• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBP

I guess but I like that samsung put 32gb in the base models so it makes it a lot easier to swallow. I figure the removable battery crowd is really niche. But don't the moto phones have those as well?

The way I look at buying phones is "what's the reason someone would buy this?". S6 I see top of the line hardware and good support. The OnePlusses/Motos/other cheaper phones I see just that...value. Z5 compact I see size with solid specs. But what do I see with the G4? I really don't see anything it has over anyone, and it has some things way worse than others, like UX.

What does the LG G4 have that someone else doesn't that makes it worth paying whatever you pay to get it. I just don't see why anyone would get it tbh.

Removable battery and SD card? Coupled with a great camera and solid battery life? Not a lot of phones that'll give you that for the G4's price.

Removable battery and SD card? Coupled with a great camera and solid battery life? Not a lot of phones that'll give you that for the G4's price.
Like I said, Moto X pure gives you that same shit at a much better value prop price wise. Well no removable battery but I mean if that is that much of a selling point that you're willing to forego everything else every other device has to offer at the prices they do then god speed.

kinggroin

Banned
Like I said, Moto X pure gives you that same shit at a much better value prop price wise. Well no removable battery but I mean if that is that much of a selling point that you're willing to forego everything else every other device has to offer at the prices they do then god speed.

Camera

I don't think it's such a massive difference between the two. At least in auto mode which is what the vast majority of people shoot in. And if you're chasing best camera because camera is the biggest deal for you then you go samsung.

Guys I'm not denying the G4 is a solid phone with upsides lol. I'm just saying I don't see many situations where I'd pick it over a lot of the competition. That's why it wasn't on my list and it's kind of hard to put it on there.

Admodieus

Moto X Pure does not have a removable battery or a camera on the same level as the G4.

No Love

Banned

Not to mention LG is getting 6.0 out fast vs. the other guys. After the phenomenal G2, solid G3, and great G4, how can you really say anything?

Is the G4 cheap now? Don't think I've seen it as cheap as the S6/Note 5/Moto X have been lately.

Well since you obviously don't seem to be concerned with facts and can't be assed to actually know what you're talking about, yes the G4 has been as low as $400 recently.

Kevyt

Moto Pure X? The device that runs really hot where my hands would sweat and lag a lot in Chrome?

Well I hope it was just me, but I think the Moto G or the Moto Play is a much better deal than the Pure.

Still note sure I'd take it over an S6/Note 5 which has been not a lot more than that. And that's the moto x pure price.

So basically the G4 is mostly separated by the removable battery is what we're saying. I agree the camera is a more notable differentiator if you know how to tinker with manual settings but lets be real here. We're talking a niche of a niche of a niche. And again no one is saying it's not a solid device. I just can't rank it in a top 3.

It gets the job done but it's one of the less exciting devices of the year.

kinggroin

Banned
Still note sure I'd take it over an S6/Note 5 which has been not a lot more than that. And that's the moto x pure price.

So basically the G4 is mostly separated by the removable battery is what we're saying. I agree the camera is a more notable differentiator if you know how to tinker with manual settings but lets be real here. We're talking a niche of a niche of a niche. And again no one is saying it's not a solid device. I just can't rank it in a top 3.

Auto mode is fantastic.

@bolded, fair enough.

zatara

I don't think it's such a massive difference between the two. At least in auto mode which is what the vast majority of people shoot in. And if you're chasing best camera because camera is the biggest deal for you then you go samsung.

Guys I'm not denying the G4 is a solid phone with upsides lol. I'm just saying I don't see many situations where I'd pick it over a lot of the competition. That's why it wasn't on my list and it's kind of hard to put it on there.

nah you're right I owned one...its a good phone...but it doesn't have that one feature that sticks out to pick over other phones.

no fingerprint scanner (gs6)
no double tap to camera at anytime (gs6)
not super cheap (moto x opo)

it's best features (removable battery/sd card) are nothing special anymore.

Moto Pure X? The device that runs really hot where my hands would sweat and lag a lot in Chrome?

Well I hope it was just me, but I think the Moto G or the Moto Play is a much better deal than the Pure.

It's not just you. It seems like 50% of the units have issues such as horrible yellow screen and overheating. I had the same issues as you with the Pure.

CronoShot

nah you're right I owned one...its a good phone...but it doesn't have that one feature that sticks out to pick over other phones.

no fingerprint scanner (gs6)
no double tap to camera at anytime (gs6)
not super cheap (moto x opo)

it's best features (removable battery/sd card) are nothing special anymore.
1. You can double tap the volume down button to launch the camera when the phone is asleep. During use, true.

2. You can buy an unlocked G4 for like $400 on Amazon. Right around the Moto X/OPT.

Honestly, the G4's software gets too much hate. It's no worse than even 2015 Touchwiz.

zatara

1. You can double tap the volume down button to launch the camera when the phone is asleep. During use, true.

2. You can buy an unlocked G4 for like $400 on Amazon. Right around the Moto X/OPT.

Honestly, the G4's software gets too much hate. It's no worse than even 2015 Touchwiz.

its much worse than 2015 TW. Oversized nav buttons and status icons make alone make it worse.

I actually thought about the G4 but it's average audio quality out of the headphone jack made it a no-go for me. So here I am with my Note 4. Only Apple and Samsung really seem to care about audio quality out of the headphone jack and it's always been like that oddly enough. The number of people who use their phones as their PMPs has to be significant enough for Apple and Samsung to care so it's baffling why no one else seems to.

LG seems to be so close to being perfect but they just fall short, and in a world where Apple and Samsung exist, being close to perfect is more or less like not existing. Everyone who's not willing to pony up for Apple or Samsung is looking at a budget device or a Nexus anyways. There just doesn't seem to be a niche for LG, relegating them to also-ran status with the likes of Moto and HTC.

Saiyan-Rox

Carousel header and all?

Yep
xoJzwQD.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There hasn't been a really remarkable new app in a long time.

XBP

I actually thought about the G4 but it's average audio quality out of the headphone jack made it a no-go for me. So here I am with my Note 4. Only Apple and Samsung really seem to care about audio quality out of the headphone jack and it's always been like that oddly enough. The number of people who use their phones as their PMPs has to be significant enough for Apple and Samsung to care so it's baffling why no one else seems to.

LG seems to be so close to being perfect but they just fall short, and in a world where Apple and Samsung exist, being close to perfect is more or less like not existing. Everyone who's not willing to pony up for Apple or Samsung is looking at a budget device or a Nexus anyways. There just doesn't seem to be a niche for LG, relegating them to also-ran status with the likes of Moto and HTC.

The V10 fixes the audio capabilities of the the G4, although its a lot bigger and is more expensive.

About LG's skin, yes its not good at all but you can easily fix it using nova launcher. I have nova prime on my G3 and it doesn't look anything like LG stock skin. Great performance on top of that. Plus LG really knows how to make a phone look premium. G3 and G4 feel amazing when you actually use them. I really wish LG would release a stock version of the G4 though.

hitsugi

Kind of can't believe the Z5 turned out the way it did.. I have an iPhone 6 but I want to test out the N5X whenever it comes out. I always said the original N5 was the perfect phone as far as aesthetics and the way it felt in my hand went. If the battery life can match the iPhone 6 (which is not incredible but certainly beat the N4/5), I'm in.

hitsugi

6P and the 5X do have identical sensors... so to that bodes extremely well. I feel the 5X is getting swept under the rug a bit

No Love

Banned

I do wish my G4 had a better audio processor. My DAC blows it away. The V10 supposedly fixes that but I will admit that my next phone needs a premium audio proc since I am using FLAC and some really nice Sennheisers.

There is literally no other position that's better.
I rarely ever use my speakers on the phone so anywhere else will do for me. Bottom always worked for me.

But there are elegant ways to do it I guess, similar to the nexus 9 where it doesn't take much space on the front because it's along the edge. The 5X is curiously large but I guess it's the battery. Once again it's opting for thinness that is really hurting us.

it's sad but nowadays even with those dimensions that's considered small in the android world. Front facing speakers booooooooooooooooo.

Except the 5X only has one speaker on the front, making the massive bezel even more offensive. I believe the one of the speaker grills is for symmetry. Nothing else.

Furyous

5X - for those that want a small phone in a big phone body.

It's small in spirit like I'm really 300 pounds trapped in an 180 pound body with six percent body fat.
This how you stealth brag so take notes.
The 5X is like the G2's spirit animal. Think of it as a fox cub fresh out the womb looking at a Kyuubi like one day I'll be as big as you. 5X is damn huge so hopefully LG copies the design and gives us the 5X plus the extra features we want as the G5. Maybe put the fingerprint sensor on the bottom back because not everyone has huge hands.

The Z5/Z5C is calling my name. Yes, the camera on the Z5C has issues but it's pocketable and usable with one hand. Any word on how Sony will screw up implement Marshmallow?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The 5X is garbage. It's expensive and it isn't even a small form. It's a small screen in a large body. Just suck it up and get the 6P.

hitsugi

The 5X is garbage. It's expensive and it isn't even a small form. It's a small screen in a large body. Just suck it up and get the 6P.

Two questions:

1. How many phones have you gone through in the last year?
2. What phone will you be using by the end of this year?

VoxPop

I rarely ever use my speakers on the phone so anywhere else will do for me. Bottom always worked for me.

But there are elegant ways to do it I guess, similar to the nexus 9 where it doesn't take much space on the front because it's along the edge. The 5X is curiously large but I guess it's the battery. Once again it's opting for thinness that is really hurting us.

I feel the same way. If I ever listen to music, it's through my headphones or bluetooth speaker. Bottom is fine and the least intrusive aesthetically. The M7 (not sure about M8/9) did it nicely. Just not a fan of the 2 lines. Would be nice if they got rid of the top+bottom bezel completely or just put a fingerprint scanner on the bottom.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been thinking about getting the note 5, but I go back and forth whether or not it will be an upgrade or not coming from the note 4. I love having the removable battery and SD card, but the lack of the SD card is cleared up for me if I get the 64GB version. I'm in the jump program and I'm eligible to jump now. So ugh! Gotta keep thinking about it.

Well, returned my 6S.

I've been wanting the Nexus 6P but I'm also interested in the Moto X Pure because of the lower price and microSD slot. Having a bit of a difficult time deciding between the two.

Crazyorloco

Note 4, Note Edge, Note 5

Loving my Note 5. Double pressing the home button for the camera is awesome, and taking notes while thd screen is off is great, oh and I also love how quick the phone feels.

But i'm keeping an eye on the 6p. I would to get google updates right when they're released. Knowing samsung this time next year the the current galaxies (s6, s6 edges, notes) will have some touchwiz update that ruins the phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom