• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

Carphone warehouse is apparently getting stock this week even as soon as today. Refreshing the stock page and if one appears in store before the play store ships in going for it even if it is silver.

Thanks! I've been getting better today holding the phone by the fingertips. Definitely planning on getting a case as well so that's no issue for me.

But the one thing that's worrying me now is the battery life. I don't think it's quite what it should be. I got the Verizon version and apparently it's got some battery life issues? At least according to a thread from reddit. From a full charge I'm down to 17% after about 16 hrs on battery and about 4 hours of active use. That's about as much battery performance as I was getting on my iPhone 5s, which is alarming considering it's a 2 year old phone with a much smaller battery.

This is my first Android phone, so I don't really know how all the optimization apps work. Apparently people are having spotty performance out of their batteries while others have phenomenal battery life? Has anyone heard of this?

Verizon Note 4's are still on 5.0.1 because you know Verizon. AT&T Note 4's got their 5.1.1 update earlier this month so I'm hoping the Verizon ones will get it soon.

Without seeing your phone it's hard to say what might be causing a battery drain on yours though. It depends on what you were doing too, if you had 4 hours of screen on playing a game or something you're going to kill your battery pretty hard. If you're seeing battery drain while using Chrome, try the Samsung stock browser instead. On Android, battery life will vary wildly from one device to another and it will depend on what you have installed, what's running, what you're doing, etc. It's not like on iOS where apps are heavily restricted on what they can do so sometimes if you get a battery drain you need to hunt down the offending app and terminate it with extreme prejudice.

flameknight

Neo Member
Just got my Nexus 5X and I'm pretty happy with it since my old phone was a Nexus 4. Its nice to actually have a camera that doesn't take like 6 seconds to take a photo

tzare

It seems the majority of people don't really want to mess with SD cards these days. It's just a more streamlined experience. See: iphone.

it is fine, just leave the slot empty and for those who care or use a lot of media. It is just convenient to have.

Saiyan-Rox

Friend of mine who knows a guy who works in carphone is gonna message me if the stock arrives and is gonna hold me one over.

Could have my 6P by the end of the day.

Wreav

Banned
After using a 6S+ for the weekend and hating the size, I predict there are going to be a lot of people coming from the N5 who absolutely hate the 6P size.

Only the Note 4 has gotten the big size right in terms of comfort and holdability.

Milpool

Well the stock didn't arrive :(

Still team pending

Mine says 'Dispatched from warehouse by 27 October' so I imagine they'll start processing today or tomorrow for the people who ordered early on the UK play store. I hope they don't use parcel force...

Saiyan-Rox

Mine says 'Dispatched from warehouse by 27 October' so I imagine they'll start processing today or tomorrow for the people who ordered early on the UK play store. I hope they don't use parcel force...

My case says that and hasnt been shipped yet it's still processing. My phone says despatched by the 30th and its still pending. Would have been nice to go grab one today. Apparently most of the stock carphone had for stores is being recalled.

After using a 6S+ for the weekend and hating the size, I predict there are going to be a lot of people coming from the N5 who absolutely hate the 6P size.

Only the Note 4 has gotten the big size right in terms of comfort and holdability.

Note 5 is ever so slightly smaller than the Note 4 but yeah I agree. Phablets are simply too big for me, I feel like 5.7 inches or higher is too big of a phone territory but samsung definitely does it one of the best.

I'm looking for recommendations for a phone for my mom.

Must haves:

* Top notch camera (doesn't have to be the best, but should be good). She is taking a lot of pictures of her grandkids now and has stopped using her point-and-shoot altogether.

* Good price off contract. Samsung S6 Edge it out of the question.

* SD card slot. She takes a lot of pictures and videos and doesn't want to manage the phone memory so much

* Works on Sprint, works internationally (Taiwan)

Good to have:

* Durable construction, water resistant

* Smallish to moderate size (she's got small hands)

Not important:

* Doesn't have to have super high res screen

* She's not gaming on it, so don't need super high perf GPU/CPU

For reference, she currently has a first gen Moto X and is quite happy with it except that she's out of storage.

My current candidates are HTC One A9 and Moto X Pure. The Moto G is an even better candidate, but it's SD support is limited to 32GB :(

this_guy

Been using the 5x all weekend coming from a 2014 Moto X.

The size is fine for me for one handed use. It is tall for a 5.2" screen because of the huge bezels. It feels similar in height to the LG G3 I had, but much easier to use one handed because it's not as wide. The phone feels solid but it's not going to blow you away like an all metal phone would.

Performance is snappy. Not much to say here because the Moto X was also snappy so neither an upgrade nor downgrade. Haven't really messed around with Now On Tap so no opinions there. It's nice to have an led light for notifications and the ambient display as well, but it doesn't have the sensor like on Motorola so you can wave your hand to get the display to light up. You have to pick up the phone for that. The fingerprint sensor is really nice to have and unlocks very quickly, and I think every phone I get going forward will need one.

The camera so far is excellent in low light situations. Pretty much all cameras nowadays can take decent pictures in outdoor and bright light situations, so if a phone also takes great pictures in dimly lit areas it works for me. Blows away the Moto X (I rarely used the camera with it because pictures were so bad) and better than the LG G3 I had (both have laser autofocus but the 5x has a newer and larger sensor).

Battery life has been good, but not great. I can easily make it through the day, and I was probably playing with my phone more than usual this weekend since it's my new toy. So far I'm getting roughly 4-4.5 hours of screen on time.

Must haves:

* Top notch camera (doesn't have to be the best, but should be good). She is taking a lot of pictures of her grandkids now and has stopped using her point-and-shoot altogether.

* SD card slot. She takes a lot of pictures and videos and doesn't want to manage the phone memory so much

* Works on Sprint, works internationally

Good to have:

Not important:

For reference, she currently has a first gen Moto X and is quite happy with it except that she's out of storage.

My current candidates are HTC One A9 and Moto X Pure. The Moto G is an even better candidate, but it's SD support is limited to 32GB :(

Moto G supports cards over 32gb, probably just has to be formatted as fat32 instead of exfat - so no files over 4gb.

SimleuqiR

I hate AMOLED.

This isn't something that will bother everyone, but checking for burn-in, I can already see (after one week!) some very very light retention of the nav buttons, which is a huge downer. The Nexus 6 eventually got so bad that I could see a sharp line where the nav bar was, and the old nav icons (since Google shifted them in a software update) pretty much at all times, and I was hoping the 6P's panel wouldn't suffer the same fate.

I hate this tech with a passion. But I guess I have to use it. It's one of the compromises I've made. That and the size of the phone.

Even with Marshmallow's advancements in battery conservation, battery life still doesn't feel like it was a top priority with the 6P. It's definitely passable, but at the same time not at all impressive. As we approach a time where - in my mind - battery life should be one of the biggest differentiators between smartphones, the 6P just isn't winning any points for staying alive. Can this be improved with later updates? Who knows?

Welp. I knew battery life was not gonna be as good as some people have been saying. I guess they got the camera issue solved. Will have to work on that battery life next year.

You sure? Because the specs on the Motorola site seem to limit it to 32GB

Cards over 32gb by specification have to be formatted in exfat - which means paying a royalty to Microsoft. Maybe that's why Motorola doesn't say the Moto G supports cards over 32gb.

But 64gb and 128gb cards do work on the Moto G.

Cards over 32gb by specification have to be formatted in exfat - which means paying a royalty to Microsoft. Maybe that's why Motorola doesn't say the Moto G supports cards over 32gb.

But 64gb and 128gb cards do work on the Moto G.

Thanks for that info.

How is the camera on the G compared to the first gen X? Her photos now are a bit on the cool side (blue/purple tinge).

From what I've been reading, the A9 is supposed to have a really good camera.

Saiyan-Rox

I hate AMOLED.

I hate this tech with a passion. But I guess I have to use it. It's one of the compromises I've made. That and the size of the phone.

Welp. I knew battery life was not gonna be as good as some people have been saying. I guess they got the camera issue solved. Will have to work on that battery life next year.

I will say I never noticed any screen burn on my N6 and I would have noticed if it was there, I fucking hate screen burn it was the reason I got rid of my first gen nexus 7 and my old windows tablet.

But if there's concerns over these screens having it I may just keep my play store order as I hear Google are pretty decent when it comes to faults like these and CPW aren't.

Ty4on

Funny how everyone were complaining of the 2700mAh battery in the 5X when it looks like it beats the 6P.

That out of the way, here's what I'll say about the 6P's battery: it lasts all day for me, and not much longer. I can generally expect to have it off the charger for about 13-14 hours before hitting the 15% "low battery" warning, with about 3 hours screen on time during that period. The 3 hour SOT measurement has been pretty consistent throughout my experience with the 6P so far. For context, I usually carry the 6P around with WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS on, with adaptive brightness set.

As for active use, I'm reasonably happy with the Nexus 5X and its 2700mAh battery. In a single day, I think you can eke out roughly 5+ hours of screen time over about 20 hours of use. I've had no problem getting from early morning to late evening with another 20% left in the tank. This is based on my usage, which will of course differ from yours. I use phones mostly for messaging, browsing the web, Reddit, photos, and a little light gaming.

With a 2700mAh battery and 1080p screen, I think the active battery life could stand to be a little better. It's not bad as it stands, but I'm sure you can stretch it by dropping the brightness. I left it right in the middle with ambient mode turned on, but it's a bright LCD in general.

Pyrokai

I will say I never noticed any screen burn on my N6 and I would have noticed if it was there, I fucking hate screen burn it was the reason I got rid of my first gen nexus 7 and my old windows tablet.

But if there's concerns over these screens having it I may just keep my play store order as I hear Google are pretty decent when it comes to faults like these and CPW aren't.

May I ask what CPW is? I ordered mine through the Huawei site.....I hope they allow returns/exchanges 0_o

Airan

Must haves:

* Works on Sprint, works internationally (Taiwan)

Good to have:

Not important:

I vote for Sony Xperia Z5 Compact.

Rengoku

Funny how everyone were complaining of the 2700mAh battery in the 5X when it looks like it beats the 6P.

So according to AP, the 5X gets 5 hours SOT, and the 6P gets 3 hours?
That's a huge difference. Either theres something really wrong with the 6P, or SOT is just a meaningless figure for comparison.

Airan

Good price off contract rules it out instantly.

Well the HTC One A9 is £480 off contract, so I was basing his budget around there. The Moto X Pure (or did you mean Play?) is £350 without any of the Moto Maker customization (£400 otherwise last I checked) so that is the cheapest.

[edit] I just realized you're not from the UK, d'oh. Ignore my suggestion then, I don't know US prices. I don't think Sony sell the Z5 in the US anyway :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
With cloud back up would she even really need more than 32 gigs for an SD card anyways? If she is serious about her photos she'd want to back them up anyways.

That's a huge difference. Either theres something really wrong with the 6P, or SOT is just a meaningless figure for comparison.

Leaving wifi on the whole day when not connected probably doesn't help much

Saiyan-Rox

Well the screen on the 6P will use more power since it's a higher resolution and AMOLED

Taiwan. Sprint.

No clue

Yeah, lots of conflicting info.

I want to switch off of Sprint as I'm conveniently off contract, but then I've got to get all new phones (wife and I both have HTC One M7 and mom has Moto X gen 1 -- which will probably work fine on T-Mo.)

Seems cheaper for me to stay on Sprint until I need to switch phones.

Currently on an unlimited family data plan with 3 phones and it's only $150/mo.

Ashes

Banned

Who is AP? I definitely saw someone report 6p at near full brightness tests and it had nearly four hours screen on time a day for that person. By that measure 5x would have 8 hours? Seems unlikely.

HawkeyeIC

The AP review of the 6p showed the worst battery life I've seen in any of the reviews. Most have said that the 6p has better battery life than the 5x.

NomarTyme

Yeah, lots of conflicting info.

I want to switch off of Sprint as I'm conveniently off contract, but then I've got to get all new phones (wife and I both have HTC One M7 and mom has Moto X gen 1 -- which will probably work fine on T-Mo.)

Seems cheaper for me to stay on Sprint until I need to switch phones.

Currently on an unlimited family data plan with 3 phones and it's only $150/mo.
Used iphone 5 64gb used? 64 gb is more than enough even without sd card.

Ty4on

Totally apples to oranges with different reviewers, but not unique. AndroidHeadlines got 8h with the 5X and 6.5h with the 6P.
The only standardized test I know of is Ars' web browsing test (200nits) where the 6P won by 15%.

SoT varies a lot. I get next to nothing because my phone is playing podcasts most of the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Totally apples to oranges with different reviewers, but not unique. AndroidHeadlines got 8h with the 5X and 6.5h with the 6P.
The only standardized test I know of is Ars' web browsing test (200nits) where the 6P won by 15%.

SoT varies a lot. I get next to nothing because my phone is playing podcasts most of the time.

Dat crazy AH reviewer

#INeedToSeeReceipts.gif

AP had different reviewers for the 5x and 6p, so those battery results are not comparable at all. Different usage patterns, etc.

The guy reviewing the 6p would probably get sub 2 hours on the 5x, for all we know.

Ty4on

Dat crazy AH reviewer

#INeedToSeeReceipts.gif

Nexus-5x-AH-battery.jpg
Nexus-6p-AH-battery.jpg
5X on the left, 6P on the right. (or top and bottom on a small screen)
He was one of the first to put up reviews so the sample size is tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom