• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they'll bother with the Note at all then. They seemed not to care that much this year since it was only a few countries that got it. Don't know why they wouldn't just go S7/Edge and Note 6/Note 6 Edge.
IMO they need to release the S/Note at the same time. They probably can't without holding the Note 6 back until 2017 or something so that's why they fill the early/mid year phablet gap with the + variant.

Note has actual phablet features so at least it's big for a reason. The + variant is just big.

Hasney

IMO they need to release the S/Note at the same time. They probably can't without holding the Note 6 back until 2017 or something so that's why they fill the early/mid year phablet gap with the + variant.

Note has actual phablet features so at least it's big for a reason. The + variant is just big.

I seriously think that whatever they do, they can only go 2 models at the same time though. Having 6 months between the devices did used to make sense because it had a spec bump, but with what they crammed into the S6 and the hardware advancements slowing down a bit didn't help the Note 5.

Maybe Qualcomm will go back to making variants throughout the year if the 820 is good and we'll have 821 and 825's.

tzare

Samsung seem a bit lost. I guess they tried to mimic Apple's strategy by releasing a 5 inch and a phablet version of their flagship. But that is bad news for the Note, unless they release s7/s7+ early in the year and note, with better specs and spen 6 months later. But still will probably hurt Note sales.

Murkas

Ordered the 5x in ice blue from Carphone Warehouse because black and white are boring and there was no brown Asian colour.

Should arrive on the 26th according to them.

Samsung seem a bit lost. I guess they tried to mimic Apple's strategy by releasing a 5 inch and a phablet version of their flagship. But that is bad news for the Note, unless they release s7/s7+ early in the year and note, with better specs and spen 6 months later. But still will probably hurt Note sales.

From the rumours so far that's exactly what it sounds like they're going to do. From what I gather they're trying to maximize sales momentum so S7 variants big and small come out as early in the year as possible (potentially Jan/Feb this year). This will help cut into iphone sales plus give them a lot of lead time into the next iphone. It covers them for Q1/Q2. Then in Q3 they release the Note 6 to continue momentum. Then Q4 the Note 6 and other midrange shit might carry them until Q1 again when the S8 releases. That way they have decent quarters every time instead of the huge up and downs they have lately.

But yeah they need focus and differentiation.

Wreav

Banned
Samsung needs to go edge only. You would hope since the technology is now in its third generation that their cost of materials per device is going down significantly for the curved screens. There is literally no market for the S+ phone, just leave the Note at that size and price point.

Samsung is still clinging to the high end label of android and they need to keep it, as that's their main differentiator between the other brands. Present your product as baller as fuck with the confidence that only shrinking your offerings to 2 can bring.

Samsung needs to go edge only. You would hope since the technology is now in its third generation that their cost of materials per device is going down significantly for the curved screens. There is literally no market for the S+ phone, just leave the Note at that size and price point.

Samsung is still clinging to the high end label of android and they need to keep it, as that's their main differentiator between the other brands. Present your product as baller as fuck with the confidence that only shrinking your offerings to 2 can bring.

I'm not even crazy about the edge but yeah just pick one lol. You either believe in the design or you don't. Apparently they were planning to produce a shitton more of them for launch so maybe they are going edge only but with sasugn you never know.

Agreed about the plus variant.

Pyrokai

If you are wait listed for the 6P, when should I expect to be able to order one?

I'm actually not wait listed for the one I ordered, but the model I actually want I AM wait listed for. If it's like a month wait I could do it and I'll cancel my "preordered" one and just wait. But if it's like 3-4 months I won't do that.

TheZink

If you are wait listed for the 6P, when should I expect to be able to order one?

I'm actually not wait listed for the one I ordered, but the model I actually want I AM wait listed for. If it's like a month wait I could do it and I'll cancel my "preordered" one and just wait. But if it's like 3-4 months I won't do that.

Huaweis site has 32 - 64gb models available in aluminum and graphite for November shipping.

http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

everyone i personally know who got the S6 over the Edge did it because of the money. they couldn't justify the extra hundo even though they loved the look of the edge more. the others got the edge.

Hasney

everyone i personally know who got the S6 over the Edge did it because of the money. they couldn't justify the extra hundo even though they loved the look of the edge more. the others got the edge.

Two of the three people I know with one agree with you, one even asked me what was the point to try and get me to justify the extra cash. The third reckons they would have broken it.

Pyrokai

Huaweis site has 32 - 64gb models available in aluminum and graphite for November shipping.

http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

Holy crap! I swear only the 128GB was available yesterday. Thanks so much!

I cancelled my Play Store order and placed this new one. Feeling much better about it too. Got the graphite 64GB.

Now....they didn't charge me tax but the Play Store did. Is that normal? I'm essentially playing $10 more for the 64GB without tax, lol.

Sounds too good to be true though.

Also, where do you see they're shipping mid November? Just curious.

TheZink

I cancelled my Play Store order and placed this new one. Feeling much better about it too. Got the graphite 64GB.

Now....they didn't charge me tax but the Play Store did. Is that normal? I'm essentially playing $10 more for the 64GB without tax, lol.

Earlier today the site said the dates.
Edit: says late November.

it makes sense if Huawei has no business locations your state and Google does.

Pyrokai

Earlier today the site said the dates.
Edit: says late November.

Ah, yeah I see it now. Totally missed it.

I'm going to assume this to be the same time period that I was supposed to get my 32GB one from the Play Store, where they said it was shipping between Nov 18-20. No real loss there.

Man, thanks again guys. All sorts of win. Went from spending $538 on a 32GB to $549 on a 64GB. And it's a color I wanted more as well! Totally worth it.

Kevyt

I'm going to assume this to be the same time period that I was supposed to get my 32GB one from the Play Store, where they said it was shipping between Nov 18-20. No real loss there.

Man, thanks again guys. All sorts of win. Went from spending $538 on a 32GB to $549 on a 64GB. And it's a color I wanted more as well! Totally worth it.

I think I'm gonna do this too.

Saiyan-Rox

*checks play store*

Still Pending
jzc9UkS.gif

Kevyt

I cancelled my order on the play store and bought the 64 gb aluminum for $549 from Huawei.

Late November shipping, not bad.

I should have done this from the beginning.

Tax evasion ftw!!

Pyrokai

I cancelled my order on the play store and bought the 64 gb aluminum for $549 from Huawei.

Late November shipping, not bad.

I should have done this from the beginning.

Tax evasion ftw!!

Nice! Yeah I would have done it this way at first if I knew. I also did check out their site but they were OOS for all of them but the 128GB until, well, today.

SimleuqiR

Man, in the side-by-side in this video, the screen on the 5X looks so yellow it would make traffic slow down. I haven't noticed this anywhere else.

There was a "first impression" video from Pocketnow (also from Michael) and he stated that the yellowish tint on the 5X and the perceived perfect whites of the 5P were just how their camera processed the video. IRL the 5X has more natural whites and the 6P has more of a bluish tint to them.

3phemeral

There was a "first impression" video from Pocketnow (also from Michael) and he stated that the yellowish tint on the 5X and the perceived perfect whites of the 5P were just how their camera processed the video. IRL the 5X has more natural whites and the 6P has more of a bluish tint to them.

Yeah, here's a link to the exact moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom