• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamYUKI

WTF?

Just got my 6P. I try to swap my T-Mobile micro-SIM into my new 6P but it doesn't fit. I guess it needs a nano-SIM?!

I gotta cut shit to make it fit?! Or do I need a brand new nano-SIM card? I was using one of those Walmart $30 pre-paid SIM starter kits in my Nexus 5.

adamYUKI

You would think people check the specs before buying a new phone though just in case you need to buy new accessories.

Point taken. It never occurred to me that nano-SIMS exist, so I never even wondered about compatibility. :'(

If I don't wanna take a risk cutting the existing SIM, I have to pay T-Mobile $15 for a new nano. Sucks, but whatever.

I will say that the 6P feels absolutely incredible in the hand. So premium! Wow.

SimleuqiR

WTF?

Just got my 6P. I try to swap my T-Mobile micro-SIM into my new 6P but it doesn't fit. I guess it needs a nano-SIM?!

I gotta cut shit to make it fit?! Or do I need a brand new nano-SIM card? I was using one of those Walmart $30 pre-paid SIM starter kits in my Nexus 5.

And this is why today I went to the Tmobile store near my place to get a new nano-Sim.
The old Nexus 5 uses micro-sim

My sim is ready!

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
WTF?

I bought one of those sim cutters on Amazon. It worked great.

adamYUKI

Love T-Mobile! Their stores were quoting me a price of $15 for nano-SIM. Their website, however, has this sim99 promotion where their nano-SIM starter kit costs .99 cents! I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of days to use the new phone, but I'm happy I saved some cash.

Sprint better have a sim for me Wednesday if it comes before work. A friend that works there didn't know anything about it on the 14th when they were doing activations finally

SimleuqiR

I'm going to guess with no proof that it enables T-Mobile's band 12? Didn't the 5X have the same thing?

Yeah my 5x also had a 40+mb update out of the box. I'm also speculating that it was for T-mobile band 12 but I don't use T-Mobile myself.

I have a screenshot of it but it's nothing specific. Just the standard optimizations and fixes line. Phone is upgrading otherwise I'd post the image.

Probably has a brand new modem driver.

HTC's A9 limited pricing expires on November 7th.....at which point it'll be priced at $500 in the US.

What a nice competitor to the Nexus 6P.

Makes sense. HTC is only expecting to sell like 65 phones to the last 65 remaining HTC diehards in the US anyways. Might as well get as much as they can while they still can.

NotBacon

Been busy all day, but when I finally sat down on my couch I remembered mkbhd was posting his 6P review tonight. So I checked "new" in /r/android. Dat timing.

1t4mPH5.jpg

got my $50 credit already for the N6P only like 8 hours after it went to shipped. Bought a bunch of crap off the Play Store and not a single app, a bunch of books and movies and that credit is gone with the quickness

tzare

Who the fuck still uses a micro sim?

most phones are micro, not nano. Really i do not understand the need for nano sim, it is not that smaller and it is a pain in the neck if you switch phones to have to change it from carriers that some even charge you a few euros for that.

Cipherr

I have good signal at my office, WiFi has filters, so I don't use it.

LG G4

I got 2.5 hours, seems really low to me.

Man, I got 2.0 hours of screentime once on a Galaxy Nexus with a bunch of apps designed to lower battery usage.

Once. But I legit got it. On a Galaxy Nexus. 2.5 hours is shit tier for a phone that launched when the G4 did. Either that's a terrible phone or it's a bad battery.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My minute 1 Frost still hasn't come through. I like to think no Frosts have shipped yet.

Can't fault samsung for not trying if this is true:

According to a new report from Business Korea, Samsung is making every effort to fix heating issues in the Snapdragon 820 chipset and trying to optimize it. The company is trying to release a patch before the end of this month by modifying the microprocessor control program. If this step doesn’t solve the issue, the company is planning to use heat radiating pipes to improve heat dissipation, which means that Samsung is hell bent on using the Snapdragon 820 in the Galaxy S7 at all costs.

The company is trying to stabilize the chipset because the Snapdragon 820 is being manufactured using Samsung’s 14nm FinFET process. The better the performance of the Snapdragon 820, the higher the sales of the Galaxy S7 as well as Snapdragon 820 chips.

Them gains:

The company claims that the Snapdragon 820 offers upto 40 percent faster graphic performance while being 40 percent power efficient than the Snapdragon 810.

On one hand it's kinda laughable that we need fucking heatpipes in our phones.

On the other hand, it's amazing how fast these SoCs get and how much they performance they gain with every year.

I suppose you can't have it both ways.
Apple says "hi"

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's just bad engineering. They're losing focus on what makes a good mobile processor.

Hasney

It's just bad engineering. They're losing focus on what makes a good mobile processor.

Yup. Samsungs chip beats out even the A9 in multi core performance, but they've not got heat issues from what I've seen. Plus the heat is usually from drawing more power, so I don't know how it's producing too much heat while sipping the battery better. It's going to to be a believe when I see it issue, because one of the two claims of heat and efficiency is likely wrong.

The 800, 801 and 805 all thermal throttle, just not to the joke levels of 810. It's likely they've just got it back down to those levels and Samsung are trying to make it perfect. Judging by some videos I saw with watercooling experiments, the Exynos and A9 don't thermal throttle at all, so it's likely they just want it at that level.

So, there's a chance that the 820 might become a similar dud as the 810 was, at least in terms of heat issues and throttling to standalone calculator levels?

Great, i hope that this is a mistranslation or not true at all, and that Samsung really just wants to squeeze the most out of power/efficiency... i'm not in for another skip-year.

I'm not too worried tbh. This is probably a normal part of the chip making process, only difference is we don't usually get news on it because there was never an issue like the 810. So now we're getting the minutea.

Ty4on

Can't fault samsung for not trying if this is true:

Them gains:

Wow, that sounds awful. I guess the GPU in the 810 should have told us the issue was mainly Qualcomm ramping up frequencies to compete with benchmark scores and not the use of ARM cores.

Gains aren't very impressive compared to Apple who had the same die shrink, but almost doubled performance.
The 800, 801 and 805 all thermal throttle, just not to the joke levels of 810. It's likely they've just got it back down to those levels and Samsung are trying to make it perfect. Judging by some videos I saw with watercooling experiments, the Exynos and A9 don't thermal throttle at all, so it's likely they just want it at that level.
The Exynos 7420 throttles like crazy as well.
TRexHD_GN5_575px.png

Jigolo

Just picked up an HTC Re for $50 straight from HTC new. If your camera lens is fucked like mine is this is a good substitute to hold you through till a new phone.

tzare

40 percent more efficient but needs heat pipes?

probably 40% more efficient at same performance level, but if it is 40% more powerfull it means it is at least as hot as 810 running full speed. So, i understand, same performance as 810 without heating issues and less battery drain, when more performance is needed, the teorical you could have from 820, then you are facing similar issues as 810, so probably throttled

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wonder WTF people do on their phones to warrant so much thermal throttling.

Looks like Samsung's chip manufacturing is subpar.

Have you looked at your phone? Shit is tiny as fuck and running fucking crazy specs.

News flash... ALL PHONES THROTTLE

Your trying to stick multiple cpu cores, gpus, lots of RAM, BT, NFC, DSP, WiFi ect.. In shit that's slightly larger than a pack of playing cards.

Pyrokai

Been busy all day, but when I finally sat down on my couch I remembered mkbhd was posting his 6P review tonight. So I checked "new" in /r/android. Dat timing.

1t4mPH5.jpg

Is that a Reddit app??? Or is that Google Now? It's been a while since I've see Google Now.......but I am desperately searching for a good Reddit app. Alien Blue doesn't cut it for me.

Mindwipe

Is that a Reddit app??? Or is that Google Now? It's been a while since I've see Google Now.......but I am desperately searching for a good Reddit app. Alien Blue doesn't cut it for me.

It's Relay for Reddit.

(I personally cannot stand that configuration, it has nowhere near enough articles on screen, but Relay is very attractive and has pretty good layout customisation actions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom