• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrokai

It's Relay for Reddit.

(I personally cannot stand that configuration, it has nowhere near enough articles on screen, but Relay is very attractive and has pretty good layout customisation actions.)

Oh cool. Thanks! Coming from an iPhone here and that app does not exist on iOS.

Speaking of......all I have to do when I get my 6P is take the sim out from the iPhone and put it in the 6P, right? It's that simple? This is my first unlocked phone.

this_guy

Oh cool. Thanks! Coming from an iPhone here and that app does not exist on iOS.

Speaking of......all I have to do when I get my 6P is take the sim out from the iPhone and put it in the 6P, right? It's that simple? This is my first unlocked phone.

You also want to turn off imessages on the iPhone. There's horror stories of people not receiving text messages when switching away from iphone because imessage eats them up.

Milpool

Did it say it would ship by today? I want mine to ship but I doubt it will :(

Yeah mine was 'dispatched from warehouse by 27th' with a 28th-30th delivery estimate. I ordered pretty much as soon as the site went live I think.

Looks like some orders with Nov estimates are going out too according to reddit.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah mine was 'dispatched from warehouse by 27th' with a 28th-30th delivery estimate. I ordered pretty much as soon as the site went live I think.

Yeah I doubt mine will go anywhere today

I'm not that lucky or lucky at all for that matter.

Friends "leave warehouse by the 30th" also shipped which is the same as mine. Come on google.

Ty4on

Have you looked at your phone? Shit is tiny as fuck and running fucking crazy specs.

News flash... ALL PHONES THROTTLE

Your trying to stick multiple cpu cores, gpus, lots of RAM, BT, NFC, DSP, WiFi ect.. In shit that's slightly larger than a pack of playing cards.

All phones?
77771.png

It's not just the screen resolution. In the same test the 6+ achieved 32fps which is just 2fps lower than its initial run. The 6S+ and 6+' internal screen res (remember that it downscales everything to 1080p) is sort of in between 1080p and 1440p. It's 32% more pixels than 1080p while 1440p has 34% more pixels.

From what I've seen on GFX' web pages (they upload what people using their benchmark achieve) the 6S and 6S+ are held down by the 60fps limit, but battery life is similar to their predecessors so they might throttle in a more demanding workload.

Apple also doesn't use fairy dust for their GPUs. I'm sure they have some special deals (I think the A8X GPU layout is still undisclosed), but PowerVR supply GPUs to other chip makers like Intel and Mediatek. The trick is running it at a sensible clock rate and voltage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just because you out peform someone doesn't mean you can't throttle.

Apple has just worked on this to be less of an issue, and specifically highlited this last year at one of their conferences.

Have you looked at your phone? Shit is tiny as fuck and running fucking crazy specs.

News flash... ALL PHONES THROTTLE

Your trying to stick multiple cpu cores, gpus, lots of RAM, BT, NFC, DSP, WiFi ect.. In shit that's slightly larger than a pack of playing cards.

Every computer device throttles if it hits a thermal level.

That's not the point.

If people are running benchmarks all day then of course it's going to throttle.

If it's throttling with web browsing or watching a video then it's a far more serious issue.

The 820 is using the best manufacturing process and it still requires a heat sink? That kinda tells me it throttles under normal conditions. You don't put a heat sink for extreme conditions.

Hasney

The 820 is using the best manufacturing process and it still requires a heat sink? That kinda tells me it throttles under normal conditions. You don't put a heat sink for extreme conditions.

Why don't you? Especially if that company doing it wants the CPU and GPU running hard as it pushes its VR product using the phone?

They're the last company that wants their performance dropping at any point if they can help it.

Why don't you? Especially if that company doing it wants the CPU and GPU running hard as it pushes its VR product using the phone?

They're the last company that wants their performance dropping at any point if they can help it.

I don't think VR is a major selling point and/or a major use case.
And besides, it's the law of diminishing returns which is especially the case with mobiles devices (battery).

Wait, HTC is going to increase the price of the A9 100 dollars? Who runs this company?
They deserve to go bankrupt.

Hasney

And besides, it's the law of diminishing returns which is especially the case with mobiles devices (battery).

I agree with the first part, but Samsung is pushing VR hard and they're the ones trying to manage the heat. They're just not getting much traction I don't believe.

Airan

What's a good music player app to use in the car? I've always used PowerAMP while leaving the screen on so I can swipe to switch tracks/albums without looking at the phone but I'm planning to get a 6P and after reading of potential burn-in from AMOLED I'm guessing I'll have to try some other app/solution.

snacknuts

we all knew her
That's all?

The ones I listed are pretty much the only paid apps I use with any regularity on my phone, with the possible exception of PicSay Pro, which I use fairly often for cropping and painting on screenshots. Most of what I use is made by Google or otherwise free, and I don't really play games on my phone.

Rengoku

What are some good apps to buy?

Lets see... here are some highlights (aside from what's been mentioned so far)

Paid:
FlightTrack
Plex
Solid Explorer
Tasker
Torque
Weather Timeline

Free:
Aftership
Aviary
Citymapper
Greenify
Helium
Messenger or Textra
Muzei
Office Lens
Pushbullet
Splitwise
Swiftkey
Trigger
Waze

Agent

The anticipation of a shipping email is killing me. It's been 24 hours since I was charged and moved to processing, but not shipped. I'm having mine delivered to work so it probably will have to ship by today to get it Friday.

My Project Fi sim, Adopted Case, and new Chromecast are out for delivery now which will make it worse. It will suck to have everything but the phone haha.

Saiyan-Rox

Lets see... here are some highlights (aside from what's been mentioned so far)

Paid:
FlightTrack
Plex
Solid Explorer
Tasker
Torque
Weather Timeline

Free:
Aftership
Aviary
Citymapper
Greenify
Helium
Messenger or Textra
Muzei
Office Lens
Pushbullet
Splitwise
Swiftkey
Trigger
Waze

Textra is well worth a buy. Completely forgot thats one of my paid apps.

Wait, HTC is going to increase the price of the A9 100 dollars? Who runs this company?
They deserve to go bankrupt.

It's well known it was going to go up.

Thanks for the recommendations. I already know/have most of the good free apps. I have the $50 Google Play credit and I'm wondering what I should buy.

Anyone know the name of the platforming game MKB was playing in the 6P review?

kami_sama

Thanks for the recommendations. I already know/have most of the good free apps. I have the $50 Google Play credit and I'm wondering what I should buy.

Anyone know the name of the platforming game MKB was playing in the 6P review?

Monument Valley. I can also recommend Hitman GO and Lara Croft GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom