• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furyous

Doesn't it have a micro SD card slot? kinda solves that issue.

huh?? How does it solve the issue?

Baroque mantic, what clock widget are you using?

---

Is there anyway to increase the dpi on the Z5C without root? What's new in rumors? I need something to get excited for as I try to find an android device for myself with my kameelah ass list for Android smartphones.

Saiyan-Rox

huh?? How does it solve the issue?

Baroque mantic, what clock widget are you using?

---

Is there anyway to increase the dpi on the Z5C without root? What's new in rumors? I need something to get excited for as I try to find an android device for myself with my kameelah ass list for Android smartphones.

Because then you can put whatever micro SD card in you want to increase the storage??

People in here always complain about the lack of SD card support

zatara

anyone else getting a decent amount of jank on their 5x? not just the camera I'm talking tapping an app icon... seeing it dim...then like a half second layer it decides to open kinda shit.

ajpw

anyone else getting a decent amount of jank on their 5x? not just the camera I'm talking tapping an app icon... seeing it dim...then like a half second layer it decides to open kinda shit.

did you get the ota? that sped up the camera opening a bit for me

lunchtoast

Had the phone since last wed and still no playstore credit of 50% off case. They continue to say "we're backed up, keep waiting! check your spam!"

Everyone else I know has gotten it as soon as it shipped.

Jigolo

If HTC lets me create their next flagship with their expertise and I get to price it (reasonably) I will put them back in business next year.

Jigolo

Well let's hear it.

Specs? Type of design and approximate price point?

Price - $499 32gb, 599 64gb, 699 128gb

- Classic HTC build (evleaks photo esque)

- Snapdragon 820, 3gbs LPDDR4, UFS 2.0

- 137 x 70 x 7.5 mm

- 5.2" 1080p OLED display

- Camera at G4 tier or better (OIS)

- Fingerprint sensor like Nexus devices

- No SD card slot, 2700 mAH, USB-C

Am I missing anything specific?

Really interesting article here guys. I'm gonna try to do snippets here but I'll end up quoting a lot of it. Must read.

The Next Major Industry Battle: Samsung Vs. Google:

Given the fact that 50 percent of Android devices are made by Samsung, and that Samsung's cut of any related profits is the same as even tiny companies that also back Android, if I were Samsung, I would be really pissed. I am making Google richer while potentially jeopardizing my future earnings potential by continuing to back Android.

Samsung clearly understands this. It's certainly rethinking its relationship with Google and its support for Android. In fact, at its recent developers' conference it showed off its own mobile OS that uses Tizen at its core and has even started paying developers to write apps for it.

There is a reason Samsung copies and steals from Apple: it looks at Apple's ownership of its entire ecosystem and lusts after it. Apple is mostly insulated from low-margin pressure since it not only profits from hardware but also from apps, products, and services. It can do so since it owns its OS and ecosystem and controls its destiny across the board. Put more directly, Apple gets all of the profits from hardware, software, ads, and services while in Samsung's case, Google gets most of the ad revenue, app sales profits, and services sales.

I think Samsung is working toward ditching Android completely sometime over the next three to five years to take complete control over its future. And this is where the backing of Tizen becomes interesting and important. Although Tizen has not attracted a lot of app support to date, if Samsung gets behind it and is able to prove to the market it will continue innovate around the platform, delivering hundreds of millions of smartphones and tablets annually under its brand, software developers would be crazy not to develop for it.
Now Google won't let Samsung dump it without a battle, but it likely won't adjust Samsung's revenue share either since by doing so it would probably have to offer similar terms to other big Android vendors too. Still, it could be creative in trying to keep Samsung in the Android fold as well as pressuring it in unimaginable ways. After all, what Google wants, Google mostly gets.

There's obviously a few more details/arguments in the link but it's all true and it's all pretty interesting.

z3phon

Damn I'm on the fence. I really like the nexus 6p but I'm not sure if I should get it or not. Currently have the iPhone 6.
How are you guys liking the phone?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Damn I'm on the fence. I really like the nexus 6p but I'm not sure if I should get it or not. Currently have the iPhone 6.
How are you guys liking the phone?

I like it. Upgraded from a Nexus 6. The slimmer profile and all aluminum body make it feel fantastic. Also it's fast. My Nexus 6 had started to slow recently.

So another day with the Nexus 5 and battery life was better but still bad. I have a portable battery coming, but I really need Sony to make a 5" Nexus next year complete with Xperia battery modes and optimizations. That would be perfect.

I disagree with his assessment of 3-5 years. That's super premature. But I guarantee you samsung thinks this stuff every damn day.
Yeah, I'm sure Samsung does as well, but I feel they've waited too late now for anything they do to make a difference. I can't imagine anything but a minority of people who would want to buy a Samsung phone without Google services, especially the Play Store. Hell, a crazy amount of people rely heavily on Google's services on iOS. But the difference there is they've got Apple and 3rd party stuff to also use and/out fall back on if they don't want/need to use Google. Samsung won't have that, just like Microsoft doesn't, and MS is in a much better position to pull something like this off than Samsung is.

Kevyt

So another day with the Nexus 5 and battery life was better but still bad. I have a portable battery coming, but I really need Sony to make a 5" Nexus next year complete with Xperia battery modes and optimizations. That would be perfect.

Yaaasss a Sony Nexus Phone. That would be dope. :3

SimleuqiR

Really interesting article here guys. I'm gonna try to do snippets here but I'll end up quoting a lot of it. Must read.

The Next Major Industry Battle: Samsung Vs. Google:

There's obviously a few more details/arguments in the link but it's all true and it's all pretty interesting.

Get used to just running Samsung copies of Google services....because we all know that they became so popular with their Android phones.

Samsung is and will always be an OEM. If they decide to go their own way, there are so many other OEMs looking to take their spot.

If anyone will be a "Like Apple" company that might be Microsoft. I just doubt seeing Samsung going on their own and having any traction.

Get used to just running Samsung copies of Google services....because we all know that they became so popular with their Android phones.

Samsung is and will always be an OEM. If they decide to go their own way, there are so many other OEMs looking to take their spot.

If anyone will be a "Like Apple" company that might be Microsoft. I just doubt seeing Samsung going on their own and having any traction.
you can't just take samsungs spot, samsung is a brand. If they stopped making android phones it doesn't mean all of a sudden LG will have their marketshare spike to samsung levels lol.

There's genuine danger both ways. For samsung it's a hard road ahead. They'll have to spend TONS to get full control like apple. And for google you gotta protect samsung to an extent because they are the face of android. But at the same time you can't show favouritism. Tough spot for all. He does pose the idea that google somehow find a way to create a way they can both benefit but it will be a tight rope walk to not piss over other OEMs. At the same time though fuck other OEMs, their marketshare is chump change compared to samsung.

It "feels" premium.
But I would wager that the 5X is more durable even though it "feels" cheaper.

that's the point though. the materials cost more. doesn't matter if cheaper materials are more durable and just plain better from a device standpoint. people want trophies entombed in otterbox defenders.

Team naked phone yo. And if I ever do rock a case it's the thinnest imaginable....can't stand 90% of the cases I see people slapping on phones as if they are construction workers.

we posting fanfic now?

we posting Tizen Truther Theory now?

we posting unmarked The Onion articles now?
There is nothing wrong in that article though. It's literally all facts other than the 3-5 year prediction. Google is benifitting the most in the long term from samsung's dominance in the android space. That wouldn't sit well with any company. Tizen is happening bros. Time to embrace it. They just need to buy a map company, pay a shitton to developers for apps, somehow make tizen less shitty, then slowly transition it. The casuals won't even notice.

Looking at battery and saw this

PKcZ0hSh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom