• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrokai

Why do you some manufacturers insist on putting their own custom UI on their phones instead of just putting the stock version of Android a la Windows?

Saiyan-Rox

Why do you some manufacturers insist on putting their own custom UI on their phones instead of just putting the stock version of Android a la Windows?

you mean most?

And because they all want to be different and all have a different vision of what should be and shouldn't be in the phones I guess. Samsung being one of the top manufactures for adding features to their skin.

But like.....no one said that about the HP with Windows XP or the Dell with Windows XP, right? It's a fundamental difference I don't quite get.

Can you even skin with Windows? It's not open source I don't believe. Dell and HP throws a bunch of garbage on their PCs. You should know this.

carrier influence + OEMs wanting to brand their devices is pretty much it

That's why moto played it right, by being the first to offer near-stock they can 'own' that look.

Pyrokai

Can you even skin with Windows? It's not open source I don't believe. Dell and HP throws a bunch of garbage on their PCs. You should know this.

Well I mean, I do know this but it's interesting to me that ALL manufacturers insist on customizing it when, like, it's really not necessary as demonstrated by the 90s and 00s computers race. It just feels like they do it because they can. I was just wondering if there was some OTHER reason they were doing it that was legitimate.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's not just a skin, the better OEM's add useful functionality like split screen and camera enhancements. The cost of a skin, including slower updates and possibly worse performance is what you have to weigh those features against.

zatara

you mean most?

And because they all want to be different and all have a different vision of what should be and shouldn't be in the phones I guess. Samsung being one of the top manufactures for adding features to their skin.

thankfully the theme store for the newer galaxies at least lets you mimic the stock Android look pretty well. my biggest gripe with skins is how ugly they make their icons. yeah I know I can download nova and change that but I hate using third party launchers.

VoxPop

thankfully the theme store for the newer galaxies at least lets you mimic the stock Android look pretty well. my biggest gripe with skins is how ugly they make their icons. yeah I know I can download nova and change that but I hate using third party launchers.

Lol if looks were the issue with skins, no one would be complaining. You can install launchers over any skin.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not yet in person
Hopefully soon!
. But judging from dozens of pictures/comparisons/hands-ons it looks fine for 99.9% of consumers.
It's disappointing but no deal breaker. Just like the N6 screen isn't a deal breaker.

$300 for an N6! What a value.

I almost bought a Nexus 6 and then I watched Erica Griffin's video about the horrible screen and burn in and decided to pass. I don't need some panels Samsung threw away and Motorola found in their dumpster.

Furyous

US carriers wanted differentiation between Android handsets. That's the reason but it sucks for us as customers.

Imagine a Z5 Compact running stock Android M.
Imagine the GS6 on stock Android M.

If either GS6 or Z5 ran 100 percent stock I'd have one right now. How noticeable is the 720p screen on the Z5C? How long does Sony take to update their devices to Android M?

US carriers wanted differentiation between Android handsets. That's the reason but it sucks for us as customers.

If either GS6 or Z5 ran 100 percent stock I'd have one right now. How noticeable is the 720p screen on the Z5C? How long does Sony take to update their devices to Android M?

Then the GS6 and Z5 would probably have shitty cameras. Scratch that. The Z5 already has a shitty camera.

Noema

The saddest thing about skins is that we finally have a version of stock Android that looks great and has a consistent and well thought out design language and philosophy yet most Android users will never really see it or use it. And that's a goddamned shame.

Skins aren't as gaudy as they used to be but they can't hold a candle to Material Design. Android has come a really long way.

Reckoner

I just don't consider the slightly smoother performance to be worth the trade off of having to do everything through itunes and not having any direct access to the filesystem. Also Lastpass is less convenient to use. I really wanted to give it a try since I hadn't owned an iPhone since the 3G, but I just don't really like the apple ecosystem much and even without the price disparity I don't find iOS to be particularly compelling. I actually like the UI less on iOS than stock android.

So it's actually a OS preference. Fair enough. Can't really go wrong these days on that.

NotBacon

What the hell is it with your 7 week boner for the N6? Just stop.

Because it's been one of the best phones you can buy for almost a year, not to mention it's only 300 damn dollars now. Insanity.

If you need a new phone, and can handle the size, it's no doubt the best bang for the buck right now.

Al-ibn Kermit

My Nexus 5 completely shit the bed. It keeps on turning on and off over and over again like every 2 seconds. I'm reading online that this might be due to the recent Android 6 update but people say that trying to do a factory reset or cache wipe doesn't seem to solve the problem for more than a few hours.

My issue is that I can't even get it to stay on long enough to boot (even if plugged in). So I'm currently using my backup dumbphone and just placed an order for a Moto X but that will take 10 days to arrive apparently. I just want to keep the Nexus alive until then. Has anyone else been having this issue?

tzare

Comparison of Fingerprint recognition speed between Nexus 5X and iPhone 6S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi5L-ml2hVY

did i see it wrong or the nexus is faster? Sure it is probably due to how transitions work, but impressive. It uses huawei's FP scanner doesn't it?

COnsidering iphone 6s FPScanner was one of the highlights of this year's phone, since it is super fast, it is really surprising.
That said , lockscreens seem to be a bit nonsense since you won't even see them if you use FPScanner to unlock phone

Groof

did i see it wrong or the nexus is faster? Sure it is probably due to how transitions work, but impressive. It uses huawei's FP scanner doesn't it?

COnsidering iphone 6s FPScanner was one of the highlights of this year's phone, since it is super fast, it is really surprising.
That said , lockscreens seem to be a bit nonsense since you won't even see them if you use FPScanner to unlock phone

nah there are times when you just want to check your notifications without unlocking it. and they're also there to prevent other people from getting in.

tzare

nah there are times when you just want to check your notifications without unlocking it. and they're also there to prevent other people from getting in.

yes, but with nexus or iphone you may just push power button to see notifications, but for xperia z5, since it is the same as the finger print scanner, the only way to see notifications would be tap to wake

Kuros

My Nexus 5 completely shit the bed. It keeps on turning on and off over and over again like every 2 seconds. I'm reading online that this might be due to the recent Android 6 update but people say that trying to do a factory reset or cache wipe doesn't seem to solve the problem for more than a few hours.

My issue is that I can't even get it to stay on long enough to boot (even if plugged in). So I'm currently using my backup dumbphone and just placed an order for a Moto X but that will take 10 days to arrive apparently. I just want to keep the Nexus alive until then. Has anyone else been having this issue?

It could well be the power button. When they die they often act as if stuck down. It's what did for mine.

Groof

This year, we see a gap widening between Nexus devices and every other Android phone. If you're buying an Android device and want the fastest updates, the longest update support time, the best security program, zero crapware, the best software design, a cohesive app ecosystem, and the latest features from Google, you need to buy a Nexus. Every other Android phone pales in comparison to the Nexus 5X and 6P.

damn

superfly

Neither device supports Qualcomm Quick Charging, but they do support USB Type-C's higher power delivery, and come with a 15W (5V/3A) charger. In our testing, our Quick Charging plugs and accessories still pumped more juice than normal into the devices, so they're not a total waste. Wireless charging isn't supported at all, so if you've invested in that charging standard, you're out of luck.

Worrying

Mindwipe

The Z5C already runs 99% stock and has a theme engine that returns it to 99.9% stock except for improvements, and it appears Marshmallow will be even closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom