• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the 5X have a feature similar to the Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 that you can flip the phone upside down or right side up as either speaker acts as a cell phone piece depending on orientation?

I think I recall seeing two microphone ports: one on top, one on bottom.

I really don't see how that justifies the stupid proportions. You can do that, because of the design. But it wasn't designed that way, because of that feature.

clav

I really don't see how that justifies the stupid proportions. You can do that, because of the design. But it wasn't designed that way, because of that feature.

Until we get a teardown, we can't really see why.

My guess is the panel behind the display has a thick top/bottom border as that probably holds the screen together (with screws), and the engineers didn't want to overlap the ear pieces/speakers.

Until we get a teardown, we can't really see why.

My guess is the panel behind the display has a thick top/bottom border, and the engineers didn't want to overlap the ear pieces/speakers.

That's a fair point. But I hope I was able to get my point across and make it clear why I don't like it.

I also hope that a teardown is going to reveal pins for a Qi charging coil and it was removed last minute, to save 5g on the overall weight or something stupid like that.

kinggroin

Banned
That's a fair point. But I hope I was able to get my point across and make it clear why I don't like it.

I also hope that a teardown is going to reveal pins for a Qi charging coil and it was removed last minute, to save 5g on the overall weight or something stupid like that.

You could always get a case with Qi built in. I've seen some with USB pass through or some such nonsense

These reviews are making me feel like I need to go bigger. Do you guys think I should go for the 6P instead? I've had the 5X preordered for so long but ugh...the battery life, the screen, the metal...I'm screaming on the inside

Ty4on

The LG G2 also had a 5.2 inch 1080p LCD and a bigger 3000mAh battery. Its dimensions were:
138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm
While the 5X' are:
147 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm

That increase in width is quite significant for the feel in hand. Nexus 5 was 69.2 and 4 was 68.7 for comparison.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
These reviews are making me feel like I need to go bigger. Do you guys think I should go for the 6P instead? I've had the 5X preordered for so long but ugh...the battery life, the screen, the metal...I'm screaming on the inside

There is always some level of pressure that bigger=better. But at some point it'll just be too big for your hand, or pocket.

that Android Headlines review is making it incredibly difficult to hold off until December, fuckkkk

There is no other choice than 64-128gb 6p.

anything less is uncivilized

The LG G2 also had a 5.2 inch 1080p LCD and a bigger 3000mAh battery. Its dimensions were:
138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm
While the 5X' are:
147 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm

That increase in width is quite significant for the feel in hand. Nexus 5 was 69.2 and 4 was 68.7 for comparison.

Those are usually pretty ugly and add even more bulk. I'd rather open the phone (and lose my warranty in the process), than use a case like that.

I chose the wrong color. I should have gone graphite instead of aluminum :(

I just ordered a graphite 6P. Coming Friday.

All these previews and videos. Omfg I can't wait. Graphite so sexy too ahhhhhhhhhh
blessed-gif-dance.gif

Blackhead

Redarse
ios is viciously optimized to run on tiny ass battery capacities. Android phones aren't.

I'm glad the nexus phones are reviewing well. Google needs to do the same thing every year. One big one small. Though maybe not skimp on the small one in 2016.

And yet year after year iphone customers complain about the battery life. Apple can "afford to go thin" not because iphone customers are happy or because ios is optimized but because Apple determines what ios phone options are available and have iphone owners in their grip.

5X vs 6S camera test

There's only so much you can tell from a YouTube video, but I think it does give a decent indication as to how good the Nexus camera is. iPhone absolutely destroyed it in video stabilization, though. Google needs to figure out how to get some type of software/electronic stabilization on the 5X. Audio is surprisingly good, in my opinion.

So my birthday is next month, so I was going to wait a few weeks to order because I figured I'd ask family members to get me Google Play gift cards to use toward the purchase of a 6P.

But from what I've now discovered, Google Play gift cards can't be used toward hardware purchases.

This is fucking stupid. I knew that credits from things like Google Opinion Rewards and other promos couldn't be used toward hardware purchases, but I at least thought that a fucking Google GIFT CARD could.

that Android Headlines review is making it incredibly difficult to hold off until December, fuckkkk

There is no other choice than 64-128gb 6p.

anything less is uncivilized

Too late now lol. Out of stock and had to join the waitlist. Oh well, maybe it's a sign. I still have my iPhone 6S to fall back on for the 64GB and my 5X will become my daily driver. Seems ok for now...feeling bad now since I would have liked the bigger screen for better reading:(

I chuckled at the Nexus 6 being rated as 'good'.

:/ my nexus 6 has so so battery I need better

The Nexus 6P will be better, but I'm not expecting leaps and bounds.

Man I thought it would be better than that. Ive heared the Moto X Pure battery isn't great but the 6P looks worse

If you look at Ars' battery benchmark, the 6P destroys the Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure. On the non-WebGL test, it also has battery life on par with the iPhone 6S+ but better than the Note 5. When you throw in WebGL, which taxes the GPU more, it falls far short of those two devices, with results more akin to PhoneArena's.

Long story short, battery benchmarks are tricky beasts, and the parameters used can really affect the longevity of the device. PhoneArena is very vague about their test parameters, but they obviously uses WebGL, which is why you're seeing Qualcomm 810 devices get pummeled.

The takeaway is this: who gives a shit, since no benchmark will replicate your actual usage patterns.

Basically the new nexus is inline with other nexus.

Average across the broad

#NobodyReads

Average across the broad

Well I'd wager that the Nexus has always been Average as in, the best Google Phone you can get Average.....but if this was all you gathered from all the reviews that say otherwise regarding these two then......

TheZink

If you look at Ars' battery benchmark, the 6P destroys the Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure. On the non-WebGL test, it also has battery life on par with the iPhone 6S+ but better than the Note 5. When you throw in WebGL, which taxes the GPU more, it falls far short of those two devices, with results more akin to PhoneArena's.

Long story short, battery benchmarks are tricky beasts, and the parameters used can really affect the longevity of the device. PhoneArena is very vague about their test parameters, but they obviously uses WebGL, which is why you're seeing Qualcomm 810 devices get pummeled.

The takeaway is this: who gives a shit, since no benchmark will replicate your actual usage patterns.

#NobodyReads
That's good to know

Pyrokai

Since I'm getting this new phone and stuff, what are tricks to preserving the longevity of the battery? Are there any?

Like, are we still supposed to charge it completely before use for the first time? Are you also still supposed to let it get down to as low as possible before you charge it each time?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That battery result is at least believable based on my experience with the G4. Mediocre battery and takes forever to charge compared to the others on that list.

Kuros

Since I'm getting this new phone and stuff, what are tricks to preserving the longevity of the battery? Are there any?

Like, are we still supposed to charge it completely before use for the first time? Are you also still supposed to let it get down to as low as possible before you charge it each time?

Nothing like that any more for Li Ion batteries. Just charge it when you want and use it.

SimleuqiR

Man I thought it would be better than that. Ive heared the Moto X Pure battery isn't great but the 6P looks worse

Average across the broad

Average.
I knew it was too good to be true.
They had to have that big ass battery to compensate.

Ty4on

You're thinking of NiCd and NiMH. One thing that preserves lithium batteries is low depth of discharge which basically means charging it often instead of always going 100->0%.

EmiPrime

Battery benchmarks are largely useless. I don't know why they still get touted.

Phonearena's especially are completely nonsense.

E

#NobodyReads
#TruthFacts

Depends how much you use it.

It's very light use, to be honest.

E-Mail, Twitter, NeoGAF, WhatsApp and Pocket Casts is all I do on my phone.

Sometimes I even get through a day (til 8 pm at least) with my N5, because I don't get to use it that much. But if I wouldn't charge it at work, it would usually be dead around 4 or 5 pm (or sooner). It would be great if could last a bit longer. Especially on a night out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But is it enough for a day (8am - 10pm)? That's really all I need.

Honest answer? Almost definitely not. The standby time is great, but once the screen comes on and you start web browsing etc., it can drain pretty quick. That's presumably why a lot of the offers for this phone included an extra battery for free, you can just pop off the back cover and pop on a new battery.

Edit: with the usage described above, I'll change my answer to "maybe". Mostly, it's chrome that murders the battery. But if you're turning the screen on and off in short bursts, it will last a good while. It's continuous use with the screen on, like web surfing and video etc. that can trigger the battery to drain quickly.

Hasney

It's very light use, to be honest.

E-Mail, Twitter, NeoGAF, WhatsApp and Pocket Casts is all I do on my phone.

Sometimes I even get through a day (til 8 pm at least) with my N5, because I don't get to use it that much. But if I wouldn't charge it at work, it would usually be dead around 4 or 5 pm (or sooner). It would be great if could last a bit longer. Especially on a night out.

Wait until it gets M and look again. The Lollipop idle time drain will probably kill it for now.

For that usage though, M should be a godsend for you with some doze action.

BlueSteel

So, I got gifted an HTC One M9, but I also have a 6p Preordered...

What do you think GAF, do I keep the M9 or switch to the 6p and try to sell the M9?

Gwanatu T

Do you guys even bother to read? How is it that everyone seems to be relying on PhoneArena's garbage tests and completely ignoring EVERYONE ELSE?

no one uses their phone in this manner

Hmmmm I mean it depends. I'm a power user all the way and I should have invested in a Sony a long time ago but I love vanilla android.

I'm always reading blogs, on social media, on the web constantly, I don't play many games but I do have some running. I do take pictures here and there, but after a ful day..I've used significant battery life and so far the only phone to keep up has been the iPhone 6S ...the reviews has made the 6P seem like it can't handle that and I'm hoping some of them are wrong

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So, I got gifted an HTC One M9, but I also have a 6p Preordered...

What do you think GAF, do I keep the M9 or switch to the 6p and try to sell the M9?

Are you okay with selling the M9 since it's a gift? Do you need the extras cash that you'll save by keeping it? What is your current phone pre M9?

BlueSteel

Man, GAF posters get the worst gifts.

Haha, it's from my mother for my birthday, despite my protests that I am too old for big gifts that I can purchase by myself.

My current phone is a HTC butterfly s. Basically the M9 would be largely the same as before, just upgraded specs. I use Aviate as my launcher so basically everything stays the same minus the body.

I don't really have an issue with selling it... but not sure if I would want to do so on ebay or whatever. That's really my only hesitation going that route.

Of course, not sure I need the latest and greatest... but it would be nice haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom