• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

6P against Moto X Pure

CRd7rnfUcAASo5I.jpg
I can juussst about use my Moto X one handed, I think the 6p would be a shade too big.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know someone with the Nexus 6P already. It's magical. Good phone but if you're short on cash, get the N6 for $300. Before you guys start asking questions

EV1snke.jpg

Separate lines, please!

Also,
the display panel stinks

Back to the office.

Reckoner

I know someone with the Nexus 6P already. It's magical. Good phone but if you're short on cash, get the N6 for $300. Before you guys start asking questions

Separate lines, please!

Also,
the display panel stinks

Back to the office.

Lol that spoiler. I wanted to believe, but looks like Google screwed up again. Not gonna buy another phone like that. Could only use it if I had to install custom roms and tweak it like the Nexus 6, so I won't even bother!!!

Kevyt

I'm really falling in love with the Moto E.

I'm using Skype, listening to music, looking at Instagram, Hangouts, browsing on Chrome with up to 8 tabs open and the petite phone is able to handle all of it.

It's a shame Motorola won't bring this device to Marshmallow.

As far as temperature, the Moto E doesn't go above 100 Fahrenheit doing all of this, and there is no slow down while using Chrome.

My Moto X Pure would go to 112 Fahrenheit doing all of this and throttle really bad that was very noticeable while switching between apps and using Chrome. Hmmm...

I'm using Skype, listening to music, looking at Instagram, Hangouts, browsing on Chrome with up to 8 tabs open and the petite phone is able to handle all of it.

As far as temperature, the Moto E doesn't go above 90 Fahrenheit doing all of this, and there is no slow down while using Chrome.

My Moto X Pure would go to 112 Fahrenheit doing all of this and throttle really bad that was very noticeable while switching between apps and using Chrome. Hmmm...

808 and 810 processors are horrible.

Can I just say that one of my biggest pet peeves since going back to android from iphone is the stupid ass headphone jack being at the top? I know some OEMs do the right thing and put it on the bottom but goddamn moto pls lol. Shit is such a hassle to pull it out of my pocket and use it with the wire just hanging there. Makes no sense.

The 6P display looks good to me in that picture with the Note 5. Obviously not the same quality, but colors look very similar across both with minor differences.

Can I just say that one of my biggest pet peeves since going back to android from iphone is the stupid ass headphone jack being at the top? I know some OEMs do the right thing and put it on the bottom but goddamn moto pls lol. Shit is such a hassle to pull it out of my pocket and use it with the wire just hanging there. Makes no sense.
Yeah, I hate headphone jacks on the top too. I don't get how anyone could think it's better than putting it in the bottom.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you.

JoeFu

Banned
LG knows whats up and puts it on the bottom. Does Samsung no longer put it on the bottom? I remember the Galaxy Nexus was the first thing I ever owned that had the jack on bottom, I have been a believer since then

LG knows whats up and puts it on the bottom. Does Samsung no longer put it on the bottom? I remember the Galaxy Nexus was the first thing I ever owned that had the jack on bottom, I have been a believer since then

Samsung still does I believe, just Google and Moto still put it at the top I believe.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with you.
lol it's one thing for the volume buttons to be on the same side of the power button, MAYBE some (weird) few prefer that...but no human can prefer headphone jack at the top because it's factually worse from a usability/ergonomics standpoint.

Why do they do it? They just don't care. Also it's even sillier when the android phone is big.

lol it's one thing for the volume buttons to be on the same side of the power button, MAYBE some (weird) few prefer that...but no human can prefer headphone jack at the top because it's factually worse from a usability/ergonomics standpoint.

Why do they do it? They just don't care. Also it's even sillier when the android phone is big.
Headphone jack on the bottom is meh, power and volume on the same side is a felony.

Another pet peeve since switching back is there are still a bunch of apps that are inferior in the android version compared to the ios app. Kind of annoying. I use the outlook app on ios and android because it's my fave mail app and plays really well with my work email but man the ios one is way more polished than android one. It's not TERRIBLE. The gap used to be big, but it's still worse. Some other apps too.

SimleuqiR

I just got a Google Now card with "location info" about the restaurant I was just at.

I've started to get weather updates in the lockscreen every morning from Now. Pretty useful. Don't even need to unlock the phone.

I hope the new Android Zhar puts more emphasis on Now.

Yeah, have they gone backwards? It looks worse than a Z3 camera.
That is quite the accomplishment. My Z3 camera is terrible all things considered.

Also as a Z3 owner I would even say a 7/10 for design is way too much for an Z phone. Xperias look amazing in promo pics, terrible to use. A slippery and fragile mess that is all style no substance.

Noema

As far as temperature, the Moto E doesn't go above 100 Fahrenheit doing all of this, and there is no slow down while using Chrome.

I really like my Moto G (2013). Specially after flashing the GPE ROM on it, it's smooth, it's running 5.1, battery life is phenomenal and it runs so much better than 4.4.4 ever did. AFAIK the newer Moto E is even faster than the older Moto Gs.

It's the 1GB of RAM that makes me want to get a new phone. If this exact same phone had 2GB and a better camera (camera is bad as it is, but the GPE ROM is even worse, since it can't use HDR) I'd honestly be able to hold on to it for a year. But it doesn't so now I have the upgrade itch. Nexus 6 is real tempting.

Ixian

Thankfully, as others have pointed out, Samsung puts the headphone jack on the bottom, but this post prompted me to see where the headphone jack is on the Nexus 6P (since I was kind of interested in it) and now I feel sad. Maybe the LG V10 will be good!

Yeah, have they gone backwards? It looks worse than a Z3 camera.
Based on reviews, it sounds like they've regressed in terms of software too. :\ I loved my Z3 up to the point where it fell out of my pocket and shattered and was hoping the Z5 would be as smooth and with a good camera, but it sounds disappointing.

Thankfully, as others have pointed out, Samsung puts the headphone jack on the bottom, but this post prompted me to see where the headphone jack is on the Nexus 6P (since I was kind of interested in it) and now I feel sad. Maybe the LG V10 will be good!

Based on reviews, it sounds like they've regressed in terms of software too. :\ I loved my Z3 up to the point where it fell out of my pocket and shattered and was hoping the Z5 would be as smooth and with a good camera, but it sounds disappointing.
the reasons to support samsung are increasing. Normal sized flagship with flagship specs. They support older phones (just takes forever). Only thing is that pesky touchwiz.

Saiyan-Rox

Sony finally put up that leather strap adapter for the SW3

30 for the strap and adapter. Bought that sucker right away. Finally get rid of this horrible rubber strap.

So, at this moment what are the best 3 android phones independent of money? Excluding the nexus. Thanks!

S6/Note 5 (I consider them the same it's just normal/phablet).
Moto X line (play for budget and pure for not)
Other (OP2/Z5 compact).

I think that's a fair assessment.

HTC sucks, LG isn't worth it, Sony never releases phones.

S6/Note 5 (I consider them the same it's just normal/phablet).
Moto X line (play for budget and pure for not)
Other (OP2/Z5 compact).

I think that's a fair assessment.

HTC sucks, LG isn't worth it, Sony never releases phones.

What makes the LG G4 not worth it over the OPT or Z5 or even the Moto?

One is from a shitty and shady company, the other might as well leave the market and the last one is on its way down again.

Hasney

Have you got any horror stories?

Well they're now run by Capita which is notorious in itself. They just want to make the stats go up, they tend to treat customer service second, but anyway.

Sent in my S4 since it had the pretty common faulty USB issue 3 months in. They said because the Samsung logo on the back was slightly scratched, it was clearly user fault... Like the two are somehow related. Took 4 weeks and several calls being told "it'll be sent out tomorrow" before they actually fucking sent it back. Tried emailing before that but I never received anything back outside the auto email.

To be fair, Samsung themselves weren't great before that when I had TV issues, since all 2005 models used cheap transistors that expanded and stopped working after 3 years. Wouldn't replace them at first and wanted £300 to repair with the same shitty power board. Got some guy on eBay to repair it sending him the motherboard for £50 and it had much better transistors. Still working to this day.

What makes the LG G4 not worth it over the OPT or Z5 or even the Moto?

One is from a shitty and shady company, the other might as well leave the market and the last one is on its way down again.
LG lacks fingerprint sensor and has one of the shittiest skins OF ALL TIME. OP2 might be a garbage a company but at least their shit is cheap so you're salvaging solid quality phone for a lower price.

I feel like the G4 doesn't have a selling point. What would it be? Moto is good value, as is OP2. What do you get with the g4? A pretty good camera I guess but it's still a high priced phone. It's just not worth it. Not even being worth considered over something like the Note 5. In fact I'd argue that the existence of the Note 5 renders the G4 meaningless. It's inferior in literally every single way.

Argyle

Oneplus one, note 5, note 4.

I would almost recommend the OnePlus One until mine turned into a OneMinus One when the touchscreen decided it was going to start touching itself randomly, making it more or less unusable.

This after the frequent reboots caused by a bug where they didn't initialize the system correctly which didn't get fixed for months...I think that was the end of any goodwill I had towards them. The Nexus 6, for all its flaws, has been a huge upgrade over the OneMinus One, and if you were making the choice today is a total no-brainer at $300.

Ixian

the reasons to support samsung are increasing. Normal sized flagship with flagship specs. They support older phones (just takes forever). Only thing is that pesky touchwiz.
Fortunately, modern TouchWiz isn't bad in terms of aesthetics and functionality (opinions may differ of course), but I still get agitated when my phone hiccups in ways I know it shouldn't and didn't with my Xperia Z3 and Droid Maxx before it; not to mention the terrible battery life on the S6. Definitely looking forward to seeing what lessons Samsung's learned from the S6 when they bring out the S7; in the meanwhile I'm kinda tempted to pick up an iPhone 6S+ to mess around with for a while, but there's a lot of stuff I'd miss from Android especially since I'm not invested in the Apple ecosystem anymore aside from still using a Macbook Air for a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom