• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

I was in the same exact boat. I was looking forward to the 5X. Saw that canadian pricing which is INSANE for the 32gb version. Ended up getting the x play as my temp phone until I upgrade sometime in 2016. It's solid. Performs well enough, ridiculous battery life, solid camera, etc... Definitely a step up from the nex 4.

Size will be notably bigger but it's managable and I got smaller hands. I'd either get the X play or the one plus x.

Can you elaborate more on those two? I'm looking to upgrade from a Galaxy S3 that I can't custom ROM (lose LTE).

People have said the battery life is mediocre. The camera is better in terms of filming, but low light picture taking seems to be a miss.

Also which storage version did you buy? Did you buy a case?

Can you elaborate more on those two? I'm looking to upgrade from a Galaxy S3 that I can't custom ROM (lose LTE).

People have said the battery life is mediocre. The camera is better in terms of filming, but low light picture taking seems to be a miss.

Also which storage version did you buy? Did you buy a case?
Just to be clear...we are talking about the X Play right? The battery life is definitely crazy. I'd say 6 hours screen on time minimum. Unless you blast brightness then maybe 5 hours+.

Camera is definitely hit or miss in low light but any time else it's pretty good. Captures a lot of detail. Definitely the best camera moto has ever done. 16gb storage with 16gb sd card inside of it for my music. No case since the back is this ruubberized plastic. No need really.

clav

Just to be clear...we are talking about the X Play right? The battery life is definitely crazy. I'd say 6 hours screen on time minimum. Unless you blast brightness then maybe 5 hours+.

Camera is definitely hit or miss in low light but any time else it's pretty good. Captures a lot of detail. Definitely the best camera moto has ever done. 16gb storage with 16gb sd card inside of it for my music. No case since the back is this ruubberized plastic. No need really.

Ah I'm getting confused over the X Play and X Pure which is also called the X Style.

So you have the SD 615 and 1080p screen?

clav

yesssssir

performs pretty well. Only graphic intensive/poorly optimized apps/sites might causes some stutter here and there.

Ah ok.

Damn. No wonder the X Pure has mediocre battery life. Stupid useless 2K QHD screens.

5X seems to do OK.

Thanks for the feedback.

krae_man

I was in the same exact boat. I was looking forward to the 5X. Saw that canadian pricing which is INSANE for the 32gb version. Ended up getting the x play as my temp phone until I upgrade sometime in 2016. It's solid. Performs well enough, ridiculous battery life, solid camera, etc... Definitely a step up from the nex 4.

Size will be notably bigger but it's managable and I got smaller hands. I'd either get the X play or the one plus x.

And nowhere locally has stock(at least of the stores that will pick up their phone). Grrrr

Ty4on

yesssssir

performs pretty well. Only graphic intensive/poorly optimized apps/sites might causes some stutter here and there.

The Adreno 405 performs similar to the Adreno 320 graphics/games so late 2012 performance in those. Just enough for 1080p (One M7/GS4).

is there only one x play in canada? Or is the wind version different than lets say the telus one? Maybe you can get it from telus and just unlock it. Should come out to almost the same price since telus is 20-30 bucks cheaper I think and unlock code is 10-20 bucks.

rc213

None that I've had but I was sort of confused with the USB type C to regular USB cables in the box.

Only the Nexus 6P comes with a cable that could be used in a car charger but it's short as hell.

Got my Micro USB to USB Type C keychain adapter which is pretty sweet. And my Frost 64GB Nexus 6P shipped, Delivery for tomorrow. Nervous cause this is my first white phone, Not sure I'm going to go Naked. :x

krae_man

is there only one x play in canada? Or is the wind version different than lets say the telus one? Maybe you can get it from telus and just unlock it. Should come out to almost the same price since telus is 20-30 bucks cheaper I think and unlock code is 10-20 bucks.

I can get a $300 phone subsidy via Wind. $149 is better then whatever other companies are selling it for.

Noema

I was about to pull the trigger on the X Play because of that incredible battery mostly, but I'm dissapointed in the performance of the SD615. I'm sure it's serviceable, but when a Nexus 6 or a ZenFone 2 are available for about the same price or even less I'm less inclined to forgive its shortcomings. Even the 2 year old Nexus 5 outperforms it.

If only the 2014 Moto X didn't have such a shit camera and battery, it'd be a no-brainer. It's still silky smooth in performance, has a good 5.2" AMOLED display and it's easy to convert into the 2014 Pure edition which is first in line for updates. That'd be a great pick for a budget phone.

The X Play with a SD800 like the OPX would be nuts. The SD615 is what the Moto G should be running. It would fly if it only had to push 720p.

pestul

Anyone know of any good lollipop cleanup utilities (cache / temp files etc)? I tried the highly touted Cleanmaster, but it is just like everything else.. bloated as heck.

EDIT: This is on a 2013 Moto G that is feeling a little sluggish lately.

I was about to pull the trigger on the X Play because of that incredible battery mostly, but I'm dissapointed in the performance of the SD615. I'm sure it's serviceable, but when a Nexus 6 or a ZenFone 2 are available for about the same price or even less I'm less inclined to forgive its shortcomings. Even the 2 year old Nexus 5 outperforms it.

If only the 2014 Moto X didn't have such a shit camera and battery, it'd be a no-brainer. It's still silky smooth in performance, has a good 5.2" AMOLED display and it's easy to convert into the 2014 Pure edition which is first in line for updates. That'd be a great pick for a budget phone.

The X Play with a SD800 like the OPX would be nuts. The SD615 is what the Moto G should be running. It would fly if it only had to push 720p.
you really won't notice much of a difference performance wise in real world use with the x play and zenfone 2 and whatnot. Like I said the only times it becomes even somewhat noticable is if you're in a poorly optimized app/site that has TONS and tons of graphics of some kind.

But yeah it's all about how long you intend on keeping it. I only intend on keeping the x play for less than a year so for me it's an easy buy.

Noema

you really won't notice much of a difference performance wise in real world use with the x play and zenfone 2 and whatnot. Like I said the only times it becomes even somewhat noticable is if you're in a poorly optimized app/site that has TONS and tons of graphics of some kind.

But yeah it's all about how long you intend on keeping it. I only intend on keeping the x play for less than a year so for me it's an easy buy.

I think that's the crux of the issue. It's a great interim phone I think. The Moto X Play has its virtues, namely the battery which is nuts and the camera is also good, better than the devices I mentioned. I'm really neurotic and I need my phone to last me a good 18 months at least so I go OCD on benchmarks and performance per dollar lol.

Anybody planning on getting the Oneplus X?

I might depending on how easy it's to buy compared to other OP phones and how easy it's for me to have it shipped to my country. On paper it looks like my ideal phone: snappy, good camera, easy to flash CM for near-stock with enhancements, AMOLED and it also has more of a premium build compared to other phones in its price range. Only question is battery life and of course, we're talking about OP.

Draper

I love this phone (Nexus 6P), but at the same time, I miss my iPhone 6S. I'm holding onto both currently.

In defense of iPhone:

iMessage
More fluid experience
Color accuracy
Apps feel more polished
Handoff with my Macbook

in defense of Nexus 6P:

That fucking display is gorgeous (Black levels are amazing vs on the iPhone where they're absolutely horrendous)
Google integration in everything is amazing
Google Now
LED light is lovely
That battery life

Such a tough call.

Noema

I love this phone (Nexus 6P), but at the same time, I miss my iPhone 6S. I'm holding onto both currently.

In defense of iPhone:

iMessage
More fluid experience
Color accuracy
Apps feel more polished
Handoff with my Macbook

in defense of Nexus 6P:

That fucking display is gorgeous (Black levels are amazing vs on the iPhone where they're absolutely horrendous)
Google Now
LED light is lovely
That battery life

Such a tough call.

They are both the cream of the crop of their respective ecosystems. I don't think picking one over the other is easy; it boils down to which OS you like the most I think. The one category where I think the Nexus clearly trumps the iPhone is the display: QHD vs 1080p and also AMOLED vs IPS.

If I had to pick I'd go for the Nexus, simply because I prefer post-Lollipop Android to iOS. But that's just a matter of personal preference. De gustibus non est disputandum

clav

In defense of iPhone:

iMessage
More fluid experience
Color accuracy
Apps feel more polished
Handoff with my Macbook

in defense of Nexus 6P:

Google Now
LED light is lovely
That battery life

Such a tough call.
I won't be surprised next year if the iPhone 7 releases with "revolutionary" "picture perfect" AMOLED displays knowing that the Apple Watch already uses one.

Noema

I won't be surprised next year if the iPhone 7 releases with "revolutionary" "picture perfect" AMOLED displays knowing that the Apple Watch already uses one.

Not to mention revolutionary Ultra-Retina QHD displays.

0c1KUBh.gif

clav

Part of me wants to hold back because I think Apple will switch to USB Type C.

Lightning cable has been a disaster as it's one of the lowest reviewed products on Apple's own store.

This proprietary bullshit is only something Apple can pull off.

Apple using AMOLED is more a supply problem than anything. Samsung has never been able to produce them in the quanities that apple would require. I hope the 7 is the one that does it. I predict the 7 or 7s will move to amoled and feature new design somehow. Then iphone 8 in 2018 will be the one where they finally get rid of the home button and fingerprint goes beneath the screen and all that. Book that guys!

In defense of iPhone:

iMessage
More fluid experience
Color accuracy
Apps feel more polished
Handoff with my Macbook

in defense of Nexus 6P:

Google Now
LED light is lovely
That battery life

Such a tough call.
that's me through and through. Almost the same bullet points as well. When I use iOS I miss some stuff about Android a lot. Then when I switch to Android I realize how much I was taking stuff from the iphone for granted. From imessage to the higher quality apps to the overall user experience. Then I start missing that.

Eternally torn. Probably why I go back and forth so often. At present time I probably prefer the iphone a little more and am open to getting the 7, but all it would take is the perfect android phone to make me forget all about it. But we know that won't happen lol.

clav

that's me through and through. Almost the same bullet points as well. When I use iOS I miss some stuff about Android a lot. Then when I switch to Android I realize how much I was taking stuff from the iphone for granted. From imessage to the higher quality apps to the overall user experience. Then I start missing that.

Eternally torn. Probably why I go back and forth so often. At present time I probably prefer the iphone a little more and am open to getting the 7, but all it would take is the perfect android phone to make me forget all about it. But we know that won't happen lol.

That's Apple not porting to the cloud. iMessage should be everywhere. Some of us don't use iMessage at all, so we're not missing anything.

I would miss f.lux and Firefox on iOS. Firefox on iOS won't have extensions. Guess no one is concerned about eye strain for smartphone users.

Draper

That fucking google integration...

For example, I was texting back and forth to a realtor to schedule a time to check out a house. Once we agreed upon a time and place, I used Google Now on tap and it asked pretty much, 'hey, you wanna throw this in your calendar. Then the day of, it notifies me at the exact time I would want to leave from my current location in order to make it there on time. That's just brilliant.

But I love iMessage- I love the Apple integration throughout their ecosystem that comes with it. I'd heavily miss it. And the apps seem so much more refined and almost cohesive to some extent. Hell, several google apps feel more responsive than on the actual 6P.

But those black levels man...I've never seen anything like it before.

That fucking google integration...

For example, I was texting back and forth to a realtor to schedule a time to check out a house. Once we agreed upon a time and place, I used Google Now on tap and it asked pretty much, 'hey, you wanna throw this in your calendar. Then the day of, it notifies me at the exact time I would want to leave from my current location in order to make it there on time. That's just brilliant.

But I love iMessage- I love the Apple integration throughout their ecosystem that comes with it. I'd heavily miss it. And the apps seem so much more refined and almost cohesive to some extent. Hell, several google apps feel more responsive than on the actual 6P.

But those black levels man...I've never seen anything like it before.
just do what I do, stick with android for a little while then go back to iOS for your next big upgrade. Maybe they'll have switched to OLED by then. It'll be all the sweeter. Then use that for a while, then go back to android. Repeat.

Part of me wants to hold back because I think Apple will switch to USB Type C.

Lightning cable has been a disaster as it's one of the lowest reviewed products on Apple's own store.

This proprietary bullshit is only something Apple can pull off.

Apple using Type C for their phones would really push the industry forward. In ten years, practically all computerized electronics would use Type C (or its successor), and there would not be a need for converters.

But the fact that the new iPad Pro will use Lightning, along with the Apple Pencil, leads me to believe that they will be hanging on to their proprietary cable for the foreseeable future.

EmiPrime

Apple using Type C for their phones would really push the industry forward. In ten years, practically all computerized electronics would use Type C (or its successor), and there would not be a need for converters.

But the fact that the new iPad Pro will use Lightning, along with the Apple Pencil, leads me to believe that they will be hanging on to their proprietary cable for the foreseeable future.

Also the new Apple keyboard, mouse and trackpad, all things you'd think would be USB-C but are lightning.

Noema

Anyone know of any good lollipop cleanup utilities (cache / temp files etc)? I tried the highly touted Cleanmaster, but it is just like everything else.. bloated as heck.

EDIT: This is on a 2013 Moto G that is feeling a little sluggish lately.

I'm not a fan of cleanup utilities. Apps cache data for a reason; erasing the cache will only cause the apps to rebuild the cache and in two days they'll be back at where they were before the cleanup. If you absolutely must delete the cache, you can use the standard cache wipe option Android includes in Settings>Storage.

If your phone is feeling more sluggish than usual it's more likely to be caused by too many apps running in the background taking up memory and CPU time, or an app that you installed recently that might be too aggressive with resources. You could try to pinpoint which apps are the culprits and then uninstall them to see if that helps. Facebook and Facebook Messenger are the usual suspects. If your phone is rooted, Greenify those fuckers.

Also, are you running 5.0.2? That build leaks memory like crazy. Back when I was running stock (I also have a 2013 Moto G) I had to reboot the phone every 3rd day or so lest it run like absolute crap. 5.1 fixes most issues thankfully but Moto abandoned the phone and won't receive any more official updates.

Draper

just do what I do, stick with android for a little while then go back to iOS for your next big upgrade. Maybe they'll have switched to OLED by then. It'll be all the sweeter. Then use that for a while, then go back to android. Repeat.

I'm not opposed to that idea, but flopping back it forth just feels like a headache when you're investing in one ecosystem and then abandoning it for the other. I don't know. Why the hell does the iPhone's OS have to feel so disjointed from every one of its components, like a cork board with arbitrary things tacked on...why do the developers treat their Apps on Android like an afterthought...why is the iPhone so expensive while the screen feels second rate...why why why.

I'm not opposed to that idea, but flopping back it forth just feels like a headache when you're investing in one ecosystem and then abandoning it for the other. I don't know. Why the hell does the iPhone's OS have to feel so disjointed from every one of its components, like a cork board with arbitrary things tacked on...why do the developers treat their Apps on Android like an afterthought...why is the iPhone so expensive while the screen feels second rate...why why why.
I agree that it would just be easier to stick with one but I'm too weak for that. The grass is always greener on the other side and all that. You'll know what you prefer in time though. I switch back and froth often but if I HAD to choose one and stick with it for whatever reason I think in the end after experience both so damn much is I'd probably pick iPhone because of consistency from hardware to software to service to everything.

But I don't have to pick one :p

gcubed

In defense of iPhone:

iMessage
More fluid experience
Color accuracy
Apps feel more polished
Handoff with my Macbook

in defense of Nexus 6P:

Google Now
LED light is lovely
That battery life

Such a tough call.

Turn on sRGB in developer options. Color accuracy fixed. I honestly don't know why this option is hidden

I've tried using apples apps when I was thinking about an iPhone. Any functionality that makes you use apples mail and calendar aren't a plus.

Turn on sRGB in developer options. Color accuracy fixed. I honestly don't know why this option is hidden

I've tried using apples apps when I was thinking about an iPhone. Any functionality that makes you use apples mail and calendar aren't a plus.
I used the outlook app on ios and I use it on android as well. Plays really well with my work and personal email/calendar. Android version is worse though. It's buggier and just...worse.

clav

Actually, I take that back.

Perhaps we won't see AMOLED ever since they're still power inefficient especially for displaying whites.

LCD's advantage is power usage.

They could always introduce it and make people buy new cables.

reKon

Banned
The One Plus X is fucking hot phone at that price. Other than the lack of NFC, they nailed it at that price point. This is like some Xiami type shit here. Interested in seeing the battery life results.

The One Plus X is fucking hot phone at that price. Other than the lack of NFC, they nailed it at that price point. This is like some Xiami type shit here. Interested in seeing the battery life results.
Yeah I probably would have gotten the one plus X over the X play as far as a temp phone is concerned if it came out sooner. Better specs and better design. Only battery will be worse. Canadian pricing kills the value prop a bit but doesn't ruin it completely.

I might still get it just to fuck with it. I always gotta support human sized phones. Even from annoying companies. It's like a nexus 5 with an extra gig of ram, expandable storage, oled display, and better camera. And most definitely better battery life.

gcubed

I used the outlook app on ios and I use it on android as well. Plays really well with my work and personal email/calendar. Android version is worse though. It's buggier and just...worse.

Right, but that removes the integration with osx. The entire thing that killed my desire to switch to an iPhone was the terrible built in apps, which then mostly removed the benefit of integration with osx, removed any functionality that siri could possibly use to not make me miss Now, etc.

Decided if all I was going to do was run every Google app, it wasn't really worth it.

Right, but that removes the integration with osx. The entire thing that killed my desire to switch to an iPhone was the terrible built in apps, which then mostly removed the benefit of integration with osx, removed any functionality that siri could possibly use to not make me miss Now, etc.

Decided if all I was going to do was run every Google app, it wasn't really worth it.
I think the only built in app I disliked was mail. I see what you mean though. I use mostly google stuff other than outlook (keep, photos, etc...) but I found the apps to be pretty damn good on iOS so it never bugged me. It was like getting the best of all worlds for me. But yeah it will get better when apple lets you set defaults and all that.

That's actually one thing I like about the outlook app. It lets you set a default browser that links will open on within the app itself.

Do you not ever use apps or something? Ecosystem switching becomes unfeasible when you've built up a large enough collection of paid apps on either iOS or Android.

Do you not ever use apps or something? Ecosystem switching becomes unfeasible when you've built up a large enough collection of paid apps on either iOS or Android.
I've reached the point where I have a comfortable set of apps that I use consistently. Rarely get new ones these days unless something awesome pops up. And thankfully the apps I use I have on both OS's and they're usually tied to some sort of account.

Honestly the biggest hassle has always been transferring my texts lol. But apple made that easier with their app and these days it's not too hard to transfer texts from ios to android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom