• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

Thanks for the responses. Like many folks, I've been a fan of T-Mobile from afar. But since Project Fi combines Sprint and T-Mobile, isn't it the optimal choice?

Also, I don't think I want to sign a 2 year agreement with VZ. From what I've read, going with an MVNO can save a good chunk of change, without sacrificing performance.

giga

lol https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/652817150906880000/photo/1

CQ9FvTCWEAABJfw.jpg

So I'm actually thinking about getting a tablet this year...budget is a maxmod $200 I'd say. What are my options? It seems a bit limited from my research but curious what others have to say.

cocopuffs

Banned
The Nexus 6P best be good cause the more I see the iPhone 6/S in the wild, the more I kinda want an iPhone.

This LG G2 is way too long in the tooth for me. Ugly phone, ugly non-stock Android, just an ugly ugly device.

So I was really bored earlier today so I watched a lot of "3-6 month later" reviews. You know like "S6 3 months later...". Watched a bunch on youtube and read some write ups and it really is funny how Samsung kinda messed up the S6.

To say something positive, they all almost unanimously agrees that it's one of the best if not the closest to perfect android phone you can get (especially when using nova/stock theme). But at least half or more said they had to drop it for a different phone because the battery would die on them mid day with a lot of use. And the ones that stuck with the phone said the same thing but they didn't mind charging it once at night and once mid-day while at work or something.

Then I just think about most casuals who relaly don't care about turbo charging and wireless charging and all that who just text non stop all day and play games on the subway and so on and man when they notice their phone dying by 3pm I can't imagine how fast some of them dropped it. And that's speaking about people who have actually stayed with samsung until now and haven't dropped it already for other reasons in the past (touchwiz, etc...). Why did they do it? Undoubtedly for thinness and nothing else. They have the wrong perception about why people love iPhones and it's biting them in the ass. Apple can afford to do those things. An Android phone simply cannot.

But what worries me most is that for the S7, rather than admitting they goof'd and rectifying the things they did wrong (using battery again as an example), they'll just keep it thin and make the phone bigger to put a bigger battery in it. S7 remains an interesting one for me to watch out for in 2016 regardless of if I'd ever plan to get it or not. Curious to see what direction they go. What lessons they learned.

Also it's amusing to see the differences in the G4 leather after a few months. Seems varying. Also HTC M9 after ___ months videos are great. They sound like eulogies.

this_guy

So I was really bored earlier today so I watched a lot of "3-6 month later" reviews. You know like "S6 3 months later...". Watched a bunch on youtube and read some write ups and it really is funny how Samsung kinda messed up the S6.

To say something positive, they all almost unanimously agrees that it's one of the best if not the closest to perfect android phone you can get (especially when using nova/stock theme). But at least half or more said they had to drop it for a different phone because the battery would die on them mid day with a lot of use. And the ones that stuck with the phone said the same thing but they didn't mind charging it once at night and once mid-day while at work or something.

Then I just think about most casuals who relaly don't care about turbo charging and wireless charging and all that who just text non stop all day and play games on the subway and so on and man when they notice their phone dying by 3pm I can't imagine how fast some of them dropped it. And that's speaking about people who have actually stayed with samsung until now and haven't dropped it already for other reasons in the past (touchwiz, etc...). Why did they do it? Undoubtedly for thinness and nothing else. They have the wrong perception about why people love iPhones and it's biting them in the ass. Apple can afford to do those things. An Android phone simply cannot.

But what worries me most is that for the S7, rather than admitting they goof'd and rectifying the things they did wrong (using battery again as an example), they'll just keep it thin and make the phone bigger to put a bigger battery in it. S7 remains an interesting one for me to watch out for in 2016 regardless of if I'd ever plan to get it or not. Curious to see what direction they go. What lessons they learned.

Also it's amusing to see the differences in the G4 leather after a few months. Seems varying. Also HTC M9 after ___ months videos are great. They sound like eulogies.

If you love the iPhone so much why don't you marry it?

Samsung was stupid to decrease the battery size from last year

If you love the iPhone so much why don't you marry it?

Samsung was stupid to decrease the battery size from last year
my point was actually pretty positive overall about samsung. I'm saying they could have had a killer phone but even the hardcores are dropping it because of that flaw. It's a shame. I'm curious to see which backlash they respond to (sd card, battery, etc..) and which they don't. Maybe they release the near identical phone with better tech inside and an 820.

Should just get a Note 4 or 5. Battery life is great on my Note 5.
if I was interested in phablets the Note 5 seems like a good device to get. But alas. I am not. All they need to do is keep reducing touchwiz footprint, throw a 3000mah battery in the s6 at the same screen size, keep improving camera tech and update other specs. And boom you probably have the best android phone that will release in 2016. Do the same with the Note 6 and they'll have a good one two punch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

After x month reviews are awesome. I wish they received more fanfare. There's always this honeymoon phase that doesn't always pan out. Plus, phones change with updates and everything.

Samsung phones end up imploding a few months out. I have no idea why.

Guys, got some extra money and now I'm even more confused by which phone to get. Now the phones that are in my price range are flagships of this year: Galaxy S6, LG G4, HTC M9 or 'M9+, Xperia Z4. Those for now. And I'm really leaning towards te S6.

Guys, got some extra money and now I'm even more confused on which phone to get. Now the phones that are in my price range are flagships of this year: Galaxy S6, LG G4, HTC M9 or 'M9+, Xperia Z4. Those for now. And I'm really leaning towards te S6.

I'll narrow it down for you. Forget the Z4 and any HTC phone.

EmiPrime

After x month reviews are awesome. I wish they received more fanfare. There's always this honeymoon phase that doesn't always pan out. Plus, phones change with updates and everything.

Samsung phones end up imploding a few months out. I have no idea why.

That's why it's always good to wait. Let the dust settle, get some opinions from real people who've been using the device for a few months and not a professional reviewer who uses it for a week then moves to the next one, let the manufacturers address manufacturing flaws that usually crop up in the first batch.

The S6 and the 6S both show that being an early adopter is not all it's cracked up to be.

Guys, got some extra money and now I'm even more confused by which phone to get. Now the phones that are in my price range are flagships of this year: Galaxy S6, LG G4, HTC M9 or 'M9+, Xperia Z4. Those for now. And I'm really leaning towards te S6.
like Jazzy said. Don't even consider HTC and Sony. I'd personally take the S6 over the G4 flaws and all.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why not a Nexus?

EmiPrime

Can you wait at all for the 6.0 updates? Maybe Samsung will fix the RAM issues in the S6 (unless they really are proud of that "feature") and maybe LG will make their skin less ugly and stupid.

probably neither of them will but hope springs eternal

tzare

if I was interested in phablets the Note 5 seems like a good device to get. But alas. I am not. All they need to do is keep reducing touchwiz footprint, throw a 3000mah battery in the s6 at the same screen size, keep improving camera tech and update other specs. And boom you probably have the best android phone that will release in 2016. Do the same with the Note 6 and they'll have a good one two punch.

Not sure how batteries work, but how would a battery only about 20% bigger make a phone that dies at 3pm last the whole day.

That said i am.seriously interested in android m on s6, as long as this battery drain is happening when idle.

Furyous

Just sent Apple an email begging them to sue HTC. I'm sure pretty sure patent cross licensing deals doesn't include "blatantly rip off a 100 million+ selling device". Hope Apple cease, desists, and shames them into bolivion. I'm hating fuck this shit.

All HTC has to do next year is release the device in the leak from 2014. Give us that, near stock android and we'll support you.

Exokell

Banned
Why doesn't htc just use hardware buttons. Software buttons -> htc logo -> fingerprint sensor. This design is outright stupid and waste of space.

Not sure how batteries work, but how would a battery only about 20% bigger make a phone that dies at 3pm last the whole day.

That said i am.seriously interested in android m on s6, as long as this battery drain is happening when idle.
Well you have to look at the bigger picture. It won't just be a ~20% battery capacity increase. Next gen soc be it the 820 or whatever exynos will also bring with it more efficiency. Then there's also better battery efficiency coming with software optimization as well every generation whether it be marshmallow and or touchwiz. It adds up man.

Look at the S4 and S5 as the prime example. Battery capacity is only different by 200mAh. Now tell me those two phones didn't have a notable battery difference. Check out reviews and whatnot as well. Every bit counts. Also the 3pm thing is probably heavy usage. Which isn't an every day thing so it would make a good difference on most days!

Noema

So I here in Mexico Best Buy is selling the Nexus 6 for about US$350 and the 2014 Moto X (new) for about $200.

I actually think the Moto X 2014 is a solid device, better than the X Play. They had both on display side by side. Not only is the 2014 X cheaper, it has a faster CPU (SD801 vs 615), and the AMOLED display on the 2014 looked nicer than the IPS on the Play. It also has those nifty sensors and AMOLED Moto notifications the Play lacks. The 2014 felt snappier than the Play, too. They both were running 5.1.

Of course the Play has a massive 3600mAh battery compared to the pityful 2300mAh battery on the 2014. Jury's still out on the camera but I wouldn't be surprised if the Play has the edge here.

I'm thinking of picking one of those up. The Nexus of course has better battery life, quad HD, and better camera than the X 2014. It's a Nexus so, of course, updates. It also has slow I/O (forced encryption? Can that be disabled on 6.0?). 2014 X is cheaper, and I actually like the size better than the Nexus. I'm worried that the 2014 won't get Marshmallow, and of course, battery is abysmal. If the X 2014 had even a 3000mAh battery I feel it'd be a no-brainer. I can live with the mediocre camera.

Any thoughts? I guess most people will recommend the Nexus, but I'd like to hear some recommendations. I'm coming from an OG Moto G.

So I here in Mexico Best Buy is selling the Nexus 6 for about US$350 and the 2014 Moto X (new) for about $200.

I actually think the Moto X 2014 is a solid device, better than the X Play. They had both on display side by side. Not only is the 2014 X cheaper, it has a faster CPU (SD801 vs 615), and the AMOLED display on the 2014 looked nicer than the IPS on the Play. It also has those nifty sensors and AMOLED Moto notifications the Play lacks. The 2014 felt snappier than the Play, too. They both were running 5.1.

Of course the Play has a massive 3600mAh battery compared to the pityful 2300mAh battery on the 2014. Jury's still out on the camera but I wouldn't be surprised if the Play has the edge here.

I'm thinking of picking one of those up. The Nexus of course has better battery life, quad HD, and better camera than the X 2014. It's a Nexus so, of course, updates. It also has slow I/O (forced encryption? Can that be disabled on 6.0?). 2014 X is cheaper, and I actually like the size better than the Nexus. I'm worried that the 2014 won't get Marshmallow, and of course, battery is abysmal. If the X 2014 had even a 3000mAh battery I feel it'd be a no-brainer. I can live with the mediocre camera.

Any thoughts? I guess most people will recommend the Nexus, but I'd like to hear some recommendations. I'm coming from an OG Moto G.
I'm using the Moto X right now and it's a great phone. The battery life is not great, though.

Reckoner

The Moto X is a decent phone, but the Nexus 6 is even better as long as you can flash a custom rom and kernel on that mofo, fix a few stuff like calibrating the display to get the whites right and dpi on the native 493 which imo is much better suited considering the size of the display; also doing this gives you slightly better battery!!! If you can do that and handle the big footprint of the phone, I think you'll like it.

I'm actually starting to feel the design of the phone. It's different and looks premium, and should feel like it also. Hoping for the best, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom