• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I think I'll jump in on the Frost 64GB 6P when it comes in stock. Still loving my Nexus 6 and it will easily last me the second year (and possibly more) but my dad needs a phone. Will use the 6P for a few days and see if the fingerprint reader is worth the downgrade to a 5.7" screen.
it has a fingerprint scanner, better battery life, better speakers, better camera. Probably something else I'm forgetting. Easily worth an ever so slight reduction in screen.

It really isn't the same. Anyone who has used an iphone knows it rarely ever happens on iOS and that one is a known issue as well that facebook has copped to. On android rogue apps or wakelocks or whatever else is going wrong are a frequent occurance.

But yeah I find all the social media apps whether it's facebook or instagram or whatever to be terrible for battery on android. I just don't bother installing them.

It really isn't the same. Anyone who has used an iphone knows it rarely ever happens on iOS and that one is a known issue as well that facebook has copped to. On android rogue apps or wakelocks or whatever else is going wrong are a frequent occurance.

But yeah I find all the social media apps whether it's facebook or instagram or whatever to be terrible for battery on android. I just don't bother installing them.

I just turned privacy guard on in Cyanogen, which is app permissions from 6.0 basically. Make it ask me any time an app needs aanything.

clav

Uh what? Definitely is the same to the point that the Facebook app on ios interferes with listening to music.

Hasney

Bollocks to that. It was happening all the time on my 4S and was driving me nuts. I wouldn't have minded if I had that battery graph to see what was doing it.

Bollocks to that. It was happening all the time on my 4S and was driving me nuts. I wouldn't have minded if I had that battery graph to see what was doing it.
Sorry but they aren't remotely the same. Just a fact of life.

Also how the hell do you see what an app update on Android is for. On ios it just tells you the change log right there. Is it up to the developer on Android? The what's new section says the same shit for months.

gcubed

There is nothing wrong in that article though. It's literally all facts other than the 3-5 year prediction. Google is benifitting the most in the long term from samsung's dominance in the android space. That wouldn't sit well with any company. Tizen is happening bros. Time to embrace it. They just need to buy a map company, pay a shitton to developers for apps, somehow make tizen less shitty, then slowly transition it. The casuals won't even notice.

Yea, you are certifiably insane

Yea, you are certifiably insane
that post was mostly a joke...I was purposely understating how easy it would be to take control for comedic effect. Other than the obvious fact that google is benefitting most from Samsung's android sales. Especially considering their flagships are bombing and the phones they're selling the most are the ones with tiny margins.

HawkeyeIC

you can't just take samsungs spot, samsung is a brand. If they stopped making android phones it doesn't mean all of a sudden LG will have their marketshare spike to samsung levels lol.

There's genuine danger both ways. For samsung it's a hard road ahead. They'll have to spend TONS to get full control like apple. And for google you gotta protect samsung to an extent because they are the face of android. But at the same time you can't show favouritism. Tough spot for all. He does pose the idea that google somehow find a way to create a way they can both benefit but it will be a tight rope walk to not piss over other OEMs. At the same time though fuck other OEMs, their marketshare is chump change compared to samsung.

If Samsung stepped out, Google would step in. They are making Pixel hardware for a reason.

gcubed

that post was mostly a joke...I was purposely understating how easy it would be to take control for comedic effect. Other than the obvious fact that google is benefitting most from Samsung's android sales. Especially considering their flagships are bombing and the phones they're selling the most are the ones with tiny margins.

OK, no longer certifiably then.

Samsung's share would be split among the remaining players, especially the ones that are pushing affordable premium phones. They would not be able to reach half of what wp had pulled in, and would slowly fade into obscurity.

If Samsung stepped out, Google would step in. They are making Pixel hardware for a reason.
pixel hardware is a big fucking bomb lol

literally all flagship android hardware is bombing today compared to a couple years ago. The only ones doing well are the mid-end and cheap ones with razor thin margins. That's just not sustainable for big businesses with a lot of overhead. Eventually they might have to step away. See HTC. Sony, etc...soon to be LG and Motorola. Samsung is just further from it but they aren't immune.

HawkeyeIC

pixel hardware is a big fucking bomb lol

literally all flagship android hardware is bombing today compared to a couple years ago. The only ones doing well are the mid-end and cheap ones with razor thin margins. That's just not sustainable for big businesses with a lot of overhead. Eventually they might have to step away. See HTC. Sony, etc...soon to be LG and Motorola. Samsung is just further from it but they aren't immune.

Of course it's a bomb. They made a $1000 chromebook. I just think Google is learning to make hardware as their contingency plan.

EmiPrime

I wish I had £800 to spend on a Pixel. :(

I love Chrome OS, second only to OS X, but I have only ever used it on compromised hardware.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's not easy but it's something in the works. Google fucked Samsung pretty hard. Only Apple gets it.

It's not easy but it's something in the works. Google fucked Samsung pretty hard. Only Apple gets it.
but it's such a dilemma because google can't let it happen, they can't let samsung walk away. What can do they do though without shitting on other OEMs lol.

Something's got to give. That's why it's so interesting! I say google figure out some sort of profit sharing model where they give back to OEMs based on market share. Obviously samsung would win most but samsung is the one doing the vast majority of the leg work. But yeah OEMs would still be pissed at that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
but it's such a dilemma because google can't let it happen, they can't let samsung walk away. What can do they do though without shitting on other OEMs lol.

Something's got to give. That's why it's so interesting! I say google figure out some sort of profit sharing model where they give back to OEMs based on market share. Obviously samsung would win most but samsung is the one doing the vast majority of the leg work. But yeah OEMs would still be pissed at that.
The cost of walking away from Android is too high for any of these OEMs to do anything. Google doesn't need to profit share anything. Basic bitch OEMs.

How did Google fuck Samsung? They knew the deal when they signed up and it's not like they'd have even this good of a smartphone business without Android.
"How did this pay day loan company fuck these people? They knew the predatory loan rate when they signed up and it's not like they'd have even paid their bills without the initial loan."

SimleuqiR

SURE you could state that Google "fucked" Samsung, but the alternative was going up against Apple on their own. And that would have been worst.

cube444

Just bought the 6P aluminum 64gb version. I'm looking to unload my Nexus 5 when the 6P arrives.

I'll see if any local Toronto GAF members are interested.

Eusis

Get used to just running Samsung copies of Google services....because we all know that they became so popular with their Android phones.

Samsung is and will always be an OEM. If they decide to go their own way, there are so many other OEMs looking to take their spot.

If anyone will be a "Like Apple" company that might be Microsoft. I just doubt seeing Samsung going on their own and having any traction.
I get the impression Samsung doesn't really have that kind of spark to set things on fire on their own anyway. Microsoft does (they failed mainly by being slow to the market and responding to it it seems moreso than failing to deliver a worthwhile, distinctive product) and maybe even Sony (though that'll likely be more along the lines of spectacular failure than JUST "you really thought that'd work out for you?")

Not that will necessarily stop them from TRYING anyway though, wanting a slice of what the likes of Apple have and given they're THE Android phone in the eyes of most. And they've shown they're more than willing to disregard a solid industry standard to make up their own, usually subpar crap anyway, I believe they're still obstinately avoiding Google TV in favor of their own thing? I guess it's gotten some good results in the past though, Samsung Pay certainly seems like a pretty good variant in that it's hard to outright deny like the others (though with magnetic strips seemingly ont heir way out it may be in vain anyway.)

What? No. Yeah.............. no.
I'm sorry but it just is. To say that it's anywhere near android is like telling me the sky is red. I don't know what to tell ya if you believe that. iOS simply doesn't suffer a rogue app/rogue anything problem anywhere near the level android does. And its by design, for better or worse.

The cost of walking away from Android is too high for any of these OEMs to do anything. Google doesn't need to profit share anything. Basic bitch OEMs.

"How did this pay day loan company fuck these people? They knew the predatory loan rate when they signed up and it's not like they'd have even paid their bills without the initial loan."
that's not true at all. Look at HTC and LG and Motorola and Sony. Why the fuck would they keep doing this? They're barely making money from it or straight up losing from it. Literally google is benefitting the most from any sales they do manage.

Samsung was ok with it because their flagships were selling well and those are high margin devices. So they made enough profit from hardware. But that has been going down for years. If samsung reaches the point where they're barely making money (or losing money), why would they continue? Google will be begging them to continue but I don't see why they would. Samsung is lucky they sell components, specifically to apple. That's where their big money is.

The race to the bottom is never a sustainable one and unfortunately that's where OEMs are at right now. No one is saying google screwed samsung. That's moving the goalposts. No one is arguing that. The argument is that the market isn't sustainable for samsung and they WILL try to pivot if their flagships continue to flop. Google can't afford to let that happen. And no another OEM will not simply take their place because it doesn't solve the problem.

Kevyt

Hey all noob question:

can you install Moto Display in non Motorola phones? I'm looking at the Moto active display store but I'm currently using a Motorola phone so maybe I'm able to see it as installed? Don't know if it can be installed/work in something like the Nexus 6p.

I love Moto Display better than Android's own ambient display.

gcubed

I'm sorry but it just is. To say that it's anywhere near android is like telling me the sky is red. I don't know what to tell ya if you believe that. iOS simply doesn't suffer a rogue app/rogue anything problem anywhere near the level android does. And its by design, for better or worse.

that's not true at all. Look at HTC and LG and Motorola and Sony. Why the fuck would they keep doing this? They're barely making money from it or straight up losing from it. Literally google is benefitting the most from any sales they do manage.

Samsung was ok with it because their flagships were selling well and those are high margin devices. So they made enough profit from hardware. But that has been going down for years. If samsung reaches the point where they're barely making money (or losing money), why would they continue? Google will be begging them to continue but I don't see why they would. Samsung is lucky they sell components, specifically to apple. That's where their big money is.

The race to the bottom is never a sustainable one and unfortunately that's where OEMs are at right now. No one is saying google screwed samsung. That's moving the goalposts. No one is arguing that. The argument is that the market isn't sustainable for samsung and they WILL try to pivot if their flagships continue to flop. Google can't afford to let that happen. And no another OEM will not simply take their place because it doesn't solve the problem.

The alternative is to stop making phones, not going their own way.

You're conflating success and exiting business. Samsung may as well just exit the business if they switched 100% to tizen because they couldn't afford to build the ecosystem, advertise and make new phones with a market share rivaling BlackBerry.

Samsung exiting the market has little impact on Google. When the next round of upgrades hits there are 30 choices waiting instead of 31

That's like saying Dell 100% abandoning windows and going Linux would have much impact on MS. Dells consumer unit would collapse

The alternative is to stop making phones, not going their own way.

You're conflating success and exiting business. Samsung may as well just exit the business if they switched 100% to tizen because they couldn't afford to build the ecosystem, advertise and make new phones with a market share rivaling BlackBerry.

Samsung exiting the market has little impact on Google. When the next round of upgrades hits there are 30 choices waiting instead of 31

That's like saying Dell 100% abandoning windows and going Linux would have much impact on MS. Dells consumer unit would collapse
Well yeah I agree that they may just exit the business entirely. But it's pretty hard to walk away from mobile because you're giving up a lot. But yeah walking away completely is definitely an option. And it's another google can't let happen.

Samsung has the vast majority of the marketshare for Android. They are the brand that is most associated with android for the general public. HTC/Motorola/LG/Sony are all in decline or complete shambles depending on which we're talking about. I posted the marketshare a couple pages back. That's what google loses. And if you think another company can swoop in and fill that marketshare percentage for percentage then you don't know bidness because it doesn't work like that. Especially when again...it doesn't matter if it's samsung or huawei or xiaomi or LG or HTC....whoever is in that spot, if big flagships aren't selling with high margins then there isn't enough money in it in the long run.

You're thinking too narrowly about it. It's not just a samsung problem, it's a problem literally all OEMs are facing, hence why all of them are in steep steep decline. But google isn't sweating yet because samsung has the vast vast majority of the marketshare and is still doing ok. But that won't last forever if people don't buy more S7s and Note 6s. It's also why google is trying to cozy up to a company like huawei who maybe can stick around a low margin business for a long time but huawei is a long ways away from being samsung in a lot of the world.

gcubed

I agree all oems are facing the problem. I disagree that there is meaningful attachment to manufacturers because it's never been born out before when they have come and gone, someone has always taken over that spot

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The key is you can't be this big monolith to try and sell Android phones with margins like this.

The people that are gonna be the money makers are the suppliers. The margins for devices is getting lower each year.

I agree all oems are facing the problem. I disagree that there is meaningful attachment to manufacturers because it's never been born out before when they have come and gone, someone has always taken over that spot
who will take it over though? Look at the PC industry, everything but macs are in decline. There isn't an OEM or OEMs that are swooping in and taking the spot. Hence why MS is trying to take it in their own hands.

Who will take samsungs spot? All the major brands are flopping terrible. Unless you think those doogie phones and elephones and whatever other random chinese crap will be the next samsung lol. Even Xiaomi has already peaked and is in decline. It's a concern for google. All these OEMs are the ones spreading their services and their ads and all their warez. They have time, it's not a sky is falling thing. And maybe samsung will blow the world away with the S7 and it'll do hotcakes....but it's something interesting to think about.

The key is you can't be this big monolith to try and sell Android phones with margins like this.

The people that are gonna be the money makers are the suppliers. The margins for devices is getting lower each year.
that's why samsung is lucky they make shit for apple. Though apple isn't afraid to shop around it seems (TSMC). The only companies that can afford to run on razor thin margins are the ones that won't have the scale to have a worldwide operation like samsung. And that hurts google in spreading their shit.

And guess what, that's more market for apple to sweep up. It's already happening. Check apple's quarterly report. The marketshare lost by the OEMs isn't being picked up by anyone other than apple for the most part.

gcubed

who will take it over though? Look at the PC industry, everything but macs are in decline. There isn't an OEM or OEMs that are swooping in and taking the spot. Hence why MS is trying to take it in their own hands.

Who will take samsungs spot? All the major brands are flopping terrible. Unless you think those doogie phones and elephones and whatever other random chinese crap will be the next samsung lol. Even Xiaomi has already peaked and is in decline. It's a concern for google. All these OEMs are the ones spreading their services and their ads and all their warez. They have time, it's not a sky is falling thing. And maybe samsung will blow the world away with the S7 and it'll do hotcakes....but it's something interesting to think about.

Your taking about an entire industry in decline vs an industry that is being flooded with low margin players.

The lower end of the market share is being spread around amongst more oems, they aren't significantly contracting.

It's interesting to watch to see if Samsung properly reacts to the market they created or if they refuse to adapt and end up like HTC

Anyone want a ringke slim case and a usb type c to a cable for the 5x??
I would if I had a 5X, had a ringke case on my nex 5 for a while and thought it was perfect and thin.

It's interesting to watch to see if Samsung properly reacts to the market they created or if they refuse to adapt and end up like HTC
they're talking the talk in their q3 report. I think they really are going to move the S7 launch up a bit. I hope they price it right off the bat. And add some differentiators. If it's an S6 with 3D touch...lord help them lol.

edit: well sort of talking the talk hah:

For 2016, Samsung said it expects its smartphone growth rate to slow compared to prior years. However, the company said it hopes to strengthen its high-end product line and expand Samsung Pay globally to boost its position competitively.

gcubed

And honestly, Android doesn't have the same consumer base as apple, they aren't going to upgrade every year and you basically saturated major markets.

Google is doing the right thing by focusing on emerging markets, where there is an untapped bas vs getting into a pissing match in areas where they already own 80% of the market.

And honestly, Android doesn't have the same consumer base as apple, they aren't going to upgrade every year and you basically saturated major markets.

Google is doing the right thing by focusing on emerging markets, where there is an untapped bas vs getting into a pissing match in areas where they already own 80% of the market.
apple cleaning up in china though and when they penetrate india it's the GG.

EmiPrime

A big problem with Android OEMs is that they do nothing to retain their customers, none of them engender any kind of brand loyalty.

After sales support is terrible as they don't want to invest any money into it, preferring instead to use third party repair centres for most countries.

The skins make their devices run like garbage and it takes forever to get updates.

With iPhone all devices get updates on day one and Apple stores are everywhere. If you have a problem Apple will look after you, with the Android OEMs I hope you have a backup phone or you'll be without one for 2 weeks. The difference is night and day.

LG built a pretty darn fine phone with the G4 and it didn't matter. That's gotta sting.

I'm really liking mine. I would have kept going Samsung but the no removable battery and no SD slot really annoyed me. I know most people don't care that much about removable battery (i use it sometimes but could probably live without), but I really absolutely hate the no SD card slot. G4 seemed like the best solution to go for me after reading some reviews, and overall I am very impressed.

A big problem with Android OEMs is that they do nothing to retain their customers, none of them engender any kind of brand loyalty.

After sales support is terrible as they don't want to invest any money into it, preferring instead to use third party repair centres for most countries.

The skins make their devices run like garbage and it takes forever to get updates.

With iPhone all devices get updates on day one and Apple stores are everywhere. If you have a problem Apple will look after you, with the Android OEMs I hope you have a backup phone or you'll be without one for 2 weeks. The difference is night and day.
That's a big problem too.

LG built a pretty darn fine phone with the G4 and it didn't matter. That's gotta sting.
Uninteresting (I'm not saying it's bad, just nothing crazy about it for mainstream consumers) phone with no marketing will do that. Also revealing a phone with no launch date is one way to launch in a sputter (or is it spatter).

Samsung should have just taken the hit and abandoned Android years ago and completely switched to Tizen when their brand was strongest. This slow bleed out they're currently going through isn't going to end well for their mobile business and given their dwindling fan base I doubt there will be much interest in products running a new OS.

I wasn't on GAF at the time, but I remember reading around the web when Amazon started their whole Fire OS platform and the general Android community thought it was a terrible idea because they got rid of all the Google stuff, new store/etc. However looking back at it makes me think Amazon was one of the smartest companies that utilized Android because now they have a pretty large business selling all of the digital content that pulls in the real money like apps/games, music, videos, books/comics, and they didn't pay an arm and a leg for R&D since they just branched it off of Android.

Hasney

I think only one of the tablets was a success for Amazon from what I read a while back. They basically had to keep doing ridiculous sales to get traction on it I can see why, the Amazon app store is pretty lacking and man, that experience was awful. Was so happy when someone finally managed to unlock the bootloader. I believe most of their digital revenue comes off their app store APK, which was a great idea. Woo people in with free app offers.

The $50 tablet will probably do alright in the US, we've had alright budget tablets for a while though. Then there's the Fire phone...

The problem with Tizen compared to the Amazon OS is that it isn't an Android fork, so Android developers can't just publish to their store. That's why they're having to pay to have apps developed and why they couldn't switch earlier. It'd probably have a limited amount of apps as developers got around to Tizen after iOS and Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom