I got a faulty unit. I sweat it gets too hot even while idling...

Salex_

I don't understand why it's so hard to announce a phone with a release date. It's been 11 days since Nexus 5X/6P were officially announced and they STILL didn't announce the release date.

I have to return my Moto X Pure by tomorrow and I need to buy a temporary phone. I can buy something good from best buy and return it within 14 days, but I have no idea if the Nexus 6P will be out by that date.

Kevyt

Should just return it and get a 6P.

Yes, but...

I don't understand why it's so hard to announce a phone with a release date. It's been 11 days since Nexus 5X/6P were officially announced and they STILL didn't announce the release date.

I have to return my Moto X Pure by tomorrow and I need to buy a temporary phone. I can buy something good from best buy and return it within 14 days, but I have no idea if the Nexus 6P will be out by that date.

This.

So marshmallow on the Nexus 5 is pretty nice. I wish I could root, but so far it feels the same as being stock root with SetCPU set to the bare minimum with screen off. I'm okay with this. Kinda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom