• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

So then its probably a good idea to keep the fan on the phone? Or is it a defect?

Download a battery app so you can see how hot it actually gets. My threshold would probably be 40C, but there's not hard line unless it's something insane like 60C. Personally I'd just charge it at standard rate 99% of the time and use the turbocharger when I needed it. The standards for battery longevity on phones are so poor to begin with.

Ashes

Banned
They say they are previewing the nexus 5x, but looks pretty much like a review to me. :p

Here:
http://www.cnet.com/products/google-nexus-5x/

- plastic build
- crap speakers
- lots of quality competitors

+ performance
+ camera (?)
+ speedy charging..
+ value for money (in the US lol)

neutral

- Marshmallow (good to have latest os but nothing really stands out to reviewer as must have, and also google now on tap is slow)
- battery charges but seems to drain down video and sat nav pretty quick compared to other phones

edit: Quite a detailed 'preview,' eh? :p

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am excited for the new quick charging next year. I get that USB C is fast charging but it should be faster.

By default the 6P display has that AMOLED-standard hyper-saturated color palette that some people like and others can't stand. There is a software toggle buried in the settings to fix this called "Picture Color Mode: Use sRGB." Toggle it on, and after completely freezing for a few seconds, the display will kick over to an "accurate color" mode that looks more like a standard LCD.
Interesting.

The Nexus 6P has two speaker grills and they're both actually used for media speakers. This grill design looks a lot like the Nexus 6, with a bar in the center of the speaker slot and a ring around it from which sounds can exit. The speaker bars don't stick out above the screen this year though—they're only as tall as the screen. These are definitely front-mounted speakers, as covering them blocks a good amount of sound. For quality you'll get a noise that's about as loud as the old Nexus 6, but not as high quality. The 6P is a cheaper phone with a tinnier sounding speaker set.
Weak.

kinggroin

Banned
I am excited for the new quick charging next year. I get that USB C is fast charging but it should be faster.

Interesting.

Weak.

I hate that they say, looks more like a standard LCD.

Fucking stupid. As if OLED can't be calibrated to reference numbers.

No you dumbshit, it doesn't look more like an LCD. It looks like an OLED that's using a closer-to-reference color profile.

I hate these reviewers.

Reckoner

Interesting.

Weak.

Lol that mode should be activated by default. Shame Google. At least there's an option now.

Anorexic 8mm and 7.5mm bodies could have been expanded to fit more battery. The thinness war is dumb.

So true, Arstechnica. Those bezels almost ruin both phones design. A little bit of thickness and also a bigger battery could also translate on height reduction. But no. Whatever.

Groof

I hate that they say, looks more like a standard LCD.

Fucking stupid. As if OLED can't be calibrated to reference numbers.

No you dumbshit, it doesn't look more like an LCD. It looks like an OLED that's using a closer-to-reference color profile.

I hate these reviewers.

because historically OLED panels have been oversaturated and LCD panels have been better calibrated so it's an easier reference for most people to say that.

either way it's wrong but it is what it is

So true, Arstechnica. Those bezels almost ruin both phone's design. A little bit of thickness and also a bigger battery could also translate on height reduction. But no. Whatever.
I hope review sites continue to harp on this. Definitely the worst trend in android. I've always said it but apple can afford to go thin due to the way iOS works. Android cannot afford it. Until it can, battery should always take priority.

The sad part is the OEMs would rather have both, that's why they release huge phones. The bigger the phone the bigger the battery they can fit and they can also keep it thin. That's why you get a 6P with a nexus 6 body or a 5X that is barely bigger in screen size but way bigger in actual size than its predecessor.

kinggroin

Banned
because historically OLED panels have been oversaturated and LCD panels have been better calibrated so it's an easier reference for most people to say that.

either way it's wrong but it is what it is

Yeah I get it, but it's why people never actually learn shit. False generalizations being perpetuated. It just builds on the mentality that OLED = wrong, LCD = right when its more display values X = wrong and display values Y = right

kinggroin

Banned
img_20151017_161810arur9.jpg

edited

zatara

I hope review sites continue to harp on this. Definitely the worst trend in android. I've always said it but apple can afford to go thin due to the way iOS works. Android cannot afford it. Until it can, battery should always take priority.

The sad part is the OEMs would rather have both, that's why they release huge phones. The bigger the phone the bigger the battery they can fit and they can also keep it thin. That's why you get a 6P with a nexus 6 body or a 5X that is barely bigger in screen size but way bigger in actual size than its predecessor.

I saw a video with the 5x next to the nexus 5 and its kinda turning me off with how big it is for a 5.2 incher. lg should have just made a g4 with stock 6.0 instead.

I guess I can also blame lack of Qi charging on the 5X on the thinness nonsense. It's so stupid.

If the port/cable is compatible with USB 3.1, even if you use 2.0, you can use custom circuitry for charging, like the new Nexuses.

I didn't know that. It's pretty cool.

Blackhead

Redarse

lol wut?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Bboy AJ

Bboy AJ

I hope the next gen phone displays have the new iMac tech. It's stunning.

Wasn't wireless charging going to maybe be a thing?

A HA!

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/25/nexus-5x-hits-fcc-with-all-us-carrier-bands-including-verizon/

Perhaps a case is in the works?

A case to add more bulk than the phone would've had if it was integrated. Just great. But what you said might be true. LG also removed Qi charging in the G4 and put it inside an optional flip cover. The difference there is that you can remove the entire back and put the flip cover on.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There was a lot of pressure to go thin. Nokia got a ton of grief and reviewers routinely called their phones fat because they resisted the trend to go thin with the Lumias. Now those same reviewers are whining about battery life and tall phones. They made their bed by fainting and giving a standing ovation every time Apple talked about how much thinner their new iPhone was.

man that 6p is just downright nasty looking. definitely getting a 5X.

will be keeping my 5 as a back up though cause i can't bring myself to get rid of it.

clav

Google actually made great phones for once.

Guess that throws out my consideration for a Note 5 despite discounts.

808 seems to do terribly for the WebGL battery life test as both the 5X and G4 don't score well.

However, reading that performance for the camera and OS experience is actually decent pleases me.

As expected, 5X is a decent phone. All the haters and worries about performance/specs are unwarranted. Don't know what was up with some of the negative posters in here.

clav

ios is viciously optimized to run on tiny ass battery capacities. Android phones aren't.

I'm glad the nexus phones are reviewing well. Google needs to do the same thing every year. One big one small. Though maybe not skimp on the small one in 2016.

Advantage of owning a tightly closed circle of hardware.

Google wants that, too.

I'm leaning towards an iPhone this year although I still like Google's strengths.

That discount though.

Google actually made great phones for once.

Guess that throws out my consideration for a Note 5 despite discounts.

808 seems to do terribly for the WebGL battery life test as both the 5X and G4 don't score well.

However, reading that performance for the camera and OS experience is actually decent pleases me.

As expected, 5X is a decent phone. All the haters and worries about performance/specs are unwarranted

Some of the hate for the 5X is still justified in some areas. Huge bezels and price in Europe are good reasons. But at least the battery life sounds great. Almost too good to be true.

clav

Some of the hate for the 5X is still justified in some areas. Huge bezels and price in Europe are good reasons. But at least the battery life sounds great. Almost too good to be true.

I never really quite understand the hate for bezels. Can you explain that to me? Is the annoyance like seeing double black bars when watching a 16:9/16:10 video?

OK, the price in Europe is ridiculous. I'm talking about people bagging on the phone's specs before they even used it with FUD about encryption and performance.

I never really quite understand the hate for bezels. Can you explain that to me? Is the annoyance like seeing double black bars when watching a 16:9/16:10 video?

OK, the price in Europe is ridiculous. I'm talking about people bagging on the phone's specs before they even used it with FUD about encryption and performance.

The display is .2" bigger.

kxXfLYG.jpg

There's really no need for that. The 5X has a single mono speaker. It's so tall to have the symmetry in the design going on (which isn't great in the first place).

Performance was never a concern for me, though. I'm still very happy with the Snapdragon 800 in my N5 (I don't play games). The 2 GB RAM are not great going into 2016-17, but even that isn't an issue on the N5 for me (avg use is around 1.5 GB). But I can see how it might be an issue for others.

clav

The display is .2" bigger.

kxXfLYG.jpg

There's really no need for that. The 5X has a single mono speaker. It's so tall to have the symmetry in the design going on (which isn't great in the first place).

Doesn't the 5X have a feature similar to the Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 that you can flip the phone upside down or right side up as either speaker acts as a cell phone piece depending on orientation?

I think I recall seeing two microphone ports: one on top, one on bottom.

Hasney

Why? I can get close to 5 on a Nexus 6 since M with constant switching between 3 and 4g due to annoying signal and this is supposed to be better on the battery.

Need to get my hands on the 6P. Don't know if I want to upgrade, but the battery is tempting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom