• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there anything that does Zoe like photos for non HTC phones

hasn't HTC already released the Zoe app which works on non-htc phones? This article is from last year:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...an-make-and-share-pretty-videos-apk-download/

And I originally thought LG was paying for the ads but now I don't think so. The 5X I guess is just the most crowdpleasing one. It has a brand attached to it that people are familiar with (LG), the size is more suitable to the majority of people, and the phone is cheaper than the other.

zatara

hasn't HTC already released the Zoe app which works on non-htc phones? This article is from last year:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...an-make-and-share-pretty-videos-apk-download/

And I originally thought LG was paying for the ads but now I don't think so. The 5X I guess is just the most crowdpleasing one. It has a brand attached to it that people are familiar with (LG), the size is more suitable to the majority of people, and the phone is cheaper than the other.

thanks dude but I was meaning something more along the lines of how it takes short videos as photos where you can pick shots

So I received my Nexus 5X two days ago. The battery life is terrible. I still have my Z3 Compact, which before charging today had been on for 3 days. I am thinking of returning the 5X. I love being back on stock (but also see how OEM's do some stuff better), the larger screen and 1080p resolution, dislike the fingerprint reader on the back (but it works well). I will see in a few days if the battery life gets better, but this phone is reminding me of my previous Nexus 4 in the battery department. Also the volume buttons are too sensitive.

thanks dude but I was meaning something more along the lines of how it takes short videos as photos where you can pick shots
No clue :(

We haven't posted our homescreens in a long time. Let's see em. Mine:

y5DvyRh.jpg

ty_hot

I'm looking for a phone for my gf. She has a Nexus 7 (2013) and an Asus notebook, so when she saw Asus had Android phone on her price range she already wanted it.

The thing is, Asus just released (this month!) the Asus Zenfone Go, to replace last year'a Zenfone 5. Its thiner, lighters bla bla bla costs more and has worst performance. WTF. Asus did such a great job last year, Asus Zenfone 5 was great, and now a year later they release its sucessor and its worst?

On Antutu the Go scores 20k, while Zenfone 5 goes up to 23k. Ok not a big difference, and its just a benchmark... then you check games: half of the performance almost. HALF. For the NEW PHONE, that even costs MORE.

Come on. Now she wants the Zenfone 5 (even though every review she reads says the battery doesn't hold up for a single day). I wanted her to have the Go as it should get the 6.0 update (and is on 5.1 already, out of the box), but Asus fucked up things and I wouldnt put a cent on their hands for it.

Problem> she doesnt like Motorola (tried to convice for a Moto G) and doesn't want 'a chinese phone' (Xiaomi for example).

Any other options in this price range?

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm looking for a phone for my gf. She has a Nexus 7 (2013) and an Asus notebook, so when she saw Asus had Android phone on her price range she already wanted it.

The thing is, *bla bla bla*

Just get her the phone she wants and, as a supportive boyfriend, add a battery pack to keep in her purse/pocket

Noema

Here's mine. I try to stick to Material Design-ish wallpapers.

The thing is, Asus just released (this month!) the Asus Zenfone Go, to replace last year'a Zenfone 5. Its thiner, lighters bla bla bla costs more and has worst performance. WTF. Asus did such a great job last year, Asus Zenfone 5 was great, and now a year later they release its sucessor and its worst?

On Antutu the Go scores 20k, while Zenfone 5 goes up to 23k. Ok not a big difference, and its just a benchmark... then you check games: half of the performance almost. HALF. For the NEW PHONE, that even costs MORE.

Come on. Now she wants the Zenfone 5 (even though every review she reads says the battery doesn't hold up for a single day). I wanted her to have the Go as it should get the 6.0 update (and is on 5.1 already, out of the box), but Asus fucked up things and I wouldnt put a cent on their hands for it.

Problem> she doesnt like Motorola (tried to convice for a Moto G) and doesn't want 'a chinese phone' (Xiaomi for example).

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there any reason not to go for the ZenFone 2? There's a $200 version which is much faster than the ZenFone 5 and has a 5.5" 1080p display, a competent camera, 3000mAh battery and should be getting 6.0.

The One Plus X will be released in early November and should be a pretty good value for $250 (availability might be an issue as usual with OP devices though), but on paper we're talking about a SD801 with 3GB of RAM, 5" 1080 AMOLED and hopefully a more than decent camera for just $30 more than the 2GB Moto G.

Ixian

Nice battery life on the Nexus 6P. Looking forward to getting it... though it'll still take me a while to get over the headphone port location.

ty_hot

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there any reason not to go for the ZenFone 2? There's a $200 version which is much faster than the ZenFone 5 and has a 5.5" 1080p display and should be getting 6.0.

The One Plus X will be released in early November and should be a pretty good value for $250 (availability might be an issue as usual with OP devices though), but on paper we're talking about a SD801 with 3GB of RAM, 5" 1080 AMOLED and hopefully a more than decent camera for just $30 more than the 2GB Moto G.

Zenfone 2 costs 300 dollars here (Brazil). We could get the Zenfone Go for around 150. She liked the Zenfone 2 but she wont spend that much on a phone (she doesn't even have a data plan).

We are moving to Europe again next year, so unless we find a great deal on Black Friday (around here BF is basically open season for scams) we will wait to buy a new phone there.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there any reason not to go for the ZenFone 2? There's a $200 version which is much faster than the ZenFone 5 and has a 5.5" 1080p display, a competent camera, 3000mAh battery and should be getting 6.0.

Rocking that open source podcaster I see. Switched off beyond pod when I realized it was keeping Google music and YouTube open while it was in use (can't force close them)

Noema

Rocking that open source podcaster I see. Switched off beyond pod when I realized it was keeping Google music and YouTube open while it was in use (can't force close them)

AntennaPod is definitely the best free Podcasts app I've tried on Android. It's pretty good. Lightweight and also light on battery usage.

In other news, I finally managed to flash CM12.1 on my Moto G. I tried and failed last week because for some reason the process with just hung at "Patching system image unconditionally..." without actually flashing the ROM. I'd used CM11 for a while before and I'd never had any problems so this was definitely weird.

Turns out that, because I'd been using the GPE ROM, (which uses a different file system, EXT4) my partition table got changed, because the recovery tries to write a block that exceeds the partition size (/system of the GPE partition table seems to be smaller than the CM one) which results in the flashing process failing. Luckily there's an easy fix via fastboot.

I'm excited. Feels like having a new phone, ha! Today I helped a friend set up her brand new Galaxy S6 and using a premium, flashy, shiny, snappy flagship like that left me wanting for more. This should scratch the itch until I get a new phone, hopefully by the end of the year.

Hasney

So I received my Nexus 5X two days ago. The battery life is terrible. I still have my Z3 Compact, which before charging today had been on for 3 days. I am thinking of returning the 5X. I love being back on stock (but also see how OEM's do some stuff better), the larger screen and 1080p resolution, dislike the fingerprint reader on the back (but it works well). I will see in a few days if the battery life gets better, but this phone is reminding me of my previous Nexus 4 in the battery department. Also the volume buttons are too sensitive.

It can take a couple of discharges after setup to get the battery and working properly, but don't expect Z3 compact levels of battery life. That thing was just a beast and nothing comes close. Even Song haven't managed to replicate it again.

Jzero

My 5x got stolen off my porch. Why Google doesn't require signature confirmation on phone orders I will never understand.

Honestly, every single shipper allows you to sign up for their website and manage your shipments online. If you didn't want to get anything stolen you should have signed up and requested that they let you pick it up at one of their locations.

But yea people are bastards

No Love

Banned
It can take a couple of discharges after setup to get the battery and working properly, but don't expect Z3 compact levels of battery life. That thing was just a beast and nothing comes close. Even Song haven't managed to replicate it again.

Z6 Compact with SD820 (if it's really as battery efficient as Qualcomm claims) and a 720p screen should be bonkers. 4-5 day battery life?

Ashes

Banned
I am trying to help someone set up a phone except they don't trust google and don't want/have a google account.

Didn't know you could have contacts app without google account. Funny that they don't trust google, and they use Android. :p

Anyways, if it's motorola you can use their migration app. I think sony has one too. Don't know about the others.

Hasney

I am trying to help someone set up a phone except they don't trust google and don't want/have a google account.

Yeah, without an OEM tool, it's not going to happen I'm afraid. Really have to question why they'd use Google software if they don't trust them though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One of my favorite things about the Nexus 6 is the sim tray. It is excellent. How's the N6P's tray feel?

Potential 6P issues:

* [Back panel uneven or raised.](http://imgur.com/8b98DJd)
* [Scuffs or scratches on the back](http://i.imgur.com/365pnIw.jpg)
* [LTE antennae clearly visible, the front (and possibly rear) camera could be scratched too.](http://imgur.com/a/Xftkg)
* Internal noises (clickity and rattling noises)
* Speaker quality unevenness / other problems
* Screen coloring issues

Thats all i got so far.

I know it's stupid, because it could and does happen with other manufacturers as well, but it reaffirms my stance on never paying a premium price for a Huawei product.

Ashes

Banned
Beware of bendgate, burngate, and scratchgate on the 6P.

Definitely putting tempered glass and a case now.

https://youtu.be/tTIaUH6PIvo

Wait.. So gorilla glass 4 is worse than gorilla glass 3? not doubting my eyes, but that's very surprising.

you see that guys, don't light your phone on fire and bend it.

Er... he broke that thing so easily though.. You know how hard it is to bend a phone?

edit: Gorrila glass is 6.8. Hmm interesting.

Jzero

All the cases on Amazon have small charge holes so i canceled my order and ordered the official ADOPTED case. Expensive as fuck for such a basic case.

Ashes

Banned
It has never happened to me. And yes I owned an iphone 6, gasp :O

But I've also never put my iphone in my backpocket and sat on it.

lol. Better than somebody I know who tried to prove that it was BS and ruined his phone. But it's an iphone, and they just replaced his at the store. No idea what all this insurance is about if that is what they do.

Just so you know, I did read that glass is actually pretty alright when it comes to being scratch proof. Keys and knives are really not going to scratch it. Unless you have a diamond encrusted knife.

Scratches normally happen on the cases. Only time I recall scratches on some one's screen* is this this one time a friend dropped theirs at the beach. Must have been some minerals in there that scratched it pretty bad. Quartz, diamond or limestone maybe..

edit: *proper scratches

MarkusRJR

I downloaded it and promptly removed it. Instead of Google Now when I swiped to the left it was my contacts. When I swiped to the right it was more contacts.
Yeah I did the exact same thing. Pretty awful tbh. I mean even Yahoo's launcher Aviate is more appealing to me. When a Yahoo product is better than yours that's embarrassing.

All the cases on Amazon have small charge holes so i canceled my order and ordered the official ADOPTED case. Expensive as fuck for such a basic case.

The port is too small for the charger that comes in the box. If you use a different cable, it fits fine. I'm using the universal 15w charger that Google sells, and the cable fits fine in my verus case. For some reason, the stock charger cord is super thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom