• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
This is now the Apple Event thread.

What are you most looking forward to? I'm really curious to see all the Force Touch specific 2nd functions throughout the OS, like long pressing WiFi, etc. So close to Android parity in that regard, finally.

Want to see if the A9 is tricore like i expect it to be (from the leaks the SoC looks bigger than the A8), if it's on 14nm FinFET and if they managed to make it more power efficient.
Also curious to see if the camera sensor has pixels the same size as before (1.5µ) or they had to reduce it for the bump of megapixels and if the phone will eventually take better pictures than the Sony Z5 line.

Reckoner

Want to see if the A9 is tricore like i expect it to be (from the leaks the SoC looks bigger than the A8), if it's on 14nm FinFET and if they managed to make it more power efficient.
Also curious to see if the camera sensor has pixels the same size as before (1.5µ) or they had to reduce it for the bump of megapixels and if the phone will eventually take better pictures than the Sony Z5 line.

From what I read, the camera sensors on the Z5 are temporarily exclusive and Sony is Apple's supplier. Not sure how it will be, but iPhones usually have the best cameras.

I'm interested to see how Apple implements Force Touch. I lol hard at the android OEMs who are doing the whole "first!!!" thing with shitty implementations.

Other than that I'd like ios9 to launch already. Built in ad blocker woowoowoo.

After that what do we have to look forward to? Just the nexus announcement which might be a press release for all we know....there is HTCs thing. That's it until 2016 flagships right?

I can't think of a single thing I'm looking forward to from Apple. Nothing they've released lately has been the least bit desirable. The hardware is predictable and boring, the software is still the worst looking garbage on mobile devices. It's funny that they beat Google to the punch with side-by-side apps, while improving it over Microsoft's original implementation. Kudos for that. But also absolutely necessary if they want to go Pro with the iPad.

But hey, maybe they'll blow me away and I'll get the iPad Pro over the Surface Pro 4.

Just kidding, only idiots buy first gen hardware.

From what I read, the camera sensors on the Z5 are temporarily exclusive and Sony is Apple's supplier. Not sure how it will be, but iPhones usually have the best cameras.

iPhones have the best camera because of their software.

reKon

Banned
The only thing that Apple has recently impressed me with is how great multitasking/multiwindow looks on the iPad Air 2.

I'm still disappointed in the pricing/storage options on the iPad line.

iPhone 6 hardware/software is still boring and the camera is easily the best hardware feature about the phone next to fingerprint security.

clav

I can't think of a single thing I'm looking forward to from Apple. Nothing they've released lately has been the least bit desirable. The hardware is predictable and boring, the software is still the worst looking garbage on mobile devices. It's funny that they beat Google to the punch with side-by-side apps, while improving it over Microsoft's original implementation. Kudos for that. But also absolutely necessary if they want to go Pro with the iPad.

But hey, maybe they'll blow me away and I'll get the iPad Pro over the Surface Pro 4.

Just kidding, only idiots buy first gen hardware.

iPhones have the best camera because of their software.

I might consider an iPhone if MS really has nothing to show this year.

Also looking forward to the Nexus phones.

Wreav

Banned
The "iPhone hardware is boring" argument is strange to me. Do you have an example of some Android hardware that is exciting to you?

Only thing I wish Apple would do is slap some front facing speakers on. The rest of their builds are perfection.

Reckoner

The "iPhone hardware is boring" argument is strange to me. Do you have an example of some Android hardware that is exciting to you?

Only thing I wish Apple would do is slap some front facing speakers on. The rest of their builds are perfection.

The iPhone 6 can be both elegant and awful. In its own way. I like how thin it is, but with it come downsides to the usability. And the protruding camera and antenna lines kind ruin it. But it's great how it feels like a well built, seemly, piece of hardware. For my personal taste, I already talked about the Z5. Even though it's blocky and has the oem logos all over the place, there's something appealing to its design language and basically has none of the design cons of the iPhone.

Hasney

For me, I'd need the plus to have front facing speakers, that 2GB RAM boost and a screen to bezel ratio closer to that of the Nexus 6 on the Plus. Probably would still need actionable notifications from an Android Wear watch, I really hate the look of their watch and I've gotten so used to mine. But that's the biggest longshot in the world.

Wreav

Banned
So while I totally agree on the 2gb RAM front, I wonder if they'd even acknowledge that stat bump tomorrow. Usually they don't dive into RAM, and instead focus on SoC improvements.

Hasney

So while I totally agree on the 2gb RAM front, I wonder if they'd even acknowledge that stat bump tomorrow. Usually they don't dive into RAM, and instead focus on SoC improvements.

Yeah, any reference will be in a roundabout way in performance improvements and it won't be until the reviews come in that we'll know for sure. Although someone in the press usually runs an app to verify it during a first hands on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The speaker placement on iPad Air 2 is so annoying. If you use it in portrait resting on your lap,nthe speaker is muffled by your body. If you use it in landscape th person next to you can hear it clearer than you can. I'd love front facing speakers on iPad but I doubt they'd ever compromise the minimal look of the front face.

Reckoner

The speaker placement on iPad Air 2 is so annoying. If you use it in portrait resting on your lap,nthe speaker is muffled by your body. If you use it in landscape th person next to you can hear it clearer than you can. I'd love front facing speakers on iPad but I doubt they'd ever compromise the minimal look of the front face.

I bet Apple will figure out a way to make front facing speakers hidden with some laser technique that they will market with a fancy name.

Will be interesting to see Apple take over yet another piece of the tech market with the App Store on the new Apple TV. Too bad Google screwed up yet again.

Isn't the Chromecast doing swimmingly well? Granted, it's no Apple TV, but still...

I love my Chromecast but the selection of compatible apps is pitiful and you just know that there's going to be so many more developers who'd rather create apps from scratch specifically for Apple TV than implement Chromecast support on an existing app.

Will be interesting to see Apple take over yet another piece of the tech market with the App Store on the new Apple TV. Too bad Google screwed up yet again.

What did they do wrong other than not being Apple?
I love my Chromecast but the selection of compatible apps is pitiful and you just know that there's going to be so many more developers who'd rather create apps from scratch specifically for Apple TV than implement Chromecast support on an existing app.
Genuine curiosity, what are you missing out on service wise? The only ones I use but haven't tried yet are Pivotshare and Vimeo, and as I understand it they do support chromecast at least through the browser.

EmiPrime

Scrolling speed on iOS makes me want to put my thumb through the touch screen. I don't know how anyone can put up with it. It's like being forced to use a mouse at the lowest sensitivity but with no way to change it.

Not being able to pick default apps, bad notifications, no widgets, no app drawer, no easy access to the file system, crap multi-tasking making syncing a pain are other things that let iOS down.

Sometimes I feel the need to get an iOS device for myself because they dominate what used to be Mac exclusive sites but then I use one for 5 minutes and that desire usually goes away. Android M is fixing a lot of common Android complaints and I feel like Android has progressed a lot in the last 3 years. iOS has stagnated massively especially on the phone (the new tablet exclusive features in iOS 9 are nice).

Wreav

Banned
I'm not sure it's fair to criticize iOS a day before a major rev release, while singing the praises of another unreleased OS.

We haven't seen nearly everything iOS 9 will do on new hardware.

That being said, you're right about at least default icons and app drawer/homescreen customization. File system I couldn't give 2 shits about, and multitasking works better than the N9 at least.

reKon

Banned

No it's not perfection. It's this kind of thinking that made it take forever for them to move on bigger screens. They have nice hardware, but there have been better and more functional/innovating looking phones released or potentially will be. HTC's dual front facing speakers were great and the HTC One M7 was a better looking phone than anything else including iPhone's today. There are still multiple company's still making phones based off of the design language of the M7.

I really think the software is the much more boring part than the hardware though.

Furyous

Scrolling speed on iOS makes me want to put my thumb through the touch screen. I don't know how anyone can put up with it. It's like being forced to use a mouse at the lowest sensitivity but with no way to change it.

Not being able to pick default apps, bad notifications, no widgets, no app drawer, no easy access to the file system, crap multi-tasking making syncing a pain are other things that let iOS down.

Sometimes I feel the need to get an iOS device for myself because they dominate what used to be Mac exclusive sites but then I use one for 5 minutes and that desire usually goes away. Android M is fixing a lot of common Android complaints and I feel like Android has progressed a lot in the last 3 years. iOS has stagnated massively especially on the phone (the new tablet exclusive features in iOS 9 are nice).

iOS has widgets. The rest of your response is a bit circlejerky but you're entitled to your own opinion. Meanwhile, is there any news on the Z5 front? Any reviews or impressions available seeing as how it apparently went on sale in the UK from what I heard?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

What did they do wrong other than not being Apple?Genuine curiosity, what are you missing out on service wise? The only ones I use but haven't tried yet are Pivotshare and Vimeo, and as I understand it they do support chromecast at least through the browser.

This? How is the app selection pitiful other than the Amazon deal?

I mean Netflix works. HBO works. Plex works. All of Google's apps work. All of the major TV shit like WatchESPN works.

I'm struggling to find what they are missing that's so pitiful?

Unless they went in thinking the device was something it isn't? It's just a media device to get content on your TV?

EmiPrime

I'm not sure it's fair to criticize iOS a day before a major rev release, while singing the praises of another unreleased OS.

We haven't seen nearly everything iOS 9 will do on new hardware.

That being said, you're right about at least default icons and app drawer/homescreen customization. File system I couldn't give 2 shits about, and multitasking works better than the N9 at least.

I don't think it's unfair as it would require a massive change of heart from Apple for any of these things to stop being true. Google don't seem as held back by dogma; if iOS is doing something better they're not afraid to steal that idea, while Apple even when they do swallow their pride on something and give in, they hamstring it (third party keyboards). At this point iMessage and the iOS app store are the only advantages the iPhone has over Android phones.

And who knows! Maybe next year Google will start giving a shit about tablets!

they won't

This? How is the app selection pitiful other than the Amazon deal?

I mean Netflix works. HBO works. Plex works. All of Google's apps work. All of the major TV shit like WatchESPN works.

I'm struggling to find what they are missing that's so pitiful?

Unless they went in thinking the device was something it isn't? It's just a media device to get content on your TV?

I'm in Canada. Only 1 major TV network supports Chromecast (CTV). None of the sports networks (Sportsnet, TSN, NHL) support it. I'm more than willing to bet that they'll all build apps for Apple TV within a year.

LeleSocho

Banned

I know that's why i'm curious to see which is better, Sony didn't want to give the sensor to anyone which means it has to be a very very good one but Apple's ISP and camera software are the best in the business hands down so i want to see if in this battle wins the better sensor or the better ISP/software.

When it comes to Sony (and others who do it) I simply can't take a company seriously when they announce a lineup of devices without concrete launch dates/availability. Are you a big player or an amateur?

The new Blu Pure XL sounds rather good on paper no?
it's even bigger in dimensions than the nexus 6. Anyway for those interested, here it is. Coming to amazon on sept 29 for $349 USD.

1JDBDIt.png

Huge props on 64gb storage for 350 though. Still would never get but respect. The skin is still terrible, I'm sure the camera software is bad, I'm sure it'll never get updates, etc...

Hasney

it's even bigger in dimensions than the nexus 6. Anyway for those interested, here it is. Coming to amazon on sept 29 for $349 USD.

Huge props on 64gb storage for 350 though. Still would never get but respect. The skin is still terrible, I'm sure the camera software is bad, I'm sure it'll never get updates, etc...

I'd be interested, but no ac wireless kills it for me.

zewone

Almost no reason to buy this with N6's price drop to $350.

Reckoner

iOS has widgets. The rest of your response is a bit circlejerky but you're entitled to your own opinion. Meanwhile, is there any news on the Z5 front? Any reviews or impressions available seeing as how it apparently went on sale in the UK from what I heard?

Just pre-orders up. It comes out next month, October 8.

I know that's why i'm curious to see which is better, Sony didn't want to give the sensor to anyone which means it has to be a very very good one but Apple's ISP and camera software are the best in the business hands down so i want to see if in this battle wins the better sensor or the better ISP/software.

They partened with the Sony Alpha guys, from what they told, so they must have a great camera software too. I can't believe that Sony, who right now rules the profissional camera business once again can't make great software for their own sensors.

When it comes to Sony (and others who do it) I simply can't take a company seriously when they announce a lineup of devices without concrete launch dates/availability. Are you a big player or an amateur?

The most incredible thing is how they are the ones holding them back and they can't seem to figure out their stuff. It's frustrating.

thuway

Huawei just lost my sale with the 5.5 inch Nexus 6. I went ahead and ordered the Moto Nexus off Amazon. If something changes, I still have 30 days to return, but what are you thinking Google. Why in the blue hell would you have a phone with that big of a footprint and only a 5.5 inch screen.

SimleuqiR

The Nexus 5X in white is growing on me.
LLShC.gif

I kind of want it now. Wouldn't mind rocking a white phone. My only fear is that it will stain easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom