• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly is the 5x was 32 gig for this base version I'd be inclined to say its the better device. That $50 upcharge for storage doe.

OK, for some reason I'm considering getting an LG G Flex 2, it's quite cheap (£200 in the UK), has a decent camera, a great screen and is a bit different and interesting. Only issue is that the 16GB model is much easier to find here, is the extra gig of RAM in the 32 gig worth hunting down or will 2 be fine?

I'm currently using a Moto E, so I'm wary of RAM constraints.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh man....what makes you say that exactly??

Similar performance both in terms of general usagr speed as well as camera. You'd literally just be paying the extra cost for the bigger screen outside of some fringe gaming usage.

The $50 upcharge for storage muddies the waters though.

this_guy

Ohhhh okay. I guess that makes sense. Online tax confuses me :p

But I don't think Google has a location in Ohio and they charged me tax on their site...unless they do and I don't know it. Maybe they just charge everyone tax. But it was my local sales tax rate.....so weird.

Yeah, maybe they have a distribution or service center that no one knows about. When Huawei announed they would have the 6P I was hoping to save $40 in taxes but unfortunately they charge taxes in Texas. I picked up the 5x, but was considering the HTC A9 because the HTC wouldn't charge me taxes. If reviews for the A9 show the battery life is good despite the small size I might still consider it.

Pyrokai

Similar performance both in terms of general usagr speed as well as camera. You'd literally just be paying the extra cost for the bigger screen outside of some fringe gaming usage.

The $50 upcharge for storage muddies the waters though.

I am getting the 64GB 6P for $549 and I keep wondering if it might be worth going for a 32GB 5X for about $100 less.........hmmmm.......all the reviews keep talking about how godly the 6P is but I think more realistically they are the same with just different screen sizes and material. The storage isn't a HUGE deal....but yeah if it was 32/63 for the 5X I would be even more torn...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What is acceptable screen-on battery time for a flagship Android phone? Not for extreme cases where you stream video or use chrome exclusively. Let's say average mixed use (social media, calls, browsing, etc.).

I'm trying to decide whether my device has a faulty battery.

EmiPrime

What is acceptable screen-on battery time for a flagship Android phone? Not for extreme cases where you stream video or use chrome exclusively. Let's say average mixed use (social media, calls, browsing, etc.).

Somewhere between 3 and 5 hours depending on how good your signal is and whether you are using 4G data or wifi mostly.

Ideally it should be 5-6 SoT but a lot of phones seem to get 3-5.

kinggroin

Banned
I am getting the 64GB 6P for $549 and I keep wondering if it might be worth going for a 32GB 5X for about $100 less.........hmmmm.......all the reviews keep talking about how godly the 6P is but I think more realistically they are the same with just different screen sizes and material. The storage isn't a HUGE deal....but yeah if it was 32/63 for the 5X I would be even more torn...

Not the same at all. I've played a lot with both. The screen for starters. Great OLED display vs a decent LCD screen. Faster SoC I'm the 6p makes things snappier like extensive camera usage. The 6p has stereo speakers that blow the 5x out the water (though not as good as the OG 6 or Moto's newer stuff).

You've given me like, no detail on your phone man. Size battery, screen size, res, make model...?

On my N6 with a 3200mah battery I get 4 screen on time hours with heavy usage in a full work day.

Some days I can stretch it to 5 hours.

If its a straight run of movies or comics, then 6-7 hours.

Quixzlizx

The 6p is a no-brainer upgrade from a Nexus 4 even with the massive difference in size and the 810 in tow. Seriously.

I know it's a no-brainer upgrade, but my brain is telling me that I've been suffering for this long, so I might have an even bigger no-brainer in a couple of months. Although I don't really want to wait until Q2 2016.

Nvzman

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post but Google isn't helping me at all.
I have a Galaxy S4 with A LOT of the bloatware gutted out (or at least as much as I could), but for some reason my phone isn't allocating space correctly.
Specifically, there's 4 GB of space on my phone being taken up by seemingly nothing.
Here's two photos of what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/U6eLkR4.png
http://i.imgur.com/g8UiDnF.png
How do I clear up those 4 gb?
I checked all of the files on my phone (not the SD card) and there is still a large chunk of missing space.
Is there like a hidden duplicate or backup directory I can check on a PC or something?
I'm on Lollipop and I've had the phone for well over a year now.

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post but Google isn't helping me at all.
I have a Galaxy S4 with A LOT of the bloatware gutted out (or at least as much as I could), but for some reason my phone isn't allocating space correctly.
Specifically, there's 4 GB of space on my phone being taken up by seemingly nothing.
Here's two photos of what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/U6eLkR4.png
http://i.imgur.com/g8UiDnF.png
How do I clear up those 4 gb?
I checked all of the files on my phone (not the SD card) and there is still a large chunk of missing space.
Is there like a hidden duplicate or backup directory I can check on a PC or something?
I'm on Lollipop and I've had the phone for well over a year now.

My old Note 2 did that. Only way I was able to fix it was a factory reset/wipe.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Somewhere between 3 and 5 hours depending on how good your signal is and whether you are using 4G data or wifi mostly.

I have good signal at my office, WiFi has filters, so I don't use it.

You've given me like, no detail on your phone man. Size battery, screen size, res, make model...?

On my N6 with a 3200mah battery I get 4 screen on time hours with heavy usage in a full work day.

Some days I can stretch it to 5 hours.

If its a straight run of movies or comics, then 6-7 hours.

LG G4

Ideally it should be 5-6 SoT but a lot of phones seem to get 3-5.

I got 2.5 hours, seems really low to me.

Wreav

Banned
The Turbo 2 is looking to be a great alternative to the Pure for the VZ crowd.

original.jpg

God damn it Google , you launch in Australia but only with the 64GB versions of the 6P (the others are Coming Soon). I'll probably have this phone for 2 years, gimme the 128GB version already.

DagsJT

Seems google have yet to send any Nexus in the UK yet

Impatience is growing

Carphone Warehouse aren't doing too great either. 5X listed as in stock, placed my order yesterday, today I receive an email saying it's out of stock and the person in their call centre said it's on pre-order due to high demand. Not sure how you get away with saying on your website it's in stock when it isn't. Blatant false advertising.

Jzero

I messaged Google and they say mine ships until tomorrow 😭
I hate you guys, i ordered first 🙅

Wife got her 6P today... only performance difference I notice vs. my 5X is in camera shutter speed. Prefer the style and feel of my phone overall, but both are quite slick.

Saiyan-Rox

Carphone Warehouse aren't doing too great either. 5X listed as in stock, placed my order yesterday, today I receive an email saying it's out of stock and the person in their call centre said it's on pre-order due to high demand. Not sure how you get away with saying on your website it's in stock when it isn't. Blatant false advertising.

Carphone are completely useless when it comes to telling customers what's actually going on. Same happened to me I canceled my 6P order from GP to order from them just to find out they were OOS until November so had to reorder from GP and got pushed back :/ did no stores near you have any stock? The stores here have stock of the 5X.

Kevyt

Is there a way to have Fed ex hold the package at a store to pick up?

I called FedEx about this re: my 5X, and they said the sender wouldn't allow it.

Hmmm... I did this for my Moto G. Though I didn't call them, I just went to their site with the tracking number and clicked on more options or something and then the hold package at facility option.

That reminds me that I have to go pickup the Moto G. This was for standard delivery though, I'm not sure what kind of delivery you guys have that could prevent you from doing this. Or maybe a Google thing as voodoojohn said (sender won't allow it).

DrFurbs

OK, for some reason I'm considering getting an LG G Flex 2, it's quite cheap (£200 in the UK), has a decent camera, a great screen and is a bit different and interesting. Only issue is that the 16GB model is much easier to find here, is the extra gig of RAM in the 32 gig worth hunting down or will 2 be fine?

I'm currently using a Moto E, so I'm wary of RAM constraints.

£200? Where from. Would love to buy my dad this. Does it have Marshmallow?

I called FedEx about this re: my 5X, and they said the sender wouldn't allow it.

Hmmm... I did this for my Moto G. Though I didn't call them, I just went to their site with the tracking number and clicked on more options or something and then the hold package at facility option.

That reminds me that I have to go pickup the Moto G. This was for standard delivery though, I'm not sure what kind of delivery you guys have that could prevent you from doing this. Or maybe a Google thing as voodoojohn said (sender won't allow it).
Hmmm, interesting. I will be in class on Wednesday and I MUST get my phone.

EmiPrime

They were advertising the Nexus 5X in the Evening Standard today.

Stupid company.

Is if just me, or has the tablet market split to a) cheap and lousy and b) nice but very pricey, ever since the Nexus 7 stopped being made?

Specifically talking about 7 and 8 inch tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom