• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

An android device finally received the coveted perfect 10 score.

The OPX would be somewhat justifiable if it included NFC and at a 32 GB option. It's hard to justify buying a device with 16 GB of storage and a 2014 SOC in 2015. Charge $10 more and give me NFC. One Plus stays fucking up. Sell the current version in the markets where NFC penetration isn't huge yet and give 'Merica NFC.

Doesn't it have a micro SD card slot? kinda solves that issue.

EmiPrime

The three main things the Zenfone 3 needs are

Fingerprint Scanner
Better Camera
Improved body style

The current body style is really a big brick slab, and the camera is just OK.

That and a skin that doesn't pack 20 ASUS apps that nobody wants. Also bothering to release it in the UK would be nice.

Yep, the nexus phones are almost doa in Europe.

Seems like Google are pushing the 5X harder here. Shame they forgot to price it competitively.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That and a skin that doesn't pack 20 ASUS apps that nobody wants. Also bothering to release it in the UK would be nice.

Seems like Google are pushing the 5X harder here. Shame they forgot to price it competitively.

They already fixed that. You can get rid of all the bloatware. They pushed an update to address this for the current device already.

Nobody reads though so people have missed this. :p

EmiPrime

They already fixed that. You can get rid of all the bloatware. They pushed an update to address this for the current device already.

Nobody reads though so people have missed this. :p

Cool but you'll have to forgive me for not keeping up to date on a device I can't even buy.

strategy.jpg

counterpoint.jpg

two different sources showing not so different news overall

Groof

if you're linking the verge please state so. i don't want to give them clicks and you can't see what the URL is on mobile very easily

and less importantly, Samsung Mobile profits up 37% YoY this Q
they attributed most of it to the conversion rate of the currency though and projected a decline next quarter lol

Overall though the numbers aren't bad. They're still easily the most relevant player in the game that isn't named Apple. Samsung, Huawei, and Apple are now the 3 kings. Everyone else lookin like chumps.

they attributed most of it to the conversion rate of the currency though and projected a decline next quarter lol

Overall though the numbers aren't bad. They're still easily the most relevant player in the game that isn't named Apple. Samsung, Huawei, and Apple are now the 3 kings. Everyone else lookin like chumps.

that's why i said less not more ;)

zewone

Verus case makes the 6p much wider, almost N6 wide; you also cannot charge the phone with the stock charged because the opening isn'g wide enough. The backup charger I got from the Google Store fits, though.

Diztronic needs to hurry up with their solution.

EmiPrime

I think I prefer Apple's approach.

Android apps on Chrome OS typically aren't very good and I don't know how enthusiastic Android developers will be about ensuring their apps are optimised for a desktop/laptop OS too.

As long as my Chromebook works just as well with Android, I'm fine with that.

EDIT: Which actually reminds me that I want to buy a Pixel C. Also, lol @ the verge "the Pixel C is a great Android tablet that costs a great deal of money" (same price as the entry level iPad.

No surprise from them. But honestly, I think the full integration of Android instead of having that and ChromeOS separate is good for Google and consumers as a whole.

Google just thought cloud would be the future of everything but surprise surprise some things are just better as apps. They were wrong. This has been a long time coming (seems a long ways off too lol).

co1onel

Still rolling with a 16gb nexus 5, and I'm sick and tired of not having enough storage, along with the disappointing battery life. I've been looking for a cheapish alternative with an sd card slot, but everything seems to have 5.5inch screens or bigger. The oneplus x seems like a good choice, especially with the nice build quality and oled screen, but I'm not sure about the battery life. Maybe I should just tough it out till next year when I can get something with a fingerprint scanner and USB C port? I can't really afford anything expensive atm.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google just thought cloud would be the future of everything but surprise surprise some things are just better as apps. They were wrong. This has been a long time coming (seems a long ways off too lol).
Apple was right? Oh man, what a surprise. Next thing you know, tablets will be 4:3, too.

Verus case makes the 6p much wider, almost N6 wide; you also cannot charge the phone with the stock charged because the opening isn'g wide enough.

You can email Verus to request a free replacement bumper. I reached out and they said I could get a refund or wait for a new bumper with a revised port, and I said I would wait.

ALSO MAD JELLY SINCE MY 128GB GRAPHITE I ORDERED AT 10:26 AM PACIFIC ON 9/29 IS STILL PENDING

You can email Verus to request a free replacement bumper. I reached out and they said I could get a refund or wait for a new bumper with a revised port, and I said I would wait.

ALSO MAD JELLY SINCE MY 128GB GRAPHITE I ORDERED AT 10:26 AM PACIFIC ON 9/29 IS STILL PENDING

I'll still probably switch to a lighter case, but thanks for the tip. I just emailed them.

Also, this thing makes me hate my Nexus 6 even more. I didn't know that was possible, so the 6P truly is magical!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wonder what this will mean for Chromebooks. They make for pretty affordable Linux laptops, I've been looking into getting one for a while.

Price won't be a factor. I mean the price for Linux is gonna be free either way. The only difference here is if they pay for the play store. It also in theory shouldn't cause any issues for those that like to flash say Ubuntu.

The bigger thing is will Google finally abandoned the shitty ass Java. Is this their out to be like "Yolo we had to switch cause we on desktops and laptops now"

Unraveling Java from Android especially for compatibility is gonna be a bitch and a half though.

Noema

I have no idea what to do with this $50 in my play store account lol...Suggestions?

Nova Launcher Prime
Pocket Casts
The Kingdom Rush games
The Room 1 and 2

Edit:

Monument Valley
Mahtlab Graphing Calculator Pro
HitMan Go and the new Tomb Raider Game
Titanium Backup or Helium Paid versions

Jzero

I have no idea what to do with this $50 in my play store account lol...Suggestions?

Movies movies and movies. I just watched Her. Siri plz.

I'm seriously loving my 6P though. This thing has the perfect size and feel and I've never said that about any of my past phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom