• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

oh you mean gif's? or burst mode and do nothing and it'll make it for you or do you mean soundless video?

I mean like how the iPhone 6S does it.

I think there is an instagram created app called boomerang

I need Google Photos to have their own implementation of it. If Google can't do it, I will switch to iOS despite its shortcomings.

Do you not ever use apps or something? Ecosystem switching becomes unfeasible when you've built up a large enough collection of paid apps on either iOS or Android.

I'm ready to go whenever, I still have plenty of apps from when I was last on iOS. Switching is easy if you mostly use cross-platform services and apps and mobile apps are relatively inexpensive especially if you wait for sales. It only becomes a problem when apps you used to rely on stop getting updated forcing you to buy something else.

Draper

I've reached the point where I have a comfortable set of apps that I use consistently. Rarely get new ones these days unless something awesome pops up. And thankfully the apps I use I have on both OS's and they're usually tied to some sort of account.

Honestly the biggest hassle has always been transferring my texts lol. But apple made that easier with their app and these days it's not too hard to transfer texts from ios to android.

This is my first go about it, but I literally did everything that one was suppose to do in order to get iMessage disabled in order to prevent it from intercepting my messages. Even then it was a mess, for a while people could see my messages, but I couldn't see the responses, then it would stop them from sending messages to me all together. It was a mess to the point that I said fuck it and just threw my sim back into my iPhone and am now just using the 6P over wifi for this 'trial period'.

Have you encountered this at all with your hopping back and forth?

This is my first go about it, but I literally did everything that one was suppose to do in order to get iMessage disabled in order to prevent it from intercepting my messages. Even then it was a mess, for a while people could see my messages, but I couldn't see the responses, then it would stop them from sending messages to me all together. It was a mess to the point that I said fuck it and just threw my sim back into my iPhone and am now just using the 6P over wifi for this 'trial period'.

Have you encountered this at all with your hopping back and forth?
nope. I don't even disable it on their site lol. I just turn it off on the phone before I switch my SIM over. Never had an issue with it.

Fatalah

I'm moving to a new Verizon plan, time to let go of unlimited data.

Is there any reason to NOT sign a 2 year contract, instead of paying the full price of the phone over 24 months?

I'm moving to a new Verizon plan, time to let go of unlimited data.

Is there any reason to NOT sign a 2 year contract, instead of paying the full price of the phone over 24 months?

I'm sure there's a bunch of reasons, but not knowing the specifics, there's no real way to say.

nope. I don't even disable it on their site lol. I just turn it off on the phone before I switch my SIM over. Never had an issue with it.
moto x play for now but not gonna lie the OPX is tempting. I want smaller phones :( My upgrade is any time in 2016 so I'm basically saving it for S7/iphone 7/nexus whicever is best to me.

Fatalah

I'm sure there's a bunch of reasons, but not knowing the specifics, there's no real way to say.

I just don't see the catch to signing a 2 year contract. The price of the hardware is half compared to paying the full cost over 24 months. With a contract, you just have to pay half the hardware cost up front. Could that be the only downside?

I just don't see the catch to signing a 2 year contract. The price of the hardware is half compared to paying the full cost over 24 months. With a contract, you just have to pay half the hardware cost up front. Could that be the only downside?

Most carriers make the service cheaper if you're on a device payment plan so it kind of evens out at the end. I haven't signed a 2 year deal in ages so I don't know the specifics.

Jzero

Really liking the camera on the 6P. Still getting shit battery though, probably that damn marshmallow Bluetooth bug.

ONGG4Dx.jpg

Jzero

Is it normal for Battery optimization to reset itself every time i exit the setting? Every time i put battery optimization to "all apps" and exit the setting it goes back to "not optimized"

Jigolo

6.0 sucks at battery stats, at least on the Nexus 5. Taken from today:

Pretty normal I guess. I was at 2:38 SoT with 4% left. Sometimes I get a little more and sometimes I get a little less.

EDIT: The WiFi bug is already well documented. It's just misreading how much battery it really uses but it doesn't actually drain it anymore than normal.

EmiPrime

Yeah, the battery life is fine (or as fine as it can be; currently living somewhere that gets between 0 and 2 bars of reception), just a weird little bug that has slipped into the final release.

Pyrokai

I've reached the point where I have a comfortable set of apps that I use consistently. Rarely get new ones these days unless something awesome pops up. And thankfully the apps I use I have on both OS's and they're usually tied to some sort of account.

Honestly the biggest hassle has always been transferring my texts lol. But apple made that easier with their app and these days it's not too hard to transfer texts from ios to android.

I have never bought an app. Ever. I can't even think of one that would be worth the purchase. May I ask which ones you guys are buying? The only one I've ever been tempted to buy is Mint and/or YNAB.

Also, I don't play games on phones, so that doesn't count. I'm just genuinely curious what apps people are paying for. I have dozens and dozens of apps, but they're all free ones. Wondering which ones are paid for by people that are worth getting.

I have never bought an app. Ever. I can't even think of one that would be worth the purchase. May I ask which ones you guys are buying? The only one I've ever been tempted to buy is Mint and/or YNAB.

Also, I don't play games on phones, so that doesn't count. I'm just genuinely curious what apps people are paying for. I have dozens and dozens of apps, but they're all free ones. Wondering which ones are paid for by people that are worth getting.
nova launcher prime is a must if you use non-nexus android phones and even if you do!

Saiyan-Rox

Also, I don't play games on phones, so that doesn't count. I'm just genuinely curious what apps people are paying for. I have dozens and dozens of apps, but they're all free ones. Wondering which ones are pay.

Personally

PocketCasts
Nova Launcher Prime
Action Launcher
Textra
Falcon Pro
Talon
Fenix
Minecraft

I will say most of these I bought with GP Credit i've managed to get over the years such as the £15 I got with an old Chromebook.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
that's me through and through. Almost the same bullet points as well. When I use iOS I miss some stuff about Android a lot. Then when I switch to Android I realize how much I was taking stuff from the iphone for granted. From imessage to the higher quality apps to the overall user experience. Then I start missing that.

Eternally torn. Probably why I go back and forth so often. At present time I probably prefer the iphone a little more and am open to getting the 7, but all it would take is the perfect android phone to make me forget all about it. But we know that won't happen lol.

With you both -- I always try to not handcuff myself to either ecosystem so I can switch with minimal hassle. This past cycle on the 6/6s I find myself really attached to handoff with my MBP and Apple Pay. The later is alleviated with Android Pay, but there's no real substitute for iMessage/HandOff. The app quality has always irked me as well but that's getting a lot better. I always end up going back and forth -- haven't been on Android since the N5 but the N6P may be the one to go back for this cycle.

Husker86

Ok, just because I feel like I have to find a flaw in the 6P...the power and volume buttons trigger too easily. They should have been a lot stiffer.

clav

Ok, just because I feel like I have to find a flaw in the 6P...the power and volume buttons trigger too easily. They should have been a lot stiffer.

When the phone breaks, you buy a new one or hope you have Android care or whatever that warranty package is.

No repair shop is going to want this phone.

I'm looking for a new phone, mid to upper tier specs are fine, good battery life that can get me 10-12 hours of medium use. Is the 6P an option, or should I wait to 2016?

clav

So I just took a peek at my Galaxy S3 USB port, and I notice a crack in the midframe.

I suppose that's why now that borders you see on today's smartphones are now all metal. Well, at least most smartphones that utilize that design.

So what does one do?

Whatever the hell they want. The math for doing 2-year contract compared to the new installment plans matches up fairly closely unless you're paying $100 a month for 20 GB of data or something. 2-year contract costs slightly less than installments but you're locked in for 2 years. For most people, the difference isn't dramatically significant.

Shiggy

So I just took a peek at my Galaxy S3 USB port, and I notice a crack in the midframe.

I suppose that's why now that borders you see on today's smartphones are now all metal. Well, at least most smartphones that utilize that design.

What did you do with your S3 that it still works? For mine the USB port and the audio plug broke, at some point the entire phone did not start anymore.

It was incredibly slow too due to TouchWiz. Has that become any better with Samsung's new devices?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
What did you do with your S3 that it still works? For mine the USB port and the audio plug broke, at some point the entire phone did not start anymore.

It was incredibly slow too due to TouchWiz. Has that become any better with Samsung's new devices?
I've got the Note 5 and it's smooth as butter.

Agram

Guys, Xperia Z5 or Galaxy S6 Edge? I don't know which one to buy and I'm leaning towards Z5 only because Samsung phones (in my opinion) are very ugly.

Shiggy

I've got the Note 5 and it's smooth as butter.
The S3 and S4 became really slow after about a year when the successors were launched.

Guys, Xperia Z5 or Galaxy S6 Edge? I don't know which one to buy and I'm leaning towards Z5 only because Samsung phones (in my opinion) are very ugly.

Z5 then? Using an Xperia phone and the software is really smooth and working well.

kinggroin

Banned
Is it normal for Battery optimization to reset itself every time i exit the setting? Every time i put battery optimization to "all apps" and exit the setting it goes back to "not optimized"

It's not resetting itself.

People are getting confused with that page. When you change the drop down from not optimized to all apps, its showing you a list of all the current battery optimized apps; NOT that it's optimizing "all apps"

That's just an information page, not a setting.

Do you understand?

You change battery optimization per app. By default, most apps are already set to battery optimized.

Didn't find it in the last 3 pages, or missed it (no one reads!), but ...

Nexus 5X is now orderable on the german Google store.
Starting at a mere 479,- €, please note that prices in Italy might be higher!

How's the situation on the other second tier EU countries? Anyone still interested in the devices here?

kami_sama

Didn't find it in the last 3 pages, or missed it (no one reads!), but ...

Nexus 5X is now orderable on the german Google store.
Starting at a mere 479,- €, please note that prices in Italy might be higher!

How's the situation on the other second tier EU countries? Anyone still interested in the devices here?

479€ here in Spain. I'm not interested in buying it. 2GB of ram and 32GB of storage for 529€ is too much. It does also have a mediocre battery.

In the end I bought an OPT. Very happy with the device.

Maiar_m

Available in France as well (479€). I'm not even considering the purchase and at that price I'm not sure why anyone would.

hitgirl

How do you connect to multiple bluetooth devices on 6.0? When I'm in the car it only connects to either my car OR my bluetooth AUX dongle.. I think I can connect to both.

Hasney

How do you connect to multiple bluetooth devices on 6.0? When I'm in the car it only connects to either my car OR my bluetooth AUX dongle.. I think I can connect to both.

It just does on my Nexus 6. Constantly got my watch and headphones on at the same time and they're both working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom