• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LG lacks fingerprint sensor and has one of the shittiest skins OF ALL TIME. OP2 might be a garbage a company but at least their shit is cheap so you're salvaging solid quality phone for a lower price.

I feel like the G4 doesn't have a selling point. What would it be? Moto is good value, as is OP2. What do you get with the g4? A pretty good camera I guess but it's still a high priced phone. It's just not worth it. Not even being worth considered over something like the Note 5. In fact I'd argue that the existence of the Note 5 renders the G4 meaningless. It's inferior in literally every single way.

You're fucking crazy.

You're fucking crazy.
I think the UX ranks up there in ugliness with touchwiz. Other than weird memory issues with touchwiz I consider touchwiz in 2015 to be superior to UX. I can't think of a skin worse.

Don't see how anyone can defend ux. Shit is trash. Straight up. Even touchwiz with its issues has redeeming qualities. And I don't even like samsung.

I would almost recommend the OnePlus One until mine turned into a OneMinus One when the touchscreen decided it was going to start touching itself randomly, making it more or less unusable.

This after the frequent reboots caused by a bug where they didn't initialize the system correctly which didn't get fixed for months...I think that was the end of any goodwill I had towards them. The Nexus 6, for all its flaws, has been a huge upgrade over the OneMinus One, and if you were making the choice today is a total no-brainer at $300.

My touchscreen was doing that once in awhile while it was in my pocket for some reason, but it's been fixed for awhile now. Best thing to do is just dump their software and go to nightlies. As long as you do that it's still a nice phone, especially if you can get one for under $250.

Hasney

Fortunately, modern TouchWiz isn't bad in terms of aesthetics and functionality (opinions may differ of course), but I still get agitated when my phone hiccups in ways I know it shouldn't and didn't with my Xperia Z3 and Droid Maxx before it; not to mention the terrible battery life on the S6. Definitely looking forward to seeing what lessons Samsung's learned from the S6 when they bring out the S7.

I'd judge the battery life after it gets M. Most things were bad under Lollipop.

You're fucking crazy.

Nah, he's on point here.

LG lacks fingerprint sensor and has one of the shittiest skins OF ALL TIME. OP2 might be a garbage a company but at least their shit is cheap so you're salvaging solid quality phone for a lower price.

I feel like the G4 doesn't have a selling point. What would it be? Moto is good value, as is OP2. What do you get with the g4? A pretty good camera I guess but it's still a high priced phone. It's just not worth it. Not even being worth considered over something like the Note 5. In fact I'd argue that the existence of the Note 5 renders the G4 meaningless. It's inferior in literally every single way.

Removable battery? SD Card? I personally don't give a shit about those but alot of people do. Plus the G4 is cheap right now, you can't say it's high priced.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'd judge the battery life after it gets M. Most things were bad under Lollipop.

Nah, he's on point here.

He said worst of all time.

No he isn't. That would mean it's as bad or worse than like every Android stock or skin before 4.0.

Not to mention they didn't even say why it is bad.

cocopuffs

Banned
I think the UX ranks up there in ugliness with touchwiz. Other than weird memory issues with touchwiz I consider touchwiz in 2015 to be superior to UX. I can't think of a skin worse.

Don't see how anyone can defend ux. Shit is trash. Straight up. Even touchwiz with its issues has redeeming qualities. And I don't even like samsung.
Got an LG G2 and while I don't know if it's the ugliest skin (Touchwiz is high up there), it's pretty ugly. Only good Android is pure stock Android. Every single manufacturer skin just serves to make Android worse (please come in Nexus 6P and save me from this hideous phone).

Removable battery? SD Card? I personally don't give a shit about those but alot of people do. Plus the G4 is cheap right now, you can't say it's high priced.
I guess but I like that samsung put 32gb in the base models so it makes it a lot easier to swallow. I figure the removable battery crowd is really niche. But don't the moto phones have those as well?

The way I look at buying phones is "what's the reason someone would buy this?". S6 I see top of the line hardware and good support. The OnePlusses/Motos/other cheaper phones I see just that...value. Z5 compact I see size with solid specs. But what do I see with the G4? I really don't see anything it has over anyone, and it has some things way worse than others, like UX.

What does the LG G4 have that someone else doesn't that makes it worth paying whatever you pay to get it. I just don't see why anyone would get it tbh.

Nicktendo86

Another pet peeve since switching back is there are still a bunch of apps that are inferior in the android version compared to the ios app. Kind of annoying. I use the outlook app on ios and android because it's my fave mail app and plays really well with my work email but man the ios one is way more polished than android one. It's not TERRIBLE. The gap used to be big, but it's still worse. Some other apps too.
The android watsapp app is much better, I spent ages but couldn't work out how to change the background on the ios one.

Reckoner

There are people that actually like the headphone jack on top. But isn't that annoying. Even when going to the gym doing some cycling that shit pisses me off so much. One of the annoyances of the Nexus 6 for me.

Btw, I'm starting to believe that the N5X is actually a really good purchase for you folks in the US. It's almost the same price as the Moto X Pure and you get updates, a better looking phone, and a good display. Can't really go wrong as long as the 808 on it is tamed. Can't say the same for Europeans. Paying over 500 euros is not a good deal, and the Moto X Pure wins the contest over here ez.

Mindwipe

There are people that actually like the headphone jack on top. But isn't that annoying. Even when going to the gym doing some cycling that shit pisses me off so much. One of the annoyances of the Nexus 6 for me.

Nope. It means you can put your finger under the phone for stability.

Furyous

And here are some icon packs with similar shape in case you were looking.

Influx

Belle UI

Thanks! I was looking for this.

Sidenote: I'm torn between the 5X and Z5. 5X has stock Android but the Z5 has everything else I want but costs a lot more.

Hmm... maybe I should wait for the Z5+ in a few months with the SD820? Really undecided about this.

Reckoner

Nope. It means you can put your finger under the phone for stability.

Meh. I don't think it interferes that much honestly. Never had trouble.

This fucking thread

No they aren't

What mate. I had the phone, I have my opinion. I don't feel good spending so much on a phone that doesn't even have basic stuff calibrated out of the box. That's ridiculous. And yes, it bother me a lot, because I have all my screens calibrated because they give me an option, except freaking Google phones. At least give people sliders to fix it without installing custom roms.

VoxPop

LG is the poor man's Samsung as the a Samsung is the poor man's iPhone.

Argyle

My touchscreen was doing that once in awhile while it was in my pocket for some reason, but it's been fixed for awhile now. Best thing to do is just dump their software and go to nightlies. As long as you do that it's still a nice phone, especially if you can get one for under $250.

I have it sitting on a shelf plugged in and it will do that at random. No pocket necessary. Glad I don't have to use it anymore.

I think if you really HAVE to switch to nightlies for stability (!!!) that's a pretty good indication that the software is crap and the phone is going to be unsuitable for 99% of users.

VoxPop

No I meant more in the sense that Samsung copies everything Apple does while LG tries to copy everything that Samsung does.

EmiPrime

Well they're now run by Capita which is notorious in itself. They just want to make the stats go up, they tend to treat customer service second, but anyway.

Sent in my S4 since it had the pretty common faulty USB issue 3 months in. They said because the Samsung logo on the back was slightly scratched, it was clearly user fault... Like the two are somehow related. Took 4 weeks and several calls being told "it'll be sent out tomorrow" before they actually fucking sent it back. Tried emailing before that but I never received anything back outside the auto email.

To be fair, Samsung themselves weren't great before that when I had TV issues, since all 2005 models used cheap transistors that expanded and stopped working after 3 years. Wouldn't replace them at first and wanted £300 to repair with the same shitty power board. Got some guy on eBay to repair it sending him the motherboard for £50 and it had much better transistors. Still working to this day.

That's the problem with most (all?) of these OEMs, they contract out their repair services to crappy third parties who do horrible work with long turnaround times. When I dropped my Nexus 5 and cracked the screen I called the repair centre that has the LG contract and they asked for an extortionate repair fee and it would have meant being without a phone for at least two weeks.

The entire Android customer service experience in the UK is utter wank. It's almost reason enough to go with Apple instead.

VPhys

I know someone with the Nexus 6P already. It's magical. Good phone but if you're short on cash, get the N6 for $300. Before you guys start asking questions

Separate lines, please!

Also,
the display panel stinks

Back to the office.

Whats about about the 6P display? Is it the viewing angles?

Hmm wondering if I should stick with iphone 6S or keep my 6p preorder. 6S has a relatively low resolution display which kind of annoys me.

Hasney

That's the problem with most (all?) of these OEMs, they contract out their repair services to crappy third parties who do horrible work with long turnaround times. When I dropped my Nexus 5 and cracked the screen I called the repair centre that has the LG contract and they asked for an extortionate repair fee and it would have meant being without a phone for at least two weeks.

The entire Android customer service experience in the UK is utter wank. It's almost reason enough to go with Apple instead.

Yeah, the fact that I could walk into an Apple store and even get a replacement phone out of warranty for £70 like I did with the 4S was almost enough for me to go back. Was seriously considering it and I had grown to despise using iOS.

Kuros

If you get a device off the play store Google are fucking fantastic.

EmiPrime

Yeah, the fact that I could walk into an Apple store and even get a replacement phone out of warranty for £70 like I did with the 4S was almost enough for me to go back. Was seriously considering it and I had grown to despise using iOS.

Yep that's the problem. iOS 6 was the last time iOS was ahead of Android.

If you get a device off the play store Google are fucking fantastic.

I did. They told me I was on my own because it had been a year.

Hmm wondering if I should stick with iphone 6S or keep my 6p preorder. 6S has a relatively low resolution display which kind of annoys me.

Probably the calibration. Check out Bobo's pictures on the last page comparing the 6P to the Note 5. They use the same panel, but the color saturation is different. I personally prefer the 6P.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Calibration. Color distortion at angles. Samsung, quit being stingy with your true doge displays.

Mindwipe

Yeah, the repair service from Sony on my Z3C was fucking atrocious.

CronoShot

what made you do it
Well my original plan was to order both the 5X and 6P, then keep the one I liked more and return the other. But I already have a Note 5 (I just wanted a Nexus for updates and as a backup phone), so I felt like getting another 5.7" phone was a bit redundant. Having a smaller, lighter 5X will complement the Note 5 better, I think. Plus it's cheaper.

Furyous

I'll probably just sell mine. I hope I can make $100-$200.

Go for it as reselling isn't scalping. Even it was scalping let the sanctimonious cries from those bashing you wash away in the money you earned. LOOOOL at someone chastizing you for completing a legal transaction. The nerve of some people is amusing.

Well my original plan was to order both the 5X and 6P, then keep the one I liked more and return the other. But I already have a Note 5 (I just wanted a Nexus for updates and as a backup phone), so I felt like getting another 5.7" phone was a bit redundant. Having a smaller, lighter 5X will complement the Note 5 better, I think. Plus it's cheaper.
That makes sense. There's not much at all the 6P could've offered you over the Note 5 outside of fast updates and best community support.

Kevyt

I was thinking of cancelling my Nexus 6p but the 8 megapixel HDR+ front camera has pretty much sold it for me.

I love me some good selfies. o/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom