• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

I'm buying a 6P in hopes that it will last me a very, very long time. 3-4 years. Is worrying about its battery longevity and how I can't remove it a real concern? Because it's making me reconsider my whole purchase.

3-4 years is a long time.
I suggest you wait until iFixit has a look at the insides and gives it a serviceable score. That can tell you how easy or difficult it will be to replace the battery.

I don't think we are getting these phones shipped out until the week of 10/26

Pyrokai

I suggest you wait until iFixit has a look at the insides and gives it a serviceable score. That can tell you how easy or difficult it will be to replace the battery.

Oh boy....not quite the answer I wanted, haha. I did place my order late so I'm in the Nov. 18th crowd.

rc213

Like I said worst launch ever, Leaving everybody completely in the dark with just guesstimates of when you might see your phone.

I ordered before the page went live and it said oct 26 then it changed to nov 5-6.

SimleuqiR

Like I said worst launch ever, Leaving everybody completely in the dark with just guesstimates of when you might see your phone.

I ordered before the page went live and it said oct 26 then it changed to nov 5-6.

So you ordered while the page was just a deep link (hidden)? That's usually not a good idea. You don't know if all the "switches" have been turn on.

My Google Play account activity shows that the phone will leave their warehouse by 10/27. I placed my order once the official page went up.

HawkeyeIC

Mine has been Nov 5-6 ever since I ordered. Can't blame Google the rumors got out of control that devices were going to ship early (but we can blame them for announcing 4 weeks from the ship date...).

rc213

Mine has been Nov 5-6 ever since I ordered. Can't blame Google the rumors got out of control that devices were going to ship early (but we can blame them for announcing 4 weeks from the ship date...).

I'm not blaming them but it's been 2 weeks, They should be able to update us on a more solid date by now. They should've just gone with releasing until they had stock to ship and just take it down once they sold out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love how one site wrote about the Spotify Chromecast thing, and then they all just remixed that without thinking.

It's obvious why it works the way it does. Chromecast audio is premium only because all of Spots add are VIDEO now hence wanting you to have access to see the video on your mobile or TV. You can't show video on the Chromecast audio obviously.

I don't expect much from tech sites these days though.

how does Samsung do it?

i mean, we all know that Apple doers it, they've been doing it for a long time, but the past few years, Samsung has managed to have launch event after launch event with prices, dates, carrier lists, etc...

and even as their numbers slip, they still have a long way to go to hit 3rd place.

Hasney

I love how one site wrote about the Spotify Chromecast thing, and then they all just remixed that without thinking.

It's obvious why it works the way it does. Chromecast audio is premium only because all of Spots add are VIDEO now hence wanting you to have access to see the video on your mobile or TV. You can't show video on the Chromecast audio obviously.

Still does seem a bit weird since it works on PS4 with free access.

Yeah, SwiftKey has some issues. But it's the only keyboard that lets me type in both English and Spanish, without having to change any setting.

I use the default google keyboard and it toggles through each of my installed languages whenever I hit the globe button right on the keyboard.

Or are you saying your looking for something that just knows what language you're swiping without switching any settings?

hey now, it makes 100% sense to charge for audio only because of the decreased revenue, but if the hashtag mafia makes Spotify change their tune, it's good for consumers!

how does Samsung do it?

i mean, we all know that Apple doers it, they've been doing it for a long time, but the past few years, Samsung has managed to have launch event after launch event with prices, dates, carrier lists, etc...

and even as their numbers slip, they still have a long way to go to hit 3rd place.
The only thing samsung sucks at is having too big a gap between event and launch but that's something they could easily fix if they wanted to.

In the end it's about power and relationships with carriers. Samsung has power. Not apple level but the galaxy devices are the next highest selling in NA. Samsung also has a pretty robust supply chain that they seem to have control of so they know when they can have certain amount of supply ready for a certain region. Those 2 things are all it takes. You don't even need the power tbh, that's just bonus. A supply chain you can manage is all it really takes.

Jacir

Hello. I don't really need or want the base $30 T-Mobile plan since I didn't use that much mobile data when I tried the plan many months ago. Is there a way to get the same type of plan for $10-15 obviously for less calling and data? Should I just speak to the manager and see if I could get aa special deal? I still have the sim card from them in my moto G for months BTW.

Right, but it doesn't. I mean, it wouldn't be practical while playing a game.

honestly, this is the sort of thing that is probably beyond the control of Google and probably Spotify and all comes down to the recording industry contracts and the difference between audio only devices and devices that can display video.

Vanillalite

Right, but it doesn't. I mean, it wouldn't be practical while playing a game.

That's the same thing on my phone. I can click it to watch a short video add to not have to hear any more adds after for 30 mins. I can multitask out after starting the add too.

There is still the chance of seeing the video or staying in the app and having the video play.

That's impossible via Chromecast audio as the device can't play video at all. At least with the PS4 it can play the video ads even if a lot of the time you aren't in the app to see them.

Furyous

Apparently we're thinking of the 5X as tiny... not so fast.

MvNXErT.jpg

It looks similar to an LG G3.

If Sony didn't screw up the Z5 then that would win me over. *sad face*

Samsung Game Tuner

A truly useful piece of software? From Samsung? Color me surprised, too, but the company's new Game Tuner app is nothing short of incredibly handy for mobile gamers. As you may well know, playing visually-intensive games on your smartphone can demolish the battery fairly quickly. While most such games render at 1080p even on 2K displays like Samsung's, such resolutions can be big draws on both your remaining juice and your device's processor, causing throttling (and thus slowdowns) and excessive power drain. Samsung's new app lets you have a say in just how graphically hungry those games will be, allowing you to adjust maximum frame rate and resolution scaling.

For example, Hearthstone for Android on a Galaxy S6 edge+ renders at, near as I can tell, 1080p natively. With Samsung's Game Tuner app, you can turn that up to a full 1440p (aka 2K and probably not a great idea!), or all the way down to around 480p. The difference is very real. The frame rate can be adjusted from 15 to 60FPS.

oh snap.

also, 5X and 6P have double tap home for camera?

THANKS SAM!!!

SimleuqiR

MvNXErT.jpg

Yup, is not as compact as the N5.

Samsung Game Tuner

oh snap.

also, 5X and 6P have double tap home for camera?

THANKS SAM!!!

I thought it was double tap the "power button" not the home button.

So it's double twist the phone in your wrist

or

Double tap the power button
VVVVVVV
Yeah Game Tuner seems great.

The camera thing is actually double tap of the power button or double wrist flick like Moto devices.

kami_sama

Posting from a OPT! The hardware is awesome and the fingerprint sensor works flawlessly. I thought it was going to take at least one week to arrive home, but it only took two days. I bought it Monday.
Only flaw, for now, is a slight delay in the hardware home button.

Maiar_m

MvNXErT.jpg

That was the final strike on the N5X IMO, when I learned that it wasn't even truly compact. If I'm supposed to go huge, at least make it worth it (6P then)

First Carl Pei from OnePlus was begging to be an intern at Samsung a few weeks ago and now they are giving OnePlus 2s to people who trade in current year Galaxy smart phones for no additional cost lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
First Carl Pei from OnePlus was begging to be an intern at Samsung a few weeks ago and now they are giving OnePlus 2s to people who trade in current year Galaxy smart phones for no additional cost lol
Good deal for One Minus.

M_A_C

Just got a OnePlus 2 invite randomly in my email today. Reading up on it, I don't want it right? Will it get Marshmallow? Was thinking of getting a 6P after reviews come out, or just sticking with my iPhone 6+.

EDIT: VVV Thanks guys!

Reckoner

Just got a OnePlus 2 invite randomly in my email today. Reading up on it, I don't want it right? Will it get Marshmallow? Was thinking of getting a 6P after reviews come out, or just sticking with my iPhone 6+.

Stay safe with your 6+

Wait for the new phones with SD820 next year.

Jigolo

MvNXErT.jpg

So disappointing as I've stated before. Add that 5.2" screen and external speakers the way Sony does it (and N9 does it), 820 and make the device more ergonomic than the N5 was (aka curve the sides) but keep the same dimensions (maybe make it a little thinner). All that shit fits in the body of the N5. Instead we're going backwards design wise and copying the shitty bezels of iPhones

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

EDIT: VVV Thanks guys!
Lol

Vanillalite

Finally got an update to pop on my N7 2013...

It's a fucking 9.8 meg update for 5.1.1 for like the 7th OTA for 5.1.1 :|

Ton of people on XDA just got the same shit. Everyone is like wtf Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom