• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who's disappointed with their new Nexus?

Agent

Using sRGB mode on 6p or not?

I tried it out but didn't like it. The screen seemed washed out to me so I switched back to normal color settings. I've seen just as many people prefer sRGB though. It's just a personal preference.

The main screen setting I changed was turning adaptive brightness off. It makes a world of difference in the screen to me.

Kevyt

So that video where the guy (JerryRigEverything) easily bends the Nexus 6p, well he decided to do it a second time (sort of): Nexus 6p is a joke! Round TWO - Why does it bend?

Very interesting, if I may so myself.

Edit:

giphy.gif

Yikes. :S

Don't worry friend, your time will come.

Phone feels fantastic. It is a damn shame that I will have a case around this beauty.

yup, hopefully it's worth the wait.

kinggroin

Banned
Who's disappointed with their new Nexus?

I am.

Battery only gets somewhat the same life as my OG N6 (4-4.5 hrs SoT)

Camera might not be the best ever made for a smartphone.

Build is so premium, I'm afraid of leaving it naked.

Finger print scanner tends to unlock so fast that I miss my lockscreen wallpaper nearly every time.

The speakers are annoyingly loud that I tend to not bother with my car stereo. Now I feel lazy.

Meh. Only thing it has going for it is Android as the base OS. Flawless software experience crafted by the master architects at Google!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why are all Android screens rubbish compared to iPhone screens? I am specifically talking about the way iPhone screens display content like the content is painted on the screen. There is like zero space between the glass and the content. It's been years and it isn't common on non-iPhones.

kinggroin

Banned
Why are all Android screens rubbish compared to iPhone screens? I am specifically talking about the way iPhone screens display content like the content is painted on the screen. There is like zero space between the glass and the content. It's been years and it isn't common on non-iPhones.

Yeah I can't stand it either.

Though I will say, the GS6+ I played with comes pretty close to feeling the same. Like you're interacting with pixels, not glass.

other flagships use the same tech but like everything else, the implementation/execution isn't as good as apple. And there's rumours that they might have something better for the iphone 7 lol. Not sure how much better it can get.

SimleuqiR

So that video where the guy (JerryRigEverything) easily bends the Nexus 6p, well he decided to do it a second time (sort of): Nexus 6p is a joke! Round TWO - Why does it bend?

Very interesting, if I may so myself.

Edit:

giphy.gif

Yikes. :S

yup, hopefully it's worth the wait.

It's the Huawei.
Like I said, the Nexus 5X is probably more durable.
Wish LG was the one making the premium device, but like Samsung I don't think they care enough to give the Nexus line their best smartphone.

Gotta say, a Pixel phone sounds more and more like something I want to see.
Hope Google stops fucking around and make their own phones.

Bboy AJ

Yeah I can't stand it either.

Though I will say, the GS6+ I played with comes pretty close to feeling the same. Like you're interacting with pixels, not glass.
The Gram is infinitely better on iphones because of this.

other flagships use the same tech but like everything else, the implementation/execution isn't as good as apple. And there's rumours that they might have something better for the iphone 7 lol. Not sure how much better it can get.
Apple stays winning. It's just baffling how Apple has done this screen for years and no one has caught up.

Condom

S6 edge blows iPhone out of the water from what I've tried. I was literally amazed when I got to see that screen yesterday.

Bruh you are far too hyperbolic at times.

kinggroin

Banned
The Gram is infinitely better on iphones because of this.

Apple stays winning. It's just baffling how Apple has done this screen for years and no one has caught up.

False. It's infinitely better because of 3D Touch.

The gram is. Short for Instagram; you're welcome.

It's alright. However, there is noticeable lag/jank if you're going from a Nexus 5 to an Aqua M4.
Small, but there.

Well the 615 is trash, but overall this is probably a better buy than the Moto G 2015 at this point. It has full LTE support for both AT&T and T-Mobile, but I would be wary of getting an update to 6.0.

The camera is also supposed to be crap.

CronoShot

So far really enjoying my time with the 6P, but I noticed one thing.

There's this strange, buzzing-type noise when I plug in headphones, but don't have any audio playing. It's a very low noise, so I'm not sure if it continues when audio is actually playing, but weirdly enough, the noise stops if I go to the home screen of the launcher. It only happens when I'm in an app (any app, even the dialer).

Anyone else run into that? I mean, it's not atrocious, and definitely not a deal breaker, but it's something weird I noticed.

Saiyan-Rox

So far really enjoying my time with the 6P, but I noticed one thing.

There's this strange, buzzing-type noise when I plug in headphones, but don't have any audio playing. It's a very low noise, so I'm not sure if it continues when audio is actually playing, but weirdly enough, the noise stops if I go to the home screen of the launcher. It only happens when I'm in an app (any app, even the dialer).

Anyone else run into that? I mean, it's not atrocious, and definitely not a deal breaker, but it's something weird I noticed.

Don't hear anything from mine.

The only issue I see from mine so far is that sometimes when waking the phone up with the scanner the screen isn't at Max brightness and takes a second or two to suddenly go bright.

Saiyan-Rox

This is the first time i've decided to wait for an OTA rather than side load it since it's just a security patch.

Now I see what people mean about it taking god damn ages. there's apparently 2 OTA one to build MDB08K and then to MDB08M and haven't gotten any yet.

BTW anyone with a 6P using chrome and the gaf dark theme do you have white dots beside text on the very right of the screen?

NotBacon

Lolwtf my Play Store........ search bar font has updated to the new Goog font. BUT STILL NO CAROUSEL. Their use of server side feature flags is intense.

tzare

The SD615 should fly at 720p. Phone probably has pretty good performance.

I own one. It doesn't. It is okay... that's it. If it is the 8GB device you may face some issues installing apps even if fw updates have helped a bit. It doesn't perform that much better than a 410 device in normal usage, only in gaming due to better gpu.

It is a nice device, and probably better than other phones mainly due to its 2GB of ram, and being waterproof is a plus. But i think my Ascend G7 (SD410-2GB ram) performs better (except for 3D gaming as i said)
M4 will get marshmallow, directly from 5.0, when , i do not know. Camera is average,what you would expect for its price. Decent with light though. And slow as most sony smartphone cameras.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OK this battery update that I received on my Note 5 is definitely legit. 20 something hours on, it's at 50% with 3 hours of on screen time. So good.

Bboy AJ

We desperately need force touch next year. And good screens.

tzare

We desperately need force touch next year. And good screens.

i hope force touch is not a priority. I have ben playing with my friends 6s and well, it is okay i guess but nothing huge. Oh and my note 4 screen destroys iphone 6s screen so i guess we already have good screens.

Maiar_m

I can more than deal with no force touch. I don't think it's good UI and it's nothing long-presses can't do. I'd prefer significant R&D time to go into power consumption efficiency than into another gimmick.

I can more than deal with no force touch. I don't think it's good UI and it's nothing long-presses can't do. I'd prefer significant R&D time to go into power consumption efficiency than into another gimmick.
long presses are not the same as 3d touch. Not sure why some people keep saying that.

It's not a gimmick either. It's a feature that will be standard on smartphones and it's a new way of interacting with a mobile OS. Fast forward a little while from now and we'll all be doing it as if it was second nature. The implimentations are straight up useful that I've seen so far. I really don't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

long presses are not the same as 3d touch. Not sure why some people keep saying that.

It's not a gimmick either. It's a feature that will be standard on smartphones and it's a new way of interacting with a mobile OS. Fast forward a little while from now and we'll all be doing it as if it was second nature. The implimentations are straight up useful that I've seen so far. I really don't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

Because people haven't seen a lot of good examples.

Bboy AJ

It's no gimmick. Youll appreciate the new UI when it develops. It's fantastic.

All I know is shortcuts to app functions and moving the cursor. Anything else?
The app shortcuts are great, like you mentioned.
The cursor idea is genius.
The potential for gaming is obviously there, it's a whole other button or two that you can press anywhere on the display.
The ability to peak into apps/parts of an app/links/etc... (I like it for links more) is pretty damn useful. The "thumbnails" that pop are are interactable as well so you can get things done quicker.
A way of getting around the OS without any buttons (hard or soft) is paved with 3D touch. in iOS9 there's already a way to get to the app switcher by pressing down hard on the edge. Not sure if there's a way to get to the homescreen from any app but I'm sure it can't be terribly far away.

etc...and this is just first time at bat stuff. A year or two from now I'm sure it'll be doing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom