• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean people bitched about it last year when they didn't include it. The Moto X this year is all kinds of fail.

I mean, going from N5 2013 to the Moto X 2015 was a pretty big jump. I really enjoy the phone barring a few small issues. I also wonder about the battery life in the future.

Speaking of battery, does anyone here have a link to a good guide on how to conserve battery on Android?

SimleuqiR

Alright does the 6P have active notifications ala the Moto X line?

You mean low powered screen notifications without unlocking the phone?

This was talked bout during the event:

https://youtu.be/Jc-LEG0T_4c?t=20m17s

Yeah, we saw that one after the event. I believe a Googler recorded it. Through the phone wasn't moving (or moving much) when recording the hummingbird. With the dog video the phone was also moving while recording.

Drifters

You mean low powered screen notifications without unlocking the phone?

This was talked bout during the event:

https://youtu.be/Jc-LEG0T_4c?t=20m17s

Yeah, we saw that one after the event. I believe a Googler recorded it. Through the phone wasn't moving (or moving much) when recording the hummingbird. With the dog video the phone was also moving while recording.

jesus you're getting as bad as giga. Just say yes and be done with it.

Newegg sale has the blue Nexus 6 for just under 300 bucks for anyone who wants one and was deciding on to get one at Amazon which is $350 right now.

kinggroin

Banned
Shouldn't the 808 perform better? Thermal throttling just like on the Moto X Pure, supposedly? Meh. That's what worries me still about the 6P too.

But yeah, kinggroin is giving good news about the 810. If it's really tamed, then it's a great purchase for y'all on the US. If you don't like the screen, you can fix it with a custom kernel and some sliders.

Screen is fine. Calibration won't fix the problem it has unfortunately.

Saiyan-Rox

Ooookay my N9 has stopped refreshing tabs and closing apps. Been using it solid for an hour and not one redraw

Let's see how long this will last.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does the 6P whine like the 6 when it's fast charging? That coil whine is annoying.

Saiyan-Rox

Does the 6P whine like the 6 when it's fast charging? That coil whine is annoying.

I'd be more concerned if the speakers still have that really annoying sound increase "feature" it kills notification sounds and the sending SMS sound from the google messenger and annoyed me to no end.

ajpw

I'd be more concerned if the speakers still have that really annoying sound increase "feature" it kills notification sounds and the sending SMS sound from the google messenger and annoyed me to no end.

wasn't that more of a motorola thing?

Saiyan-Rox

The what?

The speakers don't play on full blast straight away they start very quiet then suddenly get louder. Happens on ringtones notification sounds (only some) and alarms.

If your in a quiet room you can hear the speakers switch off too and then try playing the "Hangouts message" tone and it won't play right because of the speaker and the sound increase.

It's a "feature" that Motorola say is on purpose. Had it on 2 units.

wasn't that more of a motorola thing?

I do hope so and that they didn't end up doing it again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My G4 has been crushing my wife's 6s all weekend long in picture taking. Apple's supposed advantage in optics has always been overrated, but this year its just a farce. The S6 and all the new Samsung phones are better, so is this G4, and you know the new Lumias will beat it too. All in the only metric that Apple fanboys could hang on to: the simple point and shoot. None of the superior manual controls are even necessary for these phones to beat out Apple's latest. My sister has a Plus version, and I'm sure that one is much better competition, but making a blanket statement about Apple camera superiority is no longer possible.

man after 6.0 i don't ever just always have my phone charging when i'm at home and not using it, fell asleep with it at 94% at 8am, it's almost 5pm and it's at 90%

Milpool

I do hope so and that they didn't end up doing it again.

My backup moto e and my friends moto g has the fading audio bug "feature" too, so it's deffo a moto thing. I was worried for a while it was a feature added in 5.0 but my N9 has never had the issue...

Saiyan-Rox

My backup moto e and my friends moto g has the fading audio bug "feature" too, so it's deffo a moto thing. I was worried for a while it was a feature added in 5.0 but my N9 has never had the issue...

Long as other companies don't see it as a good thing (Looking at you Huawei) and do it too.

NotBacon

Why are people cancelling their 6P orders?

Because one person has commented on how the screen isn't calibrated exactly to their taste. This negates all of the good news. People are cancelling their orders in droves.

Is there any particular reason that they put in a "Turbo Charger" in with the Moto X if every time I charge it, it gets hot to the touch? I have to put a small fan right on it so that it doesn't ruin the battery or the processor with the excess heat.

A CPU can handle enormous amounts of heat. They're sometimes even put in ovens to settle the connections between the chip and the board. As for the battery, I highly doubt the manufacturers forgot about the impact of QC heat.

Ty4on

A CPU can handle enormous amounts of heat. They're sometimes even put in ovens to settle the connections between the chip and the board. As for the battery, I highly doubt the manufacturers forgot about the impact of QC heat.

Not while in operation, but the issue in phones is mostly skin temperature and battery life.
Heat is bad for batteries. The chemistry runs faster so they age more quickly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Because one person has commented on how the screen isn't calibrated exactly to their taste. This negates all of the good news. People are cancelling their orders in droves.
Have you ever seen the 6P screen? Or is everything opinion?

My G4 has been crushing my wife's 6s all weekend long in picture taking. Apple's supposed advantage in optics has always been overrated, but this year its just a farce. The S6 and all the new Samsung phones are better, so is this G4, and you know the new Lumias will beat it too. All in the only metric that Apple fanboys could hang on to: the simple point and shoot. None of the superior manual controls are even necessary for these phones to beat out Apple's latest. My sister has a Plus version, and I'm sure that one is much better competition, but making a blanket statement about Apple camera superiority is no longer possible.

But Van, it's a shit phone not worth any penny. You clearly should've bought the Moto X Whatever for better value.

Rengoku

While this is great and something to talk about, in everyday use, no one is gonna care since most of the fingerprint scanners are already very fast.

Yeah, the speed is impressive, but not too big of a deal. While it sounds like a great idea to have the scanner at the back of the phone, there are some instances where it doesn't work very well. Such as when the phone is lying on a desk, you need to pick it up to unlock it. Or if the phone is docked on a cradle in your car, you'd need to remove it from the cradle first. I guess the alternative is you just use pattern unlock for those two scenarios.

No Love

Banned

Not possible, the G4 isn't even worth talking ablut. Fuck its awesome camera, time to deepthroat Samsung.

this_guy

The LG G4 is probably the only phone without real weaknesses. Great camera, great screen, and good battery life. The ui is fine and it has split screen to take advantage of the large screen. I'd rather use Nova launcher any way, and the stock Android launcher is hideous too as the icons are too big and that white background in the app drawer has to go.

That said, I'm still waiting for reviews and then I'll pull the trigger on either the 5x or 6p.

Why did you do that?

You should have stayed with your 6S for some more months. This is year of skip on Android side. Moto X Pure looks like hot garbage. Literaly hot. 6P has been getting some disappointing impressions lately. Well, I guess you're on the US, so it can actually be a good trade.

I just don't consider the slightly smoother performance to be worth the trade off of having to do everything through itunes and not having any direct access to the filesystem. Also Lastpass is less convenient to use. I really wanted to give it a try since I hadn't owned an iPhone since the 3G, but I just don't really like the apple ecosystem much and even without the price disparity I don't find iOS to be particularly compelling. I actually like the UI less on iOS than stock android.

zatara

The LG G4 is probably the only phone without real weaknesses. Great camera, great screen, and good battery life. The ui is fine and it has split screen to take advantage of the large screen. I'd rather use Nova launcher any way, and the stock Android launcher is hideous too as the icons are too big and that white background in the app drawer has to go.

That said, I'm still waiting for reviews and then I'll pull the trigger on either the 5x or 6p.

the ui is its weakness its just ugly...but its still a good phone. my favorite aspect of the phone was its size and how it feels in your hand. sure its a tad bigger than the g3 but it still doesn't feel like a 5.5 inch phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom