• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

The Moto X is a decent phone, but the Nexus 6 is even better as long as you can flash a custom rom and kernel on that mofo, fix a few stuff like calibrating the display to get the whites right and dpi on the native 493 which imo is much better suited considering the size of the display; also doing this gives you slightly better battery!!! If you can do that and handle the big footprint of the phone, I think you'll like it.

Ok, that's interesting. Which custom ROM would you recommend for that? I assume that would also fix the forced encryption to improve I/O performance?

Reckoner

Ok, that's interesting. Which custom ROM would you recommend for that? I assume that would also fix the forced encryption to improve I/O performance?

That's right. Most roms (or all of them) come with encryption disabled by default. I used to have Pure Shamu, but the guy who developed it dropped support around February and then I went for Chroma, which seems to be the most popular. For kernel, I used franco kernel and his app for adjusting stuff.

longdi

Banned
Z5 or Edge+?? This is the final duel.

Edge+ will have better hardware and battery.
Z5 looks really nice and classy with the new blockier frame and frosted glass back. And water/dust proofing is a great feature.

How about Z5 Premium? at least that one will more than able to match/exceed Edge+ battery life.

I am waiting for Sony Q1'16 flagship with the 820 soc, that would be a full upgrade from my Z2.

NotBacon

but the Nexus 6 is even better as long as you can flash a custom rom and kernel on that mofo, fix a few stuff like calibrating the display to get the whites right and dpi on the native 493

Eh bleh, not everyone is into this stuff.
So for those reading who also don't want to fiddle with ROMs and tweaks: Nexus 6 is perfectly fine without it. Performance, battery, and display. All really great (especially on M!!) without tweaks.

Edge+ will have better hardware and battery.
Z5 looks really nice and classy with the new blockier frame and frosted glass back. And water/dust proofing is a great feature.

How about Z5 Premium? at least that one will more than able to match/exceed Edge+ battery life.

I am waiting for Sony Q1'16 flagship with the 820 soc, that would be a full upgrade from my Z2.
The retail that is bringing the Z5 won't bring the premium, sadly. I must say, the Z5 is cheaper (60000 Chilean pesos, about 110usd) than the edge+. Note 5 is 100usd more expensive than the edge+ here in Chile, so it's out of the ecuation.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Now my old phone (Galaxy S2) keeps telling me I don't have a SIM card installed -.- Managed to get it to work with multiple restarts 'n shit, but only for a few seconds if even.

Gawd I can't wait for that new phone.

Nikodemos

Why doesn't htc just use hardware buttons. Software buttons -> htc logo -> fingerprint sensor. This design is outright stupid and waste of space.
HTC's design since the M8 has been so incredibly crap.

If you as a phone maker insist on sticking your logo on the front, right where the home button is supposed to be, then make your logo the home button and fingerprint sensor (since the logo itself is metallic). Don't just add crap above and beyond it. HTC has some bad designers nowadays, and it's a shame, since I like their version of the Android UI. I hate flickable panes in my app list; greatly prefer a single scrollable one.

kami_sama

HTC's design since the M8 has been so incredibly crap.

If you as a phone maker insist on sticking your logo on the front, right where the home button is supposed to be, then make your logo the home button and fingerprint sensor (since the logo itself is metallic). Don't just add crap above and beyond it. HTC has some bad designers nowadays, and it's a shame, since I like their version of the Android UI. I hate flickable panes in my app list; greatly prefer a single scrollable one.

Yes, HTC design has gone for the worse the two last iterations. Why they can't do something like the OPT for the hardware buttons, or even put the logo inside the reader is beyond me.

linkboy

I'm running benzo on my nexus 6 and it's fantastic, tons of features and the battery life is good too.

I'm not upgrading to marshmallow until benzo gets updated.

Reckoner

I'm running benzo on my nexus 6 and it's fantastic, tons of features and the battery life is good too.

I'm not upgrading to marshmallow until benzo gets updated.

Just checked that out of curiosity. It's nice that they already changed the dpi within the rom.

I wonder if Google even turned on the screen when they were making the device. I don't know how they thought that 560 dpi were right for a display of that size. Fortunately, all the bs surrounding the Nexus 6 display seems to be fixed out of the box with the new 6P.

Hasney

Gsmarena battery reviews got to be the biggest horse shit ever

http://m.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

According to the above Galaxy S5 mini should last me through 3 days with 4 hours a day of web browsing. Yet here I am with only 4 hour screen time and the phone already at 20%.

That's not what that means. It's 1 hour of browsing

In our testing the Samsung Galaxy S5 mini offers great battery life - it managed an endurance rating of 72 hour - that's the interval between charges you should expect if you use the phone for watching an hour of video, and also web browsing and calling for an hour daily.

tzare

Well you have to look at the bigger picture. It won't just be a ~20% battery capacity increase. Next gen soc be it the 820 or whatever exynos will also bring with it more efficiency. Then there's also better battery efficiency coming with software optimization as well every generation whether it be marshmallow and or touchwiz. It adds up man.

Look at the S4 and S5 as the prime example. Battery capacity is only different by 200mAh. Now tell me those two phones didn't have a notable battery difference. Check out reviews and whatnot as well. Every bit counts. Also the 3pm thing is probably heavy usage. Which isn't an every day thing so it would make a good difference on most days!

yes.you are right, at least theorically, but isn't s6 using a 14nm SoC?
It has a similar battery than S4, wich isn't bad, and shoud be enough. Were are s6's problems comung from? SoT? Idle?
Next year we hopefully have improvements from qualcomm, not difficult after this shitty year.
ALso android M seems to deliver at leasat when phone is idle, that was one of the main issues with android. Even lollipop brought worse battery life on most devices compared to kitkat.

Dunno, i have to renew my wife's S4+. She doesn't want to, but soon it will be 2 years old and battery will start decreasing its quality. well i guess i can buy another one. But ican renew phone on one of my contracts in less than a month, and do not know what to do.
She wants a similar sized phone, and i want something comparable in performance, with similar or better battery life and fingerprint scanner.
My two options right now are s5 plus (SD805 and 2800mAh battery), wich i would lieave on Kit Kat since lollipop update makes it shitty , or S6 considering it will get M soon and may have better battery life. I'd go for s6 for its camera, and better fingerprint scanner, but those comments regarding battery life make me afraid, since she doesn't charge the phone until it is too late and ends up dying , so i need at least the same battery life she has now with her s4, which is acceptable. She only uses twitter, whatsapp, FB a little web browsing and Candy Crush.
Since no phones are better than my note 4 it is a skip year for me so or i change her phone now or i get a spare free phone like LG leon to have in a drawer. :(

Groof

It should be better, though. According to GSMarena, the S5 mini should last 8 hours (can't remember) just browsing the internet.

you also need to understand that they most likely run these tests on "clean" devices. meaning no excess apps that you probably use that chew up battery in the background.

kami_sama

In the end, I'm not buying a nexus this year (2015). If this year's end up being good I might buy them if they go down in price. If not, I'll wait until next year's.
In the end I'm buying an OPT. Has everything I want on a phone (except NFC that I wasn't gonna use). Only thing I'm scared of is the RMA process knowing all the horror histories.

yes.you are right, at least theorically, but isn't s6 using a 14nm SoC?
It has a similar battery than S4, wich isn't bad, and shoud be enough. Were are s6's problems comung from? SoT? Idle?
Next year we hopefully have improvements from qualcomm, not difficult after this shitty year.
ALso android M seems to deliver at leasat when phone is idle, that was one of the main issues with android. Even lollipop brought worse battery life on most devices compared to kitkat.

Dunno, i have to renew my wife's S4+. She doesn't want to, but soon it will be 2 years old and battery will start decreasing its quality. well i guess i can buy another one. But ican renew phone on one of my contracts in less than a month, and do not know what to do.
She wants a similar sized phone, and i want something comparable in performance, with similar or better battery life and fingerprint scanner.
My two options right now are s5 plus (SD805 and 2800mAh battery), wich i would lieave on Kit Kat since lollipop update makes it shitty , or S6 considering it will get M soon and may have better battery life. I'd go for s6 for its camera, and better fingerprint scanner, but those comments regarding battery life make me afraid, since she doesn't charge the phone until it is too late and ends up dying , so i need at least the same battery life she has now with her s4, which is acceptable. She only uses twitter, whatsapp, FB a little web browsing and Candy Crush.
Since no phones are better than my note 4 it is a skip year for me so or i change her phone now or i get a spare free phone like LG leon to have in a drawer. :(
If she doesn't want to then why not just just continue using the S4 and sit on the upgrade until the S7 comes out (which may be earlier than the S6 did) and then get that.

If not just get the S6. From what I gather it's the screen on time that seems to do the S6 in but yeah like everything it's heavily dependent on usage. I don't see it being terribly worse than the S4 but it's one of those things you never know until you try. Some people are fine and are able to get 3.5-4.5 SOT with whatever the hell they do on their phones. Any time I used the S6 I could only manage 2.5-3.5 (3.5 being a great day) :/

Gandalf

Well, waiting patiently for my N6P to come, my girlfriend decides to go out and buy me a OnePlus Two. GG. Saved me the best part of £500 (missed out on the Nexus though of course).

To be honest, I'm extremely grateful as I have an amazing girlfriend, and I actually don't mind the phone at all (64gb 4gb RAM version).
What are everyone's issues with it again?

kharma45

Well, waiting patiently for my N6P to come, my girlfriend decides to go out and buy me a OnePlus Two. GG. Saved me the best part of £500 (missed out on the Nexus though of course).

To be honest, I'm extremely grateful as I have an amazing girlfriend, and I actually don't mind the phone at all (64gb 4gb RAM version).

It being made by OnePlus. You'll have fun should anything ever go wrong.

-NFC. No Android Pay ever.
-Shitty customer service if any at all.
-The slowest charging in the history of mankind.
-Mediocre camera

I love how Android Pay is made up to be a big deal. I wonder when it's going to be available for the rest of the planet. You know, the tiny made up continents scattered around this globe, the ones the USA isn't part of.

Seriously, not having NFC for Android Pay is such a non-issue. At least put an asterisk behind it and narrow it down to the US market.

kami_sama

-Mediocre camera

- Not important outside the US.
- Yeah, it's right.
- While it lacks quickcharging, I charge at night, so I don't need it as much.
- I've seen a lot of good shots with the OPT, I know the camera software is buggy, but the hardware looks good.

In the end it's about compromises, as with everything android this year.

roytheone

-Mediocre camera

I have a oneplus 2 coming next week, and outside of shitty customer service, thankfully none of those issues bother me. NFC is not available here, I charge at night and I never really use the camera on my phone. Yeah, sure, a N6P, galaxy S6 and Motorola X pure are probably better phones, but they are also much more expensive, so comparing them is kind of unfair.

kami_sama

Wow that sucks. I wanted to root my Nexus 6P too smh.

It won't work outside a stock rom. That means no modifications whatsoever. Root, custom roms, or xposed are out. And I think it's normal, given the extra layer of security they have to add if they want banks to play nice.

I have a oneplus 2 coming next week, and outside of shitty customer service, thankfully none of those issues bother me. NFC is not available here, I charge at night and I never really use the camera on my phone. Yeah, sure, a N6P, galaxy S6 and Motorola X pure are probably better phones, but they are also much more expensive, so comparing them is kind of unfair.

It's not unfair when you advertise as The 2016 Flagship Killer and fall well short of even 2015.

roytheone

It's not unfair when you advertise as The 2016 Flagship Killer and fall well short of even 2015.

Well, when I was looking for a new phone, I compared the OP2 to other phones in its price range. Why would I care that it wasn't as good as other phones that were well beyond my budget? Those aren't an option anyway. I agree that their advertisement is stupid, but that shouldn't be a reason to choose/not choose a phone IMO.

giga

I love how Android Pay is made up to be a big deal. I wonder when it's going to be available for the rest of the planet. You know, the tiny made up continents scattered around this globe, the ones the USA isn't part of.

Seriously, not having NFC for Android Pay is such a non-issue. At least put an asterisk behind it and narrow it down to the US market.
It's not our fault the rest of the planet is still using old hat tech like EMV. USA moving the payments world forward, as usual.

Gandalf

-Mediocre camera

To be fair, if those are the main issues, then I'm cool with it.

Never used NFC, as I have a contactless card that I pay with. Customer service down the line may be an issue, but for now it shouldn't be a problem. I charge my phone overnight anyway, and the battery life so far has been a definite upgrade over my Nexus 5. Again, camera is an upgrade from my Nexus 5.

So far, I actually like it. Feels alot more premium than the OP1 (the one my GF has, why she got an invite).

teiresias

I still don't understand why Google doesn't let you order hardware via the store app on Android. More then once I've thought I'd order a new Chromecast and even a 6P but I'm on my phone. By the time I get back to my computer the compulsion has passed (well, my N5 is acting flakey, but still).

kami_sama

It's not our fault the rest of the planet is still using old hat tech like EMV. USA moving the payments world forward, as usual.

Ehhhhh, the USA is like ten years minimum behind Europe. We've had contactless payments for at least two years and chip and pin for a long time now.

I still don't understand why Google doesn't let you order hardware via the store app on Android. More then once I've thought I'd order a new Chromecast and even a 6P but I'm on my phone. By the time I get back to my computer the compulsion has passed (well, my N5 is acting flakey, but still).
Because they want all hardware sold through the Google Store. Google Play is exclusively for apps and entertainment now. Besides, you could just as easily go to store.google.com in the browser on your phone and buy a device quickly.

Saiyan-Rox

-Mediocre camera

Yeah...sure

If you don't live in the US atm no NFC = Meh.

The OP2 is a very decent phone if you want one - People in here are just really against it. only issue is it's a company ran by a bunch of children. But most phones these days have issues anyway or shortcomings.

No movement or news in regarding to the N6P or 5X yet? still considering cancelling mine.

tzare

If she doesn't want to then why not just just continue using the S4 and sit on the upgrade until the S7 comes out (which may be earlier than the S6 did) and then get that.

If not just get the S6. From what I gather it's the screen on time that seems to do the S6 in but yeah like everything it's heavily dependent on usage. I don't see it being terribly worse than the S4 but it's one of those things you never know until you try. Some people are fine and are able to get 3.5-4.5 SOT with whatever the hell they do on their phones. Any time I used the S6 I could only manage 2.5-3.5 (3.5 being a great day) :/

because that is how my contract with Vodafone Works, if i do nothing, i keep paying my note, if i renew phone i pay whatever i choose and stop paying my note 4. If i choose a simple phone like Lg leon or Galaxy core prime i pay nothing, or i can go for other models and pay whatever they ask for it monthly ,till next year when i will have to do the same. But i do not want to pay for a phone i won't use since i see nothing that beats my note 4 for me, and for her, well s5 plus or s6.
So i cannot wait for s7. If Z5 was smaller it would be perfect, or if z5c was bigger... but...

Ah, desicions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom