• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Looking at battery and saw this

PKcZ0hSh.jpg

I have the same thing. Looks like Huawei is spying on us.

Jacir

And it ain't wrong

In fact releasing a tizen watch instead of android wear makes it seem more right add time goes on. It begins.

Don't know too much about Tizen but I can agree with the notion that some OEMs will need to let go at a certain point. Though, differentiation for differentiation sake is useless if that doesn't bring any value to the consumer.

RIP for webOS.
Only used it for a short period of time at retail.

If HTC lets me create their next flagship with their expertise and I get to price it (reasonably) I will put them back in business next year.

Well let's hear it.

Specs? Type of design and approximate price point?

Price - $499 32gb, 599 64gb, 699 128gb

- Classic HTC build (evleaks photo esque)

- Snapdragon 820, 3gbs LPDDR4, UFS 2.0

- 137 x 70 x 7.5 mm

- 5.2" 1080p OLED display

- Camera at G4 tier or better (OIS)

- Fingerprint sensor like Nexus devices

- No SD card slot, 2700 mAH, USB-C

Am I missing anything specific?

Ahh, but what is a mid-tier phone and a flagship nowadays? The lines have been extremely blurred and I'm super grateful for it.

Didn't mean to interject, sup guys lol.

I have an Alcatel Idol 3, and the experience has been super smooth. 5.5 screen 1080p, Micro SD/Dual Sim, Latest Lollipop, Snapdragon 615 w Mali 400. This phone retails 250 and I got it for less online. I promise I will take pictures, its a lovely phone. The camera sucks ass though, only downside. If you really task it, the processor starts to show but I didn't even realize this thing is an octacore. It makes sense as daily use and tasks are incredibly responsive.

Yes, all the newer phones and higher spec phones are ways faster than the Idol 3, but when people see the phone and hear the price, they tend to be astounded. We are hitting redundancy where it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is because a majority of people are only doing the same tasks irregardless (i.e. Instagram, Youtube etc)

I appreciate powerful phones, it only pushes the medium forward, but we are definitely in a time where just about any decent spec phone is capable for extensive use. You can safely sit back 2 generations and not feel pressured.

NotBacon

I'm getting absolute trash battery on my 6P :(

Screen is at the top which is good, but Facebook and Instagram are two red flags. Remove FB and just use the mobile site instead for a while to see if that makes a difference. Chrome can even send you FB notifications if you're desperate for them (it'll prompt you).

Also, give us a screenshot of your reception timeline.

Ahh, but what is a mid-tier phone and a flagship nowadays? The lines have been extremely blurred and I'm super grateful for it.

Didn't mean to interject, sup guys lol.

I have an Alcatel Idol 3, and the experience has been super smooth. 5.5 screen 1080p, Micro SD/Dual Sim, Latest Lollipop, Snapdragon 615 w Mali 400. This phone retails 250 and I got it for less online. I promise I will take pictures, its a lovely phone. The camera sucks ass though, only downside. If you really task it, the processor starts to show but I didn't even realize this thing is an octacore. It makes sense as daily use and tasks are incredibly responsive.

Yes, all the newer phones and higher spec phones are ways faster than the Idol 3, but when people see the phone and hear the price, they tend to be astounded. We are hitting redundancy where it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is because a majority of people are only doing the same tasks irregardless (i.e. Instagram, Youtube etc)

I appreciate powerful phones, it only pushes the medium forward, but we are definitely in a time where just about any decent spec phone is capable for extensive use. You can safely sit back 2 generations and not feel pressured.
Definitely true. I feel like midrange devices are perfectly capable but it doesn't stop my list for the premium. Say what you will but there's a difference between the idol 3 and an iPhone 6/s6 and its noticeable.

But yeah you can easily get away with using a device like that and be perfectly happy and save money.

I'm getting absolute trash battery on my 6P :(

How you managed that I've had 2 hours sot do 6%

Screen is at the top which is good, but Facebook and Instagram are two red flags. Remove FB and just use the mobile site instead for a while to see if that makes a difference. Chrome can even send you FB notifications if you're desperate for them (it'll prompt you).

Second day of use. I highly recommend uninstalling that trashy Facebook app. No reason it should be that high on the list.

Husker86

Anyone else think the reception is really good on the 6P? They might have messed with the visual indicator, but I even checked the dbm in Settings and I'm getting much better signal in my house than with previous phones. Especially my basement where I'd have either no signal, or very weak--I'm getting decent signal down there with the 6P.

Uninstall WhatsApp

I wish, I use it for business almost exclusively. Have groups setup for both my businesses. In India, WhatsApp is just too popular.

Did you install a backup or something from previous whatsapp? Try installing it 'clean'.

Nope, it was a clean install.

How can you tell?

What % is what's app eating ur battery?

Yesterday, it took up 16% of battery, more than Screen.

Hasney

I wish, I use it for business almost exclusively. Have groups setup for both my businesses. In India, WhatsApp is just too popular.

Ah bugger, it's why I've never got into any messaging app since one bad update or if it doesn't like your device/os combo it can just annoy you. Only thing I can think of is to go into permissions and get rid of anything you don't require, especially location if it uses it. When Chrome went rogue, it was the location permission doing it.

Ah bugger, it's why I've never got into any messaging app since one bad update or if it doesn't like your device/os combo it can just annoy you. Only thing I can think of is to go into permissions and get rid of anything you don't require, especially location if it uses it. When Chrome went rogue, it was the location permission doing it.

Granular permissions is really the only valuable addition Google has made in Marshmallow. It really should've been Android 5.2.

Hasney

Granular permissions is really the only valuable addition Google has made in Marshmallow. It really should've been Android 5.2.

Well, other than doze giving my Nexus 6 two day battery life on work days.

There's likely to be a full version number every year now like iOS regardless of what's added.

Orbis

Team naked phone yo. And if I ever do rock a case it's the thinnest imaginable....can't stand 90% of the cases I see people slapping on phones as if they are construction workers.
I opted for a simple wrist strap for my phone, it makes dropping it impossible. On the other hand it's still vulnerable to falling from a table etc. but I reckon most phone breakages are people dropping from their hands.

Hasney

10 months in and still not dropped my Nexus 6. Only reason it's got a case is the stand on it is awesome for work video watching.

Bloodember

Only reason I use cases is because I work in a machine shop. I do get thin cases though. For my Note 5 I use the Verus Crystal Bumper.

co1onel

I can't believe the 5x is almost as big as the note 5. Definitely too big for my preferences, especially with only a 5.2 in screen.

Team naked phone yo. And if I ever do rock a case it's the thinnest imaginable....can't stand 90% of the cases I see people slapping on phones as if they are construction workers.

I just don't understand the people that brag about having an all metal phone, only to put a plastic or rubber case on it. Isn't that defeating the purpose? I guess the metal was only a status symbol to them?

WhatsApp is killing my 5x battery

No idea what to do

Uninstall WhatsApp

#android

Anyone else think the reception is really good on the 6P? They might have messed with the visual indicator, but I even checked the dbm in Settings and I'm getting much better signal in my house than with previous phones. Especially my basement where I'd have either no signal, or very weak--I'm getting decent signal down there with the 6P.
I think so. I used to get terrible reception at one building in school but the 6P gives me a great signal.

DagsJT

My Adopted case arrived today for my 5X. Seems to fit well and the buttons are easy to press. I feel it adds a bit of bulk to the phone and it feels heavier than I expected. But I mainly bought it so I could hold the phone without it slipping out of my hand and it's grippy enough that I feel comfortable holding the phone.

Hmm, I think I'll jump in on the Frost 64GB 6P when it comes in stock. Still loving my Nexus 6 and it will easily last me the second year (and possibly more) but my dad needs a phone. Will use the 6P for a few days and see if the fingerprint reader is worth the downgrade to a 5.7" screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom