• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vooduu

First Google experience, and I'm a month in with no phone to show for it.

8THSx2S.jpg

Saiyan-Rox

One of my favorite things about the Nexus 6 is the sim tray. It is excellent. How's the N6P's tray feel?

Potential 6P issues:

* [Back panel uneven or raised.](http://imgur.com/8b98DJd)
* [Scuffs or scratches on the back](http://i.imgur.com/365pnIw.jpg)
* [LTE antennae clearly visible, the front (and possibly rear) camera could be scratched too.](http://imgur.com/a/Xftkg)
* Internal noises (clickity and rattling noises)
* Speaker quality unevenness / other problems
* Screen coloring issues

Thats all i got so far.

Mine has the slightly raised back panel but its not much and the case hides it. Apart from that I don't have the other issues.

Saiyan-Rox

The screen tint on the OPX :/
Aseiy7r.gif

Does Samsung have a stockpile of cheap 5" 1080p AMOLEDs that HTC and OP took advantage of?

The OPX uses OLED not AMOLED so no.

Cheap phone gonna be cheap. It is a blataint iPhone rip off no matter what they say though but again I guess most things are. Still not gonna buy one but its decent enough.

Saiyan-Rox

Wow at that bending... So does the 6p feels really cheap in hand?

Ugh bendgate again? The whole iPhone thing was a weakness in between the volume buttons wasnt it? No one will have it happen to them anyway. Since the iPhone people like go bend shit.

Oh and no it doesn't.

I don't think that's the problem. The GS3 also used an AMOLED display (technically SAMOLED).
the problem isn't the panel, the panel isn't what has those reflective properties, the problem is what's above the panel. the glass or plastic or whatever layer. i mean, in that GS3 shot you show, the screen isn't even on.

This whole bending thing will blow over just like it did for the iPhone.

Part of the reason it blew over with Apple (beside it just being Apple and nothing sticks to them for too long) was that they were replacing phones that were bending even without AppleCare on them. If Google and Huawai do the same type of thing if bending is an actual issue customers are seeing then it will likely be a non-story. If they give people the run around or make them purchase coverage to get a replacement of bent phones then it may become more of a story.

SimleuqiR

That video was debunked. The screen was already broken when he tried to bend it -- hence why it bent so easily.

Wait, why would he make it look like it is easily bendable. WTF is wrong with this guy? I saw the video without sound (I'm at work) did he even mention the screen was cracked before he bent the phone?

Then there is this video of a guy trying to bend it with his two hands too:

https://youtu.be/jlG2qlqadRI

Not much budging.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm so used to being able to swipe down from the right to pull the notification shade straight down that it's annoying me I cant on stock lol

Laekon

Ah, Nexus 5 for $175 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Nexus-5-...E-Smartphone/221925714382?hash=item33abcda9ce - Do I jump on this or wait for the One Plus X..ahhh decisions. How's the Nexus 5 on Marshmallow?

My Nexus 5 works great and non active battery life has really improved. I'm not a heavy user though, just randomly check crap at odd times for a few minutes.

It "feels" premium.
But I would wager that the 5X is more durable even though it "feels" cheaper.
One of the silliest things to me is people buying "premium" phones for their materials and design and then sticking them in a case. I liked the plastic Nexus 5 cause it feels comfortable in your hand and isn't slippery. The glass is starting to show wear but it's been used every day with no case or screen cover for 2 years.

SimleuqiR

I actually forgot it had the ability to do that :eek:o haven't used a third party launcher in ages.

Yup.
Swipe down is for the notification shade.
Swipe up is for Google Now (since Nova does not have the ability to have the Google Now swipe to left screen).
Double tap on the screen to bring up recent apps.

Ty4on

the problem isn't the panel, the panel isn't what has those reflective properties, the problem is what's above the panel. the glass or plastic or whatever layer. i mean, in that GS3 shot you show, the screen isn't even on.
No, it's the panel. You see it perfectly well in the OPX shot.

It not being on is precisely the issue. It makes blacks look very blue in a well lit environment. I have the same issue on the Vita 1000, but I think it's worse on the GS3.

Edit: We need to make 6P bendgate a big enough thing that Consumer Reports will do a proper test of it. Some are rock hard while others crumble like a cookie.

Ah, Nexus 5 for $175 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Nexus-5-...E-Smartphone/221925714382?hash=item33abcda9ce - Do I jump on this or wait for the One Plus X..ahhh decisions. How's the Nexus 5 on Marshmallow?
The only downside I see is google possibly not updating it with the latest android in 2016. The Snapdragon 800 and 801 are very similar in performance (the latter is just slightly higher overclocked IIRC) and the camera while 8MP used a sensor roughly the same size as most 13MP phones.

One of the silliest things to me is people buying "premium" phones for their materials and design and then sticking them in a case. I liked the plastic Nexus 5 cause it feels comfortable in your hand and isn't slippery. The glass is starting to show wear but it's been used every day with no case or screen cover for 2 years.

Yup. I put a super thin case on when I'm doing something active, but other then that just tempered glass for me.

bulky case owners are terrible people

Saiyan-Rox

Yup.
Swipe up is for Google Now (since Nova does not have the ability to have the Google Now swipe to left screen).

Nice I think I'll redownload it now. Last time I used it I remember it had icons really small and I cba trying to fix it.

Speaking of forgetting about things I totally forgot about Now on Tap.

EDIT: The animation for the swipe down is soooo slow :O

SimleuqiR

Nice I think I'll redownload it now. Last time I used it I remember it had icons really small and I cba trying to fix it.

Speaking of forgetting about things I totally forgot about Now on Tap.

EDIT: The animation for the swipe down is soooo slow :O

You can increase the icons size.
Nova also has a "normalize" option that makes all icons the same size, which makes things even more uniformed.
The notification animation is slower. I have not look into seeing if there is an option to speed them up.

Yup.

Swipe down – notification
Swipe down 2 fingers – quick settings
Swipe up – recents
Double tap - Screen off

Saiyan-Rox

You can increase the icons size.
Nova also has a "normalize" option that makes all icons the same size, which makes things even more uniformed.
The notification animation is slower. I have not look into seeing if there is an option to speed them up.

Yep did that. I tbink I got the default size okay. Doesn't look like you can speed the notification animation unfortunately but it'll do until cyanogen gets up and running I guess.

I do like the app drawer transition animations especially the circle wipe one.

Saiyan-Rox

Actually moved to action launcher 3. Forgot I had it too lol

Although using double Tap to sleep on it disables the fingerprint unlock :S

Nikodemos

Y'know, for all the horror stories about 5.1.1, I'm quite satisfied with it. The battery drain seems to have slowed down quite a bit, and the missing app icons I've mentioned previously came back on their own. And it feels... slicker, somehow, compared to 4.4.4. It might be Sony putting some tweaks of their own in it, or maybe not, but I definitely like it more.

this_guy

Y'know, for all the horror stories about 5.1.1, I'm quite satisfied with it. The battery drain seems to have slowed down quite a bit, and the missing app icons I've entioned previously came back on their own. And it feels... slicker, somehow, compared to 4.4.4. It might be Sony putting some tweaks of their own in it, or maybe not, but I definitely like it more.

I thought 5.1 was fine. It was 5.0 that ruined everything.

Y'know, for all the horror stories about 5.1.1, I'm quite satisfied with it. The battery drain seems to have slowed down quite a bit, and the missing app icons I've mentioned previously came back on their own. And it feels... slicker, somehow, compared to 4.4.4. It might be Sony putting some tweaks of their own in it, or maybe not, but I definitely like it more.

5.1 is great. If you're on that, you're set. There's no need to be upset over slow updates anymore.

That makes it sound like the screen is the only thing holding it together...

Huh? That's just basic physics. You compromise the structural integrity of a box, hell anything, and it becomes much easier to manipulate. The glass covers the entire front of the device. Break that and the aluminum becomes much easier to bend by hand. We're talking about a thin device. I doubt the layer of aluminum is very thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom