• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
That feel when you had to buy a budget phone AND use a case because you don't want to break it.

How rich are you that the 5x is a budget phone?

I'd put a ten dollar case on 100 dollar phone; especially on those phones that have glass backs. And definitely screen protectors.

Having said that, I've been rocking the moto g 4g naked since December last year. And I've dropped it a ton of times.

Esqueleto

Banned
How rich are you that the 5x is a budget phone?

I'd put a ten dollar case on 100 dollar phone; especially on those phones that have glass backs. And definitely screen protectors.

Having said that, I've been rocking the moto g 4g naked since December last year. And I've dropped it a ton of times.
I think I've dropped my naked z3c at least ten times. No broken back yet but I've only dropped it at home on smooth concrete and wooden floors.

Ashes

Banned
I think I've dropped my naked z3c at least ten times. No broken back yet but I've only dropped it at home on smooth concrete and wooden floors.

Funny thing is that's the phone I did have last December. Some guy hugged and mugged me whilst I was drunk. And I was just enough sober to realised that he was doing. And didn't want to start a fight. So just had a go at him.

Ixian

My Z3v was the first time I've had a phone shatter after dropping. :( Completely unusable after, and the reason I use an S6 today, as well as use at least a minimalist case and have a phone warranty.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I met this smoking hot girl last night with a Nexus 5X. I had to turn her down because I couldn't stop thinking how little money she has since she settled for the 5X.

jwk94

So how's Android as a tablet platform? I'm considering getting the Google Pixel C because it's cool and shiny and I'm weak. But, I'm really not sure if I want to use Android as a tablet. I'd prefer to get a Surface device, but Windows 10 really doesn't look like a tablet platform either and the stand there just sucks.

Saiyan-Rox

So how's Android as a tablet platform? I'm considering getting the Google Pixel C because it's cool and shiny and I'm weak. But, I'm really not sure if I want to use Android as a tablet. I'd prefer to get a Surface device, but Windows 10 really doesn't look like a tablet platform either and the stand there just sucks.

I'll be all over the pixel c when it launches

well unless Google take the piss with the pricing in £.....

Saiyan-Rox

I met this smoking hot girl last night with a Nexus 5X. I had to turn her down because I couldn't stop thinking how little money she has since she settled for the 5X.

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Hasney

That fingerprint under the screen will be cool, but I do prefer it on the back rather than making the bottom bezel longer.

why would you NOT go for the cheap date? especially if she's hot? it's the hot chicks with expensive tastes that i worry about...

EmiPrime

I like it a lot on the Nexus 7, no idea about larger tablets. Getting files onto it is really easy.

Hopefully Android N or a smaller point release brings some tablet enhancements.

Ixian

It's "okay." iOS wins when it comes to having apps actually designed for a tablet, but
I still prefer OS in terms of customization and I'm not too big on using a lot of apps anyway, so I switched over to an Android tablet last year and haven't looked back.

Like you, I'm lusting over a Windows 10 device (currently fixated on a Surface Book), but its app situation is way worse than on Android. Sure, you can use actual Windows apps, but those aren't necessarily the best in a tablet form factor.

Cipherr

Saw this link in a random comment on YouTube. The company that makes the fingerprint sensor for the new Nexii (and a whole lot of other devices) already has a new sensor capable of scanning a finger from beneath glass/ceramics.

http://www.fingerprints.com/products/touch_sensor/fpc1200-series/

When this stuff goes live, Ill be a fan of fingerprint scans. Putting that shit on an ugly ass home button or a retarded ass rear phone scanner is dumb as hell. Cant believe people like those implementations.

Put it under glass and I'll be okay with it. Still won't use it, will use PIN instead, but at least I won't hate it.

Quixzlizx

When this stuff goes live, Ill be a fan of fingerprint scans. Putting that shit on an ugly ass home button or a retarded ass rear phone scanner is dumb as hell. Cant believe people like those implementations.

Put it under glass and I'll be okay with it. Still won't use it, will use PIN instead, but at least I won't hate it.

Why would you care about a rear fingerprint scanner if you weren't even planning on using it anyway? Would you be unable to concentrate on your phone's screen because you're too distracted by the nightmare of how ugly the back of your phone looks?

Ashes

Banned
Why would you care about a rear fingerprint scanner if you weren't even planning on using it anyway? Would you be unable to concentrate on your phone's screen because you're too distracted by the nightmare of how ugly the back of your phone looks?

Ha ha.

Argyle

How do I do that? I thought it was a bug because if I remove the updates from hangouts it works.

I guess I should have asked if you're on Marshmallow first, if so you can drill into the app info from settings (or long pressing the icon on the multi tasking view) and check the permissions.

That's exactly where it should be. Not this on the back of the phone bullshit.
The back is far more comfortable and natural than having to shift your phone/hand around to reach an ugly ass home button at the very bottom of the device. And if you need to use it while on a flat surface, that's what smart lock is for. Smart location or smart connected device works wonders. Or you could take two or three seconds and unlock using a pattern or pin.

This is a very weird opinion. If you're not going to use it, why does it matter where it is? At least having it on the back means you won't have to look at an ugly ass home button/front sensor for the vast, vast majority of the time you use the phone.

Wreav

Banned

Worst post this thread has seen in a long time.

ArchAngel

Heard the 6P will release at the beginning of November in the rest of Europe. Hopefully preorders go up soon, want dat (for me most expensive Nexus) phone!

Still don't know about the frost white. Some say it's anodized aluminium, other comments say it's just paint and feels different than the others :(

Worst post this thread has seen in a long time.
lol it's a contender

I'm not going to lie I prefer the scanner being on the front over the back because I check my phone a lot while it's on my desk at work. As long as the bezels are as slim as possible. S6 does a decent job.

Saiyan-Rox

Carphone warehouse say they should have stock in store on Monday of the silver.

If my graphite doesn't move to processing before that I may just end up getting one from there even if it is silver.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Impressed with the battery life of the Note 5 so far. Also, loving the fingerprint scanner on the home button. It's fast.

Stupid pointless phone doesn't sell in home country, news at 11:

The LG V10, LG's new high-end handset with a second screen and dual front-facing cameras, is not off to a good start in South Korea where the phone launched on October 8th. From that date through the 14th of the month, the multimedia-centric handset did not crack the list showing the top ten selling smartphones in the country. The list was led by the Samsung Galaxy Note5, with the LG V10 mired in 15th place. Samsung's high-end phablet has been in first place each week since its release in Korea eight weeks ago.

Things look bleak for the V10 considering that the Apple iPhone 6s and Apple iPhone 6s Plus have just launched in the country. In addition, much of the top ten consists of Samsung devices like the Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy A5, and the Samsung Galaxy Grand Max. The list was just released last week by ATLAS Research & Consulting.

Furyous

Stupid pointless phone doesn't sell in home country, news at 11:

Oh word? Here's a gotdamn thought:

Sell us the 5X with built-in storage, microsd support, removable battery, IR blaster, and a 128 GB flash storage option. If that was the high end flagship device that wrecked shit I guranteee it would've been a success. At the bare minimum offer a 64 GB version of the 5X on your site. Really fuck logic because two front facing cameras on the screen is the best way to go. I'm glad it failed personally so that teaches them to give us what we actually want instead of what they think we want.

Oh word? Here's a gotdamn thought:

Sell us the 5X with built-in storage, microsd support, removable battery, IR blaster, and a 128 GB flash storage option. If that was the high end flagship device that wrecked shit I guranteee it would've been a success. At the bare minimum offer a 64 GB version of the 5X on your site. Really fuck logic because two front facing cameras on the screen is the best way to go. I'm glad it failed personally so that teaches them to give us what we actually want instead of what they think we want.

Google hates microSD, it will never return to Nexus.

It's amazing how far Nexus has come in just a couple of years though. Nexus used to mean garbage hardware paired with garbage stock Android. Now Nexus means top of the line hardware, at least in the larger phablet version, paired with a stock Android which became something you would actually look at without cringing when Material Design came along and battery life actually became a priority with Marshmallow after years of lip service and no action.

The fact that people are now calling for LG to sell a Nexus with the additional cost-cutting features added back in is a big turnaround from how Nexus used to be regarded quite recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom