• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
I thought it was the same as the Note5 just with a different calibration?

Maaaaybe the panel is the same? But I'm not crazy, it has the same hue shift change when looking off angle. I don't recall the s6 or Note 5 doing this

Look, its not a big deal. The biggest issue with last year's N6 display was its out-of-box saturation and white balance. Both are improved quite a bit. Not drastic, but obviously better.

I have compares, but don't know if I'm allowed to share.

Edit: The camera is vastly improved though. Although the image would shake more on the N6P in the viewfinder, the image actually looked more stable in the final. So eh.

Edit 2: The display of the 5X looks better calibrated than the N6P imo. Though off angle color saturation and black levels are hurt bad, looking dead on, its fucking gorgeous. Imagine the N5 but with atad more contrast, teensy bit warmer panel, and a teensy bit more contrast. Reminded me of the M8.

Edit 3: N6P has some monstrous sized top / bottom bezels :-/ The trade off though is its much easier to hold vs the N6, one-handed. Phone is lighter too. The camera hump is damn near non existent unless the light catches the lip a certain way or you look at it from the side.

Edit 4; Device setup is worse. Doesn't use NFC for some reason. Made us do a Bluetooth detection first by launching the Google settings app on the source phone. Wtf Google.

SimleuqiR

Playing with the N6p. The panel is not as good as the note 5 or Galaxy s6.

Looks like a better calibrated OG n6 display.

Read: it looks just fine

Edit: off angle viewing gives hue changes

Camera wise its not even close. Lol, I can't believe how much more light the P model lets into its shots. Detail is substantially higher. Though I encountered some moire in high detail sections of an image.

Color and white balance too look much closer to the real thing.

Latest panels my ass.
I guess we will find out for sure when ifixit takes it apart.

this_guy

Maaaaybe the panel is the same? But I'm not crazy, it has the same hue shift change when looking off angle. I don't recall the s6 or Note 5 doing this

Look, its not a big deal. The biggest issue with last year's N6 display was its out-of-box saturation and white balance. Both are improved quite a bit. Not drastic, but obviously better.

I have compares, but don't know if I'm allowed to share.

Edit: The camera is vastly improved though. Although the image would shake more on the N6P in the viewfinder, the image actually looked more stable in the final. So eh.

Edit 2: The display of the 5X looks better calibrated than the N6P imo. Though off angle color saturation and black levels are hurt bad, looking dead on, its fucking gorgeous. Imagine the N5 but with atad more contrast, teensy bit warmer panel, and a teensy bit more contrast. Reminded me of the M8.

Edit 3: N6P has some monstrous sized top / bottom bezels :-/ The trade off though is its much easier to hold vs the N6, one-handed. Phone is lighter too. The camera hump is damn near non existent unless the light catches the lip a certain way or you look at it from the side.

Edit 4; Device setup is worse. Doesn't use NFC for some reason. Made us do a Bluetooth detection first by launching the Google settings app on the source phone. Wtf Google.

What's your opinion of the 5x vs 6p? I still haven't pulled the trigger on either. 6p body in the 5x size would have been ideal.

kinggroin

Banned
What's your opinion of the 5x vs 6p? I still haven't pulled the trigger on either. 6p body in the 5x size would have been ideal.

They are so different I can't really just say this one or that one. Size, speakers, display tech

You have to have your own priority.

Both were fast and both took amazing shots.

Furyous

I know that many people think the 6P is a "no brainer" and I pre-ordered with the hype....but man.....I'm freaking out a little bit. It's $500 + $37 tax. I could get a Moto X or 5X for ~$200 less.

Why should I not cancel and switch my order? I mean.....are the upgraded camera, processor, and finger print reader (regards to Moto X) worth all that?

Also, like I said earlier, I am very worried about the battery life dying on me after a year or two. I would like to keep the 6P for 3 to 4 years if possible. I mean, $500 is a huge investment for me because I'm super poor. But I guess none of these phones have replaceable battery, do they?

There's no guarantee given Motorola's recent track record of updates that the Moto X 2015 receives a 2017 upgrade to Android Orange Julius or whatever the same is called.

I'd say to go with the 6P since you're using it as a personal computer. It has the better camera, better display, and larger storage space.

iverge The verge reviews the Z5/Z5C

KG thanks for the comparisons between devices. The fact that blacks don't look black enough, no c_s_m, is a bad look for the 5X since it's apparently the size of the LG G3. 6P looks like the better device to me at this point anyway even for one handed use.

SimleuqiR

I mean, it very well could be for all I know, but the reviewer and myself agreed it doesn't look at amazing as Samsung's setup. Maybe the glass coating? Who knows.

Maybe it's the latest Samsung panel that Samsung offers to other oems? And not necessarily the latest panel which is used exclusively in the Galaxy and Note.

There is actually a video of the two units together (6P & Note 5)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_V6eNODq-A

You can tell the Note 5 has a brighter display.

Thanks for the impressions, kinggroin! If the 6p isn't using the same panels as the S6/Note 5, what Galaxy device would you say it's closest to? S5 maybe? Also good to know that the camera actually is good, for those that care.

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks for the impressions, kinggroin! If the 6p isn't using the same panels as the S6/Note 5, what Galaxy device would you say it's closest to? S5 maybe? Also good to know that the camera actually is good, for those that care.

S5 and N6 OG mixed (viewing angle wise). It's more than acceptable.

Man I'm being tempted to buy one of those Nexus 6s for $300 again even though I know they are horrible due to the band 12 and WiFi calling on T-Mobile.

Kevyt

S5 and N6 OG mixed (viewing angle wise). It's more than acceptable.

So as you are setting up the device, taking pics and opening apps (perhaps they're updating, during the initial setup?) how does the device feel in terms of temperature? Or is it to early to tell?

Does it run hot, warm, or....?

Idk, I'm a bit wary of the SD810.

There's no guarantee given Motorola's recent track record of updates that the Moto X 2015 receives a 2017 upgrade to Android Orange Julius or whatever the same is called.

I'd say to go with the 6P since you're using it as a personal computer. It has the better camera, better display, and larger storage space.

KG thanks for the comparisons between devices. The fact that blacks don't look black enough, no c_s_m, is a bad look for the 5X since it's apparently the size of the LG G3. 6P looks like the better device to me at this point anyway even for one handed use.

We gotta stop linking this shitty ass site. 7 for design because you dropped the phone? lol get thee fuck out of here

HawkeyeIC

Screen is good enough
Camera sounds great

Waiting on battery life and any overheating issues. Feeling confident I made the right choice.

kinggroin

Banned
So as you are setting up the device, taking pics and opening apps (perhaps they're updating, during the initial setup?) how does the device feel in terms of temperature? Or is it to early to tell?

Does it run hot, warm, or....?

Idk, I'm a bit wary of the SD810.

Both max brightness, my N6 OG actually got warmer faster while taking pics.

Not exactly scientific, but that's all I really have for you, lol.

I don't want to make a call on OS performance because the N6P was updating apps and migrating an account over while taking shots. It was slower than the N6 by a fair margin. You HAVE to expect that though. The 805 CPU isn't so far behind the 810 that the later being overloaded would still allow for a win.

Team small wins again. GG. Camera looks great. The rest looks like shit. User experience is not at the top of Sony's priority list.

Kevyt

I don't want to make a call on OS performance because the N6P was updating apps and migrating an account over while taking shots. It was slower than the N6 by a fair margin. You HAVE to expect that though. The 805 CPU isn't so far behind the 810 that the later being overloaded would still allow for a win.

That's really good to know! Thanks. Honestly all I care is whether the phone overheats or not. Performance, I don't really expect much from the SD810, but it should be okay.

805 actually performs better in some benchmarks than 810 like 3dmark.

A glass back isn't good design though. Maybe a couple years ago it was the new hotness but in late 2015...don't think so. Unless it's really really strong glass.

It can break easily. It attracts too many fingerprints. It's slippery. And more I'm sure.

clav

A glass back isn't good design though. Maybe a couple years ago it was the new hotness but in late 2015...don't think so. Unless it's really really strong glass.

It can break easily. It attracts too many fingerprints. It's slippery. And more I'm sure.

Yeah, fragile design no matter what people say. The trend of cracked iPhones from back to front is now over thanks to the new body. Now, it's just the front.

Why does everyone else want to return to that design?

Premium build?

:lol

Reckoner

Samsung released all their recent flagships with glass backs. S7 probably will be glass too. Glass will be here for at least another year on "Premium" phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So if we can get Snap 8XX or similar performance in sub $300 phones now where does that leave Qualcomm with their 6XX lineup?

I mean what's the point? You'd keep the 4XX lineup for the super cheap entry level phones like the Moto E. I just fail to see where that slots the 6XX lineup.

Kuros

I don't really care about the glass back thing tbh. I survived with a 4s for three years.

What i do care about is the poor performance mentioned in the review. If that's really the case that's absolutely shocking from Sony (or it's the 810 being shit)

I'm sure they'll update it and say they're working on performance but realistically stuff like that never gets fixed.

Hasney

Wait, is this because of heating and downclocking? Are they testing the 810 in a tablet form factor?

Don't forget that the way they've got the better cooling version in the OP2 is by only having 2 big cores active at one time. I think that's Qualcomms solution to keep the heat down rather than just something they did for the OP2.

Furyous

We gotta stop linking this shitty ass site. 7 for design because you dropped the phone? lol get thee fuck out of here

The fact that he broke the Z5 so easily is worthy of a 7 for design. Maybe have a seperate durability metric and place the 7 there. Either way a reviewer cracking the Z5 is insane because people had issues with the Z3.

The verge is a great site so I fail to see how banning the site for not fluffing every Android flagship is good for people looking for a new device. I miss the site's heyday during the Josh run.

this_guy

The verge is a great site so I fail to see how banning the site for not fluffing every Android flagship is good for people looking for a new device. I miss the site's heyday during the Josh run.

No, it's a horrible site with click bait articles and writing. It was great when it first started.

SimleuqiR

LOL, when was the last time you read the site? 2 Years ago?

When they reviewed the Photos apps and reviewed the old version of the app instead of the one that was announced at I/O, they lost all respect from me.

That's probably one of the least offensive things they've done...I'm sure.

Hasney

spikybracelt-e1428959374650.png

#NeverForget

Quixzlizx

When they reviewed the Photos apps and reviewed the old version of the app instead of the one that was announced at I/O, they lost all respect from me.

That's probably one of the least offensive things they've done...I'm sure.

Don't forget when they compared subsidized 6s prices vs non-subsidized android phone prices, and then defended themselves by saying that non-subsidized 6s prices weren't available yet, when they were listed on Apple's website.

Furyous

I know this thread attracts some crazies at times, but wow.

I'm not crazy but honest. Saying this thread needs to ban a site because it doesn't give the Z5 a 10 on design is insane. A 7 is about right given the fragile nature of the device. The score should've been 7.5 for the Z5 and 8.5/9 for the Z5C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom