• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Definitely not noticing any battery improvements with M on my N5 so far. Guess its battery is just beyond all hope. This "doze" thing is pretty laughable, given that it has no effect if you are a person who actually uses your phone. Oh well.

And man, why is the 6P so damn ugly? The 5X looks ten times better to me, but is not as attractive otherwise. Oh well (again), they are priced beyond all reason in the EU anyway, so screw me for being European and wanting some Nexus goodness I suppose.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When I lived in Europe, I had no issue buying a Nexus 4, 10, 5, 9, and 6. If you want it, you can get it pretty easily enough. The Internet is magical. This year is even easier considering there's only one worldwide model of the 6P as far as I know.

edit: oh, yeah. Price is always a concern. Just wait a couple of months. They drop pretty quick.

Definitely not noticing any battery improvements with M on my N5 so far. Guess its battery is just beyond all hope. This "doze" thing is pretty laughable, given that it has no effect if you are a person who actually uses your phone. Oh well.

And man, why is the 6P so damn ugly? The 5X looks ten times better to me, but is not as attractive otherwise. Oh well (again), they are priced beyond all reason in the EU anyway, so screw me for being European and wanting some Nexus goodness I suppose.
why are you so damn ugly?

Hasney

It's not laughable considering it was the biggest issue with Lollipop. If you were expecting it to resurrect a 2 year old phone that will have a failing battery by now since you're someone who actually uses the phone and has to charge it more, then I don't know what to say.

Maiar_m

When I lived in Europe, I had no issue buying a Nexus 4, 10, 5, 9, and 6. If you want it, you can get it pretty easily enough. The Internet is magical. This year is even easier considering there's only one worldwide model of the 6P as far as I know.

edit: oh, yeah. Price is always a concern. Just wait a couple of months. They drop pretty quick.
Nope, there are two versions of the 6P. US and international.

tzare

i do not expect battery improvements when phone is in use,at least from OS. that should come via more efficent SOC's and screens. Not that cannot be improved, but actual core speed and balance doesn't seem that efficient, i use cpu spy and most of the cpu usage is or top speeds, or slowest ones (probably when idle doing something in the background) almost zero use for all other core speeds available. That is why i think big.little is pointless. I am no expert though, so i may be wrong. That is where dedicated dsp as ones found in new nexus devices come handy to offload main SoC and allow for more battery life.

Fedelias

As someone planning to be moving back and forth frequently between the UK and the US (permanent home in the US, university in the UK) for the next couple of years, how should I go about buying a new phone? Looking at the 6P, but will the US version work with UK sims+plans?

it's amateur hour

These are companies that don't seem to have any control over their supply chain or any relationship with carriers. They announce a phone and it'll get there when it gets there sometime soon. LG did it with the g4. It's sad because not even they know when their phone will launch so they don't provide any dates.

It's not even just phones. I still don't know when the Moto 360 is going to be available here. The local Moto Maker says Oct 26, but no online retailer has it listed yet. Keep in mind that Motorola "launched" it at IFA, in early September.

Neither. Not until they let me use two languages at the same time.

Yeah, that is such a killer feature for me. Although it feels like the hit detection got worse on Swift Key. It seems like I make more typos than before and the auto correction gets weird sometimes. I'm not sure what's the issue, but I'm definitely less happy with it.

kami_sama

Yeah, that is such a killer feature for me. Although it feels like the hit detection got worse on Swift Key. It seems like I make more typos than before and the auto correction gets weird sometimes. I'm not sure what's the issue, but I'm definitely less happy with it.
Yeah, SwiftKey has some issues. But it's the only keyboard that lets me type in both English and Spanish, without having to change any setting.

No Love

Banned

Replace your N5 battery, it's shot.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep, US model was interestingly priced but can't import because if those bands.
How come only Apple gets this right :/

I think the USA model will be ok. It just won't be as ok as my Nexus 6 international model. I'll test it out for a bit, I guess.

Kevyt

That's because you're late as fuck.

It's the last 2 minutes where the jitter starts.

I wonder if it's really going to take that long. I remember when I bought the gtx 970 there was like a month period until it shipped from amazon, but surprisingly it was only two weeks at most. This was Amazon and based Nvidia though.

This is my first time purchasing from Google.

Reckoner

Or I could just use the 6S+ I haven't bothered to open yet. Ugh.

I'll open it for you

Next year you'll be able to buy one for half the price. Don't be as dumb as I was last year, yo!

And the 6P isn't that ugly. It will grow on you. It's just different and that's a good thing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The problem with phones specifically in the android space is if they take so long to drop after they are announced + take a while to get out to customers depending upon demand that bumps you closer to the new hotness since we get the new hotness every 4-6 months in Android land.

This is the exact issue people had last year with the OPO. By time they got an invite did they even care?

Saiyan-Rox

Wierd, as it's the second security fix on 5.1.1 I get since M was released. Gotta wait some more.

OTA are something Google are still fucking around with even if it's just a security thing and can take weeks to reach you even after they say it's rolling out

I'm too lazy to post it but more samsung financials came out and we all know their actual sales of their smartphones have been dropping like stones but apparently this is their first time in a long time there has been a drop in shipments as well.

#projectNeedtoGetLucky

edit: hope you guys like 6penis delays. Global date was moved a week for carriers.

ekekekekkekekeke

Wreav

Banned
I'm too lazy to post it but more samsung financials came out and we all know their actual sales of their smartphones have been dropping like stones but apparently this is their first time in a long time there has been a drop in shipments as well.

#projectNeedtoGetLucky

edit: hope you guys like 6penis delays. Global date was moved a week for carriers.

ekekekekkekekeke

Carriers gonna be busy with Wave 2 of iPhones on the 26th.

#projectNeedtoGetLucky

ekekekekkekekeke

they have gotta use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I in their marketing campaign.. rite? rite!?!? RITE!?!?

Gandalf

As someone planning to be moving back and forth frequently between the UK and the US (permanent home in the US, university in the UK) for the next couple of years, how should I go about buying a new phone? Looking at the 6P, but will the US version work with UK sims+plans?

How about something dual-sim for convenience? My OP2 has it. If you can get an invite.

I use Material Dark too. Love it.

I know I posted some first impressions the other day, but I'm really liking this phone now. Does everything I need it to do, very fast, great battery (65% now, been using throughout the day since 8am, Nexus 5 would've been dead a couple of hours ago).

I think I'm going to upgrade next year, but this will do nicely until then.

Pyrokai

I'm buying a 6P in hopes that it will last me a very, very long time. 3-4 years. Is worrying about its battery longevity and how I can't remove it a real concern? Because it's making me reconsider my whole purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom