• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Every time I think about upgrading my phone, I conclude I should get a iPhone 6S because of the 2GB upgrade and fixability, but when I read you can't replace Siri with Google Now default without rooting or Google Maps over Apple Maps without flipping to the Apps tab in Apple Maps, I look at Android phones again.

What a terrible year.

Whatever happened to replacing stuff yourself? From an product engineering standpoint, that's very hard to design, so I think it's lazy when servicing requires removing 20+ screws and using a heatgun to remove glue.

Really is a shame. Manufacturers did this to themselves for removing consumer friendly features.

All these flagship Android phones remind me repairing an iPhone 2G (first iPhone). That's horrible. The current iPhone is more user serviceable than Android.

HawkeyeIC

Samsung should have just taken the hit and abandoned Android years ago and completely switched to Tizen when their brand was strongest. This slow bleed out they're currently going through isn't going to end well for their mobile business and given their dwindling fan base I doubt there will be much interest in products running a new OS.

I wasn't on GAF at the time, but I remember reading around the web when Amazon started their whole Fire OS platform and the general Android community thought it was a terrible idea because they got rid of all the Google stuff, new store/etc. However looking back at it makes me think Amazon was one of the smartest companies that utilized Android because now they have a pretty large business selling all of the digital content that pulls in the real money like apps/games, music, videos, books/comics, and they didn't pay an arm and a leg for R&D since they just branched it off of Android.

Amazon had it easy. All they were (and now are again after their phone bombed) selling were tablets and TV devices. Their digital content was much stronger than Samsung's and they didn't have to worry about maps and other phone apps we take for granted.

Every time I think about upgrading my phone, I conclude I should get a iPhone 6S because of specs and fixability, but when I read you can't replace Siri with Google Now default without rooting or Google Maps over Apple Maps without flipping to the Apps tab in Apple Maps, I look at Android phones again.

What a terrible year.

Whatever happened to replacing stuff yourself? From an product engineering standpoint, that's very hard to design, so I think it's lazy when servicing requires removing 20+ screws and using a heatgun to remove glue.

Really is a shame. Manufacturers did this to themselves for removing consumer friendly features.

All these flagship Android phones remind me repairing an iPhone 2G (first iPhone). That's horrible. The current iPhone is more user serviceable than Android.
Android isn't a singular device, your comparison doesn't really makes sense. I plan on using a 5X which has the same ifixit score as a 6s.

clav

Android isn't a singular device, your comparison doesn't really makes sense. I plan on using a 5X which has the same ifixit score as a 6s.

Oh it makes sense when you spent a whole week looking at this.

5X has a battery cable hiding behind screws that require 2 plates to remove, and it's not a flagship.

Yes, it's visible, and perhaps the most user serviceable outside of LG's own G4, but you still need to remove some stuff after removing the casing.

gcubed

Apples doing well in China, but it's a misnomer that Android isn't still selling there. Plus when you are talking a billion people even a small portion of the pie is big fish.

Android is selling shitloads in China, but Google wasn't willing to do things in order to run Google services in China until last month.

Apple isn't cleaning up any more than they are in any other country, which is to say they aren't, they just aren't competing with Google right now

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It is ridiculous how Fallout 4 isn't on Android. Fucking Google, really?

Pyrokai

This whole Android/iOS debate is interesting to me. I didn't realize Android was in such terrible shape from a branding perspective. Google really should do something aggressive in order to stop people from just hating Android. Those comments from my coworkers ("I had to get an iPhone because I just hate 'Droids'" are starting to make sense (like it's an anecdote I didn't fully understand until now).

I still really like stock Android. I just hope OEMs don't continue to drag Android through the mud.

This whole Android/iOS debate is interesting to me. I didn't realize Android was in such terrible shape from a branding perspective. Google really should do something aggressive in order to stop people from just hating Android. Those comments from my coworkers ("I had to get an iPhone because I just hate 'Droids'" are starting to make sense (like it's an anecdote I didn't fully understand until now).

I still really like stock Android. I just hope OEMs don't continue to drag Android through the mud.
when I worked in the call centre I can't even describe how many android calls ended in "I should have gotten an iphone -_-". Or they get an android phone and they ask me how do I do the facetimes?!?!

jetsetrez

Coming back to Android after iPhone for 2 years, and really loving my Nexus 5X (aside from the speaker). But a few things.. how/why is this still a thing?

un3oxcJ.png

Also, why does the stock launcher not normalize app icons already? I know third party launchers do, it just seems weird to me that they allow such varying sizes for an OS that has improved and advanced so much in terms of design.

Mindwipe

Also, why does the stock launcher not normalize app icons already? I know third party launchers do, it just seems weird to me that they allow such varying sizes for an OS that has improved and advanced so much in terms of design.

Sad truth? The stock launcher, and the GNL, is a fucking mess and always has been.

Agree that Google should have tighter guidelines on icons submitted through Google Play. Just mandating a consistent fucking box size would really help.

jetsetrez

Another thing; why is artwork on Google play movies still so hit and miss? Every movie on the service should have crisp, clean, high res art with as few logos as possible. I find that a good portion of the movies I own on the service have ugly, cropped, low res art, often with promotional logos and what not. If even Vudu can get this right, I don't see how Google can't.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Another thing; why is artwork on Google play movies still so hit and miss? Every movie on the service should have crisp, clean, high res art with as few logos as possible. I find that a good portion of the movies I own on the service have ugly, cropped, low res art, often with promotional logos and what not. If even Vudu can get this right, I don't see how Google can't.
Are those the ones you uploaded? I have that issue but it's usually because I uploaded them.

Bboy AJ

Wait....what???

Uploaded? Come again??

Edit: You mean art I take it?
Oh crap I thought that said Music.

To be fair, I just bought new headphones. So that's a good excuse.

ThisOne

Any impressions on Google Fi? Is it worth it if I'm not a huge data hog and want to get on a no contract carrier? Looking to get the 5X soon...

Bboy AJ

Any impressions on Google Fi? Is it worth it if I'm not a huge data hog and want to get on a no contract carrier? Looking to get the 5X soon...
Just try it for a month. The cost of entry is low and there's no commitment.

Oh it makes sense when you spent a whole week looking at this.

5X has a battery cable hiding behind screws that require 2 plates to remove, and it's not a flagship.

Yes, it's visible, and perhaps the most user serviceable outside of LG's own G4, but you still need to remove some stuff after removing the casing.
wow a whole week?! sorry, I didn't know.

WiFi kept the phone awake and I don't know why.
#android that's why

Coming back to Android after iPhone for 2 years, and really loving my Nexus 5X (aside from the speaker). But a few things.. how/why is this still a thing?

#android bro live the life

I'm still torn about what to use my upgrade on in 2016. Well there's really only the S7/Nexus 2016/iPhone 7. Me demands leaks. Too bad we won't get any good ones for months.

Pyrokai

omg.....

I dropped my iPhone 5C yesterday and the screen shattered.

This is the first time I've EVER dropped a phone and of course it breaks. I still have 3-4 weeks until my 6P arrives.....

......any suggestions? Any good $10-20 phones I can use in the interim?

Unsure if this is the right OT to post this in but I just flashed my Nexus 7 to 6.0 after Franco kernel update broke my Wifi on 4.4.2. I'm curious if there's any big battery gains to using a different kernel other than stock on 6.0. I don't know what's all available for kernels for 6.0 right now. I don't do anything graphic intensive (just read comics & books) and run plex to my chromecast so anything that sacrifices performance probaby won't hurt that bad.

edit: Oh didn't realize 6.0 JUST came out, lmao. I've been running stock for like 2 years.

omg.....

This is the first time I've EVER dropped a phone and of course it breaks. I still have 3-4 weeks until my 6P arrives.....

just put some shipping tape over the screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's basically T-Mo cause ain't nobody got time for Sprint. There probably is some random square mile where Sprint is better or some shit though.

Mainly its the other features that you'd look into vs just going with T-Mo outright.

omg.....

What carrier are you on? Best Buy has the Moto E AT&T on sale for $43 today. Shouldn't be hard to get an unlock code off of AT&T's site if you are on T-Mobile.

EmiPrime

fingerprint sensor in 2015 will be the 3D touch of 2016. It'll be interesting to see who includes it and who skimps.

I think a few OEMs will attempt their own cobbled together bespoke solution for their devices that no third party apps will support before Android N comes out with it done right!

I think a few OEMs will attempt their own cobbled together bespoke solution for their devices that no third party apps will support before Android N comes out with it done right!
google will have to help with 3rd party support but OEMs can include some pretty useful optimizations baked into the OS. I hope samsung straight copies everything apple did with it. Some really useful stuff there.

krae_man

My Nexus 4 isn't cutting it anymore. I wish there were more options for a sub 5" phone.

I was waffling between the Moto X Play and Nexus 5x. I think I've decided on the X Play because although 5.5" is a bigger screen then I'd like, the dimensions are pretty much the same as the 5x minus the thickness which I'm not worried about since the Nexus 4 is already thick by todays standards and never bothered me.

I also like the Micro SD card slot since 16gb just isn't cutting it anymore. My carrier only has the 16gb versions of each and I don't want to buy externally since I can get a $300 phone subsidy for nothing. Plus the X play is probably going to be $100-$150 cheaper.

My Nexus 4 isn't cutting it anymore. I wish there were more options for a sub 5" phone.

I was waffling between the Moto X Play and Nexus 5x. I think I've decided on the X Play because although 5.5" is a bigger screen then I'd like, the dimensions are pretty much the same as the 5x minus the thickness which I'm not worried about since the Nexus 4 is already thick by todays standards and never bothered me.

I also like the Micro SD card slot since 16gb just isn't cutting it anymore. My carrier only has the 16gb versions of each and I don't want to buy externally since I can get a $300 phone subsidy for nothing. Plus the X play is probably going to be $100-$150 cheaper.

Moto X Play is available in your area?

The Oneplus X seems to be great if you can get an invite.

cube444

One more thing. Any of you guys buy a USB type C charger for your car? I'm assuming that obviously wouldn't come with the Nexus 6P.

EmiPrime

google will have to help with 3rd party support but OEMs can include some pretty useful optimizations baked into the OS. I hope samsung straight copies everything apple did with it. Some really useful stuff there.

tbh as much as I like 3D touch, I want live photos to come to Google Photos more. Anyone know if Apple have it patented?

SimleuqiR

So how has the battery life been so far for you Nexus 6P owners? Likes and dislikes overall for the phone in general?

My usage before going to bed last night:

With 20% left I could probably squeezed another hour or more out of the screen and usage. Some in the Reddit sub are getting 6 hours of SOT.

Took this image of a neat custom car parked outside a local pizza shop in Little Italy (The Bronx):

The camera manage to capture the scene how I saw it.

I think we need an Community OT for 5X and 6P

clav

omg.....

Buy another iPhone. You're not supposed to drop your phone.

I was in the same exact boat. I was looking forward to the 5X. Saw that canadian pricing which is INSANE for the 32gb version. Ended up getting the x play as my temp phone until I upgrade sometime in 2016. It's solid. Performs well enough, ridiculous battery life, solid camera, etc... Definitely a step up from the nex 4.

Size will be notably bigger but it's managable and I got smaller hands. I'd either get the X play or the one plus x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom