• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

The only way I can see the Moto X Pure being a consideration at all is for the SD card slot. If that's not a factor for someone and they find the 6P too expensive, I can't see why you wouldn't pick up a regular Nexus 6 for even cheaper with a bigger battery and not having to rely on Motorola for updates.

longdi

Banned
It's small in spirit like I'm really 300 pounds trapped in an 180 pound body with six percent body fat.
This how you stealth brag so take notes.
The 5X is like the G2's spirit animal. Think of it as a fox cub fresh out the womb looking at a Kyuubi like one day I'll be as big as you. 5X is damn huge so hopefully LG copies the design and gives us the 5X plus the extra features we want as the G5. Maybe put the fingerprint sensor on the bottom back because not everyone has huge hands.

The Z5/Z5C is calling my name. Yes, the camera on the Z5C has issues but it's pocketable and usable with one hand. Any word on how Sony will screw up implement Marshmallow?

Z5C or Z5P 'brah.

Z5 is too vanilla with poor battery life.

Like I said, Moto X pure gives you that same shit at a much better value prop price wise. Well no removable battery but I mean if that is that much of a selling point that you're willing to forego everything else every other device has to offer at the prices they do then god speed.

Again, please consider other markets, when you make arguments like that. You can get a G4 for around €400, while the Moto X Style still sits around €495-499.

Is the Moto still a better deal?

And the fingerprint reader is here just personal preference, since Android Pay might still be more than a year away. And I'd obviously take wireless charging over a fingerprint reader (which the Moto doesn't have either).

Reckoner

Well, returned my 6S.

I've been wanting the Nexus 6P but I'm also interested in the Moto X Pure because of the lower price and microSD slot. Having a bit of a difficult time deciding between the two.

Why did you do that?

You should have stayed with your 6S for some more months. This is year of skip on Android side. Moto X Pure looks like hot garbage. Literaly hot. 6P has been getting some disappointing impressions lately. Well, I guess you're on the US, so it can actually be a good trade.

Why did you do that?

You should have stayed with your 6S for some more months. This is year of skip on Android side. Moto X Pure looks like hot garbage. Literaly hot. 6P has been getting some disappointing impressions lately. Well, I guess you're on the US, so it can actually be a good trade.
Wtf. What disappointing impressions?

Wtf. What disappointing impressions?

Pay him no mind. He's referring to Bboy AJ saying the display panel stinks. That's one GAFer's opinion, and honestly, I'm sure it comes down to calibration preferences.

The camera samples we have seen leak out have been ridiculously amazing. That alone has this hype train running at full speed for me.

Also, the embargo definitely lifts tomorrow at 4am EST. We might see reviews from a few major sites, but it looks like a lot of the smaller sites only got their units on Friday.

Reckoner

Pay him no mind. He's referring to Bboy AJ saying the display panel stinks. That's one GAFer's opinion, and honestly, I'm sure it comes down to calibration preferences.

The camera samples we have seen leak out have been ridiculously amazing. That alone has this hype train running at full speed for me.

Also, the embargo definitely lifts tomorrow at 4am EST. We might see reviews from a few major sites, but it looks like a lot of the smaller sites only got their units on Friday.

There's a gaffer with the phone that already posted his opinion. That's why Bboy AJ says that the panel stinks. And it's fucking unacceptable for Google to make the same mistake again. That and SD810... I doubt they tamed that chip, but we'll see.

I'm sure it may be a good buy for US gaffers anyway. I'm in Europe, so I always have price in consideration. It's a terrible buy over here.

I actually like the design and build quality of the phone, though.

kinggroin

Banned
The 5X isn't large. Wtf. Especially if you've ACTUALLY been using large phones.

It's weight isn't much off the OG 5, has way better battery life, WAY better camera, fingerprint sensor, punchier display, and response is speedier. Bezels could be smaller, but it's a worthy tradeoff vs old N5 for the improvements. It's still significantly smaller than a N6 or N6P.

I say if you were considering the Moto X Pure, the OPT, or Z5C then you absolutely should consider this phone as well. I've done a 180° on it myself anyway.

Now between it and the 6P, it just comes down to size preference honestly. If you can manage a bigger device, then go 6P honestly. If size is critical, seriously consider its smaller brother.

Edit: The 6P panel isn't anything to write home about. It isn't much brighter than a N6 screen outside (though the screen coating means less fingerprints and less reflectivity as a result - so it stays cleaner, better). The white balance and colors can shift pretty noticeably at angles (very similar to the N6). It is better calibrated though. Saturation is toned down a bit and the panel is slightly cooler (which, considering the temp of the OG, should put the N6P even closer to 6500k).

Reckoner

The 5X isn't large. Wtf. Especially if you've ACTUALLY been using large phones.

It's weight isn't much off the OG 5, has way better battery life, WAY better camera, fingerprint sensor, punchier display, and response is speedier. Bezels could be smaller, but it's a worthy tradeoff vs old N5 for the improvements. It's still significantly smaller than a N6 or N6P.

I say if you were considering the Moto X Pure, the OPT, or Z5C then you absolutely should consider this phone as well. I've done a 180° on it myself anyway.

Now between it and the 6P, it just comes down to size preference honestly. If you can manage a bigger device, then go 6P honestly. If size is critical, seriously consider its smaller brother.

I'm actually really liking what I'm hearing about the N5X. I think that the disappointment was mostly because it was ONLY what people expected and nothing more. It's an improved Nexus 5. And that's actually a good thing.

But yeah, once again we Europeans can be pissed off. 530 euros for the 32gb version. Are you srs google?!!?

Btw do you have some more impressions to share about the 810 on the 6P?

kinggroin

Banned
I'm actually really liking what I'm hearing about the N5X. I think that the disappointment was mostly because it was ONLY what people expected and nothing more. It's an improved Nexus 5. And that's actually a good thing.

But yeah, once again we Europeans can be pissed off. 530 euros for the 32gb version. Are you srs google?!!?

Btw do you have some more impressions to share about the 810 on the 6P?

Yeah dude. It's just, "a better N5" especially in areas the N5 was weakest. So the fuck what it's taller. Still just as easy to use one-handed and palm. People acting crazy in here.

As for the 810, it behaved through all tests we put the phone through, at max brightness (extra heat). It really didn't get any hotter than my N6 OG, though it took it a little bit longer to cool off. Performance was affected (to be expected considering the torture test).

I will link you to the full review when its done. All this stuff (including things like testing macro focal length - in an unscientific manner lol, are cowered). The last bit was a request by a GAFer ;-)

Yeah dude. It's just, "a better N5" especially in areas the N5 was weakest. So the fuck what it's taller. Still just as easy to use one-handed and palm. People acting crazy in here.

As for the 810, it behaved through all tests we put the phone through, at max brightness (extra heat). It really didn't get any hotter than my N6 OG, though it took it a little bit longer to cool off. Performance was affected (to be expected considering the torture test).

I will link you to the full review when its done. All this stuff (including things like testing macro focal length - in an unscientific manner lol, are cowered). The last bit was a request by a GAFer ;-)

Sounds like the 6P is a winner. Camera impressions? I mean, the samples we've seen are like unbelievably good.

Also, I hope you're right about the 5X, but the early impressions from people in the UK that got them last week are not good.

zatara

anyone with a 16gb nexus 5 know how much available space from a fresh reset with 6.0. I preordered a 16gb 5x..never really use a lot of space on a phone just wondering.

Again, please consider other markets, when you make arguments like that. You can get a G4 for around €400, while the Moto X Style still sits around €495-499.

Is the Moto still a better deal?

And the fingerprint reader is here just personal preference, since Android Pay might still be more than a year away. And I'd obviously take wireless charging over a fingerprint reader (which the Moto doesn't have either).
I'm not even in the US market lol but I always speak from that perspective because I know that's where most people are at. I'm in canada where everything costs 100032859245890384095089349 dollars.

Rengoku

I don't actually care too much if the phone gets hotter than normal, im more concerned how much of an impact that has on the battery life. The main reason I opted for the 6p over the 5x was for battery life. Theoretically, the amoled screen should be pretty good on battery vs the ips, despite the resolution bump. The only concern is the 810. Going by the oneplus one vs the oneplus two, it looked like the 810 was the main reason why the two has worse battery than the one.

Pyrokai

Well, returned my 6S.

I've been wanting the Nexus 6P but I'm also interested in the Moto X Pure because of the lower price and microSD slot. Having a bit of a difficult time deciding between the two.

This is where I'm at. I have the 6P ordered but what you said plus the lower price point, I'm having a hard time deciding.

Let us know what you decide!

Just ordered the gorgeous Galaxy S6 Gold. After a whole month of research and hands-on impressions and waiting for Sony and Google to show their hand, I decided that this is the best phone for me in terms of specs, performance, design, size and price. Can't wait!

zatara

Just ordered the gorgeous Galaxy S6 Gold. After a whole month of research and hands-on impressions and waiting for Sony and Google to show their hand, I decided that this is the best phone for me in terms of specs, performance, design, size and price. Can't wait!

its a great phone, one of my faves that I owned. fast, perfect size, awesome camera, and even the subpar battery life is mitigated with fast as balls charging.

Saiyan-Rox

Reckoner

Sounds like the 6P is a winner. Camera impressions? I mean, the samples we've seen are like unbelievably good.

Also, I hope you're right about the 5X, but the early impressions from people in the UK that got them last week are not good.

Shouldn't the 808 perform better? Thermal throttling just like on the Moto X Pure, supposedly? Meh. That's what worries me still about the 6P too.

But yeah, kinggroin is giving good news about the 810. If it's really tamed, then it's a great purchase for y'all on the US. If you don't like the screen, you can fix it with a custom kernel and some sliders.

Saiyan-Rox

Damn I wonder when Carphone will ship those 6P

They told me they were OOS when I ordered so had to jump though hoops to cancel and re-order on the place store

I;m gonna be really peeved if they were just spouting BS

SimleuqiR

Nexus 6P 240fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmNq-QPO9Xg&feature=youtu.be

tumblr_mfgwc2vHQb1rskk8io1_1280.gif

Saiyan-Rox

Also notification light on the 6P is not on the speaker grill:

Yay! I'm actually really happy with that. Having both ambient and the light seems pointless but at least this gives you the choice.

Google sell cases and cables yet no tempered glass....wonder why? There doesn't seem to be any descent ones available here yet

Is there any particular reason that they put in a "Turbo Charger" in with the Moto X if every time I charge it, it gets hot to the touch? I have to put a small fan right on it so that it doesn't ruin the battery or the processor with the excess heat.

Is there any particular reason that they put in a "Turbo Charger" in with the Moto X if every time I charge it, it gets hot to the touch? I have to put a small fan right on it so that it doesn't ruin the battery or the processor with the excess heat.

I mean people bitched about it last year when they didn't include it. The Moto X this year is all kinds of fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom